The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2020, 11:24 PM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
That whole FOMO thing

So I'm in the AD last week picking up a ring that I had them make for my wifey's birthday, yes a custom piece, big bucks but she's worth it, and we (the manager and I) were chatting about this and that, and he's a Rolex enthusiast himself, and it came around to what do I want next. I'm on the list for a sub but also kind of on the list for the next GMT (coke or pepsi). Yes, I know, there is no Coke yet.

I honestly didn't care for the Pepsi originally, and despite numerous threads on the argument, it appears (to me) that they have modified the colors somewhat (I guess it depends on which of the only two women in the world who knows how to make them, made a particular one) so that the red is now darker and to my eyes, much more attractive. So I've fallen into the camp of "my next Rolex will be a BLRO". I've never had a Rolex with Jubilee, so I don't know how I'd like it.

Natch if it comes in and is saved for me and I don't like it, he can easily sell it to someone else, no harm, no foul, no ruined relationship.

And no, I'm not going grey. mjb does not pay a premium.

But I can't help but wonder to myself, has my attraction to the Pepsi increased because you can't get one, fear of missing out, or is it something that I really want? I have seen the WG edition, and I've owned a couple of GMTs in the past, so it won't be a big surprise in that regard.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:31 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
So I'm in the AD last week picking up a ring that I had them make for my wifey's birthday, yes a custom piece, big bucks but she's worth it, and we (the manager and I) were chatting about this and that, and he's a Rolex enthusiast himself, and it came around to what do I want next. I'm on the list for a sub but also kind of on the list for the next GMT (coke or pepsi). Yes, I know, there is no Coke yet.

I honestly didn't care for the Pepsi originally, and despite numerous threads on the argument, it appears (to me) that they have modified the colors somewhat (I guess it depends on which of the only two women in the world who knows how to make them, made a particular one) so that the red is now darker and to my eyes, much more attractive. So I've fallen into the camp of "my next Rolex will be a BLRO". I've never had a Rolex with Jubilee, so I don't know how I'd like it.

Natch if it comes in and is saved for me and I don't like it, he can easily sell it to someone else, no harm, no foul, no ruined relationship.

But I can't help but wonder to myself, has my attraction to the Pepsi increased because you can't get one, fear of missing out, or is it something that I really want? I have seen the WG edition, and I've owned a couple of GMTs in the past, so it won't be a big surprise in that regard.

Thoughts?
Of course! That’s what every haute product / brand wants.

Scarcity is a studied and followed short term tactic (one day only sale or Black Friday), and/or also a near or fully permanent long term strategy to reset the demand curve (only 5000 per year for a 7500 market).

Problem is, eventually something better comes along and the higher acquisition cost can be lost. If you keep the item, no problem. If it’s bought with the hope it’ll appreciate, you could be screwed.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:55 PM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

Worry about it when you're presented the opportunity to purchase. Otherwise you're worried about FOMO, giving yourself FOFOMO instead, and that simply doesn't have the same ring to it.

Hopefully you get the call, text or smoke signal soon.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:55 PM   #4
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

Thoughts?

By chance, is this store north of Charlotte and does the SA wear a DJ41 Wimbledon (and beard)? If so, I met him on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:13 AM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
By chance, is this store north of Charlotte and does the SA wear a DJ41 Wimbledon (and beard)? If so, I met him on Tuesday.
I'm in Cary. We're more east than north of you, I think.

I don't know what a Wimbledon is. I think he wears a president.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 25 January 2020, 12:22 AM   #6
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

It’s almost axiomatic in watch collecting that the “proper” reason for buying a particular watch is “because you like it” and that “improper” reasons are concerns about value retention and FOMO.

Personally I find the whole notion of good and bad reasons for buying a watch ludicrous. We’re talking about watches, not a moral conundrum. I don’t see FOMO as any less valid a reason for buying a watch than because you’re an aficionado of the movement. Some people say FOMO means you’re more likely to regret a purchase and move the watch on. But watch enthusiasts are absolutely notorious for churning through lots of references on a whim anyway. It’s not like watches bought due to FOMO explains that particular phenomenon.

That is without pointing out the fact that absolutely everybody is influenced by emotional, psychological and subliminal factors when making purchases. Doubly so when we’re talking luxury goods. Anybody who says “marketing doesn’t work on me” or “I’m not influenced by other people” is either deluded or a very unusual and exceptional person.

So OP, chances are you have been at least slightly afflicted by FOMO and it’s all good.
Old 25 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #7
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

Thoughts?

Talking in the 3rd person. I love it
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:36 AM   #8
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Talking in the 3rd person. I love it
mjb appreciates your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
So OP, chances are you have been at least slightly afflicted by FOMO and it’s all good.
Thank you for that. So, it's OK to be manipulated as long as you are aware of the manipulation?

Reminds me of a girlfriend from long ago...

Old 25 January 2020, 01:01 AM   #9
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Personally, FOMO is lost on me. I'm not a gotta have it kinda guy, just because it's the "in" thing....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:06 AM   #10
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Personally, FOMO is lost on me. I'm not a gotta have it kinda guy, just because it's the "in" thing....
But you don't know what you're missing...
Old 25 January 2020, 01:09 AM   #11
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:

But I can't help but wonder to myself, has my attraction to the Pepsi increased because you can't get one, fear of missing out

Thoughts?
100% agree not to pay over retail for the BLRO. Good for you!

As for FOMO, I think you might be onto something here. Human nature works in funny ways and I think FOMO is definitely a real thing for many (most?) people.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:24 AM   #12
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
I'm in Cary. We're more east than north of you, I think.

I don't know what a Wimbledon is. I think he wears a president.

I am in Cary also. A few days ago I was visiting my mother in Cornelius/Lake Norman and popped into Fink’s at Birkdale and met the gent I described.

I’ve been to Fink’s at Streets and North Hills a few times. I actually purchased my DJ41, BLNR, and Daytona in 2019 from an AD in SC.

Good to “meet” a fellow Cary Watch Greek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:36 AM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is, as usual, a richly insightful post. The book Influence by Dr. Robert Cialdini covers the various psychological influences including scarcity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It’s almost axiomatic in watch collecting that the “proper” reason for buying a particular watch is “because you like it” and that “improper” reasons are concerns about value retention and FOMO.

Personally I find the whole notion of good and bad reasons for buying a watch ludicrous. We’re talking about watches, not a moral conundrum. I don’t see FOMO as any less valid a reason for buying a watch than because you’re an aficionado of the movement. Some people say FOMO means you’re more likely to regret a purchase and move the watch on. But watch enthusiasts are absolutely notorious for churning through lots of references on a whim anyway. It’s not like watches bought due to FOMO explains that particular phenomenon.

That is without pointing out the fact that absolutely everybody is influenced by emotional, psychological and subliminal factors when making purchases. Doubly so when we’re talking luxury goods. Anybody who says “marketing doesn’t work on me” or “I’m not influenced by other people” is either deluded or a very unusual and exceptional person.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:47 AM   #14
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
But you don't know what you're missing...
Or care...
Old 25 January 2020, 02:52 AM   #15
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Or care...
lol... I was playing off of the FOMO theme.
Old 25 January 2020, 02:53 AM   #16
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
So, it's OK to be manipulated as long as you are aware of the manipulation?

Reminds me of a girlfriend from long ago...
Believe I may have known her sister.
Old 25 January 2020, 02:55 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
FOMO and YOLO are the primary reasons why so many people are in debt and unhappy with their lives
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:58 AM   #18
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
lol... I was playing off of the FOMO theme.
I got it..
Old 25 January 2020, 05:11 AM   #19
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

DO NOT MISS OUT.

If you do not buy it now, it will cost you more in the future.

The is also the issue of "inclusivity" that lives within exclusivity.

So for example...people see people on TRF getting Pepsi GMT...they want to be inclusive of that "club" that has an item that is "exclusive" from others.

I have a Pepsi GMT so I belong in this haute club and am way better than those who can't get it at all.

It's a double ego massage for the price of one!!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:25 AM   #20
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's a double ego massage for the price of one!!
Does that come with or without the happy ending? I don't want to miss out on it...
Old 25 January 2020, 05:30 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Doubt you're feeling POMO. Sounds more like you know what you will enjoy, and what you want. You get what you want, and no big deal if you have to wait. And if you don't want something, you don't get it.

For me, the joy is in having a great AD that knows my taste. Because then they can surprise me with things I might not be aware of. This is one of the many joys of a great dealer, and having a truly synergistic relationship.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:35 AM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does that come with or without the happy ending? I don't want to miss out on it...

Don't miss out!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:56 AM   #23
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Thoughts?
Your attraction to the BLRO was piqued by the (possibly perceived) hue change, so that's more of a tangible aspect of the watch itself, rather than influence from hype. But... was that (possibly perceived) hue change itself a subconscious way to justify giving in to FOMO?
I don't think FOMO is necessarily a bad thing. What's worrisome is what financially self-destructive lengths some people might go to in order to satisfy it.

BTW, the true nature of FOMO depends on your region or circumstances.

In Japan: DOMO
In Dallas: ROMO
Crooning: COMO
Run out of gas: NOMO
Steering your car: MOMO
At the gym: BROMO
Drinking coffee: JOEMO
Acid blood: NOSTROMO
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:53 AM   #24
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Don't miss out!
I never miss a happy ending!
Old 25 January 2020, 11:31 AM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I never miss a happy ending!

O...M...G
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote