The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 July 2019, 11:50 PM   #1
Purdue_Chip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Service Question

I have a sub and datejust that are both needing service. What are your opinions on RSC vs AD for servicing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purdue_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 11:52 PM   #2
HTX1990
"TRF" Member

I’m going through the same dilemma and am glad you posed the the question. Excited to hear about feedback.
HTX1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 11:52 PM   #3
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I ALWAYS send my watches to the RSC.

If the AD has a watchmaker in store they can also do the service if they are Rolex trained and have a Rolex parts account but many don't have even either of those.

For me .. RSC every time.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If the AD does not have a watchmaker on staff, they send it off to who-knows-where.

An AD watchmaker can do a good job, but they usually want the same RSC price and you do not get an RSC International Warranty or the nice pouch.

A good independent can also do a fine job, and you might also save a few bucks. Ask around about a good one, all of them are not.
Old 6 July 2019, 07:48 AM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If the AD does not have a watchmaker on staff, they send it off to who-knows-where.

An AD watchmaker can do a good job, but they usually want the same RSC price and you do not get an RSC International Warranty or the nice pouch.

A good independent can also do a fine job, and you might also save a few bucks. Ask around about a good one, all of them are not.
Rolex have changed how they certify external watchmakers. Many AD watchmakers do issue Rolex warranty cards with services.

If the AD has an “Authorised Service” plaque, you’re good to go. Even get a service pouch
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 08:05 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Rolex have changed how they certify external watchmakers. Many AD watchmakers do issue Rolex warranty cards with services.

If the AD has an “Authorised Service” plaque, you’re good to go. Even get a service pouch
Good to know that they have entered the 21st century.
Old 6 July 2019, 10:15 AM   #7
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

For my 1979 DD and 1984 DJ, my routine is to send them to RSC NY every 5 years. Professional work and haven’t had any problems. There’s also peace of mind that they’ve seen almost everything and have the ability to fix whatever comes up. If I had true collectible watches, maybe I’d do something different. But I don’t, so RSC NY works best for me.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 10:51 AM   #8
wareaglesig
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT, Daytona, Sub
I would absolutely suggest contacting Rolex Service Center directly and sending it in directly yourself. My last time around I brought it to a very large southeast chain AD and thought they were sending to to Rolex but many months after I received it back (and thanks to some informative posts here) I truly believe the AD sent it to their own watchmaker. Several signs I didn’t think about at the time. No green service pouch, no Rolex official warranty card, just the receipt from the dealer. Oh and they charged me the same price. Needless to say I don’t use them any longer for service or purchases. They lost out on three new Rolex purchases from me in the last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wareaglesig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 11:01 AM   #9
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My AD is authorized by Rolex and even gives the service pouch, but you get a store warranty, not a Rolex warranty,.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 12:53 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Service Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
My AD is authorized by Rolex and even gives the service pouch, but you get a store warranty, not a Rolex warranty,.

Yes for RolexUSA, the AD’s can become authorized to do service but the warranty is only good at that AD.

Quote:

I believe you may want to check if RolexUK RSC would honor a service warranty from the AD.

Of course policies on service can vary by country and distributor channel - but unless the AD remits a portion of the service fee to the RSC then it doesn’t fund the potential subsequent free repairs by RSC during the AD warranty period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Muxi
"TRF" Member

RSC service in my country is quite good. Fast turnover time (2 weeks) and very well done. Too bad they would not disclose the name of the actual watchmaker who serviced my WG Daytona. I still have an old DD36 and Sub that might benefit from an overhaul and re-lube. Both are around 25 years old but still keeping good time.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 05:29 PM   #12
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yes for RolexUSA, the AD’s can become authorized to do service but the warranty is only good at that AD.

I believe you may want to check if RolexUK RSC would honor a service warranty from the AD.

Of course policies on service can vary by country and distributor channel - but unless the AD remits a portion of the service fee to the RSC then it doesn’t fund the potential subsequent free repairs by RSC during the AD warranty period.

As a watchmaker who is not employed by Rolex but is authorised to issue green Rolex warranty cards, my facts are solid on the matter

It’s a relatively new roll out and will take several years for it to reach every watchmaker in the network. The program is currently in more countries than just the UK.
Old 6 July 2019, 06:51 PM   #13
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue_Chip View Post
I have a sub and datejust that are both needing service.
Pardon the question, but why are they both "needing" service?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 07:55 PM   #14
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
RSC, they can answer technical questions and have great feedback where I live.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 09:32 PM   #15
77T

Quote:
As a watchmaker who is not employed by Rolex but is authorised to issue green Rolex warranty cards, my facts are solid on the matter

It’s a relatively new roll out and will take several years for it to reach every watchmaker in the network. The program is currently in more countries than just the UK.

Thanks for clarifying.

So that we understand this new program better, are you stating that the warranty issued by the AD’s enrolled in the program would be honored worldwide by all RSC’s?

Or just the other AD’s in the same country as this warranty is issued?

Is it for the same full 2 years that RSC’s issue?

Old 6 July 2019, 09:45 PM   #16
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying.

So that we understand this new program better, are you stating that the warranty issued by the AD’s enrolled in the program would be honored worldwide by all RSC’s?

Or just the other AD’s in the same country as this warranty is issued?

Is it for the same full 2 years that RSC’s issue?

The warranty issued by ADs and watchmakers enrolled in this program is the exact same green laminated paper international two year warranty card that Rolex issues. It is honoured by all RSC and authorised service centres world wide. A workshop enrolled in this program is also authorised to undertake sales warranty work.

In Rolex’s eyes a watch serviced by an ‘Authorised service centre’ is no different to a watch serviced by ‘Rolex service centre’.

This is notably different from a watch serviced by an ‘accredited watchmaker’ (be it in an AD or an independent) where the warranty is only valid from the service provider. If they issue a warranty card at all (not all do), it is white not green, to differentiate them.

To maintain this status watchmakers are reassessed ever two years as well as the constant possibility of random test services from Rolex.

Hope this helps
Old 6 July 2019, 10:01 PM   #17
77T

That does help and a new direction that circles back to the days when Rolex certified some ADs as a Service Center. There was one in Florida for many years (not sure they are still operating).

Operationally, would a stolen watch get flagged when you enter the serial number into the Rolex system before work commences?

This is but a small matter in the grand scheme of things, however I still have 3 of my stolen Rolexes circulating. If this program becomes a new trend worldwide it could dilute the already small chance an RSC would get one.

Old 6 July 2019, 10:37 PM   #18
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
That does help and a new direction that circles back to the days when Rolex certified some ADs as a Service Center. There was one in Florida for many years (not sure they are still operating).

Operationally, would a stolen watch get flagged when you enter the serial number into the Rolex system before work commences?

This is but a small matter in the grand scheme of things, however I still have 3 of my stolen Rolexes circulating. If this program becomes a new trend worldwide it could dilute the already small chance an RSC would get one.

Detailed information for all watches handled are forwarded to Rolex for recording and checking. For (hopefully) obvious reasons I’m not going to be more specific than that.
Old 6 July 2019, 10:47 PM   #19
77T

Thanks and I’m all too familiar with the process here in USA.

The laws in each country vary so no details would apply universally.

Congrats on achieving the status. My watchmaker is Rolex and Omega certified and has dual parts accounts. The spot checks can be vexing.

For example, he had a storefront jewelry store in addition to his watchmaking shop in the back. During one visit the RolexUSA rep made him remove some pre-owned Rolex watches from showcase. The rep also made him remove some Rolex branded collateral I had gifted him for display.

As an AD you’ll not have that issue but new expectations popped up annually; it’s just part of the package.

Old 6 July 2019, 10:57 PM   #20
Ced4jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The warranty issued by ADs and watchmakers enrolled in this program is the exact same green laminated paper international two year warranty card that Rolex issues. It is honoured by all RSC and authorised service centres world wide. A workshop enrolled in this program is also authorised to undertake sales warranty work.

In Rolex’s eyes a watch serviced by an ‘Authorised service centre’ is no different to a watch serviced by ‘Rolex service centre’.

This is notably different from a watch serviced by an ‘accredited watchmaker’ (be it in an AD or an independent) where the warranty is only valid from the service provider. If they issue a warranty card at all (not all do), it is white not green, to differentiate them.

To maintain this status watchmakers are reassessed ever two years as well as the constant possibility of random test services from Rolex.

Hope this helps
Your posts regarding this are informative and very helpful - thanks!
Ced4jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 11:50 PM   #21
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I recently sent my 16710 off to service with an RSC approved watchmaker. Reason was that I wanted the tritium seconds hand repaired and RSC would’ve replaced all hands with luminova.

I even got an RSC service card so I’m happy.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote