The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2019, 06:13 AM   #1
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Ginault Ocean Rover Discussion Thread.

I got this one in a trip to the US this month. I was looking for a watch with a lower price point to wear on "is it safe?" situations. I own Seiko, Citizen and other watches that fit that category, but I never had one with perfect adjustment. When I found out their watches had some kind of glidelock clasp I was in trouble. To sum it up it's a well finished, comfortable and accurate watch with perfect adjustment on the wrist. The sword hands make the watch look different from the Sub and I'll throw a silver seconds hand and call it a day. For 1k I think it was a good choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (139.3 KB, 375 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Paul7
Banned

It would be hard to argue the Ginault is inferior to a Sub.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:07 AM   #3
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

You should not have told me about this watch my friend. Now I’m thinking of buying one.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:23 AM   #4
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If anyone wants perfect replacement of 5 digit Rolex Sub (with a glidelock) then this Ginault is the answer. It is so perfect copy that its a clone!

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:41 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
You should not have told me about this watch my friend. Now I’m thinking of buying one.
Well.. I knew it.

You know how I feel about this watch and the guilt and apprehension I had to start this thread. As if I cheated on my wife but the girl was so hot I couldn't say no lol. I never had a watch I did not discuss here so I said screw it. As far as I know the company operates formally under US laws so it's not my problem.

For almost seven years I've been wearing one of my black Submariners every single day. I was seriously considering buying my fourth, now a 16610, but the bracelet has that half link attached to the clasp and I can't make it fit right because I need just 4 links at 6 o'clock. I even made contact with a seller, but 8k for a good one + 1k for service + 2.5K for a 97200 bracelet with glidelock clasp would be a total of 11.5k to own another black Submariner, and this would be the first I'd have to mod.

That didn't make any sense even for me, so I got this one instead to wear on special missions, I'll use the rest of the money to take my wife to Paris next month and that's it.
Old 26 March 2019, 03:48 AM   #6
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
If anyone wants perfect replacement of 5 digit Rolex Sub (with a glidelock) then this Ginault is the answer. It is so perfect copy that its a clone!

Never saw one IRL but I believe you. I didn't even consider this one because the cyclops is perhaps the most distinctive Rolex sign, and I've heard people saying many times they'd never buy a No Date Rolex because nobody would recognize it, so I think the one with cyclops has a "No trespassing" sign on it but that is just my personal view.
Old 26 March 2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
I have the one with the SD-date window..
perfect beater-sub!

Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:19 PM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing my Gerrit. The one with the cyclops no way, never thought about one and the other ones with exotic colors are just bad, but this one you own I thought about. I thought about a Steinhart in the past too. In the end the only model I'd buy I already bought so the 'discussion' part of the thread is in danger lol. I guess it's been, I don't know, seven years, I really don't know, but I thought about getting a Steinhart ocean one (not sure thats the name), the one with fake patina but I'm glad I never did. I made contact with them and I was in Germany and I made contact to buy one and they took, I don't know, 24h to reply, and I thought are you kidding me. You'll sell me a knock off and I'm not important. I'm making you a favor lol. but years passed. Funny. Nice to remember that.
Old 27 March 2019, 04:09 AM   #9
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Thanks for sharing my Gerrit. The one with the cyclops no way, never thought about one and the other ones with exotic colors are just bad, but this one you own I thought about. I thought about a Steinhart in the past too. In the end the only model I'd buy I already bought so the 'discussion' part of the thread is in danger lol. I guess it's been, I don't know, seven years, I really don't know, but I thought about getting a Steinhart ocean one (not sure thats the name), the one with fake patina but I'm glad I never did. I made contact with them and I was in Germany and I made contact to buy one and they took, I don't know, 24h to reply, and I thought are you kidding me. You'll sell me a knock off and I'm not important. I'm making you a favor lol. but years passed. Funny. Nice to remember that.
A vote here for Steinhart, how is a 24 hour response a bad thing? Like Rolex, 4 micron finish tolerances, sapphire crystal, 300m capability, Swiss ETA movement that in the three weeks I've owned my Ocean One 39 is -.7 seconds per day. Unlike Rolex it has a non-glare crystal coating that makes it more readable and comes in 39mm, perfect for my 6.5" wrist, and you can actually buy one. IMHO 85%+ of the quality of a Sub at 5% of the price. Amazing the fine watch that can be offered for a low price when they don't have to spend millions on advertising, retail stores, or celebrity endorsement contracts, and with the help of modern CNC machining. Granted Rolex QC is better, but if you have a company like Steinhart with a two year warranty who will make any issues good, so what? And yes, I could afford a Sub, I could buy one a week with my income, but why? Not knocking Rolex, I have an inherited DJ I wear for more dressy occasions, just not crazy about the luxury direction Rolex has gone. To me, the Steinhart is what Rolex used to be, a tough, good looking diver tool watch at a good price. Rolex doesn't 'own' the diver watch design, and they weren't the first to come out with it.

There is some question on the source of Ginault movements, and I've heard some bad stories of problems with them, and not good customer service from Ginault.
Old 27 March 2019, 04:23 AM   #10
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
A vote here for Steinhart, how is a 24 hour response a bad thing? Like Rolex, 4 micron finish tolerances, sapphire crystal, 300m capability, Swiss ETA movement that in the three weeks I've owned mine is -.7 seconds per day. Unlike Rolex it has a non-glare crystal coating that makes it more readable and comes in 39mm, perfect for my 6.5" wrist. IMHO 85%+ of the quality of a Sub at 5% of the price. Amazing the fine watch that can be offered for a low price when they don't have to spend millions on advertising, retail stores, or celebrity endorsement contracts, and with the help of modern CNC machining. Granted Rolex QC is better, but if you have a company like Steinhart with a two year warranty who will make any issues good, so what? And yes, I could afford a Sub, I could buy one a week with my income, but why? Not knocking Rolex, I have an inherited DJ I wear for more dressy occasions, just not crazy about the luxury direction Rolex has gone. To me, the Steinhart is what Rolex used to be, a tough, good looking diver tool watch at a good price. Rolex doesn't 'own' the diver watch design, and they weren't the first to come out with it.

There is some question on the source of Ginault movements, and I've heard some bad stories of problems with them, and not good customer service from Ginault.
Makes sense buddy. I was drinking and having a good time and should have kept my mouth shut here. Lucky me I had time to edit other silly posts on much more important threads than this one that no one reads. If you read my post again I wrote 'make a favor' instead of doing a favor. Ok in my first language there's just one word for both but c'mon. Idiotic post and I apologize.
Old 27 March 2019, 04:25 AM   #11
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
ANd without the cyclops!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 04:26 AM   #12
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
ANd without the cyclops!
Old 27 March 2019, 05:09 AM   #13
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Makes sense buddy. I was drinking and having a good time and should have kept my mouth shut here. Lucky me I had time to edit other silly posts on much more important threads than this one that no one reads. If you read my post again I wrote 'make a favor' instead of doing a favor. Ok in my first language there's just one word for both but c'mon. Idiotic post and I apologize.
No problem, I was just looking for an excuse to brag on my new Steinhart.

Old 27 March 2019, 05:13 AM   #14
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
No problem, I was just looking for an excuse to brag on my new Steinhart.

Wear it in good health my friend.
Old 17 October 2019, 01:09 PM   #15
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Interesting opinions on Ginault-Steinhart. Steinhart released limited runs of the Ocean 39 Explorer. I had looked hard at Ginault but their hands and movement caliber caused me to hesitate.
The Steinhart 39 Explorer looks very close to a 1960s Rolex 5513 Submariner with the rare Explorer 3-6-9 marked dial. But the real clincher is the durable Swiss ETA 2824-2 elabore' improved movement. That and the modern bracelet ala Rolex. So-its the best of both worlds-with a tough Swiss engine at an attractive price for a neat homage watch. I have one with the sapphire domed crystal and it keeps COSC time-along
with a 2-year warranty. Nice to substitute for the black Rolex Submariners in Mexico.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 01:07 AM   #16
ernie117
Banned

Watch: explorer1airking40
rolex is sticking it to the worlds super powers people fyi they are manipulation of the market is sick what goes around comes around swiss are not strong in the world they just hold the bank for intl settlements and the banking artel of the world
ernie117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 01:24 AM   #17
Sjmoore11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie117 View Post
rolex is sticking it to the worlds super powers people fyi they are manipulation of the market is sick what goes around comes around swiss are not strong in the world they just hold the bank for intl settlements and the banking artel of the world
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 01:52 AM   #18
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I don't know if it affects your opinion but there was a big post on Ginault, discussing his production of higher quality fake Rolex watches. Just google it if you want to know more.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 03:43 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I don't know if it affects your opinion but there was a big post on Ginault, discussing his production of higher quality fake Rolex watches. Just google it if you want to know more.
I know it all buddy. To be honest, the whole controversy makes it even more interesting for me. Never got a homage before, never modded a watch, but I really like this sob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (130.7 KB, 201 views)