The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2017, 01:07 PM   #31
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Singer Porsches are amazing. Sell the watch! Get the car!!
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 02:52 PM   #32
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwitch View Post
Don't waste money on cars.
Yeah...total "waste". In 2002 I bought a '63 Split-window Vette for $30K. Drove it almost every day for 5 yrs, put about $10K into it, then sold it for $68K. The car today would be over $100K.

What really pisses me off is I wasn't into 1st gen long-hood 911's back then, but I remember I could have bought a '73 911RS for around $65K. I remember thinking, "No way, not worth it!" People that know, know that RS was fetching 7-figures a few yrs ago...they've dropped some lately so a decent one could be had today for a measly $800-900K. Yeah, total waste of $$$...more like a wasted opportunity for yours truly!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 02:59 PM   #33
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Well......having owned 25 +/- Porsches in my life and having sold over 1,000 of them since 1989, all I can say is you can do what Singer did for $150K-200K, including the cost of a good bodyshell from a donor car.

Been there, and did it myself for a client back in 2008.
I agree. My G50 '87 coupe is getting the treatment as I type by famous John Esposito in North Hollywood. My backdate is going to look amazing (albeit I'm definitely NOT going the Singer leather-lined engine bay treatment), nor carbon fiber...all steel on my 911..but I'm doing it for a fraction of the cost. I tell my buddies it's my "Poor Man's Singer" and I can't wait for it to finish. Even got the CA black/yellow plates saying 'BKDATED' to finish her off.
Old 1 April 2017, 03:07 PM   #34
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
What I'm trying to wrap my head around is why you have a half million to blow on an old car....don't care how badass it is...but you have to sell the watch to fund the rest of it...which I'm sure you don't ...and the 40mm Sea Dweller....WILL ALWAYS be ....the classic standard size that Rolex adheres to....Save your cash...or go with what the Doc advised....and yes, I'm a car guy too...
Seriously guys, it's a joke. Why are people so serious around this forum nowadays? I haven't been around regularly for about 3-4 years...wow has this place gotten serious! Next thing I'm going to find out TRF has sponsored "safe zones" theads for all the millennials to hang out in and I'm going to start scratching my head about which bathroom my watch is suppose to use.
Old 1 April 2017, 03:45 PM   #35
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Quote:
Don't waste money on cars.
gotta agree... why have more than 2 wheels?

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 03:54 PM   #36
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
I say, keep the watch, ditch the wife, buy the car and use it to pick up a couple 25yr olds!! Lol

To know the future is to be trapped by it
20 for me
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 05:30 PM   #37
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Sell DSSD... sell Wife.... buy Singer and a G-Shock(still need a watch)
You will find if the car is used correctly you should be able to yield a couple of low cost 25 year olds

***make note this advice is coming from a guy who has not driven a car in 14 months(its in storage in australia) so id be wanting to drive anything right about now!!!***
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 06:41 PM   #38
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
SINGER is IMHO, the perfect Porsche - a great blend of past and present....do the flip about 45 times and you've got your car!
Old 1 April 2017, 06:43 PM   #39
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I agree. My G50 '87 coupe is getting the treatment as I type by famous John Esposito in North Hollywood. My backdate is going to look amazing (albeit I'm definitely NOT going the Singer leather-lined engine bay treatment), nor carbon fiber...all steel on my 911..but I'm doing it for a fraction of the cost. I tell my buddies it's my "Poor Man's Singer" and I can't wait for it to finish. Even got the CA black/yellow plates saying 'BKDATED' to finish her off.
Please post pics once your car is complete mate!
Old 1 April 2017, 08:50 PM   #40
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I like having a nice car but enjoy a nice watch even more.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 10:57 PM   #41
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Classic cars,,,,would never be without my front engined porsche,,,
Tauben blue even matches my dj2 blue dial lol,,,
keep the watch and buy an RS 72 rep or a 993 c4s and watch your investment grow,,
i walked away from an E type coupe in 81 ,,thought 6k was too much! doh!
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 12:09 AM   #42
dennywags
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I would spend my money at Ruf over Singer. The Ruf is born and bred on the autobahn. The Singer is the offspring of a 964 and an Hermes Birkin handbag.
dennywags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 12:18 AM   #43
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Gardener View Post
Like really awkward. Like that time she asked me about a large bar tab on my credit card at a place called Baby Dolls (It was a "work thing" honey).

F YEAH BABY DOLLS.

Also, do et.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 12:18 AM   #44
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Seriously guys, it's a joke. Why are people so serious around this forum nowadays? I haven't been around regularly for about 3-4 years...wow has this place gotten serious! Next thing I'm going to find out TRF has sponsored "safe zones" theads for all the millennials to hang out in and I'm going to start scratching my head about which bathroom my watch is suppose to use.
It is pretty amazing on this forum how many times obvious jokes go over people's heads...
Old 2 April 2017, 01:37 AM   #45
TJModz
"TRF" Member

Keep the watch, buy a Z06 and invest the remaining $400k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0449.jpg (107.0 KB, 142 views)
TJModz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 01:48 AM   #46
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Love Porsche. I know it's not a 911 but I grew up wanting a Cayman since they were introduced in 2005 (I think?)
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 01:57 AM   #47
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I mean, a rolex does look pretty good in a Singer...

But yeah, it's honestly the most amazing car, EVER and it's changed my car buying for life I'm sure. The attention to detail is like no other, the drive characteristics are simply put, perfect...and it's incredibly unique without screaming what it is. I've also got to say the guys at Singer are the most incredible stewards of the brand ever and their hospitality post ownership is something out of a dream, as no other company does what they are willing to do...

sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 04:04 AM   #48
Power Play
"TRF" Member

DSSD for Singer?

Rlly?

I'd trade all of my watches + Porsche 911 twin turbo + kidney for a Singer. Any Singer.

An almost incomprehensible blend of mechanical and esthetic excellence, Singer is really in a league of its own.

Just MHO.

Power Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 05:40 AM   #49
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
A souped up VW Beetle or a pedigree watch...?

No contest.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 05:42 AM   #50
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Avoid the AP sub forum like the plague!!

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 05:48 AM   #51
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
My vote is for Singer on NATO.. Magnus is an awesome guy he's always around Old Town Pasadena and BOMBING Angeles Crest in some real badddddies. Great IG page, too.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 06:26 AM   #52
Magwitch
Banned

Quote:
Yeah...total "waste". In 2002 I bought a '63 Split-window Vette for $30K. Drove it almost every day for 5 yrs, put about $10K into it, then sold it for $68K. The car today would be over $100K.

What really pisses me off is I wasn't into 1st gen long-hood 911's back then, but I remember I could have bought a '73 911RS for around $65K. I remember thinking, "No way, not worth it!" People that know, know that RS was fetching 7-figures a few yrs ago...they've dropped some lately so a decent one could be had today for a measly $800-900K. Yeah, total waste of $$$...more like a wasted opportunity for yours truly!
Just greed and avarice what's the point? Mr Scrooge in person.

And re: cars, would you buy and drive them if every km of road were monitored? No, you want them to drive with gay abandon, endangering yourself and others, violating traffic laws. Zoom zoom, my butt.

Just like the HP fancy arsed secret car club here with there stinking cars that sit 12" off the road, McLarens and the like. They get together in secret runs every month or so. A dozen of them got caught going 100 mph on a major Interstate in the city. Expensive lawyers got most of the off, even after felony fleeing.

HP cars? A danger to society for snooty people.

SO LONG to this miserable forum. My Rolex and my steering wheel, my Rolex and my electric toothbrush, my Rolex and my Single Malt. My Rolex and my fingernail clipper......

What a colossal waste of time.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 06:41 AM   #53
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And re: cars, would you buy and drive them if every km of road were monitored? No, you want them to drive with gay abandon, endangering yourself and others, violating traffic laws. Zoom zoom, my butt.

Just like the HP fancy arsed secret car club here with there stinking cars that sit 12" off the road, McLarens and the like. They get together in secret runs every month or so. A dozen of them got caught going 100 mph on a major Interstate in the city. Expensive lawyers got most of the off, even after felony fleeing.

SO LONG to this miserable forum. My Rolex and my steering wheel, my Rolex and my electric toothbrush, my Rolex and my Single Malt. My Rolex and my fingernail clipper......

good talk, thanks.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 07:15 AM   #54
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Yes! Yes! Yes!

You can pick up a watch anytime but Singers are as rare as hens teeth.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 07:37 AM   #55
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think you are on the wrong forum anyway. You need the one that discusses lentils and which none leather shoes are best.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 08:56 AM   #56
Angry-Gardener
"TRF" Member

Happy April 1, just wanted to make y'all smile with a little satire of our recent threads. Tongue firmly in cheek, of course!

This one's old, but mine - took decades to get here and worth the wait.

To paraphrase Magnus - Get out and drive (or ride, or pedal) - tastefully - and keep the rubber side down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Angry-Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 03:05 PM   #57
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
Well you have a singer. Didn't your DSSD Blue sing to you when you first put it on?
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2017, 07:03 PM   #58
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
good talk, thanks.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 05:19 AM   #59
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Holy crap...what dude w/ a nice car stole this guys girlfriend in HS?!?!

Dude...you've got to understand...the captain of the football team with the T-topped Firebird is ALWAYS going to steal your girlfriend because no chick thinks your flute or 10-speed bike was a manly way to spend your HS years. Yikes!
Old 3 April 2017, 06:02 AM   #60
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
Please post pics once your car is complete mate!
Not complete...but getting there. Finally going back together!

Time to cut a perfectly good G-body (perfectly good aside form those impact bumpers )