The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2017, 12:28 PM   #31
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Wind by hand

Easy to do on the morning that you intend to wear that watch. I sold all my wonders a few years ago and have never missed them for a minute.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 12:33 PM   #32
RastabanStar
"TRF" Member

I think the conventional wisdom from watchmakers is that winders are bad for your watch. I wear my watches for a week at a time, so I just set it once on Sunday night and wear it for the rest of the week.
RastabanStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 12:37 PM   #33
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastabanStar View Post
I think the conventional wisdom from watchmakers is that winders are bad for your watch. I wear my watches for a week at a time, so I just set it once on Sunday night and wear it for the rest of the week.
This is a pretty bold statement.

I'm sure you can (and have) found a watchmaker who, anecdotally, may have told you this but in the absence of some rock solid, data driven documentation, I think you are out of line to make such a broad sweeping, assertive statement.

Please show us your data.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 12:40 PM   #34
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
What about the constant use of the crown to wind the watch? Doing this say twice a week, does that not cause unneeded stress and wear, whereas if it was on a winder this action would be spared.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 12:46 PM   #35
RastabanStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
This is a pretty bold statement.

I'm sure you can (and have) found a watchmaker who, anecdotally, may have told you this but in the absence of some rock solid, data driven documentation, I think you are out of line to make such a broad sweeping, assertive statement.

Please show us your data.
LOL, out of line. Disclaimer for those who need it: All anonymous opinions found on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

Here's one watchmakers opinion.
RastabanStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 12:48 PM   #36
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post
Winding your watch is a bonding experience.
My thoughts eloquently stated!
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 12:55 PM   #37
Carrera997
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
I have automatics that I keep in a safe. No winder. Once every few weeks I pull them out and give them about 20 turns to wind and also run the date wheels through a cycle, or whatever complication it may have. I give the chronographs about 25 turns and start the timing function. What ever I decide to wear I will usually set it the night before or sometimes after I get to work.
Carrera997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 12:57 PM   #38
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastabanStar View Post
LOL, out of line. Disclaimer for those who need it: All anonymous opinions found on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

Here's one watchmakers opinion.
If you are saying your statement was out of line, I'm impressed, you are a gentleman. It's always nice to see someone with the presence and grace to say that........

If your comment relates to my statement, I have two words for you (and they are not "Happy Birthday.")

I do agree with the advice to take anonymous internet based information with a grain of salt. But this Forum is looked to by many as a trusted source of information. To say you choose not to use winders is fine. As evidenced by this thread, many do not look upon them with favor. To say you are suspicious of their potential to damage a watch is fine too. But to imply there is an abundance of evidence documenting it is out of line.

By the way, the video you offered up does not contain a shred of data or evidence. Nothing. It is a perfect example of something from the internet which should be taken with a grain of salt. Isn't it interesting though that the guys on the video, your experts, suggest taking the most expensive, complicated watches produced and putting them on a winder!!
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 01:04 PM   #39
Rol604
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Panerai
I had a 3 watch winder and never used it. It's ok to let the watch stop. Just wind it up when you decide to wear it again. For me it's part of the fun.
Rol604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 02:00 PM   #40
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

I don't know what you're routine is but if you're wearing the watches on a strict 3-day rotation then yes, I would use the winder if you don't like winding and setting your watch every morning.

However if your routine is anything other than this and you're always wearing one of the three, then you shouldn't need to wind your watch every day. For example, if you wake up, wind the sub, and wear it for a couple days you shouldn't need to wind it each of those days. Even if you go sub one day, OP the next, back to sub on the third, then you shouldn't need to wind your sub that morning...and then maybe you wear your DJ once in a while I dunno it all depends on your routine.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 02:30 PM   #41
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
You know, if winders are so goshdang necessary for the health of an automatic timepiece, then why don't Rolex ADs keep every single example in their shops on winders 24/7 (or at all)?
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 12:03 PM   #42
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
You know, if winders are so goshdang necessary for the health of an automatic timepiece, then why don't Rolex ADs keep every single example in their shops on winders 24/7 (or at all)?
This is a good point. Watches at dealers can sit there for a long time, especially some of the very pricey ones. And I am pretty sure that they are not being wound up by the dealer on any regular basis. I have never seen a dealer display case full of winders for every watch.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 12:08 PM   #43
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I also have a winder an AD gave me with a purchase. Used it for about 3 days, realized how silly it was, and just wind and set my watches manually when I wear them. Enjoy doing it too.
Old 4 April 2017, 02:07 PM   #44
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Hand wind all mine, the only one that makes me consider a winder is my navitimer as it doest offer a quick set date, so it's a pain to set the date if it's more than a day or three behind.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 02:57 PM   #45
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
I also have a winder an AD gave me with a purchase. Used it for about 3 days, realized how silly it was, and just wind and set my watches manually when I wear them. Enjoy doing it too.

This I wind and set as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 03:29 PM   #46
tommy91
"TRF" Member

6 autos no winder. Wind and wear boys, wind and wear.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 03:39 PM   #47
Genevapics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman244 View Post
if it is stopped, just spend 2 minutes setting it in the morning...
this...
Old 4 April 2017, 10:03 PM   #48
cab56
"TRF" Member

Watch: many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I just pick one, wind it, set it and wear
Works for me.
cab56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:26 PM   #49
Spectre007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16030 DJ
a winder would be good for your oldest or most vintage piece only because... unscreweing and re-screwing the crown to set the time 1,000's of times eventually wears down the threading in the crown/tube which could lead to sooner than necessary service costs.
Other than that it is all preference :)
Spectre007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:30 PM   #50
BrownDog09
"TRF" Member

I have 3 watches and no winder here. I equate winders to leaving your car in idle overnight to keep the ac on. I reason a lot of wear and tear for supposed convenience.

BrownDog09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:30 PM   #51
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I just pick one, wind it, set it and wear
Same here. I have 10 to choose from, so most sit in the safe. I usually wear one for a week and then rotate. The Platona and Smurf are in the rotation more than the others.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:38 PM   #52
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

I have six autos and all are wound by hand to start them up.

The day I need a machine to start a watch is the day I sign into an old folks retirement home.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:40 PM   #53
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
No winder needed
I agree. Winders are a complete waste of money. I let my watches rest when not being worn.

The only reason for a winder is if you have a watch with multiple complications. A simple date watch, I let rest.
Old 4 April 2017, 10:44 PM   #54
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I don't have a collection at the moment, but when I did I had 3-4 autos. I did not use a winder. Just pick the one I wanted and wind and set.

I really hope that my almost $8k steel watch that can handle the pressure of 1,000ft of water can handle being manually wound a couple times a month.
Old 4 April 2017, 10:47 PM   #55
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

There is always a big difference of opinion with this topic. I own several Orbita Sparta winders. Now, I only really care about the watches that are a pain in the a$$ to set the date. In fact, I've found that the watches need to be re-set after being on a winder anyway, so I've pretty much lost interest in keeping them wound while I'm not wearing them.
Old 4 April 2017, 10:49 PM   #56
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Seriously, part of the romance of having a mechanical watch, is the pleasure of winding it up when it's run out. I would never put it in a watch-winder for that reason. Every time I wind my sub and feel the tiny cogs turn I get a smile on my face.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 11:01 PM   #57
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle View Post
What is your routine? If I end up keeping the sub, that leaves me with three automatic watches. I have only one Wolf winder and I probably won't be buying another. My DJ is on the winder that has a date complication so I would like that to always be accurate. This leaves the OP and Sub on just a pillow.

Do people with multiple watches have winders or do you just manually set it every time you wear it? The reason why I ask is because I read a thread on I think on RF that said manually winding everyday is not recommended as automatics weren't meant to be respring/wound by hand so often. In a bit of a pickle.
At one time I had almost 50 watches in my collection not all Rolex myself in over 30 years of wearing Rolex watches never felt the need for any machine winder.Now if you did have some sort of disability that prevented the use of your fingers to wind and set the watch,then yes a machine would be a convenience.Or if you had a watch with many complications which no Rolex has, then again they could be a convenience.As myself still got the use of two of the most perfect winders in the world, my own wrist,you can keep your machine winders a unnecessary expense.And even on one of these so called watch winders you have to reset the time and date a few times a year.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 11:07 PM   #58
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
What about the constant use of the crown to wind the watch? Doing this say twice a week, does that not cause unneeded stress and wear, whereas if it was on a winder this action would be spared.
What about the millions of manual wind watches with screw down crowns Rolex included they got wound up daily for years.And a automatic watch is just a manual wind watch with a added auto wind complication.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 11:09 PM   #59
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
What about the millions of manual wind watches with screw down crowns Rolex included they got wound up daily for years.And a automatic watch is just a manual wind watch with a added auto wind complication.

Lol touché, never thought of that.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 11:16 PM   #60
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
no winder , winders and fancy display boxes are the best places were watches are stolen .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote