The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Remember your first scratch?

About six months ago I was on the phone with a buddy and telling him about it. I had only had the watch a couple weeks. I wasn’t overly distressed about it, but I did question if I should fix it. He advised, “when it is time for a service, they can polish it and make it like new again”.

Today I couldn’t care less about the scratches, but I do wonder what the impact would be to clean it up in the current condition.

I’m glad I let that first one go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 09:17 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
A well worn watch is a well loved watch. At least that’s the train of thought I prescribe to. Glad you are enjoying your watch OP.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:06 AM   #3
djgallo
Banned

My guesstimate about $200-$300 to refinish the watch and bracelet.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:33 AM   #4
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
A Rolex has 2 or 3 professional polishes in it over it's lifetime IMO. After that too much material is taken off and corners begin to round. Preferably 1 or 2, so I would use them sparingly. Yours certainly needs it's first polish, done by RSC.

Better idea is to take care of your watches better. Many can say 'good for you, wear that bad boy' but most of use wear them AND take care of them.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:34 AM   #5
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Today I could care less. My first Rolex was a submariner and I put a nice size ding on a lug after only a few days ownership. I was mortified and immediately took it to the watchmaker at my Rolex AD. He was amazing, afterwards it looked new.
Old 14 September 2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Neo_Anderson302
"TRF" Member

My mother in law just chip a piece off my crystal. I was upset but my wife reminded me its just a watch.
Neo_Anderson302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:00 AM   #7
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Can we get a shot of your watch from a normal distance? Are the scratches noticeable if you aren’t closely inspecting for them?
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:01 AM   #8
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

When I first got my BLNR I always thought I would get it polished at the first service, now after 3 years in rotation I wouldn’t polish anything! I love it the way it is
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:26 AM   #9
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I scratched the clasp on my DJ41 within 30minutes of wearing to work the first time.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Honestly can’t remember my first scratch. I’ve had my SubC almost 10 years and has been pretty much my daily watch. It’s got lots of scratches but they are my scratches. I wish I had wonderful stories of how they happened but mostly it was just life — a bump here and there. My watch has been a faithful companion and it resembles me — older and a bit worn.

It’s true what they say about owning something vs. having it own you. Enjoy your watch and your journey.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:19 PM   #11
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Yours certainly needs it's first polish, done by RSC.

Better idea is to take care of your watches better. Many can say 'good for you, wear that bad boy' but most of use wear them AND take care of them.

Thanks. I’m not so sure it ‘needs’ a polish though. Why would it need a polish? Isn’t it just a cosmetic aesthetic? My point of posting was just to show that a well worn watch will look well worn. If you wear it, it will get scratched, unless of course you are constantly guarding it and avoiding any opportunity to contact anything. I’m far more concerned with accuracy and reliability than the next scratch I see.

It is all a matter of opinion, and the only opinion that matters is yours to you and mine to me.

I certainly will not be getting it polished any time soon.

Old 14 September 2019, 12:23 PM   #12
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I’ve never really worried much about the small surface scratches my watches tend to accumulate. When I eventually send it in for servicing I may have Rolex polish it up but until then there is no point as I’ll only end up getting more in the same place I just polished.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:25 PM   #13
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
Can we get a shot of your watch from a normal distance? Are the scratches noticeable if you aren’t closely inspecting for them?

What normal distance? Arm moving?

I’m not concerned with that at all. The sapphire, dial, hands and movement are pretty well protected, even from my gorilla behavior.

It’s hard to imagine anyone recognizing scratches unless maybe sitting across a table at a meeting or a meal.

Old 14 September 2019, 12:29 PM   #14
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Scratches show up quite quickly, especially hairlines. I don't think I've ever had a watch no matter how careful didn't get something in the first few days. PCLs scratch just breathing on them, so that's just a given. Anyway, I wouldn't polish it. Either take care of it or keep it as is, the more patina the better on some watches especially tool watches. I personally can't stand a polished watch, even 1 polish.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:41 PM   #15
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
A Rolex has 2 or 3 professional polishes in it over it's lifetime IMO. After that too much material is taken off and corners begin to round. Preferably 1 or 2, so I would use them sparingly. Yours certainly needs it's first polish, done by RSC.

I agree. Still best to have a little neat and tidy mindset towards it so you can skip the professional polish as much as possible. I have a 27 yo Sub that still does not need a polish

I like the time worn “aged” look, not the beaten up look.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:56 PM   #16
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
There is nothing “wrong” with either mindset. The majority of us in the no polishing camp are simply aware of the futility of polishing, only for the watch to incur more scratches that will need more polishing. Instead we choose to let our watches age gracefully. In essence, to develop character alongside our life experiences. We don’t necessarily see them as mere scratches, dings, dents, and gashes as others would. Instead, we are reminded of the passage of time and both the good and bad instances that have passed in fleeting moments where we stop to admire our watches.

It all begins with the first scratch.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:58 PM   #17
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
What normal distance? Arm moving?

I’m not concerned with that at all. The sapphire, dial, hands and movement are pretty well protected, even from my gorilla behavior.

It’s hard to imagine anyone recognizing scratches unless maybe sitting across a table at a meeting or a meal.

Perhaps he meant from arm’s length, or from how far away you are if we were having a meal or drink together. My guess is the scratches won’t be much visible, if at all.
Old 14 September 2019, 01:06 PM   #18
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My watches only have a few small scratches except for the clasps which I absolutely destroy desk diving. Took me a while to get over it but now I love the "slightly" worn look of them, makes me feel like they have been loved.
Old 14 September 2019, 01:06 PM   #19
Muxi
"TRF" Member

The beat it up mindset is more liberating though in that you will not even check the watch if you bang it somewhere. I have a friend who repeatedly rubbed his watch over a door jamb just to demonstrate where most of scratches come from. Most of his watches are quite beat up and he does not care.

I also admire some people for that.
Old 14 September 2019, 01:19 PM   #20
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
The beat it up mindset is more liberating though in that you will not even check the watch if you bang it somewhere. I have a friend who repeatedly rubbed his watch over a door jamb just to demonstrate where most of scratches come from. Most of his watches are quite beat up and he does not care.

quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:48 PM   #21
TreiseKL
"TRF" Member

Yeah that bezel and PCL are complete scratch magnets
Old 14 September 2019, 03:04 PM   #22
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Damn we talk a lot about scratches on this Forum. As in, all the time.

You could interchange the responses from thread to thread with the same remarks over and over and over and over...a bit maddening.

Of course, I could always adjust my Zoloft dosage strength.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 03:28 PM   #23
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post

There are better things in life to admire.

That being said, natural scratches are one thing but going out of your way to prove a point by purposely damaging your watch is stupid.

GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote