The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 September 2019, 05:11 AM   #1
Sherio
"TRF" Member

AD felt sorry for me 😞

Checked in with my AD yesterday, chatting casually about the situation, and trying to find a way to get hold of my final missing watch, the Pepsi, and apparently he eventually felt sorry for me, and kinda reluctantly offered to put my name on the James Cameron waiting list ( expected within a couple of months ) as a sort of compensation for not being able to offer me anything else.

Strange thing is, I’m not sure if I like it or not, currently I own a black sky dweller, a polar, a Batman, and a Wimbledon WG bezel on oyster so I guess the deep sea is not a bad addition, given that the dial color is amazing, but that’s about all I like in the watch.

Oddly enough I explained that to my AD, his response was once it arrives, if I don’t want it it’s no problem, but he did suggest that I should take it nevertheless since it’s never going to loose value.

Any owners of the James Cameron our there care to share their opinion? should I buy it and see if I like it, and if I don’t and try to sell it does it tend to loose value? MSRP is around 13,200 US$
Old 21 September 2019, 05:14 AM   #2
mattsrs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherio View Post
Checked in with my AD yesterday, chatting casually about the situation, and trying to find a way to get hold of my final missing watch, the Pepsi, and apparently he eventually felt sorry for me, and kinda reluctantly offered to put my name on the James Cameron waiting list ( expected within a couple of months ) as a sort of compensation for not being able to offer me anything else.

Strange thing is, I’m not sure if I like it or not, currently I own a black sky dweller, a polar, a Batman, and a Wimbledon WG bezel on oyster so I guess the deep sea is not a bad addition, given that the dial color is amazing, but that’s about all I like in the watch.

Oddly enough I explained that to my AD, his response was once it arrives, if I don’t want it it’s no problem, but he did suggest that I should take it nevertheless since it’s never going to loose value.

Any owners of the James Cameron our there care to share their opinion? should I buy it and see if I like it, and if I don’t and try to sell it does it tend to loose value? MSRP is around 13,200 US$
Only buy watches that you love. Don't buy a watch that you didn't want just because AD says so
Old 21 September 2019, 05:14 AM   #3
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Felt sorry for you by selling you a $4k more expensive watch you didn’t ask for...priceless!
Old 21 September 2019, 05:14 AM   #4
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I would only buy a Rolex if I had the "I have to have it" feeling towards.
Old 21 September 2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I have the JC and love it! IMHO you should buy it if you like it. If you don't, leave it for someone who wants it to buy it at MSRP.
Old 21 September 2019, 05:17 AM   #6
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
As others have said, buy if it is the watch you want, if not leave it and wait for the watch you really want.
Old 21 September 2019, 05:19 AM   #7
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Buy if you love it , it is huge. I have blue sky but tried jc on and I was like wow and not in a good way. Great looking watch but you need to have wrist size to wear it comfortably.
Old 21 September 2019, 05:19 AM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Why you are even considering a DSSD ? You are not going to like it from what I read. Would be a silly purchase imho
Old 21 September 2019, 05:20 AM   #9
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Don’t bother with the JC, clearly you’re not 100% on it so leave it for someone who loves it
Old 21 September 2019, 05:28 AM   #10
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
Felt sorry for you by selling you a $4k more expensive watch you didn’t ask for...priceless!
Agreed! That gesture is more of an insult!

On the other hand I do love my JC DSSD but I specifically asked for this. It doesn't seem that you would like this as much as I do based on your expression of enthusiasm (or lack thereof).
Old 21 September 2019, 05:45 AM   #11
exador
Banned

Mine also felt sorry and offered a Black Bay
Old 21 September 2019, 05:46 AM   #12
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Old 21 September 2019, 06:15 AM   #13
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Don't buy a watch you don't want, just because it probably won't lose value. For all you know the bottom could fall out of the Rolex market tomorrow and then you will be stuck with it.
Old 21 September 2019, 06:24 AM   #14
jfestrelabr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL rolex models
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Only buy watches that you love. Don't buy a watch that you didn't want just because AD says so

+ 1

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 06:30 AM   #15
Brew
"TRF" Member

Mine offered me some coffee.
Old 21 September 2019, 06:32 AM   #16
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I dont think ADs feel sorry for anyone. If you love it yes. If 'any' doubt pass.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 06:34 AM   #17
psv
"TRF" Member

If you have to ask... I'd pass on it.
Old 21 September 2019, 06:46 AM   #18
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Depending on your watch taste you may actually prefer the JC. It a boss piece.
Old 21 September 2019, 06:56 AM   #19
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Hold off for sure.
Old 21 September 2019, 07:02 AM   #20
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
I had an AD offer me a Tag in lieu of a BLNR. True story.
Old 21 September 2019, 07:26 AM   #21
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:

Classic...this is the environment we are in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 07:39 AM   #22
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Quote:
I think this hobby is getting a bit too crazy for me...
Old 21 September 2019, 07:41 AM   #23
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
loose value
What is "loose value" - the opposite of tight value?

As others have said, buy what you like. Not a bone which some almighty AD tosses your way.
Old 21 September 2019, 07:53 AM   #24
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Since when do AD's decide which watch a client wants to buy?
Old 21 September 2019, 08:31 AM   #25
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Felt sorry for you? I don’t see it that way. He’s telling you to buy a more expensive watch that you didn’t want. You’re getting played.

Ask him if he’ll sell it to you at the same cost as the one you wanted. Then you’ll see if he really is feeling sorry for you.
Old 21 September 2019, 08:48 AM   #26
xekret
"TRF" Member

Interesting. I asked my guy at the AD which I have know for 10 years and he told me he would get me one. Not sure when it would come in but I am in the top 5. I wouldn't buy something else unless you are desperate for a Rolex. I waited a month for an Explorer 1 but because I wanted it, not because the AD told me. Just my two cents.
Old 21 September 2019, 08:50 AM   #27
Sherio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
What is "loose value" - the opposite of tight value?

As others have said, buy what you like. Not a bone which some almighty AD tosses your way.
oops, me gues me mispeld
Old 21 September 2019, 09:01 AM   #28
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Felt sorry for you so much he took an extra $4k from you
Old 21 September 2019, 09:04 AM   #29
Sherio
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't say he felt sorry per se , he was defiantly trying to pitch a sale for more gained profit then he'll make from a Pepsi, also factor in he'll keep a Pepsi for a more lucrative client, maybe he doesn't see me as such?

Thing is, I don't reckon the DSSD is a slow moving watch by any means, I know its not mass produced as the Pepsi, and it is still not easy to obtain.

I wouldn't be the first one to buy a watch and after wearing it for some time, found out it grew on me, I know that for a fact since I can't seem to take the polar of my wrist, also I'm pretty sure some of you lost the love for a watch after wearing it for some time.

I guess I'll wait for the call and see how it plays out, unless by some cosmic magic I'll stumble on a Pepsi somehow.
Old 21 September 2019, 09:08 AM   #30
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
AD don't feel sorry for you.

Get that out of your head.
Closed Thread