The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 7 October 2018, 01:15 AM   #1
coolerfiend
"TRF" Member

Auto Rolex needs a shake to start even with hand winding

Hi,

I recently acquired a Rolex Explorer 114270 from 2005. Service history unknown. When the watch comes to a stop, winding the crown will not cause it to start up, it needs a shake to get the second hand moving. However, I did a test where I started with it fully stopped and out of charge, wound the crown 60 times and then shook the watch for 5 seconds, then set it down, and it did run for the 48 hours of full power reserve. So, I know the hand winding does in fact charge the mainspring. It's jsut that hand winding alone will not cause the second hand to start running.

Anything to worry about here?

Thanks!
coolerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 05:38 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2020 Rolex+Tudor Giveaway Patron

Watch: GMT's
Pretty common for a mechanical watch and many other gear operated machines.
Old 7 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Time for a service. A freshly serviced or new watch will start running with only a few turns of the crown from a dead stop. Probably a bit of beat error, dried oil or both going on.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:03 PM   #4
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 DateJust
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valenciawatchrepair View Post
time for a service. A freshly serviced or new watch will start running with only a few turns of the crown from a dead stop. Probably a bit of beat error, dried oil or both going on.
nboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:17 PM   #5
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618/15707/15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Time for a service. A freshly serviced or new watch will start running with only a few turns of the crown from a dead stop. Probably a bit of beat error, dried oil or both going on.
I have bought multiple new rolexes the last few years and that is not my experience. I have two submariners for example that are from 2017 and 2018, either one has to be almost fully wind or needs a little shake to get ticking.
Old 23 January 2020, 05:56 AM   #6
wristpost
"TRF" Member

Just received my 126710BLRO pepsi a month ago and im experiencing the exact same thing you mentioned above. I also noticed that all my other watches start ticking after a few winds from a complete stop howevrt that is not the case with my brand new pepsi. After a conplete dead stop i would manually wind it 50+ times and it would not start. Only after a shake would it start. Can someone let us know if this is normal?

Thanks
wristpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristpost View Post
. . . Can someone let us know if this is normal?

Thanks
A watch movement is made up of 200 individual parts. Many of these parts are moving and must mesh or slide with other parts; there is also a certain amount of torque that is inherent in the gear train as the mainspring must push against it all to get it moving.

Once in a while we need to physically break the "torque lock" of some parts pressing against others, or overcome extra friction that may be at some critical parts.

In a perfect world it would all be precisely lubed and free of friction - real life is seldom perfect. Give it a light tap with a finger, or a quick flick, you won't break it.
Old 23 January 2020, 09:46 AM   #8
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

My Omega PO 2500 has been doing the same for a while too.

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:35 PM   #9
wristpost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A watch movement is made up of 200 individual parts. Many of these parts are moving and must mesh or slide with other parts; there is also a certain amount of torque that is inherent in the gear train as the mainspring must push against it all to get it moving.

Once in a while we need to physically break the "torque lock" of some parts pressing against others, or overcome extra friction that may be at some critical parts.

In a perfect world it would all be precisely lubed and free of friction - real life is seldom perfect. Give it a light tap with a finger, or a quick flick, you won't break it.
Thanks for the prompt response.

I understand that this could be an occasional thing now. However this is the only way it will start up after a complete stop. FYI it is brand new bought in December 2019 from the AD. Should I be considered that it is happening now, right out the box and not after many years?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A7020612-FFC8-4382-8A1F-667D0EF78493.jpeg (48.9 KB, 64 views)
wristpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:20 PM   #10
padi56

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristpost View Post
Thanks for the prompt response.

I understand that this could be an occasional thing now. However this is the only way it will start up after a complete stop. FYI it is brand new bought in December 2019 from the AD. Should I be considered that it is happening now, right out the box and not after many years?
Depends on how you were winding it as they only wind on the forward wind and the 32 series movement would need around 60 full crown turns clockwise only to fully wind mainspring.Even after a manual wind some might even then need a gentle shake to start all normal.As long as it keeps running keeping good time you have nothing to worry about.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote