The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 September 2019, 05:06 AM   #1
RobsterCraw
Banned

Waiting List Frustration

I'm a total Rolex newbie that has been researching 'what exactly I want for awhile now. This will be the biggest purchase of my life, besides my home. I have done well and worked hard in my almost 50 years and have decided to treat myself. Yes, even my cars have been cheaper that this purchase. I have decided to go with the new Sea Dweller, as the Sub is a little small on my wrist. The red font on the Sea Dweller has me salivating. What I did not research is the waiting list and the "hook" you seem to need to have with the AD. It still frustrates me that you cant walk into a store and purchase the Rolex of your choosing with a pocket full of money. I didn't realize that so many people could afford these high end watches. So....here i sit on 9 different waiting lists in 3 states. I have even solicited the help of relatives to put their names on waiting lists as well in the hopes they find one before I do. I guess I'm just here to vent. Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with. Ill continue to wait as I would only like to pay MSRP and not a premium. If it goes beyond a 6 week waiting period Im afraid Ill talk myself out of the purchase.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:03 AM   #2
mattidk
"TRF" Member

6 weeks waiting... before giving up?
i have been waiting since 2017, and no sign of anything, recently AD told that only VVIP customers can have a chance to purchase any Rolex sport otherwise for walk-in customers there are almost zero chance, and waiting list is not realistic.
Consider get it at premium if you really like the watch and can pay for it, it's not as double list price as GMT model, but otherwise go for other models.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:07 AM   #3
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Having family/friends arbitrarily getting on waiting lists (which don’t exist) will do you no benefit.

You’re/They’re either going to have to buy something at the AD or pay the premium at a Grey.

The SD43 is extremely rare, I was just asking about it yesterday and was told they get 2 per year.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:16 AM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsterCraw View Post
I'm a total Rolex newbie that has been researching 'what exactly I want for awhile now. This will be the biggest purchase of my life, besides my home. I have done well and worked hard in my almost 50 years and have decided to treat myself. Yes, even my cars have been cheaper that this purchase. I have decided to go with the new Sea Dweller, as the Sub is a little small on my wrist. The red font on the Sea Dweller has me salivating. What I did not research is the waiting list and the "hook" you seem to need to have with the AD. It still frustrates me that you cant walk into a store and purchase the Rolex of your choosing with a pocket full of money. I didn't realize that so many people could afford these high end watches. So....here i sit on 9 different waiting lists in 3 states. I have even solicited the help of relatives to put their names on waiting lists as well in the hopes they find one before I do. I guess I'm just here to vent. Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with. Ill continue to wait as I would only like to pay MSRP and not a premium. If it goes beyond a 6 week waiting period Im afraid Ill talk myself out of the purchase.
If you have financially done well and have cash in hand just realize life is too short to play the waiting games at ADs. You have a great TRF seller in your state Takuya, and it would not hurt to reach out to him by PM or phone and see if he can source you a watch and quote you a price. Most of these AD "lists" are just bogus and the guys that spend the big $$ have priority over any one time customer who walks in off the street.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:22 AM   #5
TheoMich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling montbril
I’m in the same boat as you, I’m actually on vacay in Miami and have been visiting grey dealers all week, I can’t seem to pull the trigger and pay these guys double on a watch. I’ve been visiting AD a as well and nothing. Almost got a Sea-Dweller yest but someone beat me to it from a AD
Old 16 September 2019, 06:24 AM   #6
GeoffS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
My advice to you is be present at these ADs. Pop in for a chat each time you are passing. Be friendly. Ask about the watch. They WILL remember you if you do that. And when they get one in stock, you just may get the call. Popular opinion is that there are no lists. Stock comes in and is allocated across the sales staff. They then call whomever they fancy from their contacts. If you have been in inquiring for several weeks / months, it just might be you they call.

Putting your name on "a list", having never been a customer of theirs before, and never going back to that dealer and showing face is no strategy. You will never get the watch that way.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:49 AM   #7
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

you gotta pay to play in this Rolex market.

Yes, being on multiple waiting increases your odds however, that can't be all you do. you gotta start buying something and building some rapport / relationship.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:57 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It sounds like you did your do diligence as far as getting your name out there. Hopefully you have at least a slim shot at getting a call. If you dont I wouldn't stress over it when you can get a NIB example for @2k more then msrp with no tax.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 07:00 AM   #9
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
If you can afford it go grey (Takuya). MSRP is just a social construct, making up a rule that you will only buy at MSRP makes no sense in the supply and demand world we live in. Buy now and in a month's time you will forget what you paid and you will have longer to enjoy the watch.

Quote:
Old 16 September 2019, 07:13 AM   #10
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
If 6 weeks is the limit of your patience, then you might as well save yourself the frustration and get something else now. There are plenty of shopping mall brands you can get without any wait.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:15 AM   #11
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoMich View Post
I’m in the same boat as you, I’m actually on vacay in Miami and have been visiting grey dealers all week, I can’t seem to pull the trigger and pay these guys double on a watch. I’ve been visiting AD a as well and nothing. Almost got a Sea-Dweller yest but someone beat me to it from a AD
It's not double. Most of the grey dealers are at an 18-20% premium. If you're planning on keeping the watch, which is sounds like you will, and you don't have the patience to wait then I'd at least consider paying the premium. If you have the cash in hand, it seems a true lack of patience strongly outweighs your love for owning the watch.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:29 AM   #12
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Source a mark 1 and buy from grey. The mark up on the reference isn’t bad compared to a Daytona or a few others. If you buy from a grey out of state, not paying sales tax will take a large chunk out of what you would’ve paid retail anyway.

It’s a great reference and you’ve picked a great one imo.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:38 AM   #13
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
After taxes, the difference between AD and grey is roughly only 10%. If you don’t have any purchase history I would go grey or buy a different brand. Otherwise I think you will end up waiting a long time.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:39 AM   #14
tigres
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12660 DSSD-D Blue
I very much share your frustration, as I waited years to buy at retail. I will say, not knowing the game, it can be done. I posted my first time here today after successfully sourcing my watch. That said, you do have to have patience, really. Or as others have said, pay a premium, which I was not willing to do. Good luck!
Old 16 September 2019, 07:45 AM   #15
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure what the rest of the world is like but here in the UK the SD43 is tough to get through an AD but the grey market price isn’t anywhere near as eye watering as other sought after references. £2,000 over list will get you one which when you bear in mind that if and when a price increase is implemented it will probably go up £1000 at RRP. I’d go grey on this model, it’s still relatively accessible.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:46 AM   #16
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

https://davidsw.com/watches/rolex-wa...seadweller-15/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 07:52 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
Old 16 September 2019, 07:57 AM   #18
RobsterCraw
Banned

Thx for the advice ya'll. I guess ya'll are right about going gray and paying the premium. I could deal with the 10 - 15% or so premium...it's the authenticity issue that scares me going gray. I just feel safer going with an AD, but I am aware lots of grays are reputable dealers. Ill look into the classifieds here as well.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:58 AM   #19
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
$11,350 MSRP

DavidSW unworn $14,975

So - a 31-32% mark up. When you consider that you would also be paying tax on an MSRP purchase (unless out of state purchase)...I think the way is clear for you unless you like all this drama and frustration.

Do this: Picture yourself at Thanksgiving carving your family turkey with your new SD on your wrist...nice Holiday I'd say!

Ben
Old 16 September 2019, 08:20 AM   #20
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
The chase is half the fun. Good Luck and don't give in.
Old 16 September 2019, 08:30 AM   #21
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I don’t blame you for insisting on MSRP. Finances is probably not an issue for you either, therefore going gray won’t be a problem. Your choice OP. It’s not like you need this watch to live. You could keep waiting. Or you can buy now. Either way. Best of luck to you.
Old 16 September 2019, 08:32 AM   #22
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thx for the advice ya'll. I guess ya'll are right about going gray and paying the premium. I could deal with the 10 - 15% or so premium...it's the authenticity issue that scares me going gray. I just feel safer going with an AD, but I am aware lots of grays are reputable dealers. Ill look into the classifieds here as well.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about w/ DavidSW. Just as good as an AD. Except the price. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 08:39 AM   #23
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:

You have to go to the AD's not just call. They probably don't even write your name down over the phone (they probably also throw your name away when you visit in person too lol). Maybe go pre ceramic pre owned?
Old 16 September 2019, 08:42 AM   #24
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Since you’re new to the game you’re going to have to pay to play. ADs playing strange games with their so called waiting lists. And with no history you’re in Rolex limbo. You should probably pay the extra $ and go gray. The trusted sellers on TRF are who I’d recommend particularly David SW
Old 16 September 2019, 08:45 AM   #25
ibz_s_b
"TRF" Member

6 weeks is your limit???? lmao dude be prepared to wait YEARS and that's even if you're lucky!

Welcome to Rolex 2019
Old 16 September 2019, 08:51 AM   #26
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoMich View Post
If you don’t mind me asking, what greys did you go see?do they have storefronts? I’m going around the new year for vacay myself and would love to visit some of these guys. Thanks
Old 16 September 2019, 09:10 AM   #27
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
$11,350 MSRP

DavidSW unworn $14,975

So - a 31-32% mark up. When you consider that you would also be paying tax on an MSRP purchase (unless out of state purchase)...I think the way is clear for you unless you like all this drama and frustration.

Do this: Picture yourself at Thanksgiving carving your family turkey with your new SD on your wrist...nice Holiday I'd say!

Ben
This.

Go gray, and set yourself free!
Old 16 September 2019, 09:24 AM   #28
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

The wait makes the watch even more special!

I ordered a DJ41 (blue, smooth, on jubilee) 17 weeks ago. Yesterday my AD informed me it just arrived. I have also been “salivating” at every pic and video I have seen of blue DJ41s on the TRF/net/YouTube. To make he wait even more painful, I paid in full for my watch weeks ago.

I STILL haven’t even received my new watch - I am currently in a neighboring state of my AD so they will ship it to me tomorrow (Monday) for Tuesday delivery.

Did the wait suck? Heck yeah! With I be be even prouder to wear and possess my new blue DJ41 when it arrives vs. just prancing into the AD and walking out with it? Heck yeah X 2!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 09:27 AM   #29
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
or wait for the market to crash...
Old 16 September 2019, 09:28 AM   #30
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

MSRP in the US is $11,350. After just 2 minutes of searching there is one BNIB for $14,275. Hardly double. You can spend $2,900 more or wait 2 years. Take your pick. Another 2nd hand from an unknown seller but 'newish' $13,950. Another BNIB $14,475.

Compared to many other Rolex watches, pretty getable.
Closed Thread