The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2019, 09:42 AM   #31
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Pay the extra for the gray dealer.
Or walk into your AD with cash in hand and flop it on the table.

If they have one in the back it will see the light of day.
Old 16 September 2019, 10:02 AM   #32
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
Honestly time to look else where. Other brands will treat you better.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
Old 16 September 2019, 10:07 AM   #33
RobsterCraw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackLexus17 View Post
Pay the extra for the gray dealer.

Believe me....I tried that. Had 10k in cash in my pocket as bait. No dice.
Old 16 September 2019, 10:09 AM   #34
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
Waiting lists do exist. I was number 21 for a Daytona and got the call last week out of the blue after 3 years. Advantage of living in a small town. My previous purchases were by my wife over a number of years. A platinum wedding band and a Tudor watch
Old 16 September 2019, 10:20 AM   #35
DTap
"TRF" Member

Wait the 6 weeks and see how you feel. If yo still want one make a decision to wait or go grey.

If it won’t hold your interest for 6 weeks, do you really want it?
Old 16 September 2019, 10:32 AM   #36
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsterCraw View Post

Haha never done it, but not a bad idea.

I’m sure if you put down 40 or 50k their eyes would light up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 10:49 AM   #37
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I’d go grey on this one. Negotiate a bnib with a trusted seller. Life is about specialization. Be great at what you do, and for the rest, allow other people who are great at what they do to earn their coin too.
Old 16 September 2019, 11:27 AM   #38
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
6 weeks??? i've been on some lists for 2 years! lol
Old 16 September 2019, 11:31 AM   #39
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
I’d go grey on this one. Negotiate a bnib with a trusted seller. Life is about specialization. Be great at what you do, and for the rest, allow other people who are great at what they do to earn their coin too.

Yes! ^^^ THIS ^^^!!!!!
Old 16 September 2019, 11:48 AM   #40
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Welcome to TRF. Nothing wrong with a lightly used one. Thanh is one of the top sellers here. You’d have it by Tuesday. Good luck with the hunt.

https://www.takuyawatches.com/produc...anty-full-set/
TRF #139960
Old 16 September 2019, 12:22 PM   #41
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Welcome to TRF. If you’re frustrated with the wait you’re more than welcome to buy it from DavidSW or one of the other trusted sellers, you’ll have it at your doorstep the following morning.
Old 16 September 2019, 12:47 PM   #42
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Don't go gray; it only perpetuates the problem. Pop into your local ADs, become a fixture. Talk watches with them. Not all are catering only to the whales.

I had a long conversation with a local AD about a BLNR just yesterday. She let me know they, while they receive them infrequently, they do attempt to sell to those who are most interested in the watch itself, rather than the hype or potential for profit. She seemed as fed up with the current situation as the rest of us.

Talk with those whose lists you're on; they may feel similarly to my AD.
Old 16 September 2019, 01:20 PM   #43
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
You can also look for a private seller, the name on the purchase receipt will match the warranty card and you may get a little more $ off the price. The resellers are third parties which makes the price higher, also how do they know where the watch comes from? Many on TRF like Takuya and Davidsw as a reseller, but I have never heard how they validate the authenticity of the watches?
Old 16 September 2019, 01:26 PM   #44
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Buy it if you want it.
The premium isn’t too bad.

If you wanted a Daytona Ceramic or New Pepsi then that’s a whole other story....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 03:29 PM   #45
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
As others have said, go grey; or explore some of the wonderful dive watches that Omega makes
Old 16 September 2019, 03:37 PM   #46
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
OP, there are probably thousands of other customers who have 10k in their pocket also waiting for the same watch. The old adage - "customer is king" may be applicable for an average or undesirable product, but for Rolex's sport watches, I think AD is the king now because they can choose who they want to amongst the thousands.
Old 16 September 2019, 04:04 PM   #47
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Welcome to TRF. Nothing wrong with a lightly used one. Thanh is one of the top sellers here. You’d have it by Tuesday. Good luck with the hunt.

https://www.takuyawatches.com/produc...anty-full-set/
+1 on this one. I'd grab it if I were you. These watches are made to last a lifetime and this one looks almost brand new and certainly looks no worse than one you would buy brand new from an AD will look after you wear it for a couple of months.
In a few years from now there's no difference if your watch is 2017 or 2019. They will both look the same and will last the same.

Like others have said 6 weeks is kind of a pipe dream to get a watch from an AD with no prior history. Looks like a no brainer if you really are lusting for this watch which sounds like you are if you got friends and family out hunting for the watch for you.
Old 16 September 2019, 04:15 PM   #48
nuts070
"TRF" Member

You're on some list, not on "The List". 6 weeks is a blink of an eye in the wait for a sports Rolex. Try rather to love some other brand.
Old 16 September 2019, 04:16 PM   #49
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
Quote:

Bad idea.....

Quote:
Yeah, doesn't work, does it....

The AD will immediately not like you for doing a stunt like that. If the AD doesn't like you, no watch.

Quote:
Haha never done it, but not a bad idea.

I’m sure if you put down 40 or 50k their eyes would light up.
Nope, they will just see you as a douche bag. A heavy hitter would never flash 50g's to buy an $11k watch......

Again, if they don't like you, no watch.
Old 16 September 2019, 04:52 PM   #50
Weasel20
"TRF" Member

Rolex games are really a waste of time and energy for new customers. You either have to buy a bunch of crap you don't want to need to get access to a stainless piece or wait for months/years kissing the ass of the AD regularly. My time is frankly more valuable than the added cost of going grey so I just bought my pieces from grey market dealers here on the forum. Both were brand new, stickers and warranty cards.
Old 16 September 2019, 05:05 PM   #51
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I'm a total Rolex newbie that has been researching 'what exactly I want for awhile now. This will be the biggest purchase of my life, besides my home. I have done well and worked hard in my almost 50 years and have decided to treat myself. Yes, even my cars have been cheaper that this purchase. I have decided to go with the new Sea Dweller, as the Sub is a little small on my wrist. The red font on the Sea Dweller has me salivating. What I did not research is the waiting list and the "hook" you seem to need to have with the AD. It still frustrates me that you cant walk into a store and purchase the Rolex of your choosing with a pocket full of money. I didn't realize that so many people could afford these high end watches. So....here i sit on 9 different waiting lists in 3 states. I have even solicited the help of relatives to put their names on waiting lists as well in the hopes they find one before I do. I guess I'm just here to vent. Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with. Ill continue to wait as I would only like to pay MSRP and not a premium. If it goes beyond a 6 week waiting period Im afraid Ill talk myself out of the purchase.
Welcome. You’re extremely late to the Rolex party and it’s a sellers market on these steel sports pieces.

However when you compare the grey premium on the sea dweller compared to the BLNR, Hulk and Pepsi GMT and others, it’s a much smaller premium against MRSP.

You’ll either have to play the long game, focus on an AD, spend some money, jewellery for family members, other watches and become a good customer, or spend a few $$$ more and go to Davidsw or similar. The issue is you could wait and wait and wait.....

Good luck.
Old 16 September 2019, 05:11 PM   #52
macrossVFX222
"TRF" Member

Pretty much given up on waiting for an SS Daytona and will go with a PM one (started a newbie thread yesterday for advice and got some great ones here).

Its a seller's game... it wasn't quite as bad a few years back.... but now if I see something I like in the AD I go for it right away, even if it is not one of those super sought after models
Old 16 September 2019, 06:18 PM   #53
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
-Slapping $ on the counter won't work. You are paying for a 10K watch. Who doesn't have 10K in this world? Nothing special. You put down 100K they're going to question if you came to that legitimately or just playing stupid games; in that case you'll get stupid prizes (i.e. stupid answers)
-Waiting 6 weeks to see how you feel? 6 weeks goes past and then...? Nothing.
-Talking to an AD and trying to become friends with them and tell them you're really really reallyyyyyyyy into an SS Rolex hoping they'll give in and sell you one - Problem here is that they're running a business. Why wouldn't it be more viable for them to sell the SS with a PM? More $ in the coffers to pay for overheads and new inventory.

Go grey. And if you think about authenticity, then go with a reputable grey. Nothing wrong with that. You can even see where they picked up the watch from that you're purchasing (back of warranty card)
Old 16 September 2019, 06:19 PM   #54
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Its your money that is trying to escape your pocket, how you choose to spend the money is up to you.

If you spend some time reading this and other forums you will find the pessimistic stories - waited 3 years, not heard anything, got fed up bought grey cost me an extra xx% but I am happy, blah, blah, blah. There are also the optimistic stories whereby someone goes into the AD, has a chat over coffee, lets them know that they after XYZ and can the AD let them know if one becomes available and surprisingly a short while later a call is made as a watch is now available.

Some times it is pure luck, right place right time, someone has just turned the watch down, you walk in and the watch is in the AD's hand.

It's up to you to decide, go grey and spend extra, only to read a post a short time later about someone going into your AD and coming out with your watch as it had been declined. Or you can wait and listen to all those people going on about how great their new grey sourced watch is which only cost <insert %> above the retail price.

We can't make the call it has to be your decision, we can offer our opinions - AD / Grey, we can offer reasons why - AD is my choice as I want my name on the card whilst others aren't bothered by that.

Me, well i'll only buy from an AD, I will not go down the grey route, I will only pay retail price not the inflated prices in the grey market. If my next watch is going to be a 10 year wait then that's fine I have to decide wait or choose something else, or maybe buy something else, wear it and in 10 years use as part payment for the grail watch.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:24 PM   #55
James Nye 1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 White
I really don't think lists exist. It is really down to the sales staff to decide when and whom get the watches.
Old 16 September 2019, 06:30 PM   #56
grimlock525
"TRF" Member

OP: I have done well and worked hard in my almost 50 years and have decided to treat myself.

OP: 6 week wait, unacceptable
Old 16 September 2019, 06:44 PM   #57
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock525 View Post
OP: I have done well and worked hard in my almost 50 years and have decided to treat myself.

OP: 6 week wait, unacceptable
Old 16 September 2019, 06:53 PM   #58
58junior
"TRF" Member

Buy an omega 600m. Sometimes people want something because they can’t have it.
Old 16 September 2019, 08:38 PM   #59
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
Waiting lists do exist. I was number 21 for a Daytona and got the call last week out of the blue after 3 years. Advantage of living in a small town. My previous purchases were by my wife over a number of years. A platinum wedding band and a Tudor watch
Reese?
Old 16 September 2019, 09:43 PM   #60
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Go grey to skip the line.
Closed Thread