The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 November 2017, 04:09 PM   #1
OxfordSD
"TRF" Member

Been racking my brain between the SubC, SubC Date, and the SD43.

I’m having a tough time deciding between the Sub, SubC, and the new Sea Dweller. I read some previous threads and am more confused than ever.

A bit about me:
-I never look at the date complication on my watch, I don’t even set the date on watches that have it
-I do a ton of research and contemplating beforehand, and then never sell any of my watches
-I have 6 3/4” wrists
-I own an Explorer 1
-Comfortable with the price difference between all 3 watches

What I see as the positives and negatives of each
ND Sub:
P-Cleanest dial
P-Under the Radar
N-Have an Explorer 1 and worry that if I added a bezel and replaced the numbers I’d have a sub. This is the least differentiated from the Explorer.

Sub Date:
P-Has a bit more differentiation from my Explorer due to the cyclops
P-Bit more wrist presence/visually more interesting by comparison to the ND Sub but still understated
N-I don’t even set the date/look at the date on any of my watches

Seadweller 43:
P-Wrist presence- I like that it’s a bit bigger sized, would have preferred 42mm
P-Less common than the subs
N-With 6 3/4” wrists I think I’ll be borderline with this watch for sizing. I also worry that while it might like the bigger size today, 10-15 years from now, I may not.
N-I’ve read the dial is matte (others claim Semi-glossy). Either way I really prefer the fully glossy dial of the Submariner.

Two Questions
1. I heard the cyclops grows on you. Those that were indifferent to it when they bought a Sub Date, did you grow to like it, or wish you had gone without getting it? I’m specifically speaking to the cyclops here, as actually using my watch for the date is unimportant to me.

2. Those of you who have either owned one version, or multiples of these watches...if you had to pick one, which one would it be and why?

EDIT: (Sorry this is so long, I’m trying to provide as much info as possible)
1. I don’t care about being a purist, the “history”, etc. Just a regular guy looking for another nice watch to pair with my Explorer 1 that I can make some memories with.
2. I’m not rough on my watches at all. I take them off when I do anything like gardening etc. I also don’t dive.
3. I’m not considering a GMT, the SD4000, an older model sub, etc.
OxfordSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Atomic4k
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan of the cyclops, so I went with a Sub no date. This is my first rolex and I like how it has a very clean and plain look. It doesn't attract attention especially with a nato strap.
Atomic4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 04:26 PM   #3
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordSD View Post
N-With 6 3/4” wrists I think I’ll be borderline with this watch for sizing. I also worry that while it might like the bigger size today, 10-15 years from now, I may not.
N-I’ve read the dial is matte (others claim Semi-glossy). Either way I really prefer the fully glossy dial of the Submariner.

2. Those of you who have either owned one version, or multiples of these watches...if you had to pick one, which one would it be and why?
The difference between the watch sizes isn't as big as people make it out to be. Buy the watch for now, buy a new watch in 10-15 years if you think its too big.
Dial is beautiful in real life. Best thing would be to hold the watches side by side and see which one makes your heart beat the hardest.

I prefer the 43 compared to all previous sea-dwellers. The simplicity of one red line. I prefer the height to size ratio.

Fantastic outcome either way, gluck with the choice.
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If you're hitting a brick wall with these three, why not look at other brands till you find a watch that blows your socks off (which, for several thousand dollars, it should)?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 04:43 PM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old expat beast View Post
if you're hitting a brick wall with these three, why not look at other brands till you find a watch that blows your socks off (which, for several thousand dollars, it should)?
+1
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 04:44 PM   #6
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Difference in size may not be much between Exp 1 and Sub, but difference in wrist presence is massive.

I know this is a very poor difference, excuse the crap pic taken in crap lighting... this is the older Exp 1 14270 on my wrist:

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 05:14 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
Difference in size may not be much between Exp 1 and Sub, but difference in wrist presence is massive.

I know this is a very poor difference, excuse the crap pic taken in crap lighting... this is the older Exp 1 14270 on my wrist:

Nice choice.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 05:19 PM   #8
Morrisdog
"TRF" Member

My vote is the Sub date. The Sea dweller will surely be too large on your wrist. You already have the no date Explorer so the Sub date is the logical choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrisdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 05:21 PM   #9
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Seems like you need a SubC no date. Doesn’t look anything like an Exp 1. Will look similar to SD43 from 10ft away to non WIS passers by. It will have significant wrist presence on you.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Plenty of subs out there, go for the SD43.
Old 6 November 2017, 06:32 PM   #11
Jacksh
"TRF" Member

Got my subC after going trough the same debate...no regrets, perfect watch

Jacksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 07:09 PM   #12
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If you're hitting a brick wall with these three, why not look at other brands till you find a watch that blows your socks off (which, for several thousand dollars, it should)?
X2

For what it's worth - I've had a SD for 12 years & worried when I bought my 1680 a few years ago having never worn a Watch with a cyclops before that - I'd struggle with long term wear. It's a close thing but I think the sub just edges it with the 'lower profile' case
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 07:32 PM   #13
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Don’t overthink it. SD43 and you’ll be a happy camper. Yes, 43 but wears smaller, new movement and cyclops really grows on you. If for some reason you’re not in bliss you’ll have no problem passing it along and shouldn’t loose a dime. Hard to beat that with any of your other options.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 07:51 PM   #14
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I have 7” wrists and anything larger than my 40mm GMT looks weird on me. It looks like I am trying too hard and I don’t want my cuff hanging up on my watch.

I’ve seen a lot of watch fashion trends from ultra thin watches and now ultra fat watches. The middle sized Rolex watches seem to steam right through the fashion swings. DayDate, DateJust, and SubDate to name a few always seem to be popular. My AD says she sells 100 SubDate watches to 1 no date Sub.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:20 PM   #15
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

A watch with a date is tenfold more valuable than a watch without a date to me. I've also liked the SD for quite sometime and when the SD43 came out with red I instantly fell in love with it. The size and heft is feels for great for my wrist size of 7 inches.

I would rank your choices in the order of SD43 and Sub date very closely in that order followed by the no date. However, seeing as how you do not feel decisive on one of them, maybe you would want to try them out at an AD and spend some time in store with it. Dont feel rushed to make the decision. If you still aren't completely captured by either of the choices, I would suggest trying on a few other models and seeing if any other makes you completely obsessed. Regardless, when you find the watch you love, you won't take your eyes off it. Happy hunting!
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:33 PM   #16
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
That's what's fun about the hobby. The hunt. For me prefer a watch with out a date.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:40 PM   #17
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
There are no zeros in that group so you really can’t go wrong with any of them.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:44 PM   #18
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

All great watches and choices. You have been doing your homework. That's great! I would rule out the SD43 as it is a little too think on the wrist for me. That would narrow it down to Sub Date vs No Date. I love having a Date on my watch.

Vote - Sub Date!
Old 6 November 2017, 08:58 PM   #19
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Why not look at SD4K? I think it might have everything you are looking for.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 09:40 PM   #20
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpefy3 View Post
Why not look at SD4K? I think it might have everything you are looking for.
Ditto.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 10:00 PM   #21
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
Go with SubC no date.
The only similarities between SubC no date and Explorer I are they both have no date and both have black dials. Oh and both have nice symetry dials
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 10:01 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If you don't need the date function, the Submariner seems like it fits the bill perfectly.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 10:19 PM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own the SD43 and a YG Submariner and have previously owned the ND Submariner and the Date Submariner. Of the three listed and the ownership of the Explorer, I would go with the ND Sub. Great watch and perfectly balanced in my opinion. Why tie up another 5-7K for the SD43. I also don't understand the need for a date on a watch. I like it, but it could go. I knew the date yesterday, so I know the date tomorrow and the next day. Just like I know the day of the week. Not a loser in your selection choice. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 10:21 PM   #24
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
If you’re not going to set or read the date then I don’t see a reason to buy a watch with a date and a cyclops. Of the three choices I would get the SubC but as Adam suggested I would wait and look for something you really like.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 10:28 PM   #25
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
For me, the sub c date checks all the boxes. I love the cyclops and the glidelock. The sd 43 while a good looking watch, looks like an imposter sub to my eyes. But to be fair, I have not seen one in person yet.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 10:36 PM   #26
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Try them on. You have to put them each one on your wrist and only then you may know which is the one for you.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 10:38 PM   #27
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I agree with your dilemma. I currently own a Panerai no date manual wind ...I only wear it on weekends..so I set it, wind it, then wear it. For a daily wear, I am very close to buying the SD43. I have a 7.25" wrist. The 43mm fits better than the 40mm in my opinion. I like the cyclops...just makes the Rolex diver look unique to me. I don't like the "shiny" links on the GMTs because I feel they are more prone to scratches and fingerprints. I am debating whether Basil 2018 launches a new movement SubC...and maybe a larger case to 42mm. That would be my perfect watch...and maybe a dark navy blue bezel with a black face...
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 11:13 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd go for the SD43 for the greatest differentiation, but don't lock yourself into these two, now you've joined TRF you will be tempted on a daily so you might have to spread your wings, even to other brands.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 11:16 PM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think I sense from your post that you're looking for something that gives you the greatest diversity from your EXP. I believe the new SD will do that for you.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 11:16 PM   #30
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd go for the SD43 for the greatest differentiation, but don't lock yourself into these two, now you've joined TRF you will be tempted on a daily so you might have to spread your wings, even to other brands.
These daily temptations couldn't be feel anymore real than they have since visiting this forum everyday. I can't agree with this anymore. I feel like I need to work even harder to buy every watch I want,and even then it would never end
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote