The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2019, 01:09 AM   #1
OPfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36 white dial
Embarrassing noob question: setting a Datejust

Hi all!

On a modern Datejust, when setting the date, is there a "danger zone" for the hour and minute hand?

Also, can the time be set in either direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Thanks!
OPfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 01:14 AM   #2
zjd168
"TRF" Member

No.

I also set the time in both directions. No issue
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 01:19 AM   #3
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
It is good practice not to set the date during the hours of 21:00 and 03:00

Most watch manufactures advise against setting between those hours as the date change gears may be in use still.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 01:20 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

no.... however why would you set the date without knowing if you are in AM or PM?

Moving the hands past midnight to the correct time and then adjusting the date usually you are out of the danger zone anyway that some watches have so to me its more of a best practice.... not required.

I actually dont even know the mechanics if the quick set date defaults to AM when you move it or if it is whatever the watch is set at when it stopped.... just cant stand to have ambiguity so its always past midnight(usually 5 or 6 am which is the current time when i get up) and then quick set for multiple day changes
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 01:32 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
It is good practice not to set the date during the hours of 21:00 and 03:00

Most watch manufactures advise against setting between those hours as the date change gears may be in use still.
With all the Rolex movements not a problem to change hands and date at any time.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 01:33 AM   #6
pepsiretail
Banned

As above I always advance the hands forward until the date changes. I then set the time and finally the date.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 06:06 AM   #7
OPfan
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent advice!

It seems that, unlike with many other watches, there isn't a danger zone for setting the date.

And advice I got years ago to always move watch-hands clockwise to set the time doesn't apply either.

Thanks again!
Old 6 July 2019, 06:24 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPfan View Post

It seems that, unlike with many other watches, there isn't a danger zone for setting the date.

And advice I got years ago to always move watch-hands clockwise to set the time doesn't apply either.

Thanks again!
its a problem on a lot of other movements. I believe a common ETA base movement there is a danger zone and its very common on complicated watches with pepertual calendars/annual calendars etc

I just threat them all the same as far as how i set them so i dont have to keep track of what is what.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 06:25 AM   #9
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks again!

Correct, no issues with doing so with Rolex. Other brands will vary.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 06:35 AM   #10
OPfan
"TRF" Member

thanks, Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a problem on a lot of other movements. I believe a common ETA base movement there is a danger zone and its very common on complicated watches with pepertual calendars/annual calendars etc

I just threat them all the same as far as how i set them so i dont have to keep track of what is what.
Tyler, that makes a lot of sense, to make it a habit of setting the date outside the danger zone, no matter what watch you're handling.
Old 6 July 2019, 07:02 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
. . .
This is correct, other watches engage gears that slowly turn the date wheel into position. If you force a change while the gears are engage, they may incur damage

Rolex uses a cam and wheel that rotates once every 24 hours. When the wheel reaches a certain position, the cam moves and it releases a spring paddle that slaps the date wheel exactly one day. No gears to engage, no damage..
Old 6 July 2019, 07:39 AM   #12
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Out of practice I wouldn’t set a date watch a few hours before or after midnight. Don’t know if it’s strictly necessary but it don’t hurt none either.

Whenever setting the date I’d advance the date to the before (or after) today first and then advance (or rewind) the hour and minute hands. That way you know you know you’re in AM or PM.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 08:36 AM   #13
OPfan
"TRF" Member

to Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This is correct, other watches engage gears that slowly turn the date wheel into position. If you force a change while the gears are engage, they may incur damage

Rolex uses a cam and wheel that rotates once every 24 hours. When the wheel reaches a certain position, the cam moves and it releases a spring paddle that slaps the date wheel exactly one day. No gears to engage, no damage..
Thanks, Tools, for the explanation!
Old 6 July 2019, 11:04 AM   #14
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I always thought you weren't supposed to set the date between 23:00 and 1:00. Nice to learn something rather than read about new AD policies to curb flipping.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 12:08 PM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I set date for all my watches at 6am. It is the safest time and there is no need to remember the safety hours of every manufacturer.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
datejust , setting