The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 July 2022, 02:29 PM   #31
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I’ve had a ton of issues with eBay. Mostly selling golf stuff. Never an issue with an item once it’s sold, always an issue with folks not paying. I’ve had it happen 10+ times. Now i see if they have any items in an auction and i bid an absurd amount for the win. I never pay, then we are even. eBay seems to give all protection to buyers and zero to sellers. eBay is the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 06:44 PM   #32
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

eBay certainly brings out the best of society. I have been decluttering my things for the last year or so, lots of tech items. People LOVE to bid and then ask their questions after the auction ends. I’m very descriptive in my listings yet this still happens. Lots of winners who just don’t pay, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 02:01 AM   #33
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’ve only purchased things, never sold. I’ve been burned a few times on purchases, both on quality of items (stuff arrived broken) and misrepresentations as to what you are actually getting.

I haven’t sold a thing on eBay. I donate a ton of my stuff to charity, but have sold a few items to local antique stores. I also had some expensive shoes that I sold on therealreal as an experiment, as one of my friends loves shopping there. I opted for store credit on the site. So, I’ve never sold anything to a random member of the public.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 11:47 AM   #34
2024 Pledge Member

It isn’t you- the number of idiots buying on eBay is immense.

Like you, I’m amazed at the number of people that don’t read the description but not too long ago I noticed from the eBay app, it didn’t show the actual description on the item page unless you clicked specifically for it- to me this explained some of the idiot buyers and that the eBay development team was also full of idiots as well.
433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 12:20 PM   #35
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Stopped selling on eBay years ago. Last transaction was a guy who messed up an item that was new, sent something else back and was refunded. I was out my item and the cash which was super cool.
Old 29 July 2022, 01:36 PM   #36
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Well there are the usual idiots that offer me half of my minimum bid, if I am willing to sell it to them right now. I just put them on the banned list. I figure if they do buy the item they will just make some false claim and try to bargain the price down.

But the biggest crazy was this guy:
Back before Paypal, I had a WWII wristwatch that I sold on the auction format.
It brought twice what I thought it would. Yeah.

I immediately get a an email from another bidder asking me who the winning bidder is. Apparently he knew that he had run up several other watches that this guy was interested in. I tell that I cannot reveal who the bidder is, that's against ebay policy.

I'm kind of curious now. So I look at is photo for his ebay avatar. And it appears to be a Nazi.
I look up his ebay name. And sure enough it is a Nazi general. I then look at his mailing address and it is in a city that McVeigh and Nichols visited before the bombing at OKC and supposedly got supplies.

Guy doesn't pay and I do not file a complaint because I don't want anything to do with him.

If you can beat having to deal with a Nazi, then please by all means share.

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 29 July 2022 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: ...
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 01:37 PM   #37
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Well there are the usual idiots that offer me half of my minimum bid, if I am willing to sell it to them right now. I just put them on the banned list. I figure if they do buy the item they will just make some false claim and try to bargain the price down.

But the biggest crazy was this guy:
Back before Paypal, I had a WWII wristwatch that I sold on the auction format.
It brought twice what I thought it would. Yeah.

I immediately get a an email from another bidder asking me who the winning bidder is. Apparently he knew that he had run up several other watches that this guy was interested in. I tell that I cannot reveal who the bidder is, that's against ebay policy.

I'm kind of curious now. So I look at is photo for his ebay avatar. And it appears to be a Nazi.
I look up his ebay name. And sure enough it is a Nazi general. I then look at his mailing address and it is in a city that McVeigh and Nichols visited before the bombing at OKC and supposedly got supplies.

Guy doesn't pay and I do not file a complaint because I don't want anything to do with him.

If you can beat having to deal with a Nazi, then please by all means share.
You win
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 02:45 PM   #38
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
You win
Why does that make me feel like George Costanza.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 06:16 AM   #39
330ci
"TRF" Member

Screenshot_20220923-170237_eBay.jpgGot a negative because "i took over a week to ship" when the guy paid 11:46 PM Saturday, and I shipped out Wednesday morning and didn't upload tracking immediately as I usually do it when I get home. (I have a 4 business day handling period as i don't always have time to make it to the PO during operating hours) When I got home Wednesday evening I had the negative already, so called the guy out for being a liar, and an a hole. Then after I put in the tracking information, I realized he had his phone number in case there were any problems. His feedback constituted an emergency to me, so I gave him a ring at around 11:30PM letting him know his tracking was uploaded and he had nothing to worry about. It arrived today and he messaged me thinking ebay was going to see and be sympathetic to him, instead I woke up, read, & damn near pissed myself laughing.

It was definitely the worst experience I have ever created for a customer, but I guarantee he will think twice about leaving a negative over petty BS again. ��

First pic is how he started the whole discussion. Which prompted my response, last pic is a pretty decent synopsis from his POV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220923_153522.jpg (46.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20220923_153500.jpg (64.5 KB, 76 views)
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 11:28 AM   #40
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I had to show this… Guy has one feedback, advertising a clock for $170. It’s a bit high but not outrageous. Now look at the shipping charges….

Uhm….
Attached Images
File Type: png C4C14483-69EA-40CD-BC96-1EA08B2A281A.png (277.4 KB, 62 views)
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 12:01 PM   #41
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had to show this… Guy has one feedback, advertising a clock for $170. It’s a bit high but not outrageous. Now look at the shipping charges….

Uhm….
Might have meant $40?

I got another negative today because I didn't refund someone $20 for shipping even though it cost me $12 in packing materials, plus ebay took 15% fees on the shipping so after all said and done I made $2 profit on shipping. After leaving a lengthy explanation on how there is more than just what is paid to USPS to ship, he responded hope $20 is worth a negative.

Best $20 I spent all day to be honest.

About done with Ebay myself, apparently being told to send someone $20 back or they're leaving a negative doesn't constitute extortion under their feedback removal. I spent around $600 this week alone in seller fees, have almost perfect stats and they side with the buyer every time. I paid them $14,000+ in seller fees last year, who knows this year. Have facilitated over half a million dollars in sales on behalf of others through the platform and I am about to sacrifice sales to support other marketplaces as the environment at eBay is just far to toxic as a seller. EBay doesn't care because they're never left footing the bill.
Old 24 September 2022, 12:05 PM   #42
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Might have meant $40?

I got another negative today because I didn't refund someone $20 for shipping even though it cost me $12 in packing materials, plus ebay took 15% fees on the shipping so after all said and done I made $2 profit on shipping. After leaving a lengthy explanation on how there is more than just what is paid to USPS to ship, he responded hope $20 is worth a negative.

Best $20 I spent all day to be honest.

About done with Ebay myself, apparently being told to send someone $20 back or they're leaving a negative doesn't constitute extortion under their feedback removal. I spent around $600 this week alone in seller fees, have almost perfect stats and they side with the buyer every time.

eBay is garbage bro. I stopped selling stuff there a while ago. I still buy but find other avenues to sell through. They don’t care about the seller at all.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 12:34 PM   #43
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
eBay is garbage bro. I stopped selling stuff there a while ago. I still buy but find other avenues to sell through. They don’t care about the seller at all.

This 3AM wake up callon a Saturday morning he's about to get is going to be priceless

The fact that eBay doesn't do crap is slightly rectified by handing out the customers number. They encourage sellers to work out issues with buyers first. They might rethink that after my abUSE of the system.
Old 24 September 2022, 12:39 PM   #44
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
This 3AM wake up callon a Saturday morning he's about to get is going to be priceless

The fact that eBay doesn't do crap is slightly rectified by handing out the customers number. They encourage sellers to work out issues with buyers first. They might rethink that after my abUSE of the system.

Lmao!! Do you homie. The system is ripe for abuse on one end and it has just created a toxic environment for sellers.

I try not to burn bridges completely to the ground but sometimes principles are more important than relationships and you just have to tear the opposition down at its weakest link.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 12:56 PM   #45
MDN
"TRF" Member

A few years ago I listed my Datejust steel/gold on ebay and a guy who won the auction tried to beg out, claiming he accidentally entered too many zeros on his bid. Ebay didn’t see it his way (because he actually increased his bid three times), and he had to pay, but then I agreed to a return of the watch anyway because the jubilee bracelet said 14k gold and the listing said the bezel was 18k gold. A technicality, but I’m glad now I still have the watch, because the value has nearly tripled since that time. (Hope it wasn’t someone on here)
MDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 01:07 PM   #46
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN View Post
A few years ago I listed my Datejust steel/gold on ebay and a guy who won the auction tried to beg out, claiming he accidentally entered too many zeros on his bid. Ebay didn’t see it his way (because he actually increased his bid three times), and he had to pay, but then I agreed to a return of the watch anyway because the jubilee bracelet said 14k gold and the listing said the bezel was 18k gold. A technicality, but I’m glad now I still have the watch, because the value has nearly tripled since that time. (Hope it wasn’t someone on here)
18kt models definitely bring a slight premium, 14kt models are made for the American market. I probably would've opted out of the purchase myself on that one. But I doubt that would've slipped past me prior to bidding.

Getting out of trying to pay is irritating though on auctions, I usually get more money the second time around for some reason though.
Old 24 September 2022, 01:18 PM   #47
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Lmao!! Do you homie. The system is ripe for abuse on one end and it has just created a toxic environment for sellers.

I try not to burn bridges completely to the ground but sometimes principles are more important than relationships and you just have to tear the opposition down at its weakest link.

I wouldn't sell either of them another thing anyway. I probably need to grow up quite a bit as it is extremely petty and childish, but I also feel like most of these people are throwing temper tantrums so I feel somewhat vindicated
Old 24 September 2022, 02:30 PM   #48
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Uhm….
If does say 'Expedited'.
Old 24 September 2022, 11:39 PM   #49
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
I wouldn't sell either of them another thing anyway. I probably need to grow up quite a bit as it is extremely petty and childish, but I also feel like most of these people are throwing temper tantrums so I feel somewhat vindicated
Be careful who you offend on the internet. You could land on a no fly list.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:52 PM   #50
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I have a method that has worked really well. For odd ball stuff or lower priced items I post on Craigslist. It takes much longer but always sells eventually. Patience is needed but worth it. For eBay I only use it for higher priced items that are usually in very good pre-owned condition and complete. And have never had a problem in the 20-years I’ve had my account.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 10:43 PM   #51
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I've largely stopped selling on eBay d/t morons and fees, but still find it useful for some things. For example, our oven stopped working last month. It's 20+ years old, out of production, parts are NLA but I was able to find used parts on the 'bay and fixed it myself. Since I was guessing at the cause, I bought a rebuilt control board that wasn't the problem, and the ebay seller was great about taking it back (the auction clearly stated the return policy).

But you guys are right; most people are morons who don't read and who think you are Amazon.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote