The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 July 2018, 03:17 AM   #1
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Bezel insert exchange at RSC

I have a K-series 16710 with a stain on the bezel insert that won’t polish out. Conveniently, I live within an hour of the Beverly Hills RSC and about 15 minutes from LAWW.

Is either a place that I could just drop in and have the insert exchanged without the papers? I have the papers, but would like to visit on short notice when I have the time and don’t plan on keeping the papers with me.

Secondly, if I remove the stained insert and bring the watch in without an insert for exchange could I still buy a replacement (ending up with both the new and stained)?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4608F9B4-DA2F-4A48-9CBD-8F792E9CA35D.jpeg (205.4 KB, 712 views)
Cubdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 03:18 AM   #2
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
As long as it isn't an original 16710 black bezel watch, RSC can swap it out for a Coke or Pepsi bezel in about 30 minutes to an hour.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 03:25 AM   #3
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply. I bought it new from an AD—and have the papers showing it as a 16710A—and would like to get a spare insert (either Coke or Pepsi) or at a minimum get the stained insert exchanged.
Old 26 July 2018, 03:30 AM   #4
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
As long as it isn't an original 16710 black bezel watch, RSC can swap it out for a Coke or Pepsi bezel in about 30 minutes to an hour.

I heard that didn’t matter since they are the same ref better the lugs ??
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 03:33 AM   #5
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I have the same coke and called into an AD asking about the cost of a Pepsi as well and they said it wasn’t possible. Said Rolex wouldn’t allow it and called it a Frankenstein!

Not my usual AD I might add, but not sure if this is true or just an AD who couldn’t be bothered to make a small sale?
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 03:59 AM   #6
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
I heard that didn’t matter since they are the same ref better the lugs ??
If it was originally a black bezel, they won't do it. From the source when I was at RSC NY.

Coke to Pepsi, Pepsi to Coke, but not black to either.
Old 26 July 2018, 04:02 AM   #7
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I have the same coke and called into an AD asking about the cost of a Pepsi as well and they said it wasn’t possible. Said Rolex wouldn’t allow it and called it a Frankenstein!

Not my usual AD I might add, but not sure if this is true or just an AD who couldn’t be bothered to make a small sale?
Hi Stephen....Definitely not true as I have just been to Rolex and swapped out my black bezel for a Pepsi no problem I just pay the small surcharge to keep the old one in all it’s a one hour and cost just over 50 quid they even told me I could do this as often as I liked but only one at a timeDefinitely not true as I have just been to Rolex and swapped out my black bezel for a Pepsi no problem I just pay the small surcharge to keep the old one in all it’s a one hour and cost just over 50 quid they even told me I could do this as often as I liked but only one at a time
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 04:10 AM   #8
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Hi Stephen....Definitely not true as I have just been to Rolex and swapped out my black bezel for a Pepsi no problem I just pay the small surcharge to keep the old one in all it’s a one hour and cost just over 50 quid they even told me I could do this as often as I liked but only one at a timeDefinitely not true as I have just been to Rolex and swapped out my black bezel for a Pepsi no problem I just pay the small surcharge to keep the old one in all it’s a one hour and cost just over 50 quid they even told me I could do this as often as I liked but only one at a time
Thanks and good to know that’s the case. Much appreciated :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 04:26 AM   #9
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdrick View Post
I have a K-series 16710 with a stain on the bezel insert that won’t polish out. Conveniently, I live within an hour of the Beverly Hills RSC and about 15 minutes from LAWW.

Is either a place that I could just drop in and have the insert exchanged without the papers? I have the papers, but would like to visit on short notice when I have the time and don’t plan on keeping the papers with me.

Secondly, if I remove the stained insert and bring the watch in without an insert for exchange could I still buy a replacement (ending up with both the new and stained)?

Thanks!

It depends on which rsc u go to, but I know for a fact that Beverly Hills rsc will replace it for u for about $60, any color. The catch is u have to surrender your old insert. It takes about an hour.

If u want to keep the old insert, I would advise finding a cheap one and replace before going in.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 04:33 AM   #10
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Thanks Omitohud!
Old 26 July 2018, 05:06 AM   #11
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
If it was originally a black bezel, they won't do it. From the source when I was at RSC NY.

Coke to Pepsi, Pepsi to Coke, but not black to either.

Must be a US thing. They will swap black to Pepsi in the U.K. mine was when I bought it (confirmed by RSC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 05:07 AM   #12
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Must be a US thing. They will swap black to Pepsi in the U.K. mine was when I bought it (confirmed by RSC).

To clarify, mine had 16710LN on the card also.

Old 26 July 2018, 05:20 AM   #13
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
To clarify, mine had 16710LN on the card also.

They would not do this at RSC NY, I tried in person.
Old 26 July 2018, 05:21 AM   #14
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They would not do this at RSC NY, I tried in person.

They do in U.K., although I was unclear as to whether it has to be included in the service or not.

Old 26 July 2018, 05:48 AM   #15
exador
Banned

Go to LAWW. They’ll be happy to replace and won’t confiscate your existing insert. They also have a good selection of faded inserts if you’re interested
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 05:56 AM   #16
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:

Thanks!
I'd be interested to learn how the Stain came about, could it be a flaw with the bezel, wouldn't hurt to ask the RSC for an explanation, you may be entitled to a FOC replacement? no harm asking,
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 06:48 AM   #17
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

I can’t figure out for the life of me how the stain came about. I first noticed it several years ago. At arms length it’s something only I can see and really need a correct light angle to highlight the imperfection. My best guess is a drop of sunscreen or some other liquid that wasn’t cleaned off? I can barely make out ring-like patterns hinting that it was a drop of something that either evaporated or bled?
Old 26 July 2018, 07:31 AM   #18
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Go to LAWW. They’ll be happy to replace and won’t confiscate your existing insert. They also have a good selection of faded inserts if you’re interested

Interesting. They have brand new service insert? At what cost? Even independents with Rolex account have to turn in the old insert along with serial number of the watch. Curious to know rather than check with Edvi.

Old 26 July 2018, 02:15 PM   #19
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Went to the BHSC a couple years ago and had a full service done. I had an original Pepsi bezel and wanted a coke. I paid like 60 bucks and they swapped it out for me and let me keep the Pepsi. I think if you get the same insert they will replace and take the old one.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 02:29 PM   #20
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Rolehex, do you suspect that is something you can just drop in for or is it by appointment? I’ll likely give then a call tomorrow. Thanks for your input!
Old 26 July 2018, 03:19 PM   #21
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolehex, do you suspect that is something you can just drop in for or is it by appointment? I’ll likely give then a call tomorrow. Thanks for your input!

No need to make appointment, they will take care of it in one hour.

Old 1 August 2018, 05:01 PM   #22
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Follow up: I called Beverly Hills RSC. They were happy to exchange my insert for $51. If I wanted to keep my old bezel, price was $71. The catch is they're currently undergoing renovations and all service would be FedExed to/from Pennsylvania RSC free of charge.

I stopped by in person today and the receptionist confirmed what was previously explained on the phone by another receptionist. It was then mentioned that I should swing by Geary's since the watchmaker was working today and that they're sending business that way during the renovation. I stopped by, met with the watchmaker and Geary's matched the price of BH RSC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2294.jpg (51.7 KB, 218 views)