The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 September 2022, 08:04 AM   #61
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I don't like face ID at all. That's why I'm still waiting for the promised new, under-display fingerprint reader version to arrive.
Never used Face ID or fingerprint, always used a pin#. Why not just use the 4 or 6 digit pin# instead if using Face ID?
Old 11 September 2022, 08:05 AM   #62
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

12 Mini here and love it, so no need for me to get another 'til mine no longer works as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11 September 2022, 10:39 AM   #63
Romeojk
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Well, Verizon let me upgrade with an $800 trade in allowance on both my wife’s and my 11Pro and a reduction of $50 in my total monthly bill with the existing 5g basic plan I currently have. At that point it is a no-brainer to upgrade.

Verizon customers may want to look into this. Especially if you have an 11 or 12.

I am upgrading from an iPhone 13 Pro 128gig and only got an estimated $450 from Verizon. It said ‘up to’ $800, but I guess not for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 01:58 PM   #64
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
I am upgrading from an iPhone 13 Pro 128gig and only got an estimated $450 from Verizon. It said ‘up to’ $800, but I guess not for me

Dang, Were you at the end of your contract or previous installment period? Maybe thats what made the difference for me.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 01:59 PM   #65
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
Never used Face ID or fingerprint, always used a pin#. Why not just use the 4 or 6 digit pin# instead if using Face ID?
Both face id and fingerprint security are magnitudes more secure. At least according to Apple.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 07:02 PM   #66
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
Never used face ID or fingerprint, always used PIN. Why not use a 4 or 6 digit PIN when using Face ID instead?
Against Face ID, yes. But not against Touch ID. In my experience, it's an easy-to-use, fully automatic security feature: if you touch the phone, it unlocks itself, and it even allows Applepay to work quickly and easily.

Of course, I know that it works pretty much the same way with Face ID, but I don't like this type of biometric surveillance systems at all. Therefore, if I had a chance, I would physically disable the front camera of my phone.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 10:06 PM   #67
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
I'm actually considering going to apples?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 12:40 AM   #68
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I’m moving from a 12 mini to a 14 Pro. I use the camera a lot and that’s the main reason for the switch, as well as better battery life. I do wish I could keep the smaller form factor of the 12 mini though.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 04:17 AM   #69
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Both face id and fingerprint security are magnitudes more secure. At least according to Apple.
Well, it depends.
One problem with face ID and fingerprints is that they are both easier to force someone into presenting to the phone than forcing someone to remember a long PIN or passphrase, both tecnically and legally.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 05:50 AM   #70
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Guess you're not celebrating The Twelve Days Of Disconnect? December 22nd thru January 2nd. Cellphone OFF. Internet OFF. TV / Streaming OFF. Disappear for meditation of books, crafts, or if it is your want, cooking, food, wine.

A replacement ... Apple's smallest refurb ... YeeOwww! ... Wow, too big! Swappa.com is my friend for these wants & needs.

Same as you, I’m also still using my original SE. Battery is fairly useless, but just about gets me through a day with a top up charge if being used a lot.

Was going to buy a new one this year, but needs to be worth it for the added hassle of the (in my view) ridiculously huge phones they sell now.

If I can’t reach the whole screen with my thumb then it’s too big in my opinion.

If I want a tablet, I’d get a mini iPad

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 06:13 AM   #71
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Nope, about 5 months ago got a 13 and suits me just fine.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 07:47 AM   #72
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Same as you, I’m also still using my original SE. Battery is fairly useless, but just about gets me through a day with a top up charge if being used a lot.

Was going to buy a new one this year, but needs to be worth it for the added hassle of the (in my view) ridiculously huge phones they sell now.

If I can’t reach the whole screen with my thumb then it’s too big in my opinion.

If I want a tablet, I’d get a mini iPad
I started using old SEs for my vehicles to play iTunes playlists. Since it’s always plugged in the battery life is not real important.

The new SEs are the same size as the minis I think and since they’re discontinuing the minis I may have to revert back to the new SE.

99% of my phone use is for calls/texts and the camera, so a big screen is not something I care about.

As usual I don’t think Apple considers me as their customer of the future.
Old 12 September 2022, 08:59 AM   #73
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The new SEs are the same size as the minis I think and since they’re discontinuing the minis I may have to revert back to the new SE.
13 mini 5.4" screen...SE (2nd Gen) 4.7" screen.
And yes, 13 mini is the last mini.
Old 12 September 2022, 09:02 AM   #74
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
I’ve got a 13 pro max, other than the satellite SOS, I don’t see any thing earth shattering.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 09:05 AM   #75
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Update. So, after reading this thread I thought about it and upgraded my I-11 to the I-14Pro. Should be sent to me in two weeks. I then turn in my phone for a credit. Actually, it was a good deal. No phones were in stock yet to demo. Hopefully, the new phone is not much larger than the small size I-11 Pro I currently have.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 09:26 AM   #76
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Update. So, after reading this thread I thought about it and upgraded my I-11 to the I-14Pro. Should be sent to me in two weeks. I then turn in my phone for a credit. Actually, it was a good deal. No phones were in stock yet to demo. Hopefully, the new phone is not much larger than the small size I-11 Pro I currently have.
Official release date is this Friday, so there won’t be any on display until then.

FYI, size comparison 11 vs 14pro:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare...11,iphone14pro

The 14pro is smaller (height, width and depth) and heavier.
Old 12 September 2022, 06:25 PM   #77
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc6 View Post
nope, about 5 months ago got a 13 and suits me just fine.
x2
Old 13 September 2022, 03:18 AM   #78
acebelt
"TRF" Member

I'll be getting an iPhone 14 since I've been on an iPhone 8 since February 2018. Even after I replaced the battery, it's embarrassing trying to do anything on it compared to my girlfriend's iPhone 11, let alone anything newer than that.

For anyone looking at getting a 14 Pro to use the 48MP camera to take ProRes video in 4K, make sure you get a 256GB iPhone otherwise you'll be limited to 1080p!

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/10...-14-pro-256gb/
acebelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 03:55 AM   #79
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I upgrade my iPhone and my Pixel every year. It is just something I always do. Started out being for work reasons but now I just do it for fun. I will gift my slightly used, year old phones to family members who can't afford to upgrade..

I also bought the Apple Watch Ultra this year too. Have never liked the Apple watch but I will try out this one.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 04:04 AM   #80
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I don't plan on ever buying an Apple phone again. Their prices are ridiculous nowadays for what isn't all that impressive.

I'm a tech guy myself, just haven't been impressed with any phones out there that think they can charge the price of a RTX 3090, for a phone that has very little technological advancement. $500 is the maximum imo they should be charging for phones nowadays, until one comes out with a significant advancement in the hardware on the phones with better CPUs.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 04:09 AM   #81
Ballzzz

Miss my 1st gen SE, I currently have a 13 mini its not good, too big - the camera cant take close photos and its overpriced... ehh what can I do my SE lasted until last year, I couldn't make calls anymore so my hand was forced. Hate these big bricks they call phones now.
Old 13 September 2022, 04:18 AM   #82
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I'm a tech guy myself, just haven't been impressed with any phones out there [...]
I can agree with this. The last phone which impressed me was the B&O Serene:

INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 04:19 AM   #83
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I mean from an ability for a random person to open your phone that is a correct statement. But from a Biometric ID risk standpoint and cybersecurity risk, Face ID and fingerprint content is extremely high risk. Also, unless I'm missing something Apple allows access to Biometric data to regimes focused on tyranny and against human rights. I think Apple's position is one of partial truth regarding security. But hey they are marketers.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 04:42 AM   #84
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I don't plan on ever buying an Apple phone again. Their prices are ridiculous nowadays for what isn't all that impressive.

I'm a tech guy myself, just haven't been impressed with any phones out there that think they can charge the price of a RTX 3090, for a phone that has very little technological advancement. $500 is the maximum imo they should be charging for phones nowadays, until one comes out with a significant advancement in the hardware on the phones with better CPUs.
Well everyones needs are different and it is nice that we have so many choices and people can do what suits them best.

My order with the carrier subsidy and the trade in is $396 for a new iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 04:58 AM   #85
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure if others experience this but I’ve found as the MP size keeps increasing on these phones cameras it’s getting harder and harder to text pictures to people without Wi-Fi.

Sitting in a bar and sending pics takes forever if it even bothers. And sending to multiple people has made some videos arrive out of focus.

It’s getting so bad that I’ve had to order multiple rounds of drinks to send a few vacation snaps.

In fact this picture I’m sending from Hawaii is
Old 13 September 2022, 05:05 AM   #86
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Not sure if others experience this but I’ve found as the MP size keeps increasing on these phones cameras it’s getting harder and harder to text pictures to people without Wi-Fi.

Sitting in a bar and sending pics takes forever if it even bothers. And sending to multiple people has made some videos arrive out of focus.

It’s getting so bad that I’ve had to order multiple rounds of drinks to send a few vacation snaps.

In fact this picture I’m sending from Hawaii is
Looks like there is a silver lining after all.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 05:12 AM   #87
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binArt View Post
Looks like there is a silver lining after all.
I know, but if we’re getting up to 48 MP per picture my bar bill will soon exceed my allowance.

I’ll have to ask my wife for a cost of living increase.
Old 13 September 2022, 06:19 AM   #88
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I know, but if we’re getting up to 48 MP per picture my bar bill will soon exceed my allowance.

I’ll have to ask my wife for a cost of living increase.
Old 13 September 2022, 06:57 AM   #89
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
I started using old SEs for my vehicles to play iTunes playlists. Since it’s always plugged in the battery life is not real important.

99% of my phone use is for calls/texts and the camera, so a big screen is not something I care about.

As usual I don’t think Apple considers me as their customer of the future.

The new SE is a little bigger. Disappointing they scrapped the Mini.

Old 13 September 2022, 07:04 AM   #90
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
The new SE is a little bigger. Disappointing they scrapped the Mini.
Thanks. I can’t keep up with it all. I had the original SE. Loved the size.

Then they discontinued it and came out with the minis, which were bigger if I remember. Same as the 8 I think.

Then the new SE came out bigger than the mini. And they discontinued the mini after the 13. ( I still have the 12 mini).

I guess part of the continued increases in size is due to the goodies inside and they can’t pack it all in the original SE size anymore.