The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 April 2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Baselworld 2017 - They're trying to rip us off already!

So, just stumbled across this online advert for the new 2017 Sky-Dweller.

(see screen shots below)

The UK list price for this watch will be £10,600

It's not even available yet and already online dealers are trying to 'cash in'

What made me smile though was the quoted 6 to 12 months availability.

Really?? In that case why not do the sensible thing and put your name down with a local AD and pay retail?

Personally, I wouldn't use these online dealers on principle as all they are doing is creating another Daytona C situation.

Thoughts...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-04-03-22-33-06.jpg (37.3 KB, 1642 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-04-03-22-32-10.jpg (48.7 KB, 1639 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2017-04-03-22-33-35.png (18.5 KB, 1655 views)
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:19 AM   #2
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Thoughts? This happened and is still happening with daytonaC. What made you think it wasn't going to happen with other high-demand, limited production watches? Not sure why you're so surprised..
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:23 AM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure why people think the Sky Dweller (or even the Sea Dweller) will be another session of Daytona mania....I do not see that @ all hence no urgency to put myself on my AD lists until I try the pieces on. In fact I'm planning to buy from my favorite trusted sellers here @ either MSRP or small discount after the initial craziness dies down.

You can't blame some sellers for trying I guess, there's always someone desperate enough.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
Thoughts? This happened and is still happening with daytonaC. What made you think it wasn't going to happen with other high-demand, limited production watches? Not sure why you're so surprised..
Was just so surprised that the vultures are trying to cash in already and the watch isn't even available yet!

With the Daytona C I don't remember it being this blatent!

The online dealers only started to cash in once they realised the Daytona C was becoming difficult to source....Not actually pre-empting the scarcity!
Old 4 April 2017, 08:30 AM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
This won't be a limited production watch and nothing like Daytona...Not even close.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:32 AM   #6
artschool
"TRF" Member

maybe this is the way all rolex watches will be marketed from now on.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:33 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
They are asking even more of a premium for the SD43. At least get the watch in stock before you try shafting us.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Shaky
"TRF" Member

I can't see there being the furore of the Daytona C with this watch. Just don't think it will have the mass appeal.

Personally the sky dweller would be the next one on the list after the Daytona for me, however they would be at position close to 20 & 21 !!

Not a fan of either.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:55 AM   #9
gav329
"TRF" Member

Glad to see other folk agreeing with what I said months ago about the Daytona price hike. Checked one of my local AD's today and a 2009 Daytona in stainless with the stainless bezel obviously, £10995.....I don't think so! But like folk say, someone will be stupid enough to pay these prices whereas it be good to see the watches not moving until priced reasonably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Rolex should sell online.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:05 AM   #11
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
Rolex should sell online.
I kind of understand where your coming from with that but i think it would be a big mistake if they did.

Personally i think it would cheapen the brand.
Old 4 April 2017, 09:22 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Glad i don't live in the uk

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:26 AM   #13
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Maybe the two will help ease the Daytona hype. Glad I'm only interested in a PM model this year.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:35 AM   #14
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Baselworld 2017 - They're trying to rip us off already!

I don't blame the sellers! I blame the desperate people who have no patience to wait and try them on before they purchase them. Sellers only satisfy the market demand and if buyers didn't do crazy things, sellers would see no point.

I don't care to be #1, #2 or even #10 on the waiting list at my AD. When I see the watch in the metal, wear it and like it I will buy it and I'll wait to receive it. Not like I don't have any watch to wear till then.

No offense to anyone, I have full respect for the people that camp in front of apple stores to buy the new iPhone releases year after year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:40 AM   #15
RickR
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
If no one buys at that price, it will come down. So, just don't buy it and hope others won't either.
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:44 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Do it for Queen and country. Remain calm and all that.

Also glad i dont live in tne UK. Horrible weather, city tax, massive VAT... makes me wonder why people live there. Have you thought about moving the the South of France, or perhaps Italy. There are many wonderful places with advantages over the UK. This could be an opportunity to make a glorious life change. Maybe someone is sending you a sign?

Pack up and move, you may find yourself happier too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:29 AM   #17
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Also glad i dont live in tne UK. Horrible weather, city tax, massive VAT... makes me wonder why people live there. Have you thought about moving the the South of France, or perhaps Italy. There are many wonderful places with advantages over the UK. This could be an opportunity to make a glorious life change. Maybe someone is sending you a sign?

Well, if it is so horrid, best you stay away in future....we can probably survive without you. By the way, ''city tax''.....what are you talking about ? And the countries you praise have higher taxes, not lower. Vat is charged throughout Europe.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 06:30 PM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Exactly, was being a bit humorous about the other places. Tax was when you drive in the city, apologies for not being clearer. Anywho, be happy you pay a bit extra in the UK and dealers like to make extra profit, as you're helping them stay in business. As you know, there are far better places with lower tax structure, better weather, etc. than the UK, so your choice is staying there is a sign you love Queen and Country and want to help pensioners get their fair share. England needs you. Ireland and other parts of the UK may soon leave, so that could help as Brexit happens. Who knows, maybe one day the British Pound Sterling will be a strong currency again and stop being devalued.

So please support your UK dealer, pay a few thousand pounds extra, it's for the good of the country.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:19 PM   #19
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I'm still waiting for my wrist to grow so I can fit that watch ...lol
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:19 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
They are asking even more of a premium for the SD43. At least get the watch in stock before you try shafting us.
the new Gold daytonas are already listed at £34k vs a retail of £21k... as to if anyone actually buys one at that price is anyones guess.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:24 PM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Im an american and have been in the UK for years and won't go back to the states until they make me. I choose to live here, its not like I'm from here and don't have a choice. There are lots just like me. Its awesome here minus the watch shortage
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 08:48 PM   #22
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:

ha,,ha,,
i wouldnt move to the states,,,i love our little island in the English channel,,
plus the massive problems i would face trying to join a gun club or buying a gun in the US,,lol,,loll,,,,
Kent,Costwolds,,Lake district,,,,west coast of Scotland etc,etc,etc,,
not forgetting our little bit of history,,lol,lol,,,
King Henry 8th used to ride his horses and hunt where i live,,,,,,
Walt Disney used to buy his burgers and coke on Melrose lol,lol,,,
History eh!,,,,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:04 PM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The premium for the Sky-Dweller will not last long as the number of buyers will soon be taken care of. Then the model will be MSRP or slight discount. All you have to do is pay attention here and watch the pattern. The 42 mm Explorer II, Hulk, Explorer, BLNR, DSSD-Blue and the Daytona-C. Add to the list the new Sky-Dweller and the SD43 for now. Supply and time will make it all level out. The Daytona-C is really the only one with staying power right now as the hype may continue for years. This can all be solved by Rolex if they choose. Release enough watches to supply demand and the Grey Market is dead in the water for profiteering.

Last edited by 1William; 4 April 2017 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:10 PM   #24
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
The new Sky Dweller will have great sales but the Daytona still will be harder to get.
Old 4 April 2017, 09:11 PM   #25
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Im an american and have been in the UK for years and won't go back to the states until they make me. I choose to live here, its not like I'm from here and don't have a choice. There are lots just like me. Its awesome here minus the watch shortage
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:35 PM   #26
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Someone will pay it to be the first on their street to own an SS Sky Dweller. Same thing happened when TVs came out.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:57 PM   #27
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Waiting lists for blue dial SS Sky-Dweller in some bigger AD's are 40-50 people, which means about 2 years plus the waiting time for first ones to come. Same list with smaller AD would mean 4-5 years as supply is different depending on size of the AD. I see similarities with Daytona C, as at first Daytona C was hard to get, now its almost impossible to get. Blue Sky-Dweller is already hard to get when taking into account the waiting lists, even that it has been published just few weeks ago. In 18 months time, like Daytona C, it will be almost impossible to get.

Rolex made a mistake with Daytona C, as demand did not have that much of chances to divide. Now there are 3 other Sky-Dweller models (white, black and part gold) to satisfy the demand, without losing the 'chase component' of SS Sky Dwellers, which blue dial delivers. Now they have the same fuss than with Daytona C, but they double or triple the sales. Well done Rolex.
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:05 PM   #28
peterpl
Banned

If someone pays that price they are a big sucker for sure. Especially for a Skydweller. LOL
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:07 PM   #29
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
If you think £15,000 is steep, the white dial TT Sky-Dweller on the same web site is at £17,970 against a MRRP Of £12,600!!

And the SS with blue dial has gone up another £40!!
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:19 PM   #30
Sailaway68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubCLV. SubCNodate
Quote:
Exactly, was being a bit humorous about the other places. Tax was when you drive in the city, apologies for not being clearer. Anywho, be happy you pay a bit extra in the UK and dealers like to make extra profit, as you're helping them stay in business. As you know, there are far better places with lower tax structure, better weather, etc. than the UK, so your choice is staying there is a sign you love Queen and Country and want to help pensioners get their fair share. England needs you. Ireland and other parts of the UK may soon leave, so that could help as Brexit happens. Who knows, maybe one day the British Pound Sterling will be a strong currency again and stop being devalued.

So please support your UK dealer, pay a few thousand pounds extra, it's for the good of the country.
Ireland is not part of the UK, so will not be leaving soon. 'False news'. We just didn't 'build a wall' Enjoythemusic, in fact after much loss of life and heartache in living memory we took one down. I come here to get away from the world of False News, shoot from the hip tweets, xenophobes and the like and discuss, learn about and enjoy discussing quality watches. Circumstances not for discussion mean I did move from London to the South of France ( as you suggest from afar), but not by cause of any of the perceived problems you list in the UK. Every country has its strengths and weaknesses. To me, as a world citizen who loves Queen and Country, one of the things I am most proud of in the British culture is in general how inclusive a people we are, understanding of other cultures, countries and people.

Lets get back to beautiful watches made in Europe please
Sailaway68 is offline   Reply With Quote