The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 January 2020, 02:57 AM   #1
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Looking at 1305 or 692 for 1st Panerai

I have been wearing a large Oris diver for 10 years. It is stainless steel and has some heft to it which doesnt bother me. I have never had a Titanium watch and have just learned a little about the BMG technology used in the 692. There is a $3k price difference, which for me, is significant. That being said, I do like the "looks" of the 692 slightly more than the 1305.

My questions are as follows:

- I am rough on my watch and wear it for everything, everyday. I have heard the grade 2 titanium can scratch more easily than steel? I have read the BMG scratches less. Not sure how much of this is marketing hype, nor I am sure how much easier Ti scratches compared to SS? Any input is appreciated.

-I also cannot find any listed weights for these watches, and I am wondering which watch is lighter?

- I have read some reports of cracked lugs with the BMG tech. Any thoughts on that?

- I have read it is possible to get around 20% off. Locally I have a Tourneau store where I could buy or order one of these. Is that a store that gives discounts? I have found many online dealers with discounts reaching near 20% but I do not want to get scammed and get a fake watch, any insight here is appreciated greatly!

Would be great to hear from anyone who owns either watch and what their thoughts are.

Thank You
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 05:13 PM   #2
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
BMG is great and definitely worth to consider.
With regards to cracked lugs, yes, it happened to some 1st generation models ( in fact one of my friend from other Panerai forum reported it), but apart of few cases i have not heard much about it.

1305 ( or 305 ) is consider as very durable watch and been around for long time.

Yes it is possible to get 20 % off form AD , but not from Boutique.

Most important question is did you have a chance to try either of watches.
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 06:12 PM   #3
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
I suggest you go for the 799, a bmg case submersible with a carbotech bezel. it's the 2nd generation bmg so would be less chance of repeating the lug failure, and the carbotech bezel is more scratch resistant than steel or bmg. ask for at least 10% discount from AD as it's not as sought after as other new releases last year.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 08:11 PM   #4
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Thank you

I was thinking the 1389 is like the 799 in some ways with the ceramic bezel. Im assuming the ceramic bezel would be harder to scratch as well?
Old 3 January 2020, 08:54 PM   #5
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post
Thank you

I was thinking the 1389 is like the 799 in some ways with the ceramic bezel. Im assuming the ceramic bezel would be harder to scratch as well?

Definitely, ceramic bezels dont easily scratch (if it scratches at all) compared to Steel or Titanium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 09:32 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go with the 1305 as I have one and have a lot of wear with it. I bought mine from my AD, pre-owned, for sub 6k and have not missed a beat. I have owned the 389 and the 1389 and they are great watches but the ceramic bezel in the end did not do it for me. I like the Panerai 243 but it is only 44mm and the 1305 at 47mm is the right size for me. I would look at our Trusted Sellers for pre-owned and save big. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_102641 (002).jpg (187.0 KB, 169 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 11:13 PM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I have the newest 1305 model, but I also considered the 692. I was able to get 20% off the 1305 BNIB. I am not sure if I would have been able to get exactly the same deal with the 692. I ended up choosing the 1305 for a couple of reasons...

The 1305 has a more classic look and was more versatile. I do love the blue of the BMG dial, but for such a large, different piece in my collection I wanted something more utilitarian. The newest 1305 does have "Submersible" and "300m/1000ft" in blue on the dial in addition to the seconds hand. So it still gave me a touch of blue I wanted. I was somewhat skeptical of the case material, but I was also confident that Panerai would "make right" any defect or issue that might arise. However, titanium is tried and true. I have not found that my 1305 has scratched easily. My biggest "complaint," if there is one, is that the rotor does make a noticeable noise if you move your wrist suddenly. This is just a fact of life with this particular movement (which I believe is used in every 47mm Panerai Submersible that doesn't have any unusual complications).

In the end, I figured if I was getting something this big, I didn't want it to stand out in other ways. All of that said, I am by no means trashing the BMG-Tech. The hue on that blue dial is gorgeous. The case material doesn't overly impress me, but I have no doubt Panerai knows what they are doing and can assert to its robustness. Not to oversimplify, but it really comes down to mostly the same watch with a black or blue dial.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:22 AM   #8
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Thank You, i sent you a PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I have the newest 1305 model, but I also considered the 692. I was able to get 20% off the 1305 BNIB. I am not sure if I would have been able to get exactly the same deal with the 692. I ended up choosing the 1305 for a couple of reasons...

The 1305 has a more classic look and was more versatile. I do love the blue of the BMG dial, but for such a large, different piece in my collection I wanted something more utilitarian. The newest 1305 does have "Submersible" and "300m/1000ft" in blue on the dial in addition to the seconds hand. So it still gave me a touch of blue I wanted. I was somewhat skeptical of the case material, but I was also confident that Panerai would "make right" any defect or issue that might arise. However, titanium is tried and true. I have not found that my 1305 has scratched easily. My biggest "complaint," if there is one, is that the rotor does make a noticeable noise if you move your wrist suddenly. This is just a fact of life with this particular movement (which I believe is used in every 47mm Panerai Submersible that doesn't have any unusual complications).

In the end, I figured if I was getting something this big, I didn't want it to stand out in other ways. All of that said, I am by no means trashing the BMG-Tech. The hue on that blue dial is gorgeous. The case material doesn't overly impress me, but I have no doubt Panerai knows what they are doing and can assert to its robustness. Not to oversimplify, but it really comes down to mostly the same watch with a black or blue dial.
Old 4 January 2020, 04:31 AM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post
Thank You, i sent you a PM
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:30 AM   #10
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Love my 1305. It's on the wrist right now. I'd buy it all over again if I had to. As far as Panerai, I rotate through my 111, 1024, 372 and 1305. My 1305 is my favorite daily wear sport watch of the bunch. It's a big watch but it disappears on the wrist due to the titanium and just looks so cool. I find myself staring at it all the time. I don't find it worth it to spend on the other materials. Especially given how much I've come to like the Ti.
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote