The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 September 2022, 07:15 AM   #91
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Well everyones needs are different and it is nice that we have so many choices and people can do what suits them best.

My order with the carrier subsidy and the trade in is $396 for a new iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB.
I think that is a good deal that you received. Plenty of storage for most at 256 GB. If I needed a new phone I would consider at that pricing. I prefer to not trade in though and keep old phones as a backup/spare. I don't use my phone too often, so last round I went with an upgrade to my iPad mini. I find it more useful around the house than the iPhone which is where I would typically text or browse anyway (in the house). I like the pricing scheme of the iPad a lot better though.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 04:14 AM   #92
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Anyone rushing to get the Iphone 14?

I ordered direct from Apple because I can’t stand Verizon trying to get me to finance my iphone. Do you guys partake in this nonsense? Am I missing something and this is more logical? The guy at Verizon said if I pay off my phone early I lose all promotions.

For this reason we haven’t changed Verizon plans in many years. We are grandfathered in to an unlimited plan.
Old 14 September 2022, 04:19 AM   #93
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Thanks. I can’t keep up with it all. I had the original SE. Loved the size.

Then they discontinued it and came out with the minis, which were bigger if I remember. Same as the 8 I think.

Then the new SE came out bigger than the mini. And they discontinued the mini after the 13. ( I still have the 12 mini).

I guess part of the continued increases in size is due to the goodies inside and they can’t pack it all in the original SE size anymore.
Same here. I had couple SE's until the 12 mini came out. I won't go back to a larger phone until I'm forced to.
Old 14 September 2022, 04:28 AM   #94
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I ordered direct from Apple because I can’t stand Verizon trying to get me to finance my iphone. Do you guys partake in this nonsense? Am I missing something and this is more logical? The guy at Verizon said if I pay off my phone early I lose all promotions.

For this reason we haven’t changed Verizon plans in many years. We are grandfathered in to an unlimited plan.
Verizon used to be top of the game but has seriously slipped! Their unlimited packages aren't so special when you shop around and compare to others. I was in the same boat until we switched carriers a few months ago. I update my phone once a year to a new model. For at least the last 5 years, I've ordered directly from Samsung and purchased the "unlocked" version of whatever phone I was shopping for so I didn't have to deal with the bloatware that came with company branded phones.

I just recently learned that there's actually more to the phone than company specific bloatware. I was told by my local TMobile rep that if I was to go with one of their phones versus an unlocked phone the antennas and software are different, specific for their Network so I would get better reception. I did a little Google searching and this seemed to be factual (for at least TMobile). Fast forward a month, I ordered a T-Mobile branded phone this year versus unlocked and my service is exceptionally better than it was previously with the same model phone from last year. I say all that not to keep you from ordering straight from Apple, but to consider unlocked versus not.

As far as early payoffs, I think all the carriers are the same. My wife isn't paying anything monthly for her iPhone 14 but is receiving a monthly charge and credit. If she cancels the service before the 24 month period she owes the remaining balance. It's just their way to lock you in without a "contract", lol.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 05:01 AM   #95
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Verizon used to be top of the game but has seriously slipped! Their unlimited packages aren't so special when you shop around and compare to others. I was in the same boat until we switched carriers a few months ago. I update my phone once a year to a new model. For at least the last 5 years, I've ordered directly from Samsung and purchased the "unlocked" version of whatever phone I was shopping for so I didn't have to deal with the bloatware that came with company branded phones.

I just recently learned that there's actually more to the phone than company specific bloatware. I was told by my local TMobile rep that if I was to go with one of their phones versus an unlocked phone the antennas and software are different, specific for their Network so I would get better reception. I did a little Google searching and this seemed to be factual (for at least TMobile). Fast forward a month, I ordered a T-Mobile branded phone this year versus unlocked and my service is exceptionally better than it was previously with the same model phone from last year. I say all that not to keep you from ordering straight from Apple, but to consider unlocked versus not.

As far as early payoffs, I think all the carriers are the same. My wife isn't paying anything monthly for her iPhone 14 but is receiving a monthly charge and credit. If she cancels the service before the 24 month period she owes the remaining balance. It's just their way to lock you in without a "contract", lol.

So much fu**ery. I don’t mind paying for the phone and upgrading to a plan if it offers more features I’m not particular price sensitive. But when they can hardly explain how the promotion works or why I need to finance my cell phone I just throw my hands in the air and buy the phone direct.
Old 14 September 2022, 10:12 AM   #96
Cryten
"TRF" Member

All US spec iphone 14 won't have a sim slot, instead they get an "eSim."

Yet more control of "your" device removed from the consumer and thrust firmly into the hands of the carrier.

Changing sim cards to get around ridiculous carrier roaming charges was one if the biggest advantages of GSM, as was the ability to purchase phones from anywhere. Now they'll be no better than CDMA.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 11:51 PM   #97
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Verizon is a 0% finance plan just to lock you into a new three year contract. I do not have a problem with this as Verizon has the best coverage here at my home in Denver and at my mountain home.

You are correct in that the plain language of the contract requires a full three year payout. However, Verizon consistently has offered me upgrade deals before the end of the three year period if I simply paid off the remaining credits. As I usually upgrade every third phone cycle, this is not an issue for me.

If you want to trade in your phone every 1-2 years or plan on switching carriers frequently, buying direct from Apple (with Applecare) is definitely the way to go.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 11:56 PM   #98
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So much fu**ery. I don’t mind paying for the phone and upgrading to a plan if it offers more features I’m not particular price sensitive. But when they can hardly explain how the promotion works or why I need to finance my cell phone I just throw my hands in the air and buy the phone direct.
You might want to stop by a Verizon store as their website is hopeless in explaining your change in costs with new phones or plans. My monthly payment AFTER upgrading two phones went DOWN $50. Yet the site could not explain how this happened. I got a Verizon rep to verify this on my account over the phone before signing the new contract. The only thing I can assume is that my base 5g unlimited family plan had a price reduction yet the site could not show me this basic detail.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 12:39 AM   #99
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I also buy the phones directly and swap the SIM, but that’s mainly because I don’t want to remind my dad he pays for my cell service. Hoping he never notices.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 01:21 AM   #100
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I also buy the phones directly and swap the SIM, but that’s mainly because I don’t want to remind my dad he pays for my cell service. Hoping he never notices.
The 14 is eSIM only. I think you're going to get grounded.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 01:41 AM   #101
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post

Yet more control of "your" device removed from the consumer and thrust firmly into the hands of the carrier.

Changing sim cards to get around ridiculous carrier roaming charges was one if the biggest advantages of GSM, as was the ability to purchase phones from anywhere. Now they'll be no better than CDMA.
You can still buy eSims when you travel abroad. Although, it may not be supported everywhere just yet.

The phone can support up to two at a time. That’ll allow you to get your native phone number and also a local number in the country you’re visiting.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 02:29 PM   #102
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
waiting for the iPhone 28.

reminds me of the old MADTV skits, about the Gillette Mach 20.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 02:38 AM   #103
binArt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
You can still buy eSims when you travel abroad. Although, it may not be supported everywhere just yet.

The phone can support up to two at a time. That’ll allow you to get your native phone number and also a local number in the country you’re visiting.
I prefer the plastic SIMs overseas. I don't care to give a foreign government direct electronic access to my device. It feels like an opportunity to bypass the security features without my approval or awareness.

With the plastic SIM I can carry a handful and swap accounts at will.
Old 16 September 2022, 07:20 AM   #104
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binArt View Post
I prefer the plastic SIMs overseas. I don't care to give a foreign government direct electronic access to my device. It feels like an opportunity to bypass the security features without my approval or awareness.

I agree. Yet another step too far from Apple. It seems you never actually buy an iPhone, at this point you're pretty much renting it. Apple have more control than the consumer does.

I'm not their target market anyway. The last iPhone I bought was a 3GS and that used to tell me that "charging wasn't supported, connect to an Apple charger" when plugged into the charger that came in the box. Unbelievable.

So: proprietary cables (changed on a whim), fickle charging, Apple able to remotely mess with your processor speed, no USB, no Micro SD, no 3.5mm jack, and now no Sim?

I'm in, where do I sign?
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 07:22 AM   #105
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Yeah, I’m just waiting for my 11 pro max to start falling on its face. When it does is when I will upgrade to the newest device.

I presume software updates will start killing my phone soon.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 08:01 AM   #106
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Were you aware that the network operators have the same electronic access to your device via a physical SIM as they have with an eSIM?

If they had nefarious intent, the nature of the SIM wouldn’t change their ability to penetrate the device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 08:18 AM   #107
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:

Jason Bourne, you do know by roaming on foreign networks that their governments can access your data regardless of plastic or eSim, right?

Perhaps you should stick to Dixie cups to communicate.
Old 16 September 2022, 03:01 PM   #108
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Jason Bourne, you do know by roaming on foreign networks that their governments can access your data regardless of plastic or eSim, right?
I think OP meant that without a physical SIM there is no way to change your TSP/ISP either at home or abroad. This means that with an ESIM you will ALWAYS be a slave to ONE communication company, as well that you will lose the opportunity to choose a service provider with local call rates. For example if you are traveling to Europe, you can simply purchase a pre-loaded SIM card. In this case, your government will not know anything about you and vice versa.

This means that you will not be able to hide from Big Brother, and your bills be higher. The use of ESIM in this way is a bug and not a feature.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 09:51 PM   #109
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I think OP meant that without a physical SIM there is no way to change your TSP/ISP either at home or abroad. This means that with an ESIM you will ALWAYS be a slave to ONE communication company, as well that you will lose the opportunity to choose a service provider with local call rates. For example if you are traveling to Europe, you can simply purchase a pre-loaded SIM card. In this case, your government will not know anything about you and vice versa.

This means that you will not be able to hide from Big Brother, and your bills be higher. The use of ESIM in this way is a bug and not a feature.
That’s not how it works. Have you ever used a phone with eSim?

You can delete a carrier and add a new one just like a person’s contact. My iPhone 13 Pro is currently set up on eSim and I have added and deleted carriers both domestically in the states and abroad with no problem. The phone isn’t locked to one carrier, you are free to change at anytime (unless you are on AT&T installments).

eSim is essentially the plastic SIM card, but now embedded into the phone’s circuit board. You connect to a carrier by scanning a QR code, which tells the phone which network to connect to. If you want to switch you can go into the settings menu and delete the carrier to make room for another.
Old 16 September 2022, 10:06 PM   #110
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Have you ever used a phone with eSim?
Well, yes, but here I only saw the limits, I didn't even know about this information. I will check the options with my service provider, thanks for the info!
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 05:02 AM   #111
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post

eSims have been around since the iPhone 12 and perhaps 11.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 05:07 AM   #112
binArt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Were you aware that the network operators have the same electronic access to your device via a physical SIM as they have with an eSIM?

If they had nefarious intent, the nature of the SIM wouldn’t change their ability to penetrate the device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In context of foreign travel where governments routinely monitor foreigners.

The eSIM is associated to the device. Whereas, the prepaid SIM card could be in any number of different devices in a day. While the network operators have general access to the device when connected to their service, the physical card gives the device anonymity on their system. Remove the card and the access goes with it, but the same cannot be relied upon with embedded data.
Old 17 September 2022, 05:15 AM   #113
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
In context of foreign travel where governments routinely monitor foreigners.

The eSIM is associated to the device. Whereas, the prepaid SIM card could be in any number of different devices in a day. While the network operators have general access to the device when connected to their service, the physical card gives the device anonymity on their system. Remove the card and the access goes with it, but the same cannot be relied upon with embedded data.
I suggest you read up more on a eSim.

In order to activate, you scan a carrier’s QR then the phone connects to their network to download a sim profile which the eSim then operates like a regular physical sim. It’s the same access regardless of physical or not. You can delete a carrier from the eSim at will and reprogram it for another immediately. Once deleted, the carrier cannot communicate with the device.

https://www.usmobile.com/blog/esim/
Old 17 September 2022, 05:21 AM   #114
binArt
Banned

Quote:
I suggest you read up more on a eSim.

In order to activate, you scan a carrier’s QR then the phone connects to their network to download a sim profile which the eSim then operates like a regular physical sim. It’s the same access regardless of physical or not. You can delete a carrier from the eSim at will and reprogram it for another immediately. Once deleted, the carrier cannot communicate with the device.

https://www.usmobile.com/blog/esim/

Governments overseas can be very intrusive. I prefer an air gap over the hope that the eSIM isn't compromised.
Old 17 September 2022, 06:44 AM   #115
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Governments overseas can be very intrusive. I prefer an air gap over the hope that the eSIM isn't compromised.
You may want to look closer to home.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 06:49 AM   #116
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
You may want to look closer to home.
Yeah.

Border patrol in the US has the legal right to take your phone and download all the contents into a file they can keep on you.

Even an American citizen returning home can have that happen. Border patrol is the only govt agency that can legally do that without a warrant.
Old 17 September 2022, 06:50 AM   #117
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Mine arrived but I am returning as I ended up caving and doing the Verizon carrier discount nonsense. So now have to wait a week for those phones to come in. But the phone itself looks different. The camera is quite large relative to my 12 pro. Hopefully it’s significantly better in wide angle and low light as promised.
Old 17 September 2022, 06:52 AM   #118
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Mine arrived but I am returning as I ended up caving and doing the Verizon carrier discount nonsense. So now have to wait a week for those phones to come in. But the phone itself looks different. The camera is quite large relative to my 12 pro. Hopefully it’s significantly better in wide angle and low light as promised.
just got mine as well and upgrading from the 12 pro. cameras are enormous lol

everything feels noticeably smoother with the higher refresh rate but also even my 12 pro felt smoother after upgrading to ios 16
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 09:11 AM   #119
Reign
"TRF" Member

Going from 12 pro max to 14 pro max. Every year seems excessive but think every 2 years is okay where you can see a noticeable pick up in speed / performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 12:12 PM   #120
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Just switched from a 12 mini to 14 pro. This thing is hefty and yes the camera bumps are chunky. Overall a very nice package and I like the integration of the new iOS and the dynamic island so far, though I haven't started customizing anything yet. Just ported over everything directly from my old phone. My wife and I are traveling next week and I look forward to putting the phone cameras up against my Leica.

Side note. For those of you who are slim wallet fans, check out the Peak Design mobile wallet. It magnetically sticks to the back of the phone and can be used as a small stand, holding the phone in portrait or landscape orientation, with an adjustable angle using friction in the hinge. It's designed to carry together with the phone, but I mostly carry it in the other pocket so it's not one thick package. Nice thing is it holds up to 7 cards, but snugs down over just 2 cards if that's all you want to carry.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote