The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 January 2018, 04:56 AM   #1
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
Icon9 Brand new Milgauss running fast

I just got a new 116400GV Milgauss with Z-blue dial from my local AD and love it.
I’ve noticed that since day one is running 3.5 to 4.5 seconds fast per day. I own several recent model Rolex watches (green tag) that are within +- 1/2 a second a day( mostly -1/2).
Is running that fast normal on a brand new Rolex watch ( 10 days old ) ?
If it not can I take back to the AD that I bought it and request that it will be regulated or will they look at me like I am unreasonable. I can live with that but I don’t want to if the watch is acting out of speck (as per Rolex claims).
Is Rolex’s -2 to +2 per day just a claim or they do stand by this as a guarantee to their new watches?

I’m new to the forum and I will appreciate your guidance.
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchEnthusiast View Post
I just got a new 116400GV Milgauss with Z-blue dial from my local AD and love it.

I’ve noticed that since day one is running 3.5 to 4.5 seconds fast per day. I own several recent model Rolex watches (green tag) that are within +- 1/2 a second a day( mostly -1/2).

Is running that fast normal on a brand new Rolex watch ( 10 days old ) ?

If it not can I take back to the AD that I bought it and request that it will be regulated or will they look at me like I am unreasonable. I can live with that but I don’t want to if the watch is acting out of speck (as per Rolex claims).

Is Rolex’s -2 to +2 per day just a claim or they do stand by this as a guarantee to their new watches?

I’m new to the forum and I will appreciate your guidance.

If the watch new gave a little break in 2-4months if still not accurate take to an AD or RSC for regulation it takes 5minutes and a little tip usually.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 06:28 AM   #3
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Thanks George
Watch is indeed brand new. It’s been on my wrist 10 days only. My issue is that non of my other new Rolex watches did that. They were spot on right out of the box. Also 3.5-4.5 seconds a day is double of what Rolex claims in their testing of every watch after the movement is incased and assembled fully.
Old 19 January 2018, 10:04 AM   #4
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
I think that Rolex's standard/guarantee applies to an average daily rate measured over 5 positions. If your day to day usage and overnight storage don't match that pattern of use you may not hit that target despite the watch running within spec..

A timing machine will give a fairly quick analysis of whether it meets Rolex standards or not. Without one, it can still be done, but you have to have the persistence and time to measure it "the long way round" by leaving it undisturbed in each of 5 positions long enough to get a useful and reliable answer.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Magnetism today is very common. I see it daily in my shop.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 10:32 AM   #6
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Magnetism today is very common. I see it daily in my shop.
Understandable but this is a brand new Milgauss that has not been anywhere remotely close to the magnetic field that is resistant to. Most likely not magnetism in this case.
Old 19 January 2018, 10:45 AM   #7
ohjnxg
"TRF" Member

just go and get it done. i bought my tudor and it was running slow, went to rsc the next day. no question asked. AD, am not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohjnxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 10:46 AM   #8
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
I think that Rolex's standard/guarantee applies to an average daily rate measured over 5 positions. If your day to day usage and overnight storage don't match that pattern of use you may not hit that target despite the watch running within spec..

A timing machine will give a fairly quick analysis of whether it meets Rolex standards or not. Without one, it can still be done, but you have to have the persistence and time to measure it "the long way round" by leaving it undisturbed in each of 5 positions long enough to get a useful and reliable answer.
Theoretically you are correct 100% . Practically though this watch is used identically to my other new Rolex watches and is the only one that is off by that much.
I appreciate your thoughts on this. Point well taken.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Understandable but this is a brand new Milgauss that has not been anywhere remotely close to the magnetic field that is resistant to. Most likely not magnetism in this case.
True. It's just so common now, I never rule it out. Hopefully it's something easy with your watch.

Also, over what time period are you noticing the deviation? Are you able to calculate seconds per week instead of on a per day basis? Sometimes these little deviations are just at a certain point of observation, and after a longer amount of time they end up averaging out to a smaller gain or loss.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:34 PM   #10
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True. It's just so common now, I never rule it out. Hopefully it's something easy with your watch.

Also, over what time period are you noticing the deviation? Are you able to calculate seconds per week instead of on a per day basis? Sometimes these little deviations are just at a certain point of observation, and after a longer amount of time they end up averaging out to a smaller gain or loss.
I haven’t done a week straight before I correct the watch. Originally I was doing 24 hour days and I was readjusting it. On average I was about 4 seconds. I am now on my fourth consecutive day without interfering and it is about 18 seconds fast in these 4 days. The average is now 4.5 seconds fast per day.
Old 19 January 2018, 08:11 PM   #11
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Theoretically you are correct 100% . Practically though this watch is used identically to my other new Rolex watches and is the only one that is off by that much.
I appreciate your thoughts on this. Point well taken.
The Rolex "+2/-2" standard allows a positional and state of wind delta of (I think) 12 seconds maximum. No 2 watches are identical, so although you may wear them in similar conditions, how they perform"on the wrist" depends on how extreme their positional variances are within that limit and in exactly which positions they occur.

When I regulate my own watches (not Rolex or co-axials - I wouldn't attempt free sprung balances even with the right kit ) I aim for the best average I can get of dial up, 6 up and 9 up as they are the normal wearing positions for left hand/outside wrist. I then note the fastest and slowest positions overall so I know how to let them self-regulate overnight if I want to.

I think you have 2 options really -

1) do your own "self test" - leaving the watch undisturbed in each of the 5 measured positions for long enough in each position to get an accurate variance, then average them out and also check the delta. I think Rolex do a full wind and after 24 hours check, but use the full wind as the timing standard.

2) Quicker and easier, take it to a watchmaker or back to the Rolex outlet and ask them to check it on a timing machine, and regulate it if it's out of spec..
Old 19 January 2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I would not have a new Rolex opened for a half second/day.

Why not leave the timing correction until first service.

In the meantime can you find someone with a timegrapher and the best resting position to lose time and use that?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 10:41 PM   #13
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Thanks George
Watch is indeed brand new. It’s been on my wrist 10 days only. My issue is that non of my other new Rolex watches did that. They were spot on right out of the box. Also 3.5-4.5 seconds a day is double of what Rolex claims in their testing of every watch after the movement is incased and assembled fully.
My new 126600 did the same. It's now settled at around +2s per week. I'd give it a while. I also let it fully run down a couple of times. Not sure if that made any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
The Rolex "+2/-2" standard allows a positional and state of wind delta of (I think) 12 seconds maximum. No 2 watches are identical, so although you may wear them in similar conditions, how they perform"on the wrist" depends on how extreme their positional variances are within that limit and in exactly which positions they occur.
Rolex simply states +2/-2 after casing. There is no mention of states of wind deltas or positions (notwithstanding that may be how the test them). Im not sure where people are picking this up from?

Rolex service centres will regulate movements that are outwith the stated +2/-2 spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I would not have a new Rolex opened for a half second/day.

Why not leave the timing correction until first service.

In the meantime can you find someone with a timegrapher and the best resting position to lose time and use that?
I agree with Eddie . Give it time and see.

If you can't find a timographer, make sure its fully wound (as they run faster when low on power reserve if I recall correctly) and leave it in the following positions overnight.

Face up
Face down
Crown up
Crown down

And see what effect that has on accuracy.

Importantly, use a time source like time.is, and not your smartphone clock to measure how its performing. After 4 nights you'll know which position will lose a bit of time overnight

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:13 PM   #14
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

If he has a gain of up to 4.5 sec per day, he might not have a loss per day in ANY position. Maybe only as good as +1 in a certain position. Not every watch has a gain AND a loss in multiple positions.
Old 20 January 2018, 12:15 AM   #15
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

Rolex service centres will regulate movements that are outwith the stated +2/-2 spec.
Yes they will.

So how do they verify that a movement is outside or inside those parameters, and what standards do they apply to that process to ensure a movement meets them ?
Old 20 January 2018, 02:22 AM   #16
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

If John does take it back to the AD (and I don't think he should feel like he's being at all unreasonable - it wasn't cheap, he's a disappointed customer, and he'd like it running to his satisfaction) it will be interesting how they approach it.
From past conversations with my watchmaker, even if it does strictly speaking comply with Rolex specifications, it's also not generally what you'd expect from a new one.
If they check it and say "well, it meets Rolex criteria", will they nevertheless be prepared to re-regulate it under warranty more in line with his on the wrist experience ?
Anyone with real-life experience of doing this ?
Personally, I'd go along with earlier advice and be prepared to live with it at least for now - I'd hate a watch that runs slow if that could possibly be the outcome of re-regulation "within spec.".
Old 20 January 2018, 02:34 AM   #17
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
If he has a gain of up to 4.5 sec per day, he might not have a loss per day in ANY position. Maybe only as good as +1 in a certain position. Not every watch has a gain AND a loss in multiple positions.

Very good point.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 03:52 AM   #18
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Guys thank you so much for all your thoughts. I will test the watch gains on all positition in 12 hours perde and fully wind it before every test so I’ll know that low charge is not gong to be part of the issue. This is more of a learning exercise for me including finally taking it to the AD at a later time just to see how they will handle this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsxzabxhgk...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Old 20 January 2018, 03:56 AM   #19
gav329
"TRF" Member

Hope all goes well a beautiful watch the z blue milgauss. Yes as others say, go in and question it, it’s a lot of money to just accept if there may be a problem. Apparently the way the watch is laid down say on bedside overnight can affect it too. Ie on its side crown down or crown up or dial up? I’m not sure of the technicalities however.

gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 02:25 PM   #20
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I agree that there is most likely no position that will give this watch a minus seconds per day but finding the slowest position will give maximum correction.

And give you something to do in your spare time John.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote