The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2019, 10:07 PM   #1
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Underrated Two tone Daytona or Sky-Dweller?

Alright I've had most, if not all my favorite sports Rolex collection.

I'm now buying for a 'possible' future investments in these 2 probably most underrated (undervalued) sports rolexes:

- Daytona 116523 two tone black dial 2007;

- Sky-Dweller 326933 two tone white dial 2017;

Both are LNIB and complete sets. prices are the same at around usd 14K.

Now as mentioned, these are not my favorite rolexes (sorry for Sky-D and Daytona fans) but where I'm come from, if I keep my cash, in 5 years time, I'd probably lose 40-50% of my money's value. So I'm converting my cash into some tangible 'liquid assets', Rolex watch.

Now I need help from all of you to take out your crystal ball and help me see the future which one will probably bring me more financial gains in let's say 3-5 years time and why do you think that way?

Again some of you may say buy the one you like most and enjoy wearing it. I may not have to like it nor enjoy it but I purely considering to get one for possible opportunistic purposes and to keep my money's value intact at least.

Attached are the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:26 PM   #2
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Guys like you have really tarnished
this forum.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:35 PM   #3
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
I think you’re on the wrong forum
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:35 PM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Don’t do it. Rolex watches are not a investment. It’s a luxury purchase. Most of us buy watches to wear and to make a horological connection to. A good reason to buy a Rolex would be because you think it’s beautiful and fits your lifestyle.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:36 PM   #5
aasubo
"TRF" Member

Since when is there a TT ceramic Daytona, so somebody has already changed the bezel,of that thing and to be frank, it doesn’t look good. I understand now, why Rolex didn’t release that version.

However, I am also quite turned off by your question for investment purposes into Rolex watches. If you want to save your money from being worth less, go purchase stocks or diamonds or gold or whatever that delivers a RoI, but don’t buy watches. There are enthusiasts that want those watches to wear and are not able to procure them.

Just my 2 cents.

Torsten
aasubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:37 PM   #6
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'd just buy what you love and not worry about which is the best investment potential!!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:40 PM   #7
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Buy as many "investment" watches as you possibly can afford. You deserve it.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:48 PM   #8
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Call Vanguard

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 11:00 PM   #9
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasubo View Post
Since when is there a TT ceramic Daytona, so somebody has already changed the bezel,of that thing and to be frank, it doesn’t look good. I understand now, why Rolex didn’t release that version.

However, I am also quite turned off by your question for investment purposes into Rolex watches. If you want to save your money from being worth less, go purchase stocks or diamonds or gold or whatever that delivers a RoI, but don’t buy watches. There are enthusiasts that want those watches to wear and are not able to procure them.

Just my 2 cents.

Torsten

Yes the bezel has been changed to AM ceramic bezel but the original gold is still available.

Old 21 September 2019, 11:10 PM   #10
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

I know that some of you can be turned off with my questions but please don't misunderstood my questions.

As mentioned, I love my rolexes and in fact I've owned 6 ie 16750 matt dial, 16570 polar, 116713, 116600, 126600 among others that I love and cherish.

I'm a business man (and I assume lots of you here in the forum are too) and i need to diversify my funds. I'm in the stock market already and as you all know, 2018/2019 are not very friendly to investors on the bull side. I lost like 30-40% of my fund there.

On the other hand, I've been watching my rolexes value grew especially in the past 3-4 years and I think it will continue to grow.

Now the reason I started this thread is to buy 'under-valued' rolexes that may have a stable increase in value in the future and I'm asking your opinions as I'm torn between those watches.

I hope I don't offend anyone here as I'm a rolex lover too and try to get the best value rolex at the moment with a potential 'future' legendary seed

Old 21 September 2019, 11:10 PM   #11
peterpl
Banned

Investment? LOL

Your on the wrong forum
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 11:33 PM   #12
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Go away.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 11:54 PM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I will chime in one last time only because I owned many TT over the long haul. In the TT world right now, the CHNR is on fire and probably the most desirable TT. It is a powerful watch and holds a few firsts in the history of Rolex.
It has allured even the most diehard SS lover over to the Everose gold side. Rose gold is red hot on watches right now over yellow gold but fashion is cyclical so buy what you like and looks good with your skin tone.
The next and probably the longest is the Bluesy. It has staying power and is always a good choice. These are solid TT choices ONLY of you love them and will wear them. TT is never going to be as popular as SS or PM. It just won’t and I have been in this game for 30 years now owning TT along the way. I personally love their look but I tend to not like mainstream models. Buy at msrp and you most likely will get your money back in 10 years is all you can ever expect with a Rolex watch. They are not a investment and even calling a Rolex a “investment” is a four letter word in the watch enthusiast world. This forum has grown sour with any talk of Rolex investment talk. I just wanted to cap this thread off with where the forums head is at with this topic.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:21 AM   #14
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

So many on this forum are quick to say watches are not investments, but SS Rolex (particularly Daytonas) have performed very well as investments
in recent years. So I don't think criticizing the OP is fair. Having said that, no one can really answer the OP's question with any degree of certainty. I would lean toward Daytona because...well... It's a Daytona.
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:23 AM   #15
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I will chime in one last time only because I owned many TT over the long haul. In the TT world right now, the CHNR is on fire and probably the most desirable TT. It is a powerful watch and holds a few firsts in the history of Rolex.
It has allured even the most diehard SS lover over to the Everose gold side. Rose gold is red hot on watches right now over yellow gold but fashion is cyclical so buy what you like and looks good with your skin tone.
The next and probably the longest is the Bluesy. It has staying power and is always a good choice. These are solid TT choices ONLY of you love them and will wear them. TT is never going to be as popular as SS or PM. It just won’t and I have been in this game for 30 years now owning TT along the way. I personally love their look but I tend to not like mainstream models. Buy at msrp and you most likely will get your money back in 10 years is all you can ever expect with a Rolex watch. They are not a investment and even calling a Rolex a “investment” is a four letter word in the watch enthusiast world. This forum has grown sour with any talk of Rolex investment talk. I just wanted to cap this thread off with where the forums head is at with this topic.

Thanks for your response Mystro. In fact the only reason I'm considering the two watches above because I just bought a GMT master TT 116713 at a very good price compare to 116710LN which is going hot now.

From economical perspective, some pre-loved TT rolexes are a no brainer best buy especially you'd pay at least 20-30% premium when new vs the SS and probably can get them at the same price if not cheaper when buying used.

I first thought that TT Rolexes are a big no no but after I got it and wore it for about a month I'm falling in love with the TT, more so than most of my SS Rolex.

Guess what, out of a month, my TT gets at least 3 days wrist time.

I understand i may sound like a flipper but I genuinely not. I'm just a guy who'd like to buy an undervalued Rolex to enjoy and add to my collections.

Old 22 September 2019, 12:24 AM   #16
sambb
"TRF" Member

To retain your money's value, invest in a worldwide portfolio of indexed mutual funds, rather than rolexes - which could break or be stolen etc. I understand you dont want to hold cash. ROlex may not be the safest answer for you.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:26 AM   #17
glamorama
"TRF" Member

That does not look good, I now know why Rolex has not released a TT with Ceramic bezel yet.

I think the 116523 is undervalued, especially the one with Panda Arabic racing dial. I just sold mine since I had a hate love relationship with it.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:27 AM   #18
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
To retain your money's value, invest in a worldwide portfolio of indexed mutual funds, rather than rolexes - which could break or be stolen etc. I understand you dont want to hold cash. ROlex may not be the safest answer for you.
That makes too much sense.

I'd put it all in TT Ladies Datejusts
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:28 AM   #19
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwhawk View Post
So many on this forum are quick to say watches are not investments, but SS Rolex (particularly Daytonas) have performed very well as investments
in recent years. So I don't think criticizing the OP is fair. Having said that, no one can really answer the OP's question with any degree of certainty. I would lean toward Daytona because...well... It's a Daytona.

Many thanks for your positive response fwhawk. I burnt my hands investing my hard-earned money to the stock market, diamonds and even properties in the past 3 years. Good thing I set aside some to buy some Rolexes that I really liked, especially vintage.

I guess Vanguard would even wonder how to make a 200% value in just over 2 years as demonstrated by my purchase of 16750 GMT master matte dial.

Like it or not, Rolex is the safest (and most enjoyable) inflation-proof savings we can have.

Old 22 September 2019, 12:31 AM   #20
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post

I'm sorry mate but I'm done investing in something that reduced 30-40% in value in the past 2 years while you can't enjoy those 'papers'. I'm now buying Rolexes that I can wear and admire everyday

Old 22 September 2019, 12:33 AM   #21
Beantown sports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
I know that some of you can be turned off with my questions but please don't misunderstood my questions.

As mentioned, I love my rolexes and in fact I've owned 6 ie 16750 matt dial, 16570 polar, 116713, 116600, 126600 among others that I love and cherish.

I'm a business man (and I assume lots of you here in the forum are too) and i need to diversify my funds. I'm in the stock market already and as you all know, 2018/2019 are not very friendly to investors on the bull side. I lost like 30-40% of my fund there.

On the other hand, I've been watching my rolexes value grew especially in the past 3-4 years and I think it will continue to grow.

Now the reason I started this thread is to buy 'under-valued' rolexes that may have a stable increase in value in the future and I'm asking your opinions as I'm torn between those watches.

I hope I don't offend anyone here as I'm a rolex lover too and try to get the best value rolex at the moment with a potential 'future' legendary seed

I am sorry but which stock market have you been investing in to lose 30-40%? This year has been INCREDIBLY friendly to investors..this has to be a troll.
Beantown sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:33 AM   #22
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
That does not look good, I now know why Rolex has not released a TT with Ceramic bezel yet.

I think the 116523 is undervalued, especially the one with Panda Arabic racing dial. I just sold mine since I had a hate love relationship with it.

original bezel is included. I'm also leaning toward 116523. This thing sells for at least 20% premium compare to the SS version. CMIIW

Old 22 September 2019, 12:37 AM   #23
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie219 View Post
That makes too much sense.

I'd put it all in TT Ladies Datejusts

Hahaha yeah they're ridiculously undervalued but unfortunately the wife likes diamond and that holy 'H' bags better than rolexes

Old 22 September 2019, 12:39 AM   #24
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I don’t think there is a clear undervalued Rolex model at the moment. Rolex values have skyrocketed now as well. If you say you are buying long term, then you’re good in picking out either. TT is not popular in general so pick out what you like.

Don’t expect to make money on Rolex.
If you expect to lose less on a Rolex than depreciation on a luxury car and buy what you like- you’ll be happy.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:40 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Rolex makes one million watches a year and many people are buying and hoarding everything they can get, even incredibility, TT models. At some point, all this craziness will ebb and all these hoarders holding 5 or 6 years of the million Rolex watch output per year are going to dump this stuff on the internet when they see the marketing softening. Remember these are "investors" not watch enthusiasts. I hope Rolex sees this coming as they are going to have to navigate several years of over supply and soft prices. Everything comes around and goes around. Thank you OP for making all this far more clear.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:44 AM   #26
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
I don’t think there is a clear undervalued Rolex model at the moment. Rolex values have skyrocketed now as well. If you say you are buying long term, then you’re good in picking out either. TT is not popular in general so pick out what you like.

Don’t expect to make money on Rolex.
If you expect to lose less on a Rolex than depreciation on a luxury car and buy what you like- you’ll be happy.

Yea I agree. Rolex's definition of under-valued is actually buying it second hand at a list price. I was offered a second hand 216570 42mm explorer 2 2017 at usd 8500. I'm with you saying that's not really undervalued but for sure cheaper than those crazy Batman and Hulk that sells for at least 30% more than list price even on the second hand market.

Old 22 September 2019, 12:48 AM   #27
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Rolex makes one million watches a year and many people are buying and hoarding everything they can get, even incredibility, TT models. At some point, all this craziness will ebb and all these hoarders holding 5 or 6 years of the million Rolex watch output per year are going to dump this stuff on the internet when they see the marketing softening. Remember these are "investors" not watch enthusiasts. I hope Rolex sees this coming as they are going to have to navigate several years of over supply and soft prices. Everything comes around and goes around. Thank you OP for making all this far more clear.

Maybe there are also people who are enthusiastic about watches who'd like to diverse his/her assets into some luxurious watches that don't decline in value. I think rolex is smart enough to see the trend and will adjust the demand/supply and get the equilibrium. I've been following the general price trend of rolex in the past 10-15 years and guess what, they don't go down, only stagnant during the 2008 crash

Old 22 September 2019, 12:56 AM   #28
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

tt will never be an investment
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:59 AM   #29
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
tt will never be an investment

You maybe right, but for sure they're cheaper to get and strangely after owning one, I keep thinking to get more. They're gorgeous especially for 40+ guy like me

Old 22 September 2019, 01:01 AM   #30
Beantown sports
"TRF" Member

I do not know what you could be possibly investing in the last 2 years to lose 40% in the stock market. I can tell you that buying a Rolex will not solve this problem.
Beantown sports is offline   Reply With Quote