The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 July 2022, 06:04 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Anybody else attract idiots on Ebay?

Anyone have stories about buying/selling on the good ol Universal internet store? I don’t know what it is, but I must have a hidden sign on my postings that says: “If you’re a moron please bid/buy/sell me” Take my current listing for example.

I am selling a GPS. It is a year old, in very good condition and near top of the line. I include lots of pictures, start the bidding at $199, with a buy it now of $329; very reasonable pricing. I include free shipping, and clearly state there are no accessories, it is functioning perfectly, and the reason I am selling is I purchased the higher-end model with the bigger screen.

It is not up 30 minutes and I get my first question: What accessories are included, is there anything wrong with it/why am I selling, and he “can do” $200 if I ship it for free. … … … Don’t people read the listing? Not even mentioning the incredible offer of buying it for one dollar more then my starting bid (IF I included free shipping…. Which I did anyway in the listing).

Last month I sold an old Tumi bag. The buyer contacted me asking to return, saying there were marks on it. Not wanting to argue, I immediately agree and say send it back and I’ll refund it. In my original posting it said returns accepted within 30 days, buyer pays return shipping. He contacts me after a couple days and says he tried to send it back, but they (UPS) wouldn’t take it back unless he paid the shipping. He asked me for a return label. I copied and pasted the original post showing him the part of the original listing saying buyer paid return shipping, and a couple more days goes buy. Then he sends me a copy of a shipping label for the return shipping, and asks me to paypal him the amount. I got the bag, refunded his winning bid amount, and then got contacted by Ebay, he had opened a case for return shipping payment. I won, so he finally did end up paying, but what a moron.

I think one that really rung was I sold the powered-brush head to a Dyson. I VERY CLEARLY stated which model it was from, and that it won’t work on any other. Of course, after this ding-bat in BF Oklahoma receives it, she sends me a note saying it won’t fit machine, how come I didn’t send her the correct model and send her the right one or she would complain to Ebay. I won’t write down what I told her she could do with the item but you get the jist.

Is it just me? Or does anyone else have stories?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 06:13 PM   #2
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Last month I sold an old Tumi bag.
Goodness me, I've just got up and don't deserve a shock like that first thing on a morning. It must have been like pulling your own teeth Paul.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 07:11 PM   #3
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Goodness me, I've just got up and don't deserve a shock like that first thing on a morning. It must have been like pulling your own teeth Paul.
X2
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 07:19 PM   #4
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Dealing with eBay is remarkably painful. I highly recommend staying away from it. I’ve sold a few phones on there over the past 10 years and every single time it just wasn’t worth it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 07:20 PM   #5
330ci
"TRF" Member

My favorite was I sold someone a set of rare Porsche 911 Gt3 996 BBS rims out in California. I had shipped them UPS and uploaded the tracking. About 2 weeks went by, I hadn't heard anything then all of a sudden I get a "item not received case". The buyer never contacted me which I thought was strange, and figured there must be an error in shipping. I looked at the code I entered and it was another number off the receipt, I re input the correct tracking and it showed the item was delivered a week prior and the guy was trying to get his money back after delivery. I sent a nasty message to the guy telling him what a scumbag I thought he was. I was going to repossess my rims and make a stupid YouTube video of me flying out and doing it if I got screwed.

Another time I sent out some Cadillac XLR-V headlights, tracking showed up all the way out for delivery but was never scanned delivered. Guy filed a claim on ebay and won despite the post office telling me someone just missed a scan, cost me $600 at the time...that was 10 years ago. Speaking of "good investments" each of those headlights is conservatively worth $750/ea today and since mine were take offs, likely closer to $3k for the pair.

Most of the time I get complaints its people wanting partial refunds. To the ones that sound like they're just making complaints in hopes of getting a few dollars back, I just encourage them to ship it back for a full refund and generally never hear back and avoid a negative feedback this way.

Otherwise if its something I mess up, I go above and beyond to take care of my customers, like a lady who received the wrong doll a week ago and its taken 3 weeks for her to get her proper doll as a result since I sent hers elsewhere. She's going to get her order refunded ($129) and an apology for the huge inconvenience. Alot of times people buy stuff and expect me to return it like Amazon. I have offered no returns for years and while it doesn't absolve you from making mistakes, it does cut down on the amount of morons you have to deal with. As long as people don't abuse the system and put the item was damaged or not as described, which automatically triggers an automatic return through eBay. It works pretty well. I still haven't figured out how to get my shipping refunded in the event that happens, but its just apart of doing business on the platform to me at this point.

In the end I think most of this is a sign of broader entitlement problems our society suffers but that digresses into dangerous territory here.

So I'll leave off with a quote from the late George Carlin. "Think of how dumb the average American is, then realize half of them are dumber than that!"
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 07:49 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
In the past 18 years I have has 900 purchases on EBay with no negatives and have only had a few issues that were easily fixed.

Selling on EBay, however, is not something I would ever consider doing.

Too many potential purchase scams and also being in South Australia.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 08:11 PM   #7
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I used to sell quite a bit on Ebay. Not anymore and haven't in years. Ebay always sides with the buyer.

I have bought a few items recently but just won't sell. Like everything else, times have changed.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 08:26 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Too funny Paul

Honestly this is why we don’t sell our used stuff, not worth the hassle.

We put it up on our local marketplace in the “Free” section. I’d rather see someone who needs it benefit.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 09:02 PM   #9
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Sorry Paul, such things are bound to happen when selling online. Myself would be very reluctant using Ebay for selling.

And I'm doing my best not to be an A-h0l€ as a buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Too funny Paul

Honestly this is why we don’t sell our used stuff, not worth the hassle.

We put it up on our local marketplace in the “Free” section. I’d rather see someone who needs it benefit.
I agree, Brian. Same here. But to each their own. Now that I think of it, I "need" one more Rolex. I don't mind used ones, especially freebies
Old 26 July 2022, 09:54 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Sorry Paul, such things are bound to happen when selling online. Myself would be very reluctant using Ebay for selling.

And I'm doing my best not to be an A-h0l€ as a buyer.

I agree, Brian. Same here. But to each their own. Now that I think of it, I "need" one more Rolex. I don't mind used ones, especially freebies

My remarks were certainly not meant to disparage Paul or anyone. For the record, I learned the same as Paul that by in large, I seem to attract the nut-bars when it came to selling used stuff.

When we renovated our home we sold the appliances (about 5 years old at the time) so I threw them up on "Kijiji" (our Verizon of Craigslist). I had a couple agree to buy them for the advertised price. When they came to our home to pick them up, they started to "negotiate":chuckle". When I had had enough, I politely asked them to leave. Ended up donating them to Habitat for Humanity. A few days later, the same couple called me to see if I still had them as they'd thought about it and agreed to pay the advertised price.

That was the straw for me.

For some reason, any time I've sold a watch its worked out great.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 10:12 PM   #11
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Paul, I completely sympathize with you. Having been an eBay seller since 1999, I no longer sell on the site for the same reasons that you have stated. I primarily sold watches and model trains with feedback in the thousands. I no longer sell those items any more but occasionally have the need to sell some household items like you have. Rather than going to eBay, I donate most to a local church. It's not eBay, it's people today. Sad but true!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 10:28 PM   #12
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

My remarks were certainly not meant to disparage Paul or anyone. For the record, I learned the same as Paul that by in large, I seem to attract the nut-bars when it came to selling used stuff.

When we renovated our home we sold the appliances (about 5 years old at the time) so I threw them up on "Kijiji" (our Verizon of Craigslist). I had a couple agree to buy them for the advertised price. When they came to our home to pick them up, they started to "negotiate":chuckle". When I had had enough, I politely asked them to leave. Ended up donating them to Habitat for Humanity. A few days later, the same couple called me to see if I still had them as they'd thought about it and agreed to pay the advertised price.

That was the straw for me.

For some reason, any time I've sold a watch its worked out great.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I hear you, Brian. As for the watch sales, I guess it attracts individuals of a different mindset. If you aren't really unfortunate, of course.

I had an interesting experience trying to sell my Volvo back in the day...
The guy came over to see it, agreed on my asking price and then began asking weird questions like how come I was selling a pristine vehicle etc. Then he tried to offer 30% up front and three monthly installments
I politely declined and saw him out.
By late evening I received a call saying that he'd borrowed a few grand and if I could settle at 2k below my asking.
I said, if you could gather that much by 22:00, then I'm pretty sure you will be able to pony up the rest by the morning
Which he did. Still wanted to hand me over cash, I insisted we went to the bank teller and have it deposited. He didn't look to happy but I wasn't taking any chances.
When all was done, I had to answer a lot of questions by the wife. Not mine, his
Old 26 July 2022, 10:36 PM   #13
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Last month I sold an old Tumi bag.
Reading this was like finding out there was no Santa.
Old 26 July 2022, 10:47 PM   #14
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
That experience sounds absolutely awful.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 11:08 PM   #15
Star Ferry
Banned

It’s a huge PITA. I give things away or throw them away, unless I’m going to net at least $500 in the sale. Maybe for someone else that threshold is higher or lower, but they need to price their frustration.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 12:10 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have sold many things on EBAY over the years. Yes there are crazies.

I deal with them very simply. I have a very clear no return policy, everything is sold as is. I take clear images of everything.

If I get stupid questions I copy them to the listing for everyone to see.

I have been threatened and I report those people to EBAY immediately. I have had people demand returns and I state that when they ship it back to me I will refund their money and their postage. Almost no one ever returns anything.

In the end I have been able to repurpose money and remove items from my life. The slight aggravation has been worth it for me.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 12:27 AM   #17
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

It's not just you. Ebay is home of the idiots. In early 2000s, I used to buy/sell stuff all the time for the various things I collect. Mostly art, vintage 70s/80s stuff like Farrah Fawcett poster, mattel handheld football, lava lamps. About 15 years or so ago, it all went to crap. The idiots just descended on Ebay like a locusts and they changed the rules. I could write a book. I wouldn't use Ebay for anything ever again.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 01:05 AM   #18
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I can't be bothered anymore selling stuff online.

I just take my used Rolexes to Goodwill.
Old 27 July 2022, 01:10 AM   #19
JRedford
"TRF" Member

eBay is a joy to use compared to Craig’s list.

Don’t get me started on Facebook marketplace.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
JRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 01:15 AM   #20
-dustin

I've got unused team frames on the bay right now. it's been painful.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 01:36 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Selling used premium luggage on eBay to a bunch of bourgeoise PayPal Pita’s and eBay Feedback Francine’s is a nightmare.

So sell in the classifieds here.

Sell a Rolex accessory, say a link pin for $200 and say the Tumi bag is a free bonus. You’d sell in no time with no hassles and make a new friend, which you need.

(Jocke and I are done coaching you Paul!!!!!)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 02:31 AM   #22
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Reading this was like finding out there was no Santa.
When there were more Tumi bags in my closet then the local store I decided it was time to do something
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 03:13 AM   #23
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Just another review from an old buyer :) IMHO a long time ago Ebay used to be an auction site, but now it has turned into one of the worst bazaar on the internet. About a decade ago, there were only auctions, which led to the real pricing of items. This method has changed to the opposite, as today almost only overpriced products can be found on the site - with a "buy it now" price.

It follows that nowadays, if you start watching an item, in 99% of the cases you will soon receive an email saying that you can get a "better price" from the seller for a short time ... sometimes even 50% of the "buy and now" price. And this kind of "behavior" is not prohibited, but supported by Ebay. So in another aspect, Ebay is actively participates in the publication of fake prices, which also added a factor to the overpricing of the watches.

In sum, with such a mentality, why is it surprising when "buyers" want to change the conditions even after the purchase? This could be called doing business on Ebay these days.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 05:10 AM   #24
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Just another review from an old buyer :) IMHO a long time ago Ebay used to be an auction site, but now it has turned into one of the worst bazaar on the internet. About a decade ago, there were only auctions, which led to the real pricing of items. This method has changed to the opposite, as today almost only overpriced products can be found on the site - with a "buy it now" price.

It follows that nowadays, if you start watching an item, in 99% of the cases you will soon receive an email saying that you can get a "better price" from the seller for a short time ... sometimes even 50% of the "buy and now" price. And this kind of "behavior" is not prohibited, but supported by Ebay. So in another aspect, Ebay is actively participates in the publication of fake prices, which also added a factor to the overpricing of the watches.

In sum, with such a mentality, why is it surprising when "buyers" want to change the conditions even after the purchase? This could be called doing business on Ebay these days.

I won’t have you speak about our Beloved Forum like this!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 01:05 PM   #25
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I ditched eBay long ago, just not worth it for any amount of money.

Platform is just horrible in every sense.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 01:52 PM   #26
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I used to sell a lot on E-Bay and stopped just for the reasons you listed. I still sell anything that sits around my house and isn't used but, with rare exception, only sell local. I used Face Book and Craigslist and get rid of just about anything I want to sell.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 04:15 PM   #27
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
If I have no need for used items I ask family or friends, nobody wants it I throw it away. A few hundreds are not worth dealing with strange people with the risk of getting angry for nothing in the process.
Old 27 July 2022, 04:52 PM   #28
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
If I have no need for used items I ask family or friends, nobody wants it I throw it away. A few hundreds are not worth dealing with strange people with the risk of getting angry for nothing in the process.
Yep, my last sale years ago were some car parts ($200), I specifically said "no pay pal", as I have no idea how to access it/forgotten password etc, so what does he do pays me via pay pal, oh man what an ordeal. Crazy turned up.

In the end I said look I will refund you amount via bank and you can have the parts for free shipping on me too.

He agreed then filed a complaint with e-prey and still left me a negative review.

I told them all to go and "give themselves an aggressive cuddle".
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 06:25 PM   #29
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I won’t have you speak about our Beloved Forum like this!
Aye Aye sir, I will be more gentle for the next time
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 07:46 PM   #30
colpol
"TRF" Member

I’ve had my eBay account since 2004 & it’s definitely gotten worse over the years
Still do the occasional sell but mostly use for buying

Everything posted out has to be tracked/ signed for after a spate of - it never arrived / give me my money back (for low value items)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote