The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 June 2019, 04:05 AM   #31
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

They’re ubiquitous. I don’t think anybody has ever said they’re rare or exclusive. They’re just so hard to get hold of due to popularity. Markets are at all time highs and this confidence is having an effect and people are buying more expensive stuff.

But, I could take the anecdote and use it to so many other things. Every day I see dozens of G Wagons and 911s. I go to a mall and all I see is APs. I think you notice what you’re interested in. Similarly, everyone is now going on holiday to Bali, the Maldives, Seychelles etc and flying business class. We live in times when people want shit they can show off.

I would agree though that a Rolex is the one thing people flock to when they have a bit of cash. They are very in vogue right now. Social media has a lot to do with that. But ultimately you wear a watch for yourself not anybody else, so I don’t think it really matters. Wear what you like and forget about everybody else.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:16 AM   #32
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
IDK, feels like the coolness and exclusivity are peaking and the cycle could be drawing to a close. I don't say that as a disgruntled consumer, I can have any model I want at MSRP within 4 weeks, but they're selling 1mm watches a year, everyone who wants one has one.

Most things are cyclical, and when I see a clerk at the DMV wearing a Sub, I get the sense the end is near.
Wealthy people hang around other wealthy people.

Perspective: 7+ billion live on earth, almost 25% and this is in the us earn 25k or less per year. 71% of the worlds population live on less than 10 bucks per day.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:20 AM   #33
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Rolex is especially ubiquitous in my part of the world where there is a lot of flash. When I'm sitting in a meeting, at the airport or grabbing a beer, there will often be another person in proximity wearing the exact Rolex that I'm wearing, and several more wearing some other Rolex. Maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 are not authentic, unscientifically based upon the number of people that I've chatted up and admitted so.

If you want to stand out here, you have to rock an all-gold Rolex, less common but still recognized designs such as an AP or a Hublot, or something with uncommon complications in a gold case on a strap. Of course, you could wear a ceramic pepsi or rootbeer and stand out, but only to the very small percentage who know and give a crap what model you are wearing.

Rolex is in a price range that is attainable by a large segment of the population that lives or frequents the places that another Rolex owner lives in or frequents. Even though it is difficult or outrageously expensive to obtain some models right now, there are decades of sport models already out there.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:22 AM   #34
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
You been here since 2015 and just realized Rolex are not exclusive?
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:23 AM   #35
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Essentially a thread saying you can have any watch cuz you got connects and Rolex watches are common. Cool.
Matters not. I have my reasons for liking and wearing Rolex and unless the quality and durability take a huge nose dive, I don't care if it's the new G-Shock.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:25 AM   #36
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Essentially a thread saying you can have any watch cuz you got connects and Rolex watches are common. Cool.
Matters not. I have my reasons for liking and wearing Rolex and unless the quality and durability take a huge nose dive, I don't care if it's the new G-Shock.
I was stating that bc 99% of these threads I see usually stem from people not being able to source a watch, I was prefacing that isn't my reasoning.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:33 AM   #37
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
Quote:
I can have any model I want at MSRP within 4 weeks
I think I actually laughed out loud when I read this. So my advice to you would be, sell your collection and move on to what ever makes you feel exclusive. And if you find you miss Rolex and want to come back down to the common folk, it will only take you 4 weeks to obtain any Rolex you want at msrp.
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:37 AM   #38
MinMay
Banned

Who cares if everyone is wearing one....

Why did you buy a Rolex in the first place?
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:42 AM   #39
belmate85
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Stating you don't want to wear your Rolexes anymore because the "clerk at the DMV" or the "skateboarder" are now wearing them? Go to PP then, or something "more exclusive" to elevate yourself.
belmate85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:46 AM   #40
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Nothing against the clerk at the DMV, just using it as the latest example of seeing them everywhere.

Debating dumping my collection and moving on to PP. I'm sure a lot of us are watch lovers, collectors, enjoy movements, etc... To me it feels like anyone who wants to be cool and flash a little money buys a Rolex at this point.

So who cares? Why does someone else wearing a watch impact your opinion of it?
Old 1 June 2019, 04:49 AM   #41
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsdca View Post
However, the Sub is popular for a reason. It has been the perfect sports watch for decades (up until recently when Rolex made it with a square case).
Oh, no you didn't!
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 04:57 AM   #42
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing against the clerk at the DMV, just using it as the latest example of seeing them everywhere.

Debating dumping my collection and moving on to PP. I'm sure a lot of us are watch lovers, collectors, enjoy movements, etc... To me it feels like anyone who wants to be cool and flash a little money buys a Rolex at this point.
This is not a new phenomenon, and honestly buying the Rolex is often the least worst way to enjoy a bit of money.

The enthusiast who really wants to be certain to stay under the radar has VC, LF, FPJ, Lange and Grand Seiko.

In my circles, also honestly, nautilus are not actually "rare" any way either if you want to play that game.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:03 AM   #43
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This is why you should only buy pieces that you love. Then it doesn't matter at all if you see them a lot on others.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:10 AM   #44
khrystyan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was stating that bc 99% of these threads I see usually stem from people not being able to source a watch, I was prefacing that isn't my reasoning.
Backtracking a half-assed claim now? That's not all you said. You went out of your way to describe how "the end is near" by catching a plebeian DMW clerk, and even worse, a skater, wearing your precious brand.

A mass-produced watch like rolex can never be exclusive. Your AD sold you a dream. Sorry buddy.
khrystyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:13 AM   #45
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
IDK, feels like the coolness and exclusivity are peaking and the cycle could be drawing to a close. I don't say that as a disgruntled consumer, I can have any model I want at MSRP within 4 weeks, but they're selling 1mm watches a year, everyone who wants one has one.

Most things are cyclical, and when I see a clerk at the DMV wearing a Sub, I get the sense the end is near.
Recently i made a post of the exact same topic and got flamed by some. It is right ..
It is like australian jeans in the 90s now..
It is way way way to common atm..

AP to
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:16 AM   #46
Brny11
"TRF" Member

is this a joke (or a troll)? Your opinion is narrow sighted as I see a Rolex a month where I live (your geographical location does not represent the world, sorry to tell you). Also, glad you think because a person with a less of a job than you personally consider to be typical for a Rolex owner has a Rolex (without knowing anything about that person), that’s your indicator that it’s no longer exclusive?

I disagree with your post, to say the least.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:25 AM   #47
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

DMV clerks make on average 12-15 dollars/hour. What makes you so sure the watch was genuine Rolex? If you are in NYC there are plenty of Canal St. specials to go around.

If you want "exclusive" go get a million dollar R.M. Guarantee you the DMV clerk won't have one.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:26 AM   #48
DPE
"TRF" Member

must be getting confused with seeing lots of copy Rolex watches.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:28 AM   #49
LndLord
"TRF" Member

I have been seeing a lot of Lamborghini trucks all over also
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:36 AM   #50
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:

1m watches a year means 0.0001% of the world has bought a Rolex this year...
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:42 AM   #51
R@lex
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd40 228235
This is why you see Rolex everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upAJE_XhT2Y
Old 1 June 2019, 05:53 AM   #52
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
The power of Rolex...the illusion of exclusivity.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:56 AM   #53
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At this point? Hasn't that ALWAYS been the case? Just that before SS was a little under the radar.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 05:57 AM   #54
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
DMV clerks make on average 12-15 dollars/hour. What makes you so sure the watch was genuine Rolex? If you are in NYC there are plenty of Canal St. specials to go around.

If you want "exclusive" go get a million dollar R.M. Guarantee you the DMV clerk won't have one.
Its all how you choose to spend your $ and with the rise of social media and the need to impress strangers more people are putting more value into owning a rolex in turn increasing their popularity. I know a guy that doesn't have a job to qualify for a mortgage, lives at home with his parents at almost 30 years old and has multiple Rolexes.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 06:00 AM   #55
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by R@lex View Post
This is why you see Rolex everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upAJE_XhT2Y
Good link, I do imagine a lot are fake.... I was in a watch shop a few years back and a guy was trying to trade a Panerai against another watch however the watch was checked by the in-house watch maker... who found the bridge on the movement to be wrong the watch had box paper etc.... He was gutted as he had paid a few quid for it!!!
jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 06:02 AM   #56
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
must be getting confused with seeing lots of copy Rolex watches.
This is probably true! Saw a Platona on a kid in the underground, was surprised at first before I realised that it must be a good copy, there was almost no way it could have been real. Recently I talked to a friends kid in high school and we got into watches, I showed him my Lange but he was not interested and instead asked how many Rolex I own. He said a classmate was selling fakes for 400€ if I was interested..
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 06:11 AM   #57
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe you are buying all those watches for the wrong reason, or maybe you just need to find something more expensive to be sure people are clear about how cool and wealthy and special you are. You ain't no DMV clerk after all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 06:17 AM   #58
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:

Sorry T-Bone!

If Rolex isn't cool or exclusive enough for you, I'm sure there are other brands with more snob appeal out there.

Here is the issue as far as I can see it..

1) A cool guy buys something.

2) A bunch of other guys see it, and buy the same thing, thinking it will make them cool

3) Everyone else sees the not so cool guys with the cool guys stuff.

4)Cool guys stuff isn't cool anymore.

Real style and being cool aren't bought or copied, they are inherent in the individual. It comes from within, not from a boutique.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 06:24 AM   #59
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Quote:

You should move. Where I live, I almost never see a Rolex outside the AD’s showroom. Maybe once a month, at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 06:26 AM   #60
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
You're seeing Rolex everywhere because you have one and are sensitized. Same thing happens when you buy a new car. Suddenly, they're everywhere. They aren't there any more than they were before your purchase. You've become sensitized. Simple
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote