The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2019, 02:21 AM   #1
shimps1
"TRF" Member

New Watch Care/Service

I have a DJ41 coming in, and this will be my first significant watch. I am curious what the thoughts are from the community about how often to service it, and how to keep it looking as good as possible. I will be wearing it nearly daily, so it is bound to get dinged up, but tips I can do to help minimize that would be appreciated!

I saw somewhere that there are ceramic inserts that can prevent bracelet stretching? It was in reference to a DD I think. Is that something that can be added to a bracelet, or do they just come on the higher end ones?

Is there a standard for service intervals? I know the length of time has been lengthened over what is was in the past.
shimps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:27 AM   #2
mjr128
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
The average/recommended service time is 10 years however most on here will service at either the 7-10 year range or simply when it stops keeping COSC time or something goes wrong.

In terms of keeping it in good condition then you are limited as it will get dinged and scratched - it’s unavoidable. Wrist awareness helps but enjoy it in the knowledge it can be returned to new condition at service time.
mjr128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:32 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
I have a DJ41 coming in, and this will be my first significant watch. I am curious what the thoughts are from the community about how often to service it, and how to keep it looking as good as possible. I will be wearing it nearly daily, so it is bound to get dinged up, but tips I can do to help minimize that would be appreciated!

I saw somewhere that there are ceramic inserts that can prevent bracelet stretching? It was in reference to a DD I think. Is that something that can be added to a bracelet, or do they just come on the higher end ones?

Is there a standard for service intervals? I know the length of time has been lengthened over what is was in the past.
Congrats.

First, simply don't ding it. Wear a larger watch like a Seiko Sumo to get yourself used to the size and whether your lifestyle will damage the watch.

Your watch comes with a 5yr warranty and will come with some care and maint info. You can also go to the Rolex site for additional service related answers.

The forum will give you a mix of anecdotal advice and possibly lead to even more questions.

Try to not concern yourself with 'bracelet stretch' or aftermarket items to avoid wear and tear. Gold is softer than SS so the DD rationale doesn't apply to your new one.

There are also so many variables which age a watch faster than the next and it won't matter anyway. With normal use it'll last longer than you will. The main thing is soak it water with a bit of shampoo every couple months or so. Or as often as you like. Its part of the fun in my opinion.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:49 AM   #4
shimps1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Congrats.

First, simply don't ding it. Wear a larger watch like a Seiko Sumo to get yourself used to the size and whether your lifestyle will damage the watch.

Your watch comes with a 5yr warranty and will come with some care and maint info. You can also go to the Rolex site for additional service related answers.

The forum will give you a mix of anecdotal advice and possibly lead to even more questions.

Try to not concern yourself with 'bracelet stretch' or aftermarket items to avoid wear and tear. Gold is softer than SS so the DD rationale doesn't apply to your new one.

There are also so many variables which age a watch faster than the next and it won't matter anyway. With normal use it'll last longer than you will. The main thing is soak it water with a bit of shampoo every couple months or so. Or as often as you like. Its part of the fun in my opinion.

Thanks! So that is typically the recommended way to keep it clean at home? Maybe use a toothbrush to agitate in the crevices?
shimps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:49 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

All any Rolex needs is regular washing in soap and water,plus normal routine service all dings scratches left to normal 7-10 year service only then it will last a lifetime.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:57 AM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I'm in the no service camp until it stops running 10, 15 or 20 years.

Don't bother about swirls and scratches, they will all blend in and give it a uniform appearance.
A fluted bezel is less likely to show scratches vs a smooth one.

Don't overthink it, wear it proudly and most of all enjoy it
Old 16 September 2019, 05:00 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Just wear it, clean it regularly and bring it in for service when it doesn't work anymore or isn't keeping good time.

And remember, it is just a watch.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:12 AM   #8
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:

You just got the watch brother, don't start worry about servicing it already. Enjoy it, but take care of it. The watch should look and run like new for many years to come. It doesn't need a service unless it is not working properly.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:15 AM   #9
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
You have an expensive watch, wear it and enjoy it, however, it is an expensive watch so digging the garden, building a wall, you get the picture might be better carried out with something cheap and cheerful on your wrist.

Have the watch serviced on a regular basis and the watch will be ticking away long after you.

But most importantly, enjoy the watch and wear in good health
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:12 AM   #10
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:

Service the watch when it is no longer working correctly. It will let you know. When you clean your watch, just take care not to use cloths that have had the chance to accumulate grit that will scratch it. Fresh sealed alcohol wipes are what I use.

Ceramic inserts are for precious metal which is softer than steel. They can not be added to a stainless steel bracelet.

There is no fixed service interval. Your watch is not a car and does not need fixed regular service.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:18 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Thanks! So that is typically the recommended way to keep it clean at home? Maybe use a toothbrush to agitate in the crevices?
You got it.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:23 AM   #12
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Should be fine for at least 10 years. I don't like having my watches opened so I would not service it until it needs it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:29 AM   #13
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
I had my Rolex serviced after 18 years and had no movement problems
They just replaced the crown and gaskets
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote