The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2018, 08:58 AM   #1
LightVar
"TRF" Member

Considering trading 16570 for 114270

Practically speaking, I shouldn’t even be considering this. I’ve had the 16570 for almost a year and love it, but I keep looking at the 36mm Explorer.

If I could justify having both, that would be great, but that’s just not practical at this point.

Can anyone talk some sense into me so I can go back to getting to sleep at night? Why should I even be considering giving up what’s been a great watch, and practical for my daily wear, for something missing two functions I use daily and that lists 10-15% less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LightVar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 09:02 AM   #2
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

It's your call but I'd never do that
Old 27 July 2018, 09:07 AM   #3
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Never trade always add. Honestly though it's true, I have traded so many in the past and have regretted all of them and have bought many back. From now i have decided never to trade unless I really can't stand the watch which will never happen with collection I have now. Also I have found now I am so much more careful on what I pick and it takes such a long time because they all have to be keepers from now on.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 09:11 AM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The 114270 is a great watch. It was my first Rolex and I never ceased to be amazed at how practical and versatile a watch that it is.

As much as I love my Explorer, I think it would be a mistake to part with the 16570.

Save your money and add the 114270 when you can.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Add, don’t trade. This is a hobby. Practicality walked out the door a long time ago.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 11:29 AM   #6
FrankBullitt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
Add, don’t trade. This is a hobby. Practicality walked out the door a long time ago.
This. I just can't hand over one great watch, to get another watch I'm interested in. The 16570 is a great watch you could regret trading away.

The only watch I've ever traded away was an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra with a lovely blue dial. I traded it towards a Rolex, that I still own. I even got a great price for it. And I love the Rolex I traded it for.

My tastes have since changed, and I would not even buy another Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra now. But I loved that specific watch; I had a very positive experience buying it, at a very important time in my life, that I shared with someone I really love. That watch somehow captured that time for me every time I looked at it. I have truly regretted selling it ever since. It's not about the money in the end.

But maybe I'm just sentimental, watches do that to me. If you don't have strong associations with that watch, it may be different for you.
FrankBullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 11:43 AM   #7
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I wouldn't trade. The GMT function on the 16570 is useful and perfect for a 1 watch collection. I own both the 16570 and 114270 and they serve different purposes. 114270 prices are reasonable where I would save up and add if you can.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 11:58 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I wouldn’t.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 12:52 PM   #9
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
No way I’d do that.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Raynatic
"TRF" Member

short answer...no way
Raynatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 01:30 PM   #11
GMTSpas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,YMRG,DYTNA500
No good sir.
GMTSpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 01:47 PM   #12
RolexDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
As someone who just traded my 114270 for a 42mm Explorer... I agree wth the majority who say don’t do it. The 36mm is a great watch, but it lacks the sporty vibe of the 40mm watches. Not to mention, no date and no GMT.
RolexDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 12:40 AM   #13
LightVar
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback...confirms my initial thoughts.

Old 1 August 2018, 01:11 AM   #14
bigchelis
Banned

Watch: Rolex 114270
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightVar View Post
Practically speaking, I shouldn’t even be considering this. I’ve had the 16570 for almost a year and love it, but I keep looking at the 36mm Explorer.

If I could justify having both, that would be great, but that’s just not practical at this point.

Can anyone talk some sense into me so I can go back to getting to sleep at night? Why should I even be considering giving up what’s been a great watch, and practical for my daily wear, for something missing two functions I use daily and that lists 10-15% less?

I just made the same exact move you are thinking. Had a Polar 16570 Swiss Made dial and SEL. It definitely looks like a sports Rolex and luckily wears more like a 38~39mm. I swapped mine for a 114270 "M" Series.

I found two main issues with the Polar EXP2. First the GMT function made it slower for me to pick up the time. The Cyclops I could not just look down and tell the date. I had to twist my wrist way more than normal to actually see the date. So, it made the date and GMT function no go for me. heck and I traveled with my Polar and tried to use it for that. It worked but Its much faster and pain free to just set the time on the no date Exp1.

bigC
bigchelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 01:17 AM   #15
LightVar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
I just made the same exact move you are thinking. Had a Polar 16570 Swiss Made dial and SEL. It definitely looks like a sports Rolex and luckily wears more like a 38~39mm. I swapped mine for a 114270 "M" Series.

I found two main issues with the Polar EXP2. First the GMT function made it slower for me to pick up the time. The Cyclops I could not just look down and tell the date. I had to twist my wrist way more than normal to actually see the date. So, it made the date and GMT function no go for me. heck and I traveled with my Polar and tried to use it for that. It worked but Its much faster and pain free to just set the time on the no date Exp1.

bigC
Thanks for the reply...i've had similar "misgivings" with the Exp II, but more than anything, it seems that once or twice a day, I'll look down and the GMT hand will be aligned with the minute hand, and i find myself drawn more to the simple face of 3 hands. The date is a bigger mental hurdle for me to get over, as I seem to use that fairly regularly, but again, the aesthetic and 36mm size of the Exp just seems to captivate me more than Exp II.

To throw another wrench in the works, I rotate in my fathers YG, bark finish Day-Date with champagne dial once or twice a week to keep it running...the more I've thought about this potential swap, the more I convince myself that I could also go with a WG domed bezel, black dial DD (36mm).
Old 1 August 2018, 01:18 AM   #16
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
No chance
sdh1980 is offline   Reply With Quote