The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 September 2019, 09:44 PM   #1
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Swimmer wanting suggestions for waterproof music player

Hi Everyone,
As the title states, I’m looking for a new MP3 player (or musical device) that I can wear for pool workouts. I’ve had mixed results w/the Apple Gen. 4 device. One lasted 8 yrs., the other only 1-1/2. I do have a great pair of earbuds already. TIA

Sorry for duplication- I know there was a post in year’s past but couldn’t find it via search tools. For some reason posts re: “is it safe...” kept appearing
Cheers!
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:38 PM   #2
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
Hi Everyone,
As the title states, I’m looking for a new MP3 player (or musical device) that I can wear for pool workouts. I’ve had mixed results w/the Apple Gen. 4 device. One lasted 8 yrs., the other only 1-1/2. I do have a great pair of earbuds already. TIA

Sorry for duplication- I know there was a post in year’s past but couldn’t find it via search tools. For some reason posts re: “is it safe...” kept appearing
Cheers!

Wow are there waterproof headphones?
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:40 PM   #3
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Wow are there waterproof headphones?
Not sure about headphones Only earbuds that I know of.
I swim laps and get bored staring at the pool’s blue line so I like to listen to music. Runners use them too due to sweat & rain.
The Apple shuffle was the sm. Gen 4 model that I’d clip onto the strap of my swimming goggles or suit.
Old 14 September 2019, 12:39 AM   #4
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Old 13 September 2019, 11:42 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

I believe that sony makes them for swimmers/runners. I was looking into them as a replacement for my ipod shuffle that I use for running (which seems to handle rain and sweat just fine, for 8 years).
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:42 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I believe that sony makes them for swimmers/runners. I was looking into them as a replacement for my ipod shuffle that I use for running (which seems to handle rain and sweat just fine, for 8 years).
Those old ipod devices are built like tanks.

Remember these

Still use this daily in my home office.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 04:09 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Those old ipod devices are built like tanks.

Remember these

Still use this daily in my home office.

iPod classic? I wish they still made those...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 04:26 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
yes indeed. 80G of storage and the old school glass front.

I have 10000 songs stored on it.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:46 AM   #9
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
I still have my iPod 2 with 2GB drive... I use it when I can't carry my huge iPhone running. I wish they still made them like that. My iPod 4 battery degraded quickly, but the 2 is still running strong.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:26 AM   #10
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm glad you started this thread! I've been looking into a pair as well. This lady at lane swim (and some guy) use them. Wish I had a pair for tomorrow's lane swim so I can listen to Korn's new album as I swim laps.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:39 PM   #11
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I'm glad you started this thread! I've been looking into a pair as well. This lady at lane swim (and some guy) use them. Wish I had a pair for tomorrow's lane swim so I can listen to Korn's new album as I swim laps.
Based on the number of responses so far given the timeframe, you may need to ask them what model they are.
Old 14 September 2019, 11:46 PM   #12
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
I use Bragi dash pro. Works for everything and has built in memory so that you don’t need your phone nearby when you do your work outs or swim...
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 12:49 AM   #13
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Based on the number of responses so far given the timeframe, you may need to ask them what model they are.
I'm heading to the pool in a few hours. I don't see that lady or the guy very often as they normally lane swim on weeknights. I would also love to hear what they have to say on battery life, sound quality, and over all ease of use.

The main ones I see on Amazon still leave many questions unanswered. I'm a bit concerned about the Sony ones staying in when I do flip turns or butterfly especially. Then every time I add new music I'll have to sync it to media player manually I'm guessing:

Since they're just MP3 players for the most part I won't be able to get around the file transfer method most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
I use Bragi dash pro. Works for everything and has built in memory so that you don’t need your phone nearby when you do your work outs or swim...
Thanks for pointing that out. When I looked into the Sony ones they basically seemed like a Walkman / MP3 player I would have to put the files on from my computer. If something somehow had connectivity with my Android I could (hopefully) transfer playlists from my phone's storage and navigate those with just the headphones in the pool.

What's the sound quality like? Any issues with them staying in place at all?
Old 17 September 2019, 08:26 AM   #14
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Icon20

Quote:
I'm heading to the pool in a few hours. I don't see that lady or the guy very often as they normally lane swim on weeknights. I would also love to hear what they have to say on battery life, sound quality, and over all ease of use.

The main ones I see on Amazon still leave many questions unanswered. I'm a bit concerned about the Sony ones staying in when I do flip turns or butterfly especially. Then every time I add new music I'll have to sync it to media player manually I'm guessing:

Since they're just MP3 players for the most part I won't be able to get around the file transfer method most likely.

Thanks for pointing that out. When I looked into the Sony ones they basically seemed like a Walkman / MP3 player I would have to put the files on from my computer. If something somehow had connectivity with my Android I could (hopefully) transfer playlists from my phone's storage and navigate those with just the headphones in the pool.

What's the sound quality like? Any issues with them staying in place at all?
They come with a silicon “wrap” or a rubber like bud. Both offers decent sound isolation and has no issues staying in place. I sweat quite a bit when I run and they stay in place like a champ. It’s only when I wear a hoodie where issues start to come in, as it’s a touch interface to control volume, skipping a track etc...otherwise sound quality is above average as it has pretty good dynamic range. Battery life is as advertised and should last you around three hours per charge.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 11:25 AM   #15
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Swimmer wanting suggestions for waterproof music player

Thanks for the GREAT advice & PM’s sent everyone!
I have some research to do...coincidentally, I spoke w/a swimmer today that loves her FINIS Duo MP3 player. It worked well w/ swim cap & goggles; no interfering cords etc. Hmmmm...what to do!?!?

Old 15 September 2019, 10:50 PM   #16
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
Thank you Patrick! I will look into this model as well; it has quite a few reviews on Amazon. Happy Swimming.
Old 15 September 2019, 01:38 AM   #17
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the responses! I thought I needed a new musical device since my earbuds are already waterproof. Being out of touch for close to 10 yrs., I’m now under the impression that I should search for “waterproof BT earbuds and use my phone’s music library”. Am I understanding that correctly?. Then do you just put your phone in a ziplock bag by the pool’s edge? I’m old...bare w/me & my naive questions.

Old 15 September 2019, 06:54 AM   #18
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I really miss the iPod classic as well! It was such a nice device and great for other file storage too it seems. I've looked on eBay before and they seem difficult to find in good shape now.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses! I thought I needed a new musical device since my earbuds are already waterproof. Being out of touch for close to 10 yrs., I’m now under the impression that I should search for “waterproof BT earbuds and use my phone’s music library”. Am I understanding that correctly?. Then do you just put your phone in a ziplock bag by the pool’s edge? I’m old...bare w/me & my naive questions.

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out at the moment too. Depending on where you swim this can work well. If you go to an actual 50 meter Olympic pool the range could be an issue for Bluetooth. 25 meters can work potentially but I guess the environment around the pool deck plays a role in how well.

I've got Bose Soundsport wireless and get fairly good range at home but it depends.

It would be great if a pair had both internal storage to add a playlist and Bluetooth capabilities. Most of the ones I saw thus far were indeed the MP3 player built into the waterproof headphones (file transfer required).

How large is your music library roughly?
Old 15 September 2019, 08:44 AM   #19
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out at the moment too. Depending on where you swim this can work well... 25 meters can work potentially but I guess the environment around the pool deck plays a role in how well.

It would be great if a pair had both internal storage to add a playlist and Bluetooth capabilities. Most of the ones I saw thus far were indeed the MP3 player built into the waterproof headphones (file transfer required).

How large is your music library roughly?
I’m used to 2gb from the old iPod shuffle. So ... there’s that issue of the Apple ecosystem. An 8gb device would be plenty but seriously thinking about just trying BT buds now & using iPhone. Hmmmm...more research needed.
[I can always revive this thread if/when I purchase an item too.]
Old 15 September 2019, 09:01 AM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

You can definitely give that a try and see how it works. The Ziploc bag will protect your phone on the pool deck and this way you're taking a shot at making your life much easier.

My media's all kept on Windows and luckily with my MacBook Air I've got Windows 10 installed also for the sole purpose of putting music onto my Android.

With iTunes I think there's a way to get a copy of your library (or certain files) as MP3's. If this method (Bluetooth with phone) doesn't work you can always try maybe the Sony pair off Amazon and transfer the files you want. Storage won't be an issue it seems so at least that one less thing to worry about.
Old 15 September 2019, 11:02 PM   #21
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You can definitely give that a try and see how it works. The Ziploc bag will protect your phone on the pool deck and this way you're taking a shot at making your life much easier...

...With iTunes I think there's a way to get a copy of your library (or certain files) as MP3's. If this method (Bluetooth with phone) doesn't work you can always try maybe the Sony pair off Amazon and transfer the files you want.
Thanks Rommel. Your input has been very useful. I do need to consider the pool’s environment since it’s rare that the whole pool is designated for laps. Swim lessons or exercise classes often coexist. Feel free to PM me and I will do the same based on item purchased with a review of use.
Old 16 September 2019, 11:24 PM   #22
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Absolutely, PM sent
Old 16 September 2019, 11:30 PM   #23
Brew
"TRF" Member

The pool is one of the few places on the planet I can get away from technology. Even if they work, I don't want to spoil this peace by fussing with a music player.

Just an alternate consideration. I get my best thinking done while swimming laps.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:13 AM   #24
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
The pool is one of the few places on the planet I can get away from technology...
Just an alternate consideration. I get my best thinking done while swimming laps.
I hear ya...
Interestingly, walking/running is when I clear my mind best and don’t listen to any music Different strokes for different folks (pun intended)
Cheers!
Old 17 September 2019, 12:07 AM   #25
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I can’t recommend any particular brand but have a couple of points to consider.

I’ve used the 1st gen Jabra bt in the past while running and learned all about the reduced mechanical grip when water gets in your ears. One or the other would fall out. So earbuds with a physical loop are best.

The IP rating is something to consider. I know IP67/68 will help guide you to products that can withstand immersion. But consider the reputation of the maker. Some no-name brand may simply print the rating while reputable brands actually submit the unit to the testing required to achieve the rating.

Apple won’t tell you but the Powerbeats are IPX4 rating. Splashing water is OK but not safe for immersion with any force. So OK for running in the rain but wouldn’t trust them for swimming.

Last thing - I suggest you leave the phone at home. By that I mean get a 3G/LTE smartwatch with plenty of storage. That becomes your player so you can choose from any type of bt wireless earbuds without paying extra for mp3 functions. Leaving the phone poolside has a risk of damage or theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:19 AM   #26
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I can’t recommend any particular brand but have a couple of points to consider...
Thank you very much Paul - useful info to research. Cheers!
Old 17 September 2019, 04:43 AM   #27
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Up until recently when I stopped swimming, I used the Sony in-ear Sports MP3 player (Model NW-WS413). They worked flawlessly. I was swimming 3x a week, about 7000m total, to help rehab my back. I hated it, and the only way I could swim that long was with music. The same goes for running, I need my tunes!

The Sony's I used were great, never had any issue with them coming out. The band is springy enough to provide just enough pressure around the head to keep them on without being obnoxiously uncomfortable. I've heard other people have used the jawbone ones (no particular brand) that allow your ears to be free, but I don't have any experience with them.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:11 AM   #28
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Up until recently when I stopped swimming, I used the Sony in-ear Sports MP3 player (Model NW-WS413). They worked flawlessly. I was swimming 3x a week, about 7000m total, to help rehab my back. I hated it, and the only way I could swim that long was with music. The same goes for running, I need my tunes! .
Will add to my research list - thank you!
I hope your back is doing better :)
Old 17 September 2019, 04:53 AM   #29
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Stream from an Apple Watch and then use your choice of waterproof headphones? I’ve done lap swimming in an Apple Watch with no ill effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote