The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 September 2019, 01:32 AM   #1
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116500LN Clasp damaged, looking for replacement part ref.

Good Morning.

I am sure that this will sound like a serious case of OCD, but that's how I am. Some of you will understand, so please don't judge me to harshly.

My 2017 Daytona 116500LN fell into the wrong hands (my son's) and he tried to close the clasp but unfortunately bent the hinge the wrong way. So now the hinge has a two areas in which you can see slightly bent metal due to the leverage exercised. I will try and add some pictures below.

And while the clasp works just fine, it bugs the hell out of me. OCD, yes.

Therefore, as silly as this may sound, I want to replace the clasp, but I am unsure if it is interchangeable with any of the other Rolex models. Ideally, I would like to keep the original clasp, but when I took it to my two ADs, they both want to keep the old one for an exchange.

Could anyone here tell me the part number of the clasp I should be looking for, please? Also, any smart ideas where to get it? ;) Thank you.

Chris
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #2
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Here are the pictures:

Old 11 September 2019, 12:32 PM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex has clamped down on spare parts. If two ADs both said this was a trade-in-only part then it's unlikely a dealer will risk selling a part outright without a trade-in.

If you're okay enough with the damage to want to keep it then you might as well just wear it and get it swapped at service time. Otherwise, pay the difference in exchange, get a new clasp and consider your watch no different than it was before your son made this mistake.

Good luck.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

You could have put "damage" in quotation marks, it would not have hurt my feelings. ;) I know that a sane and reasonable person would (and should) not be bothered by this at all. So you are right, but after all, this is a serious hobby, so I may give the green light on the exchange.

Given the "exchange only" policy at this time, do you know if they will give a sort of credit for the returned part? You said "pay the difference" and I was not sure as to how I should interpret that.

Thanks for your thoughts, always welcome.

Cheers

Chris
Old 11 September 2019, 06:04 PM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert

The RRP is the exchange price with the value of your old parts taken in to consideration.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 01:52 AM   #6
2024 Pledge Member

Well, it's still damaged whether in or out of quotation marks. The level of damage is minimal but it's not a scuff or scrape.

Yes, you'll get credit for your old clasp when trading it in to replace. Your dealer can tell you the exact amount or you can call RUSA at 212-758-7700 and ask them for a price. As watchmaker said, the price you were quoted very well may have included the exchange already.

If your watch is insured (and I hope it is) then this may be covered under accidental damage.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

I talked to the RSC today. A new clasp for the Daytona is $1,350 plus around $100 in labor and tax. But they want me to send the entire watch in, so I will probably cave and see that I can get it replaced at an AD here.

The wife thinks I have completely lost it.

Chris
Old 12 September 2019, 07:25 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
I talked to the RSC today. A new clasp for the Daytona is $1,350 plus around $100 in labor and tax. But they want me to send the entire watch in, so I will probably cave and see that I can get it replaced at an AD here.

The wife thinks I have completely lost it.

Chris
I would say your wife is a 100% correct, as long as clasp functions as normal if it needs replacing have it done at nest routine service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 09:07 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Your watch, your choice. I would replace it as if you were good with it we would not have heard from you here. Just money and time. Once it is repaired it will just be a memory.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:30 AM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I’d put the money towards a “beater” Tudor instead and replace your Daytona clasp at service. But make yourself happy and enjoy your watch is my suggestion even if that means a new clasp.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Send the clasp to Rolliworks and ask if they can laser-weld those cracks and refinish the metal to factory specs.

Certainly couldn't hurt, if you are already thinking that your clasp is toast.
Old 27 September 2019, 12:13 PM   #12
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all your advice, but I found an AD that is going to sell me the clasp (in exchange) with a little discount, so I think I will just exchange it and be done with it.

I have this routine, where I stop at the bank's safety deposit box about once every 2 weeks and switch out some of my Rolexes. I just noticed, that the Daytona has not seen daylight since the "mishap", while all others, even the most boring ones, have gotten wrist time. So I guess, I won't be wearing it until it's fixed.

My wife is right. I am insane.
Old 27 September 2019, 11:50 PM   #13
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you for all your advice, but I found an AD that is going to sell me the clasp (in exchange) with a little discount, so I think I will just exchange it and be done with it.

I have this routine, where I stop at the bank's safety deposit box about once every 2 weeks and switch out some of my Rolexes. I just noticed, that the Daytona has not seen daylight since the "mishap", while all others, even the most boring ones, have gotten wrist time. So I guess, I won't be wearing it until it's fixed.

My wife is right. I am insane.
Why dont you just send it to Rolliworks? It will only cost a couple hundred to repair, will look perfect and brand new when done and will only take a couple weeks. Im trying to understand your logic but I am truly stumped
Old 28 September 2019, 03:13 AM   #14
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Why dont you just send it to Rolliworks? It will only cost a couple hundred to repair, will look perfect and brand new when done and will only take a couple weeks. Im trying to understand your logic but I am truly stumped
Ok, well, let me try to explain the whole story. I purchased the watch about 15 months ago privately. It was used and had a nick in the flank, as well as some wear on the bracelet, especially the clasp and the flip safety. I agreed with the seller that the watch would go to Rolex for repair, and he would cover the cost (which he did).

Rolex managed to laser the flank and the watch looked like new. The flip safety, however, lost quite a bit of material, but they did the best they could. I'll post a picture in a minute. I was ok with the result.

So then my son managed to bend the clasp the wrong way, which brings us to my initial post. I showed the clasp to two ADs and both indicated that Rolex would probably want to replace the clasp. The argument was it being "thin" material, "heat treated" steel, difficult to laser, etc... But for about $120 in shipping, they would send it to Rolex and back. So I gave the RSC in NY a call and sent them the pictures. The woman (Amanda?) called me back the next day and said that it would most likely be a replacement and I needed to send the whole watch to them by USPS. They would replace and return the watch by mail, but only insured for the MSRP. When I asked her what would would happen if the watch got lost, i.e. if they would sell me one at MSRP as replacement, we both had to laugh. She insisted, however, that they get the whole watch to NY.

As of today, I am therefore looking at a watch I don't wear because I lost a little bit of enthusiasm for it and the option to send it off to NY either for $120 through my AD or directly, but returning it underinsured, to have it evaluated. The risk being that they will want to exchange it for $1,450 + tax as they already indicated to me by phone. A friend of mine contacted "his" AD and they will basically allow me to send them my clasp and in return send me a new one with a pretty decent discount and no tax.

That's why I am at the point of rather getting a "fresh start" for my Daytona, rather than rescuing the old clasp.

I hope this makes some sense.

Old 28 September 2019, 03:22 AM   #15
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Exactly! That "little" bit of damage is fully fixable with a tiny bit of laser welding and an little refinish by Rolliworks, for perhaps a few hundred versus $1400 odd dollars for a new one. Is your son a young child? Because this could very easily happen again if you are complacent. And very costly $$$
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 03:24 AM   #16
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ok, well, let me try to explain the whole story. I purchased the watch about 15 months ago privately. It was used and had a nick in the flank, as well as some wear on the bracelet, especially the clasp and the flip safety. I agreed with the seller that the watch would go to Rolex for repair, and he would cover the cost (which he did).

Rolex managed to laser the flank and the watch looked like new. The flip safety, however, lost quite a bit of material, but they did the best they could. I'll post a picture in a minute. I was ok with the result.

So then my son managed to bend the clasp the wrong way, which brings us to my initial post. I showed the clasp to two ADs and both indicated that Rolex would probably want to replace the clasp. The argument was it being "thin" material, "heat treated" steel, difficult to laser, etc... But for about $120 in shipping, they would send it to Rolex and back. So I gave the RSC in NY a call and sent them the pictures. The woman (Amanda?) called me back the next day and said that it would most likely be a replacement and I needed to send the whole watch to them by USPS. They would replace and return the watch by mail, but only insured for the MSRP. When I asked her what would would happen if the watch got lost, i.e. if they would sell me one at MSRP as replacement, we both had to laugh. She insisted, however, that they get the whole watch to NY.

As of today, I am therefore looking at a watch I don't wear because I lost a little bit of enthusiasm for it and the option to send it off to NY either for $120 through my AD or directly, but returning it underinsured, to have it evaluated. The risk being that they will want to exchange it for $1,450 + tax as they already indicated to me by phone. A friend of mine contacted "his" AD and they will basically allow me to send them my clasp and in return send me a new one with a pretty decent discount and no tax.

That's why I am at the point of rather getting a "fresh start" for my Daytona, rather than rescuing the old clasp.

I hope this makes some sense.

That is also easily fixable at Rolliworks and will look brand new and perfect when done. I still don’t understand??
Old 28 September 2019, 03:51 AM   #17
Bigblu10
Banned

So how much is a new clasp with discount? Because for about 2K you should be able to source a brand new whole bracelet. How do you really know your friends AD is going to do right by you? This is what I consider insanity.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 04:22 AM   #18
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Pretty sure I have an entire clasp sitting around. Same clasp as the GMT if I remember. Stand by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 04:23 AM   #19
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Old 28 September 2019, 04:42 AM   #20
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Old 28 September 2019, 04:43 AM   #21
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Different codes I believe but same clasp (correct if I’m wrong).

Old 28 September 2019, 06:27 AM   #22
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
So how much is a new clasp with discount? Because for about 2K you should be able to source a brand new whole bracelet. How do you really know your friends AD is going to do right by you? This is what I consider insanity.
The clasp would be $1075, but I am not really sure what you mean by "knowing if the AD will right by you". This is an AD with invoice and everything, so I am not sure what could go wrong. Maybe I misunderstood your comment.

And if you show me where I can get a complete bracelet for 2k and keep my old one, I would be extraordinarily grateful. That would be better than a clasp exchange for 1k, I agree.

I sincerely appreciate your input.

Chris
Old 28 September 2019, 06:29 AM   #23
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatExplorer View Post
Different codes I believe but same clasp (correct if I’m wrong).

Seriously? Same clasp? That would certainly help!

Which "codes" are you referring to, the part reference number?

Sorry, I am not an expert on modern day clasps.

:D
Old 28 September 2019, 06:48 AM   #24
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

OK - so I tried to get clarity on this:

Daytona 116500LN has bracelet 78590 with Oysterlock clasp.
GMT II 116710LN/BLNR have bracelet 78200 with Oysterlock clasp.

Are you saying that the Daytona 116500LN has a regular Oysterlock clasp on its 78590 bracelet, like the "old" GMT 116710LN or 116710BLNR had on their 78200 bracelet?

Please clarify for me.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 28 September 2019, 07:37 AM   #25
JodyHighroller
Banned

OP - I know exactly where you’re coming from. I’m a stickler as well when it comes to fine details, but you have to remember that anytime you send a watch in, it may subjected to further accidental damage regardless if it’s an RSC or AD. You want to avoid opening or working on a watch as little as possible.

I had a minuscule ding on one of my watches, so I swung by the Dallas RSC to replace the part in question (cost wasn’t an issue). I spoke with my usual lady and she had her watchmaker review it. They both recommended not to touch it as they’re worried it may come back worse or with further damage elsewhere. (She knows my expectations and attention to detail). The watchmaker literally said, “we’re professionals, but that doesn’t mean we don’t make mistakes”. The area in question was so minor that they needed to use a loupe to see it, and most folks wouldn’t even be able to tell unless you specially pointed it out to them. Pretty much, they wanted me to avoid going down the rabbit hole, and recommended to wait till service time as the entire watch will already be apart. I appreciated them being upfront and setting expectations accordingly.

Just wanted to give you some perspective as I would hate for other areas on your watch to get damaged. I always ask myself, is it worth repairing/replacing the part in question and risking further damage? In this case, if you do decide to go through with correcting this, I’d opt for a replacement clasp being your current one has been polished. You probably won’t be happy with the repair results being these are very small areas.

At the end of the day, it’s your watch and you have to do what makes YOU happy. If that means replacing a part then do it and not let an stranger on the internet tell you otherwise. But you have to remember where to draw the line to avoid going down the slippery slope and taking your enjoyment away. Hope this helps!
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 07:57 AM   #26
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Now this may not work given all the conversations you’ve had with your AD about the situation, but here’s an idea a friend of mine has done.

Rolex will take your old clasp when you send the watch in. However, if you remove the old clasp and send the watch in, they will simply replace the lost part. I think there was a price difference of a couple hundred dollars, but I cannot recall

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 08:42 AM   #27
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you saying that the Daytona 116500LN has a regular Oysterlock clasp on its 78590 bracelet, like the "old" GMT 116710LN or 116710BLNR had on their 78200 bracelet?

Please clarify for me.

Thanks,
Chris

Yes this is correct, the measurements inside where the link would connect is the exact same. The clasp length and width are also the same. The issue would come in when the watch would be returned to RSC for service they would probably notice it’s not a Daytona clasp and charge you for the correct part, so before service you would need to swap the Daytona one back.

But from a use perspective they are identical, both looks and function.

Hope this helps.

Old 28 September 2019, 08:58 AM   #28
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Please clarify for me.

Thanks,
Chris

They both have an Oysterlock Easylink clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 09:07 AM   #29
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatExplorer View Post
Yes this is correct, the measurements inside where the link would connect is the exact same. The clasp length and width are also the same. The issue would come in when the watch would be returned to RSC for service they would probably notice it’s not a Daytona clasp and charge you for the correct part, so before service you would need to swap the Daytona one back.

But from a use perspective they are identical, both looks and function.

Hope this helps.

There really isn’t a “Daytona clasp” per se. As you correctly stated the Oysterclasp Easylink used on the 78200 & 78590 are identical.

The RSC might know the random clasp code had been originally attached to one bracelet type or the other. But with an AD doing clasp work, there will always be the chance a replacement clasp doesn’t get associated in the Rolex database.

It’s ancillary to the point of spending $1000+ for a cosmetic flaw inflicted by accidental misuse. The repair cost should be far less and would be customary in any other category of jewelry. Plus it’d be impossible to see.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 09:34 AM   #30
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
There really isn’t a “Daytona clasp” per se. As you correctly stated the Oysterclasp Easylink used on the 78200 & 78590 are identical.

The RSC might know the random clasp code had been originally attached to one bracelet type or the other. But with an AD doing clasp work, there will always be the chance a replacement clasp doesn’t get associated in the Rolex database.

It’s ancillary to the point of spending $1000+ for a cosmetic flaw inflicted by accidental misuse. The repair cost should be far less and would be customary in any other category of jewelry. Plus it’d be impossible to see.

Yes that’s what I was attempting to say lol. They COULD possibly know that the clasp was changed but would be doubtful. I bought a used GMT bracelet but ended up putting on a Rubber B due to the bracelet itself being much worse than photo showed. Anyways clasp is used but locks tight no rattle and with a good polish and brushing it would be great.