The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2020, 01:28 PM   #1
brnn
"TRF" Member

Am I nuts for considering a gold Daytona as my first Rolex?

Hi all, first post to these forums.

I've been a watch fan for many years. Have been shopping on and off for my first Rolex for a while, but only became serious about pulling the trigger in the past few months. I currently own only two watches: an Omega Seamaster 2254.50 (sword hands), and my father's 1970 Speedmaster which was passed down to me.

I was going to start with a 114060 or an Explorer. I really am not inclined to pay over retail (or even retail) for a pre-owned piece, so I've been stopping into ADs whenever I get a chance to check in and remind them I'm still interested. Supposedly they have my name down for an order, whenever one arrives. I love the steel Daytona, and like most of you probably, would love to pick one up at retail, but don't feel comfortable paying 50-100% over retail for it.

Getting a little impatient, I've been exploring other options, and stretching the budget a little; looking at two tone Rolexes and offerings from other brands as well.

I was in an independent shop today looking at Omegas (I like the two tone Seamaster with rose gold), and the guy said he just got in a preowned Daytona and pulled it out for me. It's the solid white gold model with blue dial. Just gorgeous, and feels amazing. Of course it doesn't come cheap at about $35k.

Before I saw this watch, I had only casually considered ever spending such a sum on a watch. I can see my collection reaching that value, but I would have thought it would have been comprised of 3 or 4 watches, not one. If I do buy this watch, that'll be it for quite a while!

What do you folks with Rolex experience think? I would want to actually wear this watch daily, as functional jewelry. If I don't buy it, I would probably end up consuming the same sum on watches, it would just take a while and be spread out over multiple pieces.

I know the usual advice is to buy the watch you love, and not consider future value, but with this kind of spend, I simply have to consider value retention. If I had some confidence I could sell the watch in 5 or 10 years and get my money back, I'd feel a lot more comfortable, even if I just broke even. I do realize no one can see the future, and everyone has an opinion on whether Rolex is in a bubble or not. For you seasoned customers: do preowned solid PM pieces, in general terms over the years, stay stable after their initial depreciation hit? Do you think PM pieces are as inflated as steel models (if indeed you think steel models are overly inflated)?

Besides the economics, I'm also curious about practicality. Do gold bracelets get scratched up to an unbearable level compared to steel? Does servicing become more expensive? Is there risk of stripping out the crown or pusher threads, or are there steel threaded inserts? Does a gold bracelet stretch more? Any special concerns with chemicals or salt water that are different than a steel watch?

Many thanks!
brnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:49 PM   #2
ReclinerTimer
"TRF" Member

I'll try to be concise
Value retention: No way to know 100%. It'll always maintain a decent amount of value given its Rolex and a Daytona. It'll never be up to par with the SS Daytona, but definitely wouldn't be on the level of loss incurred with most other brands. Will you get all your money back in 10 years? Probably not, it's possible, but at least you won't get crushed given you keep the box, papers, and don't over polish it or do something to affect the value.
Practicality: Gold bracelets definitely get scratched up pretty big time with daily wear. But whatever, it's not like they chip away and break down, they just get scratched up a bit, I don't mind the look of it. Servicing will generally be slightly more expensive, not enough to make a difference in whether or not to purchase the watch. Take it to someone reputable and there should be no fear or stripping parts. I'd say bracelet stretch is slightly more, but always fixable.
Final thought: I'd say go for it. It seems to be calling you. It's Rolex, it's gold, and it's a Daytona. Kind of the epitome of watches to some. I'd get it and enjoy it and give it lots of love and wear. Honestly just make it your only watch and roll through life with a gold Daytona on your wrist 24/7, pretty bad ass
ReclinerTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:56 PM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Approved
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:36 PM   #4
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

I suspect the independent dealer has had that gold Daytona in the back for quite some time.

I suggest you buy what you love, not what has been offered to you.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:39 PM   #5
brnn
"TRF" Member

Ha, thanks both for the approvals.

Also curious to hear from anyone who has this model, or another with the gold bezel, if it becomes damaged super easily. I wonder if they will move to a ceramic bezel soon, considering that the stainless, gold on strap, and platinum have all moved to ceramic.
brnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:56 PM   #6
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Rolex sports watches are generally made to take a licking and keep on ticking. That includes the PM pieces.

Just last year I made the jump and haven’t looked back or regretted the purchase. I wear my watches and don’t treat my PM any differently than my SS or G-Shock. That means my gold pieces see the same action as my other watches.

Be sure to consider the Daytona’s on OysterFlex since they have ceramic bezels and rubber straps to provide a little cushion for the day to day. But even if you stick with the blue dial, full WG, I’m sure any daily usage will just translate into character and memories.

I suspect that local dealer has a bit of wiggle room on price. Be sure to push for an additional discount or strongly consider buying from an AD where you can get your name on the card and a fresh warranty. The current asking price isn’t too off from RRP.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you do.
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:12 PM   #7
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Do some shopping around before you spend that much on a watch to make sure it's the watch you want and that you're paying a fair price. Try WatchRecon and Chrono24.

Good luck!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:25 PM   #8
peterpl
Banned

If you can afford it and its not going to affect you a single bit then 100% definitely go for a full PM.

When I started I was not as financially comfortable as I am now. I started with SS and TT and even the TT was expensive for me back then. I remember thinking to mysel geez $14k for a watch is insane. LOL

Its not until I reached around 30 or so I felt comfortable dropping $30k+ on a watch
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:10 PM   #9
Ihatecheese
Banned

I would not make that kind of purchase due to impatience be if for a watch or anything. But if it's small change and the op doesn't care, then no worries.

Gold and blue whilst lovely isn't universally going to suit things. It's v diff to the watches they were looking at

The experience sometimes shared here is more people using emotive reasons to make irrational decisions ;)
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:15 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As you have two SS it might be time to get a PM, esp as the SS Daytona is still selling for a high premium. For an everyday watch I would favour a Ceramic model, better protection for the bezel which marks up easily and less conspicuous for those more discrete times.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:40 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you love it, want it and have the means to buy it, then buy it.

However, it appears you have a doubt. And where there is a doubt there is no doubt.

If I could justify the purchase of a PM watch to myself I would be wearing a Blue Sub Date or RG Sky Dweller every day. It wouldn't matter to me what anyone else thought.

So yes, I would. But I don't know if you would. And I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:03 PM   #12
MickMcGreggor
"TRF" Member

The white gold Daytona with blue dial looks amazing. I think you can get it cheaper than $35K pre-owned though. The bezel scratches easily and the scratches will be very apparent since the bezel is so shiny.
MickMcGreggor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:23 PM   #13
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Nice problem to have!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:39 PM   #14
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Old 24 May 2020, 09:50 PM   #15
APPRF
"TRF" Member

I would try and get a PM Daytona from an AD, and try for a discount. You will have a fresh watch, and warranty with your name on the card. You will have buying history that may score a nice SS sports Rolex down the road. You are definitely not nuts. A full gold Daytona is a bad ass watch.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:52 PM   #16
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Do it!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:05 PM   #17
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Am I nuts for considering a gold Daytona as my first Rolex?

I think going PM for your first is a great thing. I did it with a WG BLRO and I’m so glad I did.

I also have the WG blue dial Daytona you are thinking of getting and it is beautiful, and in fact quite versatile.

I do think that people overestimate how much these watches scratch. My WG BLRO has seen plenty of wrist time over the past 3 years and it looks fantastic. Sure it does not look mint like the day I got it. But I’ve swum in it, exercised and worn it work , and it still looks amazing.

Go for it, do it, don’t look back and in years to come you’ll look back and say “I’m glad I did that”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:22 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As you are somewhat new to the watch game I would try to continue to educate myself on what is available and what you might want. I wore a YG Daytona for almost 10 years as part of a two watch Rolex rotation, the other was a SS Submariner. Cool watch, but it was my first foray into PM watches and while I enjoyed it, in the end, I moved on. Part of the fun is the journey in collecting and if you do your homework and shop with some savvy you can at best, only loose a little. I would not start with a PM watch or a TT watch. I would start where you where looking, A SS Submariner-C ND. A classic watch and a cornerstone for any collection. Rugged and purpose designed, it is a pleasure to own and the Glide Lock Clasp makes for a perfect fit every time. You can get one from our Trusted Sellers slightly preowned for a very reasonable price, complete with box, papers and warranty. Buy one, wear it for a while and see what you like. Other models will show you the way, GMT's, Day Dates, Sky-Dwellers to just mention a few. Take the hype out of the Daytona and you will see other chronographs stacking up for a fraction of the price. But the hype does matter to some. I would skip the Daytona for now and go buy a Submariner and continue to learn. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:33 PM   #19
raretime
Banned

Interestingly, since you have much interest in the watch then go for it if you have the means.
raretime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:34 PM   #20
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Life is short and our time here is limited. If you like it, but my it! There is no requirement to ‘work your way up’ to a Gold reference.

And this isn’t like shopping around for your life partner where it’s worth taking the time to find the perfect match, it’s just a watch and there are loads that you’ll love and that will work just fine for you. It’s also the case that whatever you buy, something else will take your fancy eventually, because that’s how we work.

So if you have the coin, just do it.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:53 PM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's a great watch and one I think you'll enjoy.

As far as the money goes, we could've given you a better answer before the corona virus...as it stands, it's pretty much anyone's guess.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:07 PM   #22
Xenon
Banned

Your money, your call.

I got my first PM Sub after 10 years of cutting my teeth on a SS Sub as a daily beater.

Sure it may not scratch much but what is your OCD tolerance level?

Are you okay with paying $1,000 for a replacement link plus higher service charges?

How often will you wear it?

The weight is substantially heavier than PM which is sometimes and good sometimes bad depending on the temperature.

How old are you? Do you own a home with equity? How much in savings? Where do you work? etc etc etc.

None of our business I know but there is so much information left out.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:11 PM   #23
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Aren't we all a little nuts to begin with? I say go for it!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:16 PM   #24
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

If it sings to you then go for it. Most PM Rolex watches are special pieces. I own a YG Daytona and it gets a fair amount of wrist time, probably close to 50%, pretty much my daily in the summer. Sure there are some scratches and dings but it still looks great and has presence that only a few watches can. I never get tired of looking at it.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:29 AM   #25
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

I have many PM watches but wear mostly ss Daytona or AP. PM watches does give myself a wow factor but just not as practical as ss. I treat ss like normal watch while treat PM worh more care. I wouldn't sell my PM watches even if I dont wear them but I just dont sell anything either. For me PM watches occasional and ss everyday
Goonthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:37 AM   #26
smk210
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610LN
There's absolutely nothing wrong with starting up big. If you can afford it then go for it. At some point in life, we seem to be nuts.
smk210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:45 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
At the price offered I would try to get it from an AD. As has been said you may be able to pay about the same with a discount and you have your own brand new watch.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:47 AM   #28
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I don’t blame you for not wanting to pay over retail, it’s insanity.

I all for buying what you want and not what is available. I would consider looking at the Seamaster line. On paper, they are better than the Sub, my opinion of course!

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:59 AM   #29
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnn View Post

don't buy it

be spread out over multiple pieces.

buy the watch you love, and not consider future value

Rolex is in a bubble!

You’ve said it all yourself!

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:05 AM   #30
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGreggor View Post
The white gold Daytona with blue dial looks amazing. I think you can get it cheaper than $35K pre-owned though. The bezel scratches easily and the scratches will be very apparent since the bezel is so shiny.
Ditto
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote