The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 March 2011, 12:17 PM   #31
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone.345 View Post
I definitely won't be purchasing new. I'd be looking to spend around $26,000, of course less if I found a deal. At that price one could expect it to hold it's value pretty well, no?
NO! A 'steal' for the Everose would be closer to $19k, slightly more if like new. Look at the WG version, also lists in low 30's, but you can find them in excellent condition, complete around $16500 - $17000. Solid gold Rolexes are a thing of beauty, but terrible 'investments', unless bought at stupid discounts. And look, you've waited this long, so I am sure you can hold off for a bit more and find that steal. Even if they aren't out there now, they will be. The novelty of the Everrose will wear off, and you'll see more and more on the secondary market, mark my words.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 12:33 PM   #32
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Thanks to everyone, I appreciate all of your opinions. You all have been very kind and welcoming. As I don't really know what it is going to cost me to live on my own it is probably best I wait. Man it's going to be hard though.
Just do what you want to do, and sell me the GMTII-c !
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 12:40 PM   #33
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I see no problem spending your money but buy hyourself something that you like and will make you happy for years to come

When it comes to buying a gold Daytona, you need and I mean need to purchase preowned!!! As Greg (MOSCO) said above a sold gold Rolex is a terrible investment and the $$$ you would lose should you have to sell in the future as you mentioned will be sizable!

I would contact one of the trusted sellers here on the forum and have them source you a nice preowned one that you wont take such a hit on... Mosco/JustRolexes/Bodybump/DavidSw just to name a few, they will take amazing care of you

Adam
Old 7 March 2011, 01:27 PM   #34
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
this reminds me on how to build a watch collection. i want a TT DJ for my formal/dress watch

but as i am learning, there are so many other steel watches that are very fit to use in dress/formal occasions.

so i guess there Gold is not really a requirement for dress watches
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 05:34 PM   #35
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
I'm totally with you on the everose Daytona, but it's a lot of money to spend on a piece that you may not feel comfortable wearing all the time (i.e. looks from new co-workers, bars/clubs, etc.).

Also, from a cost perspective, the value of the watch will halve as soon as you buy it (not so much if you purchase from the forum), but it's not something you can consider a 'sound' investment....IMO all gold watches are a personal indulgence and should be treated as such - really just for you to enjoy.

I agree that it is an amazing watch, but why not just get a SS Daytona for now, and reward yourself with the everose in the in the future for a real accomplishment.....a crown for every achievement!!
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 01:21 AM   #36
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
I agree that it is an amazing watch, but why not just get a SS Daytona for now, and reward yourself with the everose in the in the future for a real accomplishment.....a crown for every achievement!!
Phenomenal advice

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 02:19 AM   #37
gig

Watch: ss Sub date
Always think about diversity in your portfolio. As you will find out the more you participate with the Forum, we don't look at watches as investments, but you should be mindful of your mix of real estate, stock/bonds and other assets. I wouldn't put too much into a watch at this stage.
gig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 02:51 AM   #38
FLB03TT
Banned

Watch: PAM, G.O., G.P.
Another consideration: I would think twice about starting a new job as a young man right out of school with a $30,000+ solid gold Rolex on my wrist. I can't think of any occupation, other than Pimp, where that level of watch would benefit your career.
FLB03TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 03:01 AM   #39
JVP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k Submariner
If you have to ask...you probably shouldn't be buying one.
JVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 06:05 AM   #40
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl6118 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has advised you that gold Rollies drop a ton in value the minute you walk out of the store. You probably will never get your money out of reselling a gold Rollie watch, just take a look at the resale value of them in the For Sale section on this site. You're much better off buying SS, they hold their value a lot better!
I agree!
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 06:18 AM   #41
kerrison

Watch: Rolex DateJust
Quote:
Thanks to everyone, I appreciate all of your opinions. You all have been very kind and welcoming. As I don't really know what it is going to cost me to live on my own it is probably best I wait. Man it's going to be hard though.
Don't be too discouraged as you still have your fanyastic GMTIIc . I don't think many of us manage to afford it at such a young age . All the very best to you.

Last edited by kerrison; 8 March 2011 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: terrible spelling!
kerrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 06:21 AM   #42
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I would wait it out and see where you are in a year or two. Life is a lot more expensive than you think. And in a year or two if the savings is still there and you are dying to get the watch still then you can make the purchase knowing you are in a good position to buy it.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 07:44 AM   #43
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
If you buy a Daytona... please do yourself a favor and get the SS.

Good luck.
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 07:50 AM   #44
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
I say get it Now.I am Very Happy that I purchased my Wifes and Mine when I did or else We probably would never have them.
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 08:20 AM   #45
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
If you've taken care of the necessities, I don't see why not. It's better than buying a car or computers/games. Just keep in mind that it's not necessarily an everyday watch so you're spending a ton on an occasional use watch.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 11:36 AM   #46
TonyPhilly
"TRF" Member

I'm in a very similar situation. My father gave me some good advice. Get a nice watch, but one that you will wear often (or everyday). Hold off on the secondary watches and buy them when you make achievements in life. It will make each watch that much more special.
TonyPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote