The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 May 2020, 11:53 PM   #91
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

I've never been asked anything about the Rolex I'm wearing. OTOH, I've quietly observed the glimmering watches worn by others, especially the fake ones...and yes, I mean both the watch and the person.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:10 AM   #92
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.
You have some fascinating insecurities.
I live in two worlds. 90% of the time, nobody notices watches at all. Except some Indian men in tech, no idea why, maybe it's the sudden access to money and luxury that they couldn't even see as children. Those particular ones tend to drive pimped-out (with colored lights etc) luxury cars too.

Other than that, mostly just associates at (non-watch/non-consumer) trade shows. And then, I have other watches that get more comments. In order...
  1. Seiko Cocktail-Time Blue: It's different, classy, cool and catches the light.
  2. Swatch Sistem 51 - green sunburst with orange hands. A great summer watch. A burst of color, but also often "on display" because it's a great short-sleeves watch.
  3. Casio F158A - yeah, cheap digital. $15. You'd be amazed how many women want to try it on.
I don't think most people have much idea how much a Rolex costs. A long time ago (four decades ago), Mercedes was a high-quality expensive luxury brand with exceptional reliability. Now a Kia is better made and an entry Mercedes is less expensive than a top Hyundia. If they notice it at all, they probably think it's like a gold chain necklace on a man wearing an open shirt and driving a T-top Camaro.
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:15 AM   #93
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
i'd say major props for the work put in. but also, there was a reason you bought the rollie over the breitling, and that is brand recognition.
patek would sort of negate that though. but again, touche, i would have done the exact same

Thanks! And yeah I’m sure you’re right the brand recognition definitely helps. Was also thinking and hoping it last a lifetime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:15 AM   #94
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have never seen someone flaunting their watch out in public. Would seem pretty silly to me.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:34 AM   #95
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I enjoy the compliments but I don't go out of my way to have my watch noticed... Though I think I might have done the hand to hair thing a few times

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:39 AM   #96
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclinerTimer View Post
Truth! It's slightly different around these parts although there are still tremendous number of try hards trying to pass off their fake interest in watches as a mask for them to flaunt wealth. In general though aside from this forum most everyone who buys a Rolex does it for status rather than for genuine love for horology. Like another post said, most people don't even know their Rolex isn't battery operated. For those of us that know truly deep down we are wearing a Rolex for a genuine reasons, congrats

There is no “genuine” reason to wear a Rolex.

LazySumday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:41 AM   #97
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I was devil may care a few years ago but watch crime and awareness has grown largely here so I would rather not be noticed now at all, I'm far more on guard than in the pre-hype days.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:04 AM   #98
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I worked on Wall Street for several decades. You couldn't swing a dead cat around a trading desk without hitting half a dozen Rolex watches. Folks bought them as status symbols that said, "I can afford this." It became a social necessity to prove you fit in, were a part of the club. Wall Street trading desks are a case study in tribal mentality.

I rebelled against this whole scene. I ended up on the NYSE trading floor which turned out to be Rolex Central. I went with Omega Seamasters instead of the obligatory gold Rolex. Too many of the Rolex wearers treated their watches with such disdain that it turned me off to the brand. Some were loose enough to get two fingers between the watch and wrist. Some never bothered to set the time! Their Gold DD's were simply bobbles and bangles whose purpose was to compliment the gold chain bracelet on their other wrists. So to me a Rolex came to represent this ostentatious and mindless display of excess.

Took me a while to get over this early conception of the Rolex brand.

I have seen this and understand your view point. I get turned off from a innocent product that is adopted and associated with a group of people I don’t care to be associated with.

This Rolex baggage from the 1980’s has morphed into a different kind of baggage with the carpet bagger commodity traders. The players might change but the field equipment stays the same.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:23 AM   #99
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ric Flair rolex watch.jpg (31.2 KB, 426 views)
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:25 AM   #100
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
To me, albeit a passed phase in the Rolex marketing, I am stuck in believing Rolex is the ultimate tool watch. My uncle wore one while serving and it wore the scars of proof it was a tool. Mine is on my wrist 24/7 - rain or shine, in a building or on a mountain, it’s on my wrist as a trusty tooled companion.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:33 AM   #101
Yobber76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Outside of jewelry stores, I have had very few people who comment on my watches.
I wore a Tag Carrera Heritage Chrono for a few years. When I bought my Sub C, my boss said he liked my Tag better, it was a better looking watch.
There is a young TSA agent at the Ft. Myers airport who always talks to me about watches, Rolex and Omega when he sees my watches. He wears an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. I don't try to draw attention to them on the street.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:34 AM   #102
Xenon
Banned

I imagine you might care what a gold Sub owner thinks of your SS Sub should you by chance run into one at the local Starbucks or Shopping Mall or AD.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:38 AM   #103
JamyMC
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710
I like the fact that I wear Rolex, firstly I was concerned about what people would say if their attention gets to my wrist, but I was made to understand that many times we don’t get noticed but if you get a compliment for making a good choice then it’s worth it.
JamyMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:58 AM   #104
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
The watch which gets comments is my Seiko PADI Turtle. Almost every time I wear it, someone comments that they like the look and toughness.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 06:01 AM   #105
Dave1863
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
In over 30 years, I’ve only had one person notice one of my watches and comment on it. He was a prisoner brought to the ER from a jail, and he knew watches and jewelry very well. Actually had a nice conversation while I sewed him up.

Dave1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 06:39 AM   #106
Dave1863
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Having come from a relatively poor background, Rolex and BMW were really aspirational for me when I was a kid, so it gives me enormous satisfaction that I’ve put myself in a position to own a Rolex (I’ve had BMW, no longer a big fan).

I think people who are raised in a more affluent environment tend to care less about material processions as it’s just the norm for them, whereas folk like me tend to be more materialistic. It’s not necessarily a trait I’m proud of, but it is a bit of a reality.

However, I take personal satisfaction rather than wanting people to notice. In fact, I don’t like the Rolex brand association as the brand represents the Yuppie era and for Harry Enfield fans, Rolex reminds me of one of his old characters, and it’s not a good one!

If someone notices my watch (very rare) and asks what it is, if I’m wearing a Rolex I will use the reference rather than the brand (I.e. Daytona or Sea Dweller). Whereas if I’m wearing my 5990 or 15300 for instance, I will say Patek Nautilus or AP Royal Oak quote happily.

I felt the same when I had a 911. If someone asked what I drove I’d say a 911 rather than use the word Porsche.

Weird perhaps, but there you go.

Agree with all of this apart from the BMW bit
Dave1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 07:11 AM   #107
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Nobody notices watches these days and if your a Rolex owner and think otherwise you most likely have a serious insecurity problem.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 07:28 AM   #108
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.

I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing, I haven't gone that far but I admit I like them to know I wear Rolex.

What do you think about that? Are you going to deny that deep down you're like that too?
It seems to me that deep down, it is you who does it.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 07:30 AM   #109
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I have seen this and understand your view point. I get turned off from a innocent product that is adopted and associated with a group of people I don’t care to be associated with.

This Rolex baggage from the 1980’s has morphed into a different kind of baggage with the carpet bagger commodity traders. The players might change but the field equipment stays the same.
Funny thing is that Mr Wall St himself, Gordon Gekko, wore a gold Cartier, not a visionary.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:39 AM   #110
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Funny thing is that Mr Wall St himself, Gordon Gekko, wore a gold Cartier, not a visionary.
A Gold Cartier Santos or Tank is a killer dress watch with a suit plus you don't look like every other Wall Street schmo..
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:55 AM   #111
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That may have had more to do with highest product placement bidder and less to do with Gordon being a visionary or not.
Old 26 May 2020, 10:48 AM   #112
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrissteve11 View Post

just need the popcorn
I’m joining in. This should be good.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:09 PM   #113
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

To answer the OP's question - I really don't like to brag.

For me the point of owning a Rolex isn't to show off to the world but to own a solidly-made, reliable and above all, good-looking watch. Which is why I also own a handful of Seikos and Orients.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:01 PM   #114
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

You'll know who is a WIS if they know the reference number they are wearing. Other than that, those who show off their watch, cars, etc. really have deep-seated insecurities.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:50 PM   #115
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
You'll know who is a WIS if they know the reference number they are wearing. Other than that, those who show off their watch, cars, etc. really have deep-seated insecurities.
Some may dispute that generalization, but I can vouch for the fact that my cruel, mean-spirited, and bullying brother had to have a Dodge SRT8 Hemi, then traded it for the HellCat because he needs to be Mr Big Man because he was the last picked for kick ball over half a century ago in HS. He drives it 6 miles a week to the food store. He never was a nice person and at age 73 is worse than ever.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:55 PM   #116
ArthurLaurent
"TRF" Member

I don't know any watch people, apparently. No one has ever commented (or maybe even noticed) when I wear my GMT-MIIc (maybe it's that subtle black bezel.) Maybe it's because I have it on a beat-up black leather strap.
ArthurLaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:00 PM   #117
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
I imagine you might care what a gold Sub owner thinks of your SS Sub should you by chance run into one at the local Starbucks or Shopping Mall or AD.

He’s jealous cause the stainless sub is way harder to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:03 PM   #118
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
+2 for Cartier
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:03 PM   #119
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
He’s jealous cause the stainless sub is way harder to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
L
O
L
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:20 PM   #120
tomf1994
"TRF" Member

Never had anyone comment on my expII. Probably looks like a regular sport watch to most. I'm quite ok being at least a little under the radar. My Doxa 1200t Pro gets a fair amount of attention. A bright orange dial will do that I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tomf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
external validation , survey