The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2019, 12:03 PM   #1
Bobthe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
How to store your Rolex ?

My collection has a number of NOS & New Rolex timepieces.

Keen to learn the best way to store them to ensure they remain in the same condition, they all have B&P.

1) Am I better off keeping them in their original boxes in the safe ? Or placing them in a pelican watch case?

2) I plan to keep them unworn for at least 10 years, I’ve read that I should wind them every few months however I would rather not touch them at all. What should based on best practices?

3) Do I need to have them serviced if they are not in use?

Cheers.
Bobthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1) Rolex boxes are not storage boxes, they are presentation boxes. While the watch wouldn't likely suffer, the box may not be up to the task.

2) It's up to you. The point in winding every few months is to try and keep the oils in the same vicinity that they were designed to lubricate and protect. I don't think that there is verifiable research on what is right or wrong.

3) No service needed. A watch that is not being used is incurring zero wear. The only thing that will be degrading is the paints, gaskets, membranes, and lume matrix, but they should last a decade in a decent environment.
Old 14 September 2019, 12:58 PM   #3
grimlock525
"TRF" Member

4) Watches are made for WEARING!
grimlock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:06 PM   #4
brandog
Banned

Life is short, wear your watches. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, even less so 10 years.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Drpepper
"TRF" Member

Seems like this is an investment for you so if you do keep in a pelican case just be aware that some foams can trap moisture. Why not get a nice presentation box instead? As for running them every couple months I think that is a good idea esp if you don’t plan to wear at all in the 10 yr frame. That’s interesting debate. New rolexes kept unworn for 10 years vs sp500?
Drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Muxi
"TRF" Member

No service needed. I agree that a monthly wind would be good curating exercise. Keep it away from moisture and place several silica get sachets around it. That would preserve the stickers from degrading too much. Store the original boxes in a good plastic container with the papers and place some more silica gel sachets inside the container. Avoid placing the watches where material can adhere and melt into it.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:35 PM   #7
brigadoonb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Why not wear them and enjoy them for what they were made for?
brigadoonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:18 PM   #8
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
No service needed. I agree that a monthly wind would be good curating exercise. Keep it away from moisture and place several silica get sachets around it. That would preserve the stickers from degrading too much. Store the original boxes in a good plastic container with the papers and place some more silica gel sachets inside the container. Avoid placing the watches where material can adhere and melt into it.
No need for silica gel packets. Just find a large ziplock and place a watch in its "coffin" inside with b&p.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (197.0 KB, 1035 views)
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:33 PM   #9
GBD
"TRF" Member

Suspended in Jello is what works best for me.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:40 PM   #10
gttime
"TRF" Member

Buy and hold stocks and wear watches. Much easier.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:45 PM   #11
thejerseyrock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
Suspended in Jello is what works best for me.
Nah... if you really want to avoid all scratches and any signs of use or aging, you need to freeze in liquid nitrogen

thejerseyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:47 PM   #12
kg4fxg
"TRF" Member

Watch: DATEJUST
Case

I was going to try one of these? They say sleeve not good as watch back should not touch clasp. Scratches and extra strain on watch?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
kg4fxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:59 PM   #13
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

The title of this post is wrong.
It should be "How to store speculative goods?"
It is not "your Rolex" if you never wear it.

This seems just silly to me.

What's the difference in value for a 10 year old NOS example versus a 10 year old excellent condition example??

I say store them on your left wrist or flip them to someone who will.

And if you don't know enough about how to store these watches properly, then maybe you're not investing in the right commodity.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Mine is stored in a Grand Seiko box at the moment. I am wearing the GS now because it is a quartz watch and I currently can't wear an automatic for health reasons.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 04:53 PM   #15
Oaker1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Life is short, wear your watches. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, even less so 10 years.
*This
Oaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 05:09 PM   #16
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I stored my Sub in its original box in 2006. Pulled it out of storage this year, (remembered to wind it, not just bang it on a table and shake it about as i did prior to learning so much on this forum). Its running fine. 13 years never been touched and working spot on.

However i will say the box was a bugger to open, the lips of the green case had stuck together. Had to slide a butter knife in the gap to open it up.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 06:03 PM   #17
Driftwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttime View Post
Buy and hold stocks and wear watches. Much easier.
This! If this is your your investment strategy you are in trouble.. wear the watch and get good at day trading!
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 06:31 PM   #18
Bobthe
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback and criticisms.

Let’s say half of my collection is for now which I enjoy daily and the rest is for later to either treat as an investment or simply for me to take the stickers off at anytime and enjoy. Having that option is a good problem to have. I’m definitely not a flipper.

Keen to see pictures of how some of the collectors take care of their loved timepieces...
Old 14 September 2019, 06:47 PM   #19
Toutoune
"TRF" Member

Troll much?
Toutoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 07:17 PM   #20
watchmaker
TechXpert

I advise you to expect any watch you store for 10 years to require servicing when it finally emerges from hibernation. Oils degrade and migrate. If it works correctly then that is a bonus for you but certainly don't expect that to be the case.

As for occasionally winding it - that will help to an extent. But you are going to have to wind it frequently for it to have any lasting benefit to the oils which means you are going to have a 10 year old watch that has been running during that period and will possibly still need a service.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 08:35 PM   #21
Bulldozer
"TRF" Member

Those watches are probably sad and having an existential crisis right now though.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 09:12 PM   #22
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I advise you to expect any watch you store for 10 years to require servicing when it finally emerges from hibernation. Oils degrade and migrate. If it works correctly then that is a bonus for you but certainly don't expect that to be the case.

As for occasionally winding it - that will help to an extent. But you are going to have to wind it frequently for it to have any lasting benefit to the oils which means you are going to have a 10 year old watch that has been running during that period and will possibly still need a service.
This is great info. So, if one were to buy a new watch and put it away for an extended period of time, is the best course of action then to just leave it be (with understanding that it will eventually need a service)?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:39 PM   #23
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
This is great info. So, if one were to buy a new watch and put it away for an extended period of time, is the best course of action then to just leave it be (with understanding that it will eventually need a service)?
Perhaps a once-a-month winding won’t tax a new movement too much. I’ve had watches sit for years yet still run within COSC now. I’m curious too
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:22 PM   #24
Bobthe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post

Appreciate your input.

What would you recommend as the best practice maintenance procedures to ensure one doesn’t ruin such timepieces? (Monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly)

I am assuming that you are recommending a service at the 10 year point as a minimum - worn or unworn?
Old 14 September 2019, 11:28 PM   #25
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Wear them as much as you can, just take them to a pawnbroker when on holiday or away for extended periods - security assured for minimal cost.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:28 PM   #26
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

Watches sit at AD’s for years and are sold new without servicing, and once purchased the consumer wears the watch for years without servicing the piece. The RSC consensus, as well as many here, is to service the watch when it’s broken or isn’t keeping good time. Otherwise, store and then wear as usual.
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:30 PM   #27
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthe View Post
My collection has a number of NOS & New Rolex timepieces.

Keen to learn the best way to store them to ensure they remain in the same condition, they all have B&P.

1) Am I better off keeping them in their original boxes in the safe ? Or placing them in a pelican watch case?

2) I plan to keep them unworn for at least 10 years, I’ve read that I should wind them every few months however I would rather not touch them at all. What should based on best practices?

3) Do I need to have them serviced if they are not in use?

Cheers.

Brother what are you doing?? Huh?
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:43 PM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The current Rolex market may not be the market 10 years from now and moving that stuff may be a challenge. No one ever knows but the allure of connected devices continues it challenge to the traditional watch market.
Wear and enjoy these watches or sell them would be the best advice I could give. This is a very strong market at the moment. Seize the opportunity as you do not intend to enjoy the watches for the use intended.

To answer the question store the watches against soft material in a place where they are not easily found by a burglar. Watches that 10 Bar or greater are not that particular where they rest.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 01:48 AM   #29
mkmk
"TRF" Member

Geez, The OP wants to know how to store them. Not weather you think he should wear them or not. They are HIS watches. He can do as he wants with them. You have no idea of his life experiences and motives and even if you did your "just wear them. Life is short etc." answers are as relevant as telling him the color of you car. His question is how to store them nothing more.
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 03:20 AM   #30
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
Geez, The OP wants to know how to store them. Not weather you think he should wear them or not. They are HIS watches. He can do as he wants with them. You have no idea of his life experiences and motives and even if you did your "just wear them. Life is short etc." answers are as relevant as telling him the color of you car. His question is how to store them nothing more.
Well said.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote