The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Roovain
"TRF" Member

5146P as a Daily Wearer?

Just wondering how the 5146P would hold up, as a "daily wearer"? How does the platinum surface hold up? Is there really a difference in wear-and-tear of the mechanics wearing it daily vs. letting it sit (and run down), and adjusting it each time I want to wear it? or putting it on a winder? Feedback sought. Thank you.
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 05:33 AM   #2
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
5146 as a daily wearer will do just fine for normal use.....

If strap is worn out or old just change them, that the only thing you need to do.....

Watch winder is a waste of money for me.... I just sets the watch each time I want to wear it..... Plus it have a power reserve meter, that if the power reserve is low you could always manual wind it......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 10:55 AM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think it will be fine as a daily wearer...and you won’t need a winder since it will be almost always on your wrist. Sounds like a perfect watch to pass down as well after many years of wear
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 05:26 PM   #4
daveyw
"TRF" Member

I use a 5146g as a daily wearer and it's great. Perfect siE, discreet
daveyw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 03:11 PM   #5
HoosAir
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711, 5167, 5146P
I think it is a great daily wearer. It doesn't get scratched up, is light, thin, and very comfortable. I drastically cut back on my 5711, which I now probably wear 1-2 evenings a week. I love it but it is a scratch magnet. My rolex sub is my weekend day beater.

Also, I used to use winders but have stopped. Having watches run down gives me an excuse to wind and set them, which I enjoy. I try to manually wind the 5146p since it takes some time to set when it stops but I do like doing it occasionally. You will find many views on which is better for the watch but I don't think it matters much based on discussions I have had with techs at Patek ADs.

Last edited by HoosAir; 21 February 2018 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: added answer
HoosAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Roovain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosAir View Post
I think it is a great daily wearer. It doesn't get scratched up, is light, thin, and very comfortable. I drastically cut back on my 5711, which I now probably wear 1-2 evenings a week. I love it but it is a scratch magnet. My rolex sub is my weekend day beater.

Also, I used to use winders but have stopped. Having watches run down gives me an excuse to wind and set them, which I enjoy. I try to manually wind the 5146p since it takes some time to set when it stops but I do like doing it occasionally. You will find many views on which is better for the watch but I don't think it matters much based on discussions I have had with techs at Patek ADs.
Wow....the parallel is very coincidental. I own a Submariner that I use the same way as you; as well as a Nautilus (5726a), and the 5146P. From that perspective, I do appreciate your feedback.
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 11:09 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
Just wondering how the 5146P would hold up, as a "daily wearer"?
Depends on your daily activities during your life's travels. Are you a desk jockey or an avid surfboarder? Maybe you work construction, or on cars? Or is your job more casual management for an office? Your activity level and type is the variable in answering your question.

Quote:
How does the platinum surface hold up?
Platinum is a hard metal, yet can become scratched moreso than harder materials.

Quote:
Is there really a difference in wear-and-tear of the mechanics wearing it daily vs. letting it sit (and run down), and adjusting it each time I want to wear it?
Less use would mean less wear and tear. This naturally applies to many things including exotic cars, etc. Lubricants and metal materials have a certain use lifespan. If you keep it in a temp/humidity/air controlled safe (or better still a vacuum), theoretically it could last nearly forever. Especially within the vacuum of space where even a Tesla car can still look great after traveling over 139,000,000 miles :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote