The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2019, 04:51 AM   #1
Soarteeth
"TRF" Member

My Rolex story

My Rolex story started with a Oyster Perpetual as a high school graduation gift from my parents. Being a 17 year old beach bum I didn't appreciated the value of the gift at that time, that is until I lost it while water skiing a few months later.

Too scared to tell my parents what had happened, I avoided any mention of the watch. I worked the rest of the summer and put together most of my savings to buy a replacement. I wore this watch during my college years and by the time I finished grad school it was pretty beat up.

A little over a year after my graduation my parents were planning a trip to Hong Kong to visit relatives and my mom was going to see a jewler she knew. I decided to buy my own graduation present this time and had my mother bring back a Datejust for me.

Fast forward 20 years and our 18 year old son was tied up into an addiction problem and started stealing from us. We were able to confront him about his addiction quickly enough and get him the help he needed to stop it and he has been clean for the last 15 years. Sadly my Rolex was one of the first things missing, but it was a small price to pay for his 15 years of sobriety.

Early on I used to think of that watch as a symbol of my failure as a father in raising my son, reminding me of what he'd taken from his mother and I. Over the past few years I've been able to lessen the stigma attached to it and put it behind me.

I recently retired and decided again to buy myself a watch (after finishing all the post retirement projects my wife had planned). The world of Rolex has certainly changed over the past 30-40 years. I went into the local AD (SoCal) to try on a Datejust 41 and a Sea-Dweller which of course the didn't have either one. The very nice sales lady was happy to put me on their waiting list with no idea as to how long it might be.

What would you suggest as to how to purchase a Rolex? I'm looking at either a Datejust 41 with a black face, Jubilee (gold and steel), fluted bezel or a Sea-Dweller Oystersteel.

Should I place my name on as many AD lists as possible andi wait it out or check the classified ads daily on this forum? Would you take a trip overseas and try to find one in Hong Kong or Japan? I'm not in a big hurry but want to make sure I'm paying for the real thing and not run into problems in the future. I prefer BNIB or close to it, and the best $$ possible.

Thanks in advance
Soarteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Frank98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 6694
There is nothing wrong with visiting other AD's, asking them for the watches or joining the waitlist.
Frank98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 06:51 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
First of all, welcome to the forum

Congratulations to your son, it’s not easy and I’m happy to hear he’s doing well.

As for your watch purchase, I’d work through an AD. I wouldn’t think the DJ would take too long, but the SD might be more difficult to get.

Best of luck
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
I'd look around in your area and go on a list...waiting shouldn't be too long.
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 09:10 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Welcome! Quite the story, and I'm happy that your son has been sober for so long now!

Best of luck with sourcing your Rolex, I think you shouldn't have too much trouble with the DJ41.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 09:20 PM   #6
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Thanks for sharing the story - not easy - and good luck finding your Rolex!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:44 AM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for sharing your story, I’m sure it wasn’t easy to type.

Besides AD hunting, another option to see both watches in person and try them on (to help you decide which you prefer) would be to find a trusted seller in your area who will meet you in person or who has a brick and mortar store. Then depending on price you can decide whether to buy from a TS or wait it out on the waiting lists.

Good luck w your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:53 AM   #8
M45
Banned

Lost a watch, not a son. Seems like a fair trade.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 11:29 PM   #9
Dbay118
"TRF" Member

Go to nearby stores and get on their lists but pick one you enjoyed the staff at the most and stop in twice a month if possible to show you really are local and serious and not a flipper. That’s what I did, didn’t take a long to get a call from a SA that knew what I wanted based off of us just talking when I came in to chat. Of course it doesn’t hurt to buy other things to be a “existing” customer. Just don’t buy anything you wouldn’t be buying anyways
Dbay118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 12:21 AM   #10
Tlon
"TRF" Member

Very nice story!
Tlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 11:06 AM   #11
ademarco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I’m in Socal as well and was told by local AD boutique if I bought the day date chocolate dial, then I could get pretty much any watch I desired. The SA stated they don’t have a list, but order based on purchase history, which seems to be mostly PM, that shows you support the AD.

I told him I understood how business works since their overhead must be high and thanked him for his honesty. He explained that if I ever want to get a watch with my name on the card, then I would need to start building the relationship with the chocolate dial day date. Later I went online and bought what I wanted from a trusted dealer here on TRF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 11:32 AM   #12
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

good job. that is a bunch of BS from a sales associate. not everyone has nearly 40k CAD to purchase a day date before getting a ss model or tt model. which one did you get from the dealer on TRF?
mendoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 11:34 AM   #13
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear you and your family are doing well.

I wouldn't imagine you would wait long for two tone DJ.

I hope you find what you are looking for soon!
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 11:46 AM   #14
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Been there and done that. My son graduates from Arizona State in December. 1-2 classes at a time.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 12:32 PM   #15
Soarteeth
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I made the rounds in my area and stopped at a couple more AD's and called some others. Got pretty much the same response "give us your name and we'll call you". But at one store, for the DJ 41 if I put down a 50% deposit I could order what I wanted and I would receive the watch in 6-8 wks 12 at the most. The SA seemed surprised other AD's weren't offering to place orders. Left on a short vacation today so I have a week to decide.

Can't believe the SA would try to basically extort you into buying a watch you didn't want to "build a relationship". All the SA's I talked to were professional and frank about not knowing when or what they might be receiving (other than at the one AD). Glad you got what you wanted!
Old 23 September 2019, 06:24 PM   #16
James Nye 1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 White
Thanks for sharing your story with us, good luck finding your new watch :)
James Nye 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 06:59 PM   #17
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Sounds like you are on the upside of life and deserve the watch you want. Many are available in the "used" market, you just have to find the right reseller that is 100% honest. There are several listed in the "watches for sale" section of this forum, and quite a number that can be identified during a internet search. Just make sure you come back to the forum to get the input from other concerned watch enthusiasts. davidsw.com is one that has been around for quite some time. Here in the forum you can get first hand experience from other buyers. Good luck, congratulations on things working out for your son and family.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 09:35 AM   #18
Soarteeth
"TRF" Member

Update to my story

As an update to my story I was able to find a watch that I purchased from one of the sellers on the forum (Takuya, Rolex 126334). An excellent watch, and great dealer.

I recently turned 70 and with Covid-19 raging I celebrated with just my wife and two sons. In a private moment my younger son handed me a gift to open. In the box was an identical Datejust to the one my older son had taken. He said he'd been thinking about this since high school and made a promise to himself that he would one day replace the watch I had lost. I was stunned! Once it was gone I'd made a point not to mention it again. I didn't think my younger son was even aware of the Rolex. My best gift wasn't the Rolex.

Both boys are making there own way in world and staying productive in this Covid environment.
Old 14 December 2020, 12:45 PM   #19
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarteeth View Post
As an update to my story I was able to find a watch that I purchased from one of the sellers on the forum (Takuya, Rolex 126334). An excellent watch, and great dealer.

I recently turned 70 and with Covid-19 raging I celebrated with just my wife and two sons. In a private moment my younger son handed me a gift to open. In the box was an identical Datejust to the one my older son had taken. He said he'd been thinking about this since high school and made a promise to himself that he would one day replace the watch I had lost. I was stunned! Once it was gone I'd made a point not to mention it again. I didn't think my younger son was even aware of the Rolex. My best gift wasn't the Rolex.

Both boys are making there own way in world and staying productive in this Covid environment.
A very touching outcome.
Best wishes and good health, and enjoy both of your Rolexes.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 02:07 PM   #20
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you were able to source the watch you wanted from one of our TDs here.

That's a touching story with your younger son. It's amazing how much our kids notice, even when we think they don't. What a great surprise!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 12:38 AM   #21
KonradvonMarburg
Banned

Sounds like your son owes you a Rolex.
KonradvonMarburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 01:15 AM   #22
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
This is one of the best thread, very touching story and has a happy ending.

Congratulations on your Rolexes and happy family!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 01:34 AM   #23
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:

That’s a very touching story. I’m very glad to hear of the obstacles that were overcome throughout as well for your family. Congrats on the new watch as well. We need some pictures of it.
Old 16 December 2020, 02:04 AM   #24
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Great story. Very happy for your son!!! Get yourself a President and go right on past the stainless steel foolishness!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 02:07 AM   #25
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I am glad you shared the story and got your new watch with least amount of frustration, go to a trusted reseller.
Old 16 December 2020, 03:26 AM   #26
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
You certainly deserved it, what a gesture from your youngest.
Be proud of your boys
Old 16 December 2020, 03:31 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

That’s fantastic! You should be proud of your two sons.

Happy 70th
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 04:04 AM   #28
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

Amazing, congratulations.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 05:14 AM   #29
Cgill1982
"TRF" Member

I think the question we all want to know is where were you water skiing? Lol
Cgill1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 06:13 AM   #30
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

What an amazing story.

I think you beat that stigma with the support and love given to you son - and he's winning the struggle.

Sometimes, it's only partially about the watch.

You deserve 2 watches.

Maybe even one for your son too.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote