The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28 August 2014, 02:38 AM   #1
lamscott
"TRF" Member

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

I didn't see a thread of this kind. I assume most of us dabble in the stock market and thought this would be a nice conversation thread.I thought it would be kind of neat to start a thread that would get all the investors together and share stock ideas.

I'm vested heavily in BAC right now.
Old 28 August 2014, 02:43 AM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
I understand your sentiment.
However if one is wishing to discuss stocks on a watch forum, or anywhere for that matter, then I'd recommend you keep your money.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 28 August 2014, 02:43 AM   #3
lamscott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
I understand your sentiment.
However if one is wishing to discuss stocks on a watch forum, or anywhere for that matter, then I'd recommend you keep your money.
Thats no fun. This is why I put it in the Open Discussion Forum.
Old 28 August 2014, 02:47 AM   #4
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
If you want to discuss stock . . . . go ahead

But make sure you only give us the good tips so we can buy extra Rolex watches . . .

How long lose money I already know . . . . my bank helped me . . .
Old 28 August 2014, 02:47 AM   #5
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamscott View Post
Thats no fun. This is why I put it in the Open Discussion Forum.
I don't mean to appear rude but I trade for a living. CFd's, options, stocks, currencies, indices etc
The reason some make money is when the general public jump in on: tips, news and media. If you heard it here or in a newspaper or TV the 99 times out of 100... It's too late.
But don't let me stop you

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 28 August 2014, 03:04 AM   #6
lamscott
"TRF" Member

Make more money to buy rolexes!
Old 28 August 2014, 03:07 AM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I recommend Seeking Alpha website, which is specific to serious investors. There are a million ways to invest and no one way is right for everyone.
Old 28 August 2014, 03:16 AM   #8
lamscott
"TRF" Member

You guys are pretty serious about this. I thought it would be just fun. We don't have to keep this moving.
Old 28 August 2014, 03:38 AM   #9
scottIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Read Flash Boys & you'll understand why WS traders are making millions in bonuses while your portfolio goes down.
Old 28 August 2014, 06:58 AM   #10
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
You amateurs crack me up....I'm a professional trader and get paid to do it, I like BAC too but accumulated most of it between 6 and 12 and currently have 800,000 shares in my book

I write options against stocks like Apple, Facebook and GE nearly everyday and I love high dividend REITs like SNH, GOV, ARCP & UDF and some other high dividend plays like FGP, NMM, ERF.

Today 13 up, 3 down, 1 unchanged on a day the S&P 500 was flat, laughing all the way to the bank or Rolex AD..

20140827_134855_resized.jpg
Old 28 August 2014, 07:37 AM   #11
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I think this is a tough subject. While I think it is reasonable to assume that people here have generally done well with their investments, I'm not sure it translates into sound investment advice. An analogy is just because I'm pretty slim and fit at 5'10" and 160lbs doesn't mean I should be giving out diet advice to people. My decisions and habits may have very little to do with it.

My wife and I are self-managed and think we have a reasonable strategy with a mix of stocks in our 401k's, a mixture of index funds in our brokerage account and 529s, as well as cash. Gains have been nice and fairly stable over the years and we rebalance each year or so by purchasing what we feel we are deficient in, not by selling and then buying.

But that being said, a lot of our portfolio gains I think have come down to luck. I thought I was throwing away money by buying Apple stock in 2002 but I grew up loving the Apple II and even the Newton (anyone remember that?). How the Hell was I supposed to know that they had an iPhone up their sleeve? Why didn't I invest more?

But in the end, I am an ophthalmologist who can't follow the market more than once or twice a day. To me PE means pulmonary embolism, not price to earnings. So I love investments with long-term steady growth, preferably with a dividend, because I'm about 20-25 years away from needing any of that money (hopefully). So I've never been one to try too hard to buy the hot company or fund, but rather the stock/fund that I can see with potential for growth over the long haul. So I'm a big fan of Vanguard Index Admiral Share mutual funds.
Old 28 August 2014, 08:47 AM   #12
azguy
Banned

The OP wanted a friendly discussion about the markets and maybe a "tip" or two, can't we have fun doing this without the nay-sayers raining on his parade.... IDK, he wasn't looking for full fledge financial planning or serious investment advice in fact he said he "dabbled"..

Here's one to dabble in GoPro ticker: GPRO, trading at $45, I think you could get $55 to $60 out of it.
Old 28 August 2014, 08:48 AM   #13
shnxx
"TRF" Member

AAPL up today! lol
Old 28 August 2014, 09:12 AM   #14
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
The OP wanted a friendly discussion about the markets and maybe a "tip" or two, can't we have fun doing this without the nay-sayers raining on his parade.... IDK, he wasn't looking for full fledge financial planning or serious investment advice in fact he said he "dabbled"..

Here's one to dabble in GoPro ticker: GPRO, trading at $45, I think you could get $55 to $60 out of it.
Right, but in all honesty, despite my love for all of you on TRF, if I have a hot tip, I'm keeping it to myself
Old 28 August 2014, 09:42 AM   #15
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN View Post
Read Flash Boys & you'll understand why WS traders are making millions in bonuses while your portfolio goes down.
Ok, you need to explain the logistics of your statement. I have read Flash boys, Dark Pools and more stuff about HFT and market structure than you would imagine. Although HFT steals money on a daily basis, unless you are long a triple short equities ETF, most american's portfolio's are up. The stock market is at record highs and all pensions, 401K's and institutions hold 50% in equities. I suggest digging deeper into what your portfolio contains. Any long term equity mutual fund should be positive.
Old 28 August 2014, 11:55 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I'm out of the equities market for now. Sitting in cash possibly headed for real estate. Slow money but sure money in my market. (Property is cheap and was never over priced to being with). The game is rigged as far as I'm concerned. I have a small pile of degrees in finance to boot
Old 28 August 2014, 12:11 PM   #17
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Check out FireEye(Nasdaq: FEYE). One of the best cyber security software companies out there in a very relevant industry in today's modern hacker world.
Old 28 August 2014, 12:25 PM   #18
CCCSTYLE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
GMCR MO AAPL these 3 stocks did me very well
Old 28 August 2014, 12:28 PM   #19
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
If it is a dabble tip type question I say this. Buy stock in the companies whose products you use on a regular basis. Chances are if you use it, others do as well. And stock will perform well over time. Bond market is a bit spooky right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2014, 01:27 PM   #20
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You own Apple then
Old 28 August 2014, 04:41 PM   #21
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 216570 Blk
Just to throw these out there - maybe generate some discussion:

1) What's your approach? What types of info do you look at when opening/closing a position? I tend to rely on technicals (charts) and insider trades posted on public forums. I also keep a eye on IPOs.

2) Are there some technicals you look to more than others? (Bollinger, MACD, Parabolic SAR, etc.)

3) If you're a non-pro, like me, what brokerage firm do you use? I use Ameritrade.

4) For you pros/experienced traders, any books/sources you'd recommend? I've got Barron's and the WSJ.

I've been trading options (mostly selling puts) for several years but now trade stocks mostly. Personally, I'm not interested in what to buy/sell, but I would like to learn more about how others approach a trade, what others look at/for, etc.
Old 28 August 2014, 07:38 PM   #22
opticalserenity
"TRF" Member

Excellent thread idea. My recommendation to anyone new to the world of stock trading would be to read, read, and then read some more. I'm always blown away when I come across someone dumping $75k into a single stock, without understanding the difference between a market, limit, or stop limit order.

Second tip: Learn about options. Using call and put options are an incredibly good way to hedge your positions. Also, they're mighty fun.

Seeking Alpha is a good website, also, I recommend the Motley Fool. They have excellent podcast / radio shows and a great YouTube channel.

Adamlea, learn the "greeks." When you look at a stock, learn how to quickly read the EPS, Alpha, Beta, and 52-week range. Those will give you some idea of health. They're much like a human's vital signs. Just because someone has a perfectly reasonable heart rate, blood pressure, and SpO2, doesn't mean that they're healthy. :)
Old 28 August 2014, 10:41 PM   #23
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Shameless plug for my friend's online media company. www.rantsports.com Independent sporting news website that writes opinionated articles and encourages reader discussion. They are expecting to go public in 2015.
Old 28 August 2014, 10:54 PM   #24
Scot_3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1966 boyscout
I love drug and entertainment companies, two things people want health and escape from their oh hum life
Old 28 August 2014, 11:17 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
In my experience it's tough to make money in the market if you're dabbling.
You can have some fun, and you'll win some and you'll lose some. Just keep your expectations "real" and don't get in over your head.
Old 29 August 2014, 12:12 AM   #26
lamscott
"TRF" Member

It is very hard to make money slat the stock market game. But putting some money here or there after research is fun for me and helps the bottom line sometimes.

I'm really on Gild. I've been on it since it was in the 70s. Their hep c drug is awesome and they are making money hand over fist. They will be buying back some stock later not his quarter.

Also, these are tips on a rolex forum. If you put a lot of money into a stock on these tips without doing research, than you are just dumb.

Thanks for understanding the fun in things guys.
Old 29 August 2014, 12:46 AM   #27
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I haven't got the sack to do anything but buy stuff I know and hold it long term. That and low fee mutual funds.
Old 29 August 2014, 02:44 AM   #28
azguy
Banned

I gave you guys GoPro yesterday, it's up $3.35 today that's 7.25% to $48.82...

People think this will be the "must have" holiday gift..
Old 29 August 2014, 03:42 AM   #29
lamscott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I gave you guys GoPro yesterday, it's up $3.35 today that's 7.25% to $48.82...

People think this will be the "must have" holiday gift..
Nice pick!
Old 29 August 2014, 04:55 AM   #30
RockinIt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DDII
I enjoy this thread. I'm 44% up on twtr! I don't know how much room this stock has to run. I recently sold aapl, kmp both did very well for me.
Closed Thread