The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 September 2019, 03:28 AM   #31
nwbusa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
Geez, The OP wants to know how to store them. Not weather you think he should wear them or not. They are HIS watches. He can do as he wants with them. You have no idea of his life experiences and motives and even if you did your "just wear them. Life is short etc." answers are as relevant as telling him the color of you car. His question is how to store them nothing more.
Agreed. Lots of unsolicited, irrelevant opinions being offered to the OP.
nwbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 05:50 AM   #32
MARGARITATIME
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lv, 116710BL
On your wrist..sorry couldnt resist
MARGARITATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 06:00 AM   #33
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
They don't need to be wound or serviced.
As for storing, if you have ample space, you can keep in their presentation boxes together with tags, booklets, and papers. If storage volume is an issue, you can invest a few hundred bucks in a nice storage box and put that in the safe, and keep the papers close. The presentation boxes and booklets you can keep separately, out of the safe.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 06:26 AM   #34
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Well... I've been in the museum biz most of my life (Photo/video/media/music) but still the business and what you are calling storage is really conservation. Long term storage without damage or degradation. Generally speaking you want to keep temperature and humidity constant and best is around 50% humidity and 20C/70F. What you want to avoid is big swings in temperature which can cause condensation and moisture. And you don't want it too dry or it can desiccate the paper and potentially dry out the seals on the watch.

I would store dissimilar products separately since they can react with one another over time. I would be hesitant about leaving stickers on for very long term. You want a little air circulation in the storage space but that can be as simple as opening the door once in awhile. Plastic is not a great medium for long term storage especially where moisture might be an issue. They make special bags/boxes for storing metal and paper things if you are interested. Google "Archival Storage supplies".
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:01 AM   #35
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Sell them. Let someone who will enjoy it wear it on their wrist. This is silliness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:25 AM   #36
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Wear your watches, treat them with respect and give them tic when required, don't leave them in the dark.

If you don't want to wear them pass them to me and I'll wear them for you.

Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 09:15 AM   #37
abrush32
2024 Pledge Member

Buy some gold bullion and release the watches to those who will actually enjoy them.
abrush32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 09:20 AM   #38
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrush32 View Post
Buy some gold bullion and release the watches to those who will actually enjoy them.

Agreed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 03:28 PM   #39
crown&badger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Well... I've been in the museum biz most of my life (Photo/video/media/music) but still the business and what you are calling storage is really conservation. Long term storage without damage or degradation. Generally speaking you want to keep temperature and humidity constant and best is around 50% humidity and 20C/70F. What you want to avoid is big swings in temperature which can cause condensation and moisture. And you don't want it too dry or it can desiccate the paper and potentially dry out the seals on the watch.

I would store dissimilar products separately since they can react with one another over time. I would be hesitant about leaving stickers on for very long term. You want a little air circulation in the storage space but that can be as simple as opening the door once in awhile. Plastic is not a great medium for long term storage especially where moisture might be an issue. They make special bags/boxes for storing metal and paper things if you are interested. Google "Archival Storage supplies".
Now this is the post of the thread. Very informative.

I'm sure the OP s/he is aware that they could probably do better investing in the share market instead & doesn't need us to tell them that. Maybe he knows something we don't?
crown&badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:36 PM   #40
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

wrist.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:17 AM   #41
djgallo
Banned

Storing watch(s) in a bank storage deposit box works well as the bank will be climate controlled. The paper work/boxes etc. Can be stored in the house, hopefully the house will be also climate controlled for the most part. Good luck.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:22 AM   #42
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Geez, The OP wants to know how to store them. Not weather you think he should wear them or not. They are HIS watches. He can do as he wants with them. You have no idea of his life experiences and motives and even if you did your "just wear them. Life is short etc." answers are as relevant as telling him the color of you car. His question is how to store them nothing more.
OP could have asked the question w/o the clarifying details. How do i store my watch for an extended period? end of question

the fact the question implied many watches (which is irrelevant if its 1 or 100), the fact they have never been worn (irrelevant), and for some unknown speculative purpose (maybe), and you get the responses.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:24 AM   #43
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
https://www.amazon.com/Sack-Ups-Valu...BP7TZ6N2094RY8

then inside your humidity controlled safe.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:30 AM   #44
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Finally - thank you. Jesus.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:37 PM   #45
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
This is great info. So, if one were to buy a new watch and put it away for an extended period of time, is the best course of action then to just leave it be (with understanding that it will eventually need a service)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthe View Post
Appreciate your input.

What would you recommend as the best practice maintenance procedures to ensure one doesn’t ruin such timepieces? (Monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly)

I am assuming that you are recommending a service at the 10 year point as a minimum - worn or unworn?
Thanks. My advice for long term storage would be to leave it as is and deal with the issue/non issue of performance and service once you bring it out of storage. It will need a service eventually anyway and it could be straight away or might last a couple of years. In the eyes of any watchmaker you take it too, it’s a 10 year old watch so no performance could be guaranteed without it being serviced anyway.

So to summarise. If you plan on locking a watch away, make sure it’s in a suitable environment for storage, and just leave it alone. It would be advisable to visually inspect it annually to ensure there is no moisture damage for, humidity, but that’s the only thing you really need to concern yourself with until it comes out of stasis.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote