The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 02:50 AM   #31
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

I wanted a PM Daytona from the start, and I messed around with a bunch of other stuff before getting over the mental hurdle of the price and pulling the trigger recently. If I could do it all again I’d just have gotten the Daytona from the start and saved a lot of time and money. Go for it!
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:54 AM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Without reading your post I would say not nuts but wise. Good choice.
Old 25 May 2020, 02:56 AM   #33
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Precious metals are good

Just try to find a good bargain and haggle with the AD to give better discounts

And then drop your name too for a sports steel (explorer 1, no date sub etc) should be easy
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:04 AM   #34
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnn View Post

I know the usual advice is to buy the watch you love, and not consider future value, but with this kind of spend, I simply have to consider value retention. !
I think this is essentially why the "hot Rolex watches" are a few of the stainless steel models (ss Daytona, ss SD, ss GMT). Consumers want to buy these from an AD at near MSRP because they believe these few SS watches will financially appreciate the most.
For price reasons the gold Daytona is not as "hot" as SS version. But of you would enjoy wearing a gold Daytona then buy one. When /if you sell it the watch will likely not have financially depreciated too much.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:05 AM   #35
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

If you are new to buying a Rolex, but want an all out gold model, do the ADs generally bend a bit on the price and offer a discount on the all gold Daytona’s for example? What have other’s experienced? 5% or am I not even close?
honuswagner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:06 AM   #36
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

Just wait you werent even looking for that watch. If in a few months you really want it buy it. I sure any nice watch they show you you'll get a boner over.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:22 AM   #37
brnn
"TRF" Member

Wow, thank you all for the great replies and advice. A welcome change from some other forums where people beat you over the head for considering spending this kind of money.

Appreciate the heads up on pricing. I did check out Chrono24 and it seems to be in the ballpark, although a few are asking for 32k-ish without papers. This particular example looks new with all the papers and receipt from late 2019 (nothing on the PCLs). Of course, Chrono24 listed price doesn't necessarily equal actual sales price.

After sleeping on it though I fear I might hesitate to wear it daily due to the softness of the gold and my obsessiveness with condition on such a nice piece (I'm the kind of guy who parks his new car way out in the back of the lot). I already hesitate to wear my dad's Speedmaster since it's an heirloom and somewhat fragile with the plastic crystal, thin sheet metal bracelet, etc. I really do want a daily wearer, and this would be my only Rolex due to the outlay. I applaud those who wear their PM scratches, dings, and swirls with pride!

So I am thinking I will wait for my 114060, which I won't have to baby, and in the meantime just hold out and see where this market goes. Maybe Rolex will include the ceramic bezel with the PM Daytonas soon, and that would help alleviate my daily wear-ability concerns. I will also keep my eyes on the steel Daytona market, and keep my hopes up that they dip just a bit more.
brnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:44 AM   #38
raretime
Banned

Parliament.
raretime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:52 AM   #39
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Wow, thank you all for the great replies and advice. A welcome change from some other forums where people beat you over the head for considering spending this kind of money.

Appreciate the heads up on pricing. I did check out Chrono24 and it seems to be in the ballpark, although a few are asking for 32k-ish without papers. This particular example looks new with all the papers and receipt from late 2019 (nothing on the PCLs). Of course, Chrono24 listed price doesn't necessarily equal actual sales price.

After sleeping on it though I fear I might hesitate to wear it daily due to the softness of the gold and my obsessiveness with condition on such a nice piece (I'm the kind of guy who parks his new car way out in the back of the lot). I already hesitate to wear my dad's Speedmaster since it's an heirloom and somewhat fragile with the plastic crystal, thin sheet metal bracelet, etc. I really do want a daily wearer, and this would be my only Rolex due to the outlay. I applaud those who wear their PM scratches, dings, and swirls with pride!

So I am thinking I will wait for my 114060, which I won't have to baby, and in the meantime just hold out and see where this market goes. Maybe Rolex will include the ceramic bezel with the PM Daytonas soon, and that would help alleviate my daily wear-ability concerns. I will also keep my eyes on the steel Daytona market, and keep my hopes up that they dip just a bit more.

Good decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:41 AM   #40
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

You are, but aren’t we all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:00 AM   #41
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I have a YG daytona, Paul Newman dial from 2000 and another one on order, the JM YG green dial one. Moral of the story, excellent choice you have made OP...
Old 25 May 2020, 07:02 AM   #42
doramas
Banned

The two Omegas you possess are two jewels.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:28 AM   #43
Stripiest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
I would try and get a PM Daytona from an AD, and try for a discount. You will have a fresh watch, and warranty with your name on the card. You will have buying history that may score a nice SS sports Rolex down the road. You are definitely not nuts. A full gold Daytona is a bad ass watch.
This
Stripiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:53 AM   #44
campfire
"TRF" Member

Have fun either way. Nice situation to be in.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:09 AM   #45
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
No you are not crazy if that is what you like then GO for it
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:09 AM   #46
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:

Really good thinking on your part at this time. The reason I feel this way is that you want to get a watch and wear it all the time, and no one would blame you for that. After you have dropped, banged up, dinged up a lesser steel watch enough then I feel then you can wear the PM piece and instinctively know when to look out for that door, or not bang into a file cabinet or drop the watch. Unless money is no object, You need to develop some muscle memory to protect that watch and not just run around everywhere with all that gold. Having said that, I am wearing the day date, lighting a cigar and starting the BBQ.
Old 25 May 2020, 12:07 PM   #47
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:

Good plan. I had enjoyed several SS Rolex before I went into PM. No need to rush. Enjoy the Sub! You can find it here, from Trusted Sellers and not have to worry about risk.

About gold:
Yes, the gold scuffs, but it’s not soft like butter. I have several in the collection now. Gold can hold up quite well and I bet you would take care of it, like your car. No point in getting PM if you are concerned about wearing it daily. You should commit to wearing PM daily (especially WG). If you can’t plan to enjoy it daily, it may not quite be time. It’s just a watch and it can be polished. As much as PM costs, you should be able to enjoy it as much as possible, without hesitation. Good luck on the journey!

Old 25 May 2020, 12:11 PM   #48
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'd skip gold and go straight for platinum.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:09 PM   #49
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I think that’s a great idea.

Such a beautiful (and costly) watch could permanently satisfy your watch itch.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 04:28 PM   #50
Cru Jones

Quote:

On so many levels, you made the right decision.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:53 PM   #51
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honuswagner13 View Post
If you are new to buying a Rolex, but want an all out gold model, do the ADs generally bend a bit on the price and offer a discount on the all gold Daytona’s for example? What have other’s experienced? 5% or am I not even close?
It depends on the watch.

I doubt you're going to get a discount on the 116508 green or 116509 blue.

I was able to get a major discount on the 116505 three years ago. So 5-10% might be doable now?
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:08 PM   #52
neophyte88
"TRF" Member

Watch: bluesy, 114060, br
Daytona’s

all day long, no regrets!
then buy those Oysterflex later.
neophyte88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:14 PM   #53
Andad

Watch: A few.
Nuts if you don’t.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 06:02 AM   #54
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post
It depends on the watch.

I doubt you're going to get a discount on the 116508 green or 116509 blue.

I was able to get a major discount on the 116505 three years ago. So 5-10% might be doable now?
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!!
honuswagner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:22 AM   #55
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
I suggest you buy what you love, not what has been offered to you.
Good advice, but I know how these "offers" can grow on you. This is one badass watch and one you can own for a long time. Go for it!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:07 AM   #56
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I would rather spend money getting more variety from more brands or more Rolex models.

PM is for jewelry only but if you really like gold go daydate.

But steel will be more durable than gold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:18 AM   #57
Golfpaul66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Buy what you want and not what's available or even what's popular. My choice of a TT SD43 recently wasn't out of popularity (TT watches are not so popular these days, especially those with large cases.) I love the watch and it just spoke to me. If the PM Daytona speaks to you, then you must buy it.
Golfpaul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:41 AM   #58
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

What if it were more nuts not to do it?

I think any ceramic bezel one, so in this case maybe even considering an OF version could easily be a daily and robust enough not to have to worry too much about.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 02:40 AM   #59
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I think the blue face WG bezel Daytona is the most beautiful version they offer, and if I had the coin, I'd buy it. But I think the OP is making the right decision to go with the Submariner.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 05:22 AM   #60
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
We are all nuts, so you are asking the wrong crowd!!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote