The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 September 2019, 03:07 AM   #1
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Time to buy a Tux

Well Hell....

Now that I am retired and can burn my suits, I actually need to buy a tux to attend the charity events and galas we keep getting invited to 2-3 times a year. I have been getting by with a black Hugo Boss suit but an event next month is black tie required.

For those that have bought, please advise on the following...

1. Black or Midnight Blue? I am comfortable pulling off the blue but not sure wether it is best to blend in rather than stand apart at such events.

2. Peak or shawl collar? Leaning heavily towards peak.

3. What type of tie? Pre-tied bow tie or not? Also seeing many wearing skinny silk solid colors with a tux.

4. Cap Toe or plain toe Shoes? I refuse to wear patent. My only black shoes are split toed derbys that are not appropriate. My choices are: (1) a plain toed derby that could be worn more frequently, (2) plain toe whole cut oxford that would be worn only with tux, or (3) cap toe oxford.

Thanks for all opinions.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 03:19 AM   #2
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Well Hell....

Now that I am retired and can burn my suits, I actually need to buy a tux to attend the charity events and galas we keep getting invited to 2-3 times a year. I have been getting by with a black Hugo Boss suit but an event next month is black tie required.

1. Black or Midnight Blue? I am comfortable pulling off the blue but not sure wether it is best to blend in rather than stand apart at such events.

3. What type of tie? Pre-tied bow tie or not? Also seeing many wearing skinny silk solid colors with a tux.

4. Cap Toe or plain toe Shoes? I refuse to wear patent. My only black shoes are split toed derbys that are not appropriate. My choices are: (1) a plain toed derby that could be worn more frequently, (2) plain toe whole cut oxford that would be worn only with tux, or (3) cap toe oxford.

Thanks for all opinions.
Can't help you on tux specifics, other than stick to black, but don't forget this is also a reason to buy an amazing dress watch to wear with the new outfit!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 03:19 AM   #3
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I have two tux’s one short coat and one with tails. Both black, both peak lapel, pre tied bow ties and regular black leather shoes.
I also have a heavy long wool overcoat with matching gloves and scarf. If you’re going to be wearing a tux to an event in cold weather this is another item to consider purchasing.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 03:23 AM   #4
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
I have two tux’s one short coat and one with tails. Both black, both peak lapel, pre tied bow ties and regular black leather shoes.
I also have a heavy long wool overcoat with matching gloves and scarf. If you’re going to be wearing a tux to an event in cold weather this is another item to consider purchasing.
I knew Tim is a gentleman. Tails! My man
Old 23 September 2019, 03:24 AM   #5
Dr. Robert

Black tuxedo
Old 23 September 2019, 03:32 AM   #6
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

IMHO the key to pulling off the right look in a tux is making it look elegant and effortless. You appear to know yourself pretty well and what you’re comfortable with, so go with your gut on what’s right for you. That said:
1) Black. Classic
2) Peak. Classic. Shawl style trends come and go.
3) Pre-tied bow is acceptable only if you’re lousy at tying the real thing. But the real thing is always better. The tie is where you can go a little crazy if you feel like it. Add a splash of color if you want (within your comfort zone). If you feel awkward, you’re bound to look it.
4) Patent leather isn’t necessary. Go with a quality black shoe. Cap toes always look better if you have larger feet. Most important is maintaining a good shine.

What’s your watch choice with such formal attire?
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 03:45 AM   #7
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I would ask Austin/Hauck clothiers in Littleton. They can set you up with something that will look great for years.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 03:47 AM   #8
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Imo pre tied bow ties don’t look as good, it’s not difficult to learn how to tie a real one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 03:48 AM   #9
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Time to buy a Tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Well Hell....

Thanks for all opinions.

I’m retired military, and attend a number of black tie functions during the year. Getting a tux is a great step up from trying to dress up a business suit with a white shirt and a bow tie.

I’d go black personally. If you decide to get a second, you could go to the midnight blue, or get a second jacket with the midnight blue accents.

100% Peak Collar. Timeless look. Shawl collar could be on your vest in case the night gets crazy and the jacket comes off.

Get a tieable bow tie. Pre tied kinda look cheap and a bit too perfect IMO, and as a bonus with a tieable bow tie, at the end of the night you can go with the untied look like James Bond.

Cap toe black oxford hands down. No broguing either. Allen Edmonds makes a great cap toe oxford. I think its their Park Avenue line. I like a polishable shoe myself. You can wear them with other attire if need be, whereas the patent leather looks a bit cheesy and fake, and can only be worn with a tux.

Don’t forget some shirts. I prefer the flat front over the pleated with pointed collar, for a formal, but not quite a full on groom look.

Good luck!
Old 23 September 2019, 03:51 AM   #10
Dr. Robert

I bought an inexpensive Ralph Lauren tux at Macy’s, luckily I have a good alterations tailor, got cummerbund & pre-tied bow tie (hopeless at tying bow ties) kit also from Macy’s
Spent money on a shirt, got one from Gitman Bros.
I have my fathers studs & cuff links.
Plain black lace ups, Alden.
A good tailor can make any suit look good, my cronies think my outfit is expensive.
Old 23 September 2019, 03:53 AM   #11
Dr. Robert

And I wear my fathers YG datejust from early 1960s, it is on a black Rolex Java lizard strap, gold Rolex buckle.
Old 23 September 2019, 03:54 AM   #12
Tools

Watch: GMT's
1) Black, in some lighting, Navy will make you look very neon.

2) Peak lapels are more formal, and traditional. Shawl lapel is common in the 1 button variety, but still looks like waiter attire.

3) Learn to tie a bow-tie, everybody will know and it makes for interesting conversation.

4) Patent leather is for uniforms, not formal wear. Traditional formal footwear is satin (that matches the lapel), but good shoes properly brushed so they don't steal the show are fine.
Old 23 September 2019, 04:11 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Buy the shoes, bow ties, cufflinks to keep it personalized -- and rent the actual tuxes.

Styles change and differ for the occasion and if you're donating your time as a charitable professional contribution, you can possibly claim the rentals, and it feels good to get someone else to bag, store, adjust and wash.

And IF you like the tux, you can buy it.

Many people do this. People you think wouldn't think of it.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 04:24 AM   #14
cop414

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I knew Tim is a gentleman. Tails! My man
Cheers Doc

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 05:01 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

I like the shawl collar, midnight blue. Always a tieable bowtie and I would wear bespoke velvet slippers with an edgy gold embroidery.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 05:19 AM   #16
swils8610

Black, peak, tie is chefs choice, black shell cordovan shoes with a high polish. I currently cap toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 08:40 AM   #17
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Black, peak, learn how to tie a bow tie (have some fun with the colors/patterns at events where appropriate), cap toe is what I wear.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 08:55 AM   #18
M45
Banned

Black
Peak
Learn to tie your own bow tie
Wear whatever shoes are most comfy

2-3x a year seems infrequent enough to buy one, especially how they're prone to shrinking...
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 09:02 AM   #19
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
My oldest son got married 3 weeks ago. I wore my Jos Bank tux that I’ve had for about 4 years. My tux came with pleated pants, a look that is now a little dated, but I made do.
The groomsmen all rented tuxedos from Men’s Warehouse for about $300. Joe Bank, a sister company to Men’s W, had tuxedos on sale for $250. Makes sense at that price to own.
I vote for a real bow tie. They don’t need to be perfectly tied. Actually, that’s part of their charm, they’re not perfect. But the best part of a real bow tie, IMHO, is at the end of the night when you untie it and open your collar. I like that look.
Here’s a pic of my partner, Nancy, my youngest son (best man to his brother) and me towards to end of the evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 718B21BC-4AC2-4A1C-BFD8-09F3F9E20C4B.jpeg (65.1 KB, 147 views)
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 09:03 AM   #20
swils8610

No blue....

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 09:41 AM   #21
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for all of the advice gents!

I went shopping today and tried everything from a cheaper Calvin Klein at Macy’s, a decent mid-range option at Bonobos and two nice ones at Brooks Brothers and Hugo Boss.

I ended up with a black, peaked lapel from Brooks Brothers. It came in a 41 regular with a 35” pant which was spot on. Everything else would have had to have been seriously altered. It is a bit more generous than the more modern fit from Boss (whose suits I usually wear) but a nicer fabric, made in USA and on sale for 30% off today.

After that I stopped by Allen Edmonds and talked with my favorite salesman who found a clearance tuxedo loafer on their online clearance for $150. Its black patent (which I abhor) but should look good with the tux. Glad to get some nice deals since I will be wearing them only a few times each year.

I have gone with an untied bow tie and am now off to look at how to tie them on YouTube.

As far as the watch, Bond got away with a Sub, so shall I.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 23 September 2019, 10:10 AM   #22
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Black tux
Peak lapel
Cap toe
Spread collar shirt
Vest instead of cummerbund.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 11:03 AM   #23
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

The Joseph Banks or B Squared Tux is always an excellent choice
Brooks Brothers is a particular favorite

Paired with a Bespoke formal shirt
Hand tied bow tie
Gold studs. Gold cuff links
Vintage gold watch on a strap
Stubbs & Wooten velvet slippers

You’re good for any event.
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 11:05 AM   #24
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
A good tailor can make any suit look good, my cronies think my outfit is expensive.
This exactly. It can't be stressed enough.

If you buy off the rack and think that it fits perfectly, it really doesn't. Everyone needs their tux fitted to them just right in order to look the best. You'll be amazed at how much better it looks.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 12:06 PM   #25
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Stick with black and a classic cut. Then you can use it for years and will not go out of style.

And get the patent leather shoes, they are a must, regular leather dress shoes look terrible and out of place with a tuxedo.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 12:17 PM   #26
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
This exactly. It can't be stressed enough.

If you buy off the rack and think that it fits perfectly, it really doesn't. Everyone needs their tux fitted to them just right in order to look the best. You'll be amazed at how much better it looks.
Agreed 100%. It was nice to find a outfit that was already 90% there. My problem is that I am an avid cyclist so nearly every 'Modern" or "Slim" fit I tried had pants too tight or the jacket too big. All they have to do on this jacket is raise the jacket button and adjust the rear vent. Pants only need hemming.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 23 September 2019, 12:18 PM   #27
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Stick with black and a classic cut. Then you can use it for years and will not go out of style.

And get the patent leather shoes, they are a must, regular leather dress shoes look terrible and out of place with a tuxedo.
That was a tough one to swallow but you are right, every pair of plain leather just looked a bit off.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 23 September 2019, 01:34 PM   #28
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Tom ford or Brioni. Black or navy blue. One of each if you attend alot of events and want to change it up. Black bowties. Def polished shoes, non polished a no no with a tux.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 08:34 PM   #29
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Black mohair. The ultimate in timeless formal attire. Peak fits all occasions. Find a great tailer and have one made for you. You want it to fit perfectly. Plus, a well made tux will last forever.

Skip the bowtie.

Always black cap toe oxfords. The cap should be a mirror shine.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #30
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Black mohair. The ultimate in timeless formal attire. Peak fits all occasions. Find a great tailer and have one made for you. You want it to fit perfectly. Plus, a well made tux will last forever.

Skip the bowtie.

Always black cap toe oxfords. The cap should be a mirror shine.
I have a great tailor and would have considered this but this event snuck up on us. What have you spent on a custom suit or tux from a US tailor? My local guy starts at $2,000 and the sky is the limit.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD