The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2018, 01:27 AM   #1
OysterLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1262330021
Saving for Oyster Perpetual 39

Hi all! New here. Started to save for my first "proper watch" and, naturally, I was attracted to Rolex's offerings. I currently have $1300 and am waiting to sell a 1990s 34mm quartz Omega Constellation in steel and 18k gold.

Then, I'll hopefully only be a couple thousand away from the pre-tax $5700 that is required for a spanking new 39mm white dial OP.

Of course, I'm considering alternatives, most of which are markedly less expensive. Some of these are the Cartier Tank Solo XL Auto ($3700) or the newly released Tudor Black Bay 58 ($3575). I've even eyed the JLC Reverso on a black strap for a similar price as the Oyster.

I'm looking for an incredibly high quality piece with maximum value and versatility. I value movement quality, case and bracelet construction, and value retention. While I don't ever plan on selling the watch, I'd like to know that the piece would be more timeless and "desirable."

Would I be wiser in cashing out earlier for, say, the Cartier or the Tudor? I'm tempted to hold out for the Rolex as it may be the best made and most versatile of these pieces.
If you have any suggestions for alternatives, then please let me know! Thanks!
OysterLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I would wait for the Rolex white dial 39mm OP because it will be the most versatile among the watches on your list. Save diligently.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Twentyfourframe
"TRF" Member

Keep saving for the OP! I love mine, if you want it then anything else will not do, I learnt that the hard way by buying other watches hoping they would scratch the Rolex itch, needless to say they didn’t, get the Rolex then save for other pieces you will invariably purchase, my op was not my first Rolex but to be honest it should have been, it’s super easy to wear, low key but has all the DNA that make Rolex such a special watch.
Twentyfourframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 10:43 PM   #4
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Agree with the above, keep saving. It'll be worth it in the end
Old 11 July 2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Brew
"TRF" Member

Don't settle. Wait and save for the watch that will make you smile each time you put it on or look at it.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:22 PM   #6
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Is the OP39 the watch your really want or is it the cheapest Rolex you can afford after saving for it?
Old 11 July 2018, 11:31 PM   #7
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Do you truly want that particular Rolex (It's a fantastic option by the way) or are you just trying to slap anything Rolex on your wrist ?

Either way, do not settle. If what you truly want is a Rolex, keep saving towards it when you have the $6K you may end up wanting something else or stick with your original choice.

I've tried to fill the "Rolex Void" many times and I ended up with a bunch of crap in a drawer I have no desire in wearing.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2018, 11:35 PM   #8
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Stay on track for the Rolex! The most money I ever lost in a watch trade was with a Cartier...as great looking as they are.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 01:16 AM   #9
A-Wax
"TRF" Member

Definitely hold out, stay focused!
A-Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 01:18 AM   #10
Brazicano
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710blnr
The white dial OP is very nice in person. More of a flat white/cream color
Brazicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:48 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Do not settle! Buy the OP when you're ready, it's worth the wait.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:50 AM   #12
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
If the OP is what you really want, then continue saving. It will be all that much sweeter once it's on your wrist! Good Luck
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:03 AM   #13
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Save up bro. When you're ready. Contact DavidSW ask him to source one for you. I bet he can get you a better price.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:13 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

OP, to add to my previous reply:
I own the Cartier tank solo and a 34mm oyster perpetual, the Cartier was my first fine watch so I'm never selling it but if I were to pick now I'd go OP34 every time. You won't regret waiting.

Old 12 July 2018, 03:15 AM   #15
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Be patient and buy from AD it is only source Rolex endorse. Here is mine. Love it after 18 months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoPictureResizer_180621_144102353-756x1008.jpg (102.3 KB, 1167 views)
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:18 AM   #16
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I'd save for what you want. Those are al very different pieces you listed (nice in their own regard though). I personally love the OP in white and think it's a great value. Also, after the initial buzz of the new release, sometimes the OPs can be found under MSRP if you shop around. Keep saving and you may see a deal down the line that closes the gap a little.

Best of luck!
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:20 AM   #17
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
agree with the above, keep saving. It'll be worth it in the end
+1!
Old 12 July 2018, 05:18 AM   #18
OysterLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1262330021
Important question. I know I want a Rolex with minimal complications. I'm also not into precious metals. From what I understand, the way to get the most value from a new Rolex is to buy a steel sports model. That said, I wouldn't ever spend more for a Datejust or Sub.
Basically, the OP fulfills all of the reqs that I'd ever want any Rolex to have. So why save for a steel Sub no date or spend 3k more for a steel Datejust? Seems silly.
OysterLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:23 AM   #19
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterLover View Post
Important question. I know I want a Rolex with minimal complications. I'm also not into precious metals. From what I understand, the way to get the most value from a new Rolex is to buy a steel sports model. That said, I wouldn't ever spend more for a Datejust or Sub.
Basically, the OP fulfills all of the reqs that I'd ever want any Rolex to have. So why save for a steel Sub no date or spend 3k more for a steel Datejust? Seems silly.
There are plenty of people who do not want the OP, but want something bigger or with more functions.
I understand your point of view and I agree that the OP is the core of what Rolex is, a no nonsense toolwatch that looks as great on the summit of Everest or under a shirt cuff.
Old 12 July 2018, 05:35 AM   #20
Brew
"TRF" Member

I went to an AD to purchase my first Rolex. I had done my research, and I wanted an Explorer. Until I saw the rhodium OP. Put a grand in my pocket and walked out with a watch I love. I think the watch dresses up nicer, and dresses down as well. The white? Likely more so.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 06:32 AM   #21
zetaplus93
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 & 116710LN
I’d save for the OP 39 white dial. I have the 34 version and it’s great for my wrist.

Hit up trusted sellers like DavidSW to save a bit. He had one not long ago at pretty much MSRP (but no tax).
Old 12 July 2018, 07:04 AM   #22
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
Get the watch you want for a few grand more. It's worth the wait. It's bad when you try to get something cheaper then end up still wanting that OP!
lilokito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:40 AM   #23
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Take a Short hop to Amsterdam

Make a weekend out of it and go to Dam square, Gassan AD and get one for < US $4000 after VAT refund.

Old 12 July 2018, 08:43 AM   #24
miataguy
Banned

Don't do it. It's a clear base model. Buy a used exp 1 or 2 instead. New air king is a better option too. My honest opinion.
miataguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:47 AM   #25
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterLover View Post
Hi all! New here. Started to save for my first "proper watch" and, naturally, I was attracted to Rolex's offerings. I currently have $1300 and am waiting to sell a 1990s 34mm quartz Omega Constellation in steel and 18k gold.

Then, I'll hopefully only be a couple thousand away from the pre-tax $5700 that is required for a spanking new 39mm white dial OP.

Of course, I'm considering alternatives, most of which are markedly less expensive. Some of these are the Cartier Tank Solo XL Auto ($3700) or the newly released Tudor Black Bay 58 ($3575). I've even eyed the JLC Reverso on a black strap for a similar price as the Oyster.

I'm looking for an incredibly high quality piece with maximum value and versatility. I value movement quality, case and bracelet construction, and value retention. While I don't ever plan on selling the watch, I'd like to know that the piece would be more timeless and "desirable."

Would I be wiser in cashing out earlier for, say, the Cartier or the Tudor? I'm tempted to hold out for the Rolex as it may be the best made and most versatile of these pieces.
If you have any suggestions for alternatives, then please let me know! Thanks!
You're correct in thinking the OP is best suited to your taste and priorities. Stick with your plan to save for that one, and then think about the others later on.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:24 AM   #26
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Take a Short hop to Amsterdam

Congrats on the new 34mm OP! I wonder if the salesman is attempting to stay impartial towards what they sell by wearing an Apple Watch.
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:48 AM   #27
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
How big a boy are ya? Meaning how large is your wrist. A piece of advice; you gotta try them on. You can't go by pictures, no matter how beautiful all of them are it may not be a good match.

I was convinced my next watch would be a DJ. A number of years ago one of my mentors wore a DJ 36mm white/Roman dial. And I really loved how it looked. I was wearing a 16710 Pepsi at the time and was satisfied. Years later when it came time for me to pull the trigger I narrowed it down to that one or a DJ 41 with a fluted bezel and blue or rhodium dial, and both with a jubilee bracelet. Both beautiful watches among many. It'd be a hard decision.

So I found my nearest AD and went to look and try them on. And...they just didn't do it for me. It was anticlimactic. They both looked so small on my wrist, even the DJ41. I can't explain it. The 36mm looked like a ladies watch on my wrist. So tiny. Also I didn't like the look of the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet when I tried it on, even though they looked fantastic in pictures. They looked too blingy, too flashy. I wanted something I could wear to the office, out for dinner or in the backyard working on the pool.

Before I left I'd tried on a Sub and a GMT II and they both suited me. Just perfect. Fit like a glove came to mind. I like the substantial look and feel on my wrist, both the width/thickness and weight. I felt like what I was used to; like I was wearing a big watch. Not like I was wearing a tiny leather bracelet like I felt with the DJs. I left without purchasing anything that day. But I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I'd go with one of the SS sport models, just had to make my decision.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:03 PM   #28
TRM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataguy View Post
Don't do it. It's a clear base model. Buy a used exp 1 or 2 instead. New air king is a better option too. My honest opinion.
Maybe he wants the "base model". Not everyone needs more than that.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:10 PM   #29
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

Personally, I'd go for the OP. Clean lines and super classic :> can dress up and down relatively easily.
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:13 PM   #30
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Lange 1 Daymat

Good choice, got mine today! It’s a stunning piece. I also like the BB58, saw it in person but mines not in yet.

When in doubt, buy what you can borrow!!

Also, buy what your heart is set on, don’t settle. You’ll regret it.
Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Dj_masse is offline   Reply With Quote