The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2018, 11:40 AM   #1
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Transitional Models

I’ve started to become interested in Rolex’s transitional models, specifically GMTs and the 16753. I think one of these would be a good complement to my 116610LN and 116300 silver stick. I hope this isn’t too broad of a question, but in considering a purchase, what are the questions I should be asking? Thanks for any help.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 01:20 PM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
I really would not call a 16713 a transitional model, maybe look at a 16753

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 02:20 PM   #3
DahMan
Banned

The DJ has to be a traditional model! TT 41 jub
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 02:26 PM   #4
DahMan
Banned

I thought you said traditional, I said DJ...
Then I realized you said transitional.... you lost me
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:14 PM   #5
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Yeah, what is a transitional model?...
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 12:37 AM   #6
erhein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
Yeah, what is a transitional model?...
Let's see if I can give an intelligent answer with the little bit of knowledge I have so far. Transitional models are those which were produced for a relatively limited length of time between the vintage and modern Rolexes and that made incremental changes between the vintage and modern watches. For example, a change in the type of steel used in the case; a change in the depth rating; a change in the crystal composition; a change in the bezel rotation; a change in the bracelet; a change in the depth rating; etc.

They seem to be desirable to some, but not others. I'm trying to decide whether it's something I'd want to have. It seems to me that they're not as expensive as going full-on vintage, depending on the watch, but with some of the vintage qualities. I'm still learning and probably have a long way to go.
Old 8 April 2018, 12:44 AM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

As far as more modern pieces, the 16610LV would be an excellent example of a transitional model. It was the first model, to my knowledge, to use a maxi dial and hands. It still retains the older case shape and bracelet. In the years it was available the rehaut eventually became engraved as we see on all modern models now.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 03:16 AM   #8
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
As far as more modern pieces, the 16610LV would be an excellent example of a transitional model. It was the first model, to my knowledge, to use a maxi dial and hands. It still retains the older case shape and bracelet. In the years it was available the rehaut eventually became engraved as we see on all modern models now.
The platinum dial yacht master was the first to have the maxi dial, in fact, my 2016 11622 yacht master would make an excellent transitional model, M series, because it has the Rolex Rolex rehaut and the more traditional tuna can type clasp before the watch was re-modelled the following year with a solid link bracelet and milled clasp, making the run of the M series VERY short!
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 03:50 AM   #9
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Was the reference number changed for this transitional models, as you call them, or was it only the model year that could indicate an incremental change? For instance, the new SS GMT BLRO is a 12671o, instead of 11; despite its new tweaks, it's in line with the 11671o dna, so i wouldn't have changed its ref number.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 04:03 AM   #10
erhein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
Was the reference number changed for this transitional models, as you call them, or was it only the model year that could indicate an incremental change? For instance, the new SS GMT BLRO is a 12671o, instead of 11; despite its new tweaks, it's in line with the 11671o dna, so i wouldn't have changed is ref number.
That’s a good question and I have to be honest, I don’t know the answer for sure. At this point, I don’t understand the numbering system well enough to know. My thinking was that the “2” in the second position was an indication that it has an upgraded movement.
Old 8 April 2018, 07:03 AM   #11
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
The platinum dial yacht master was the first to have the maxi dial, in fact, my 2016 11622 yacht master would make an excellent transitional model, M series, because it has the Rolex Rolex rehaut and the more traditional tuna can type clasp before the watch was re-modelled the following year with a solid link bracelet and milled clasp, making the run of the M series VERY short!
I assuming you mean 2006 Yacht-Master? A Yacht-Master from 2016 should not have the older bracelet and clasp. The platinum dial Yacht-Master was discontinued around this year as well, long fully modernized with an updated bracelet and clasp.

Also the 16610LV came out in 2003 I believe, Yacht-Master's already had maxi dials at this time?
Old 8 April 2018, 07:09 AM   #12
GMT Aviator

Quote:
I assuming you mean 2006 Yacht-Master? A Yacht-Master from 2016 should not have the older bracelet and clasp. The platinum dial Yacht-Master was discontinued around this year as well, long fully modernized with an updated bracelet and clasp.

Also the 16610LV came out in 2003 I believe. I am fairly certain it was the first to have the maxi dial.
Yes, I apologise. I’d have to check my warantee card for the exact year, but it’s an M series serial number. I think only made for one or two years in that config before the updated YM appeared with the solid link bracelet and milled clasp. They also made a modification to the lugs of the watch I seem to remember.
Here it is...technically it’s a transition model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 229084AF-88B0-4ED2-8AF4-BEF0A204B8BC.jpeg (140.1 KB, 413 views)
Old 8 April 2018, 07:14 AM   #13
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I apologise. I’d have to check my warantee card for the exact year, but it’s an M series serial number. I think only made for one or two years in that config before the updated YM appeared with the solid link bracelet and milled clasp. They also made a modification to the lugs of the watch I seem to remember.
Here it is...technically it’s a transition model.
I went back and edited my post while you were responding. First of all, awesome watch. The Yacht-Master was my first love. I wimped out and bought a Submariner Date as my first Rolex in 2008.

I did some research and what I could find said that maxi dial verbage was first used in 2003 when the 16610LV came out, but that the Yacht-Master had them at their re-introduction as well (which was a few years earlier?). There are also older vintage dials referred to as maxi dials; specifically the 5513. So I am guessing the YM was the first to have the maxi dial, but it wasn't called this until the anniversary Submariner Date came out?
Old 8 April 2018, 07:52 AM   #14
GMT Aviator

Quote:
I went back and edited my post while you were responding. First of all, awesome watch. The Yacht-Master was my first love. I wimped out and bought a Submariner Date as my first Rolex in 2008.

I did some research and what I could find said that maxi dial verbage was first used in 2003 when the 16610LV came out, but that the Yacht-Master had them at their re-introduction as well (which was a few years earlier?). There are also older vintage dials referred to as maxi dials; specifically the 5513. So I am guessing the YM was the first to have the maxi dial, but it wasn't called this until the anniversary Submariner Date came out?
No problem. I seem to remember reading (probably here on TRF) that the YM was an attempt by Rolex to replace the Submariner. They used the YM to introduce the maxi dial, soften and reshape the lugs and update the bezel to something new. In the end, it became a stand alone watch. A dress version of the Submariner and Rolex eventually chickened out of making such sweeping changes to the Sub, except for the maxi dial layout and the hands.
I really like my YM but I rarely wear it. It’s a watch which needs to be kept looking clean and fresh IMO. I’d only ever wear it for an occasion. My DJ2’s and GMT’s are my daily’s.
Old 8 April 2018, 09:31 AM   #15
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
The white gold GMT Master II with the blue dial and the old movement will be a collectible transitional model down the road, I would think..

I can't imagine it will be long before it gets the new movement.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 10:36 AM   #16
erhein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
The white gold GMT Master II with the blue dial and the old movement will be a collectible transitional model down the road, I would think..
Is it maybe that you can’t identify a transitional model when it first comes out? Maybe models only become transitional in retrospect.
Old 17 May 2018, 02:25 PM   #17
SpyShopsNYC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I recently got the 16622 w/ Rolex rehaut and tuna can clasp. The reason why is bc the 35mm only came w/ tuna clasp and wanted to be the same like the wife’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SpyShopsNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 04:49 AM   #18
CBG1
"TRF" Member

I have a Y serial 16710 ... lug holes and SEL. Apparently according to some forum posts, that's a "transitional" model. Fwiw, it's on my wrist and not in a safe! Seems like many things could count as 'transitional'. Probably the one, if I had it, that would be in a safe would be a 16710 with the 3186 movement, those seem to be truly transitional and rare.
CBG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:09 AM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
I’ve started to become interested in Rolex’s transitional models, specifically GMTs and the 16753. I think one of these would be a good complement to my 116610LN and 116300 silver stick. I hope this isn’t too broad of a question, but in considering a purchase, what are the questions I should be asking? Thanks for any help.
Same as any Rolex old or new. Service history, completeness of the set, condition, and seller trustworthiness. Above all, make certain it's a model you love and want to have around for a long, long time. For many all the five digit Rolex watches are lumped into the transitional bucket, fwiw. Typically the crystal has been offered in sapphire instead of acrylic and they have older style bracelets without the machined clasps. Also there are pretty much modern movements in them. The 3136 is selling at a premium over the 3135 movements for example.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote