The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 7 June 2019, 07:09 PM   #1
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

Attempted Purchase from Joseph206 0/10 would not recommend

I don’t believe in giving negative reviews for subjective dealings so for this I’ll just stick to 100% pure facts, and why I would not do business with Joseph206 if given the opportunity.

I was in contact with Joseph206 regarding the sale of his DJ41mm, we chatted easily over WhatsApp, negotiated and came to an agreement on price and shipping terms - all good so far. I touched base with the 2 other members that had previously purchased from Joseph206 and they provided positive feedback so I was fine to proceed.

However as he was a new seller I requested to pay via PayPal, and that we would split the fees, again we easily agreed and a PayPal invoice was issued.

This invoice was paid within minutes and to confirmation of payment was forwarded from my end immediately and a promise to ship on Saturday owning to a public holiday in HK, again no issues.

The purchase was a present for my father’s 70th birthday that I had been helping my mother source. So at family breakie this morning we had printed out a photo, put in a card and gave it to Dad. He was ecstatic, he’s been rocking the same gold Seiko for 40 years so we were excited to share.

Fast forward a few hours and Joseph206 sends a WhatsApp out of the blue to tell me that he won’t be shipping me the watch, another person has offered more and that he has refunded my payment, no offer to discuss or even request additional payment terms from me.

Now I’m all for making a profit but this practice sits very poorly with me. A sales contract is a simple one of offer and acceptance. We had agreed and the balance paid in full and now I’m left red faced apologising to my (very understanding) father.

The real kicker is that PayPal refunds aren’t processed immediately so I am no without my funds to start the search for another full week.

It’s a common adage that one should buy the seller when researching sizeable purchases, and for my money I can’t think of a good reason why one would complete a purchase with someone who cannot respect a deal.
gregory_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:03 PM   #2
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I'm with you on this one. A deal was made, money was sent. Extremely poor form from the seller.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:27 PM   #3
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Seller exercised very poor taste, if this is the whole story.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 05:25 AM   #4
Knappo 1307

Seller has been made aware of this thread and has been invited to share his comment. Ball's in his court.
Old 8 June 2019, 06:47 AM   #5
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory_b View Post
I don’t believe in giving negative reviews for subjective dealings so for this I’ll just stick to 100% pure facts, and why I would not do business with Joseph206 if given the opportunity.

I was in contact with Joseph206 regarding the sale of his DJ41mm, we chatted easily over WhatsApp, negotiated and came to an agreement on price and shipping terms - all good so far. I touched base with the 2 other members that had previously purchased from Joseph206 and they provided positive feedback so I was fine to proceed.

However as he was a new seller I requested to pay via PayPal, and that we would split the fees, again we easily agreed and a PayPal invoice was issued.

This invoice was paid within minutes and to confirmation of payment was forwarded from my end immediately and a promise to ship on Saturday owning to a public holiday in HK, again no issues.

The purchase was a present for my father’s 70th birthday that I had been helping my mother source. So at family breakie this morning we had printed out a photo, put in a card and gave it to Dad. He was ecstatic, he’s been rocking the same gold Seiko for 40 years so we were excited to share.

Fast forward a few hours and Joseph206 sends a WhatsApp out of the blue to tell me that he won’t be shipping me the watch, another person has offered more and that he has refunded my payment, no offer to discuss or even request additional payment terms from me.

Now I’m all for making a profit but this practice sits very poorly with me. A sales contract is a simple one of offer and acceptance. We had agreed and the balance paid in full and now I’m left red faced apologising to my (very understanding) father.

The real kicker is that PayPal refunds aren’t processed immediately so I am no without my funds to start the search for another full week.

It’s a common adage that one should buy the seller when researching sizeable purchases, and for my money I can’t think of a good reason why one would complete a purchase with someone who cannot respect a deal.
Absolutely sickening behavior,No Business Morales.This is happening more and more it seems as Sellers think there is an unlimited Buyer Pool.When I agree on a price,That’s it,Period.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I hope you get your money back. Seems like a delaying tactic used by scammers. Your seller hasnt been here very long with virtually no feedback and the feedback you got could have been from him too with other accounts. If the references are also short time people here with low post counts I would say it doesnt look good.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 10:51 AM   #7
77T

A question, why would you buy from a new seller with no track record here?

Sorry you’re in this pickle and hope you get your refund. As FYI, you can call PayPal to see if he does a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:29 AM   #8
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I really hope that you get your money back.
Joseph206 feel free to chime in here.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:06 PM   #9
bakaneul
"TRF" Member

The deal has been made and you even sent the payment. The seller should be ashamed of himself.
bakaneul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:20 PM   #10
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
I would be very upset as well. This is unacceptable. Hope you get ur funds back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Andad

Watch: A few.
Has this same watch been offered for sale by him 3 times since Dec 2018?

And the ‘bluesy’ that he ‘really wants’?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 09:52 AM   #12
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Suspicious post activity. Watch was sold back in Jan. He never updated current listing as sold. Fingers crossed you get your funds returned without hassles. Double check that you actually paid PP goods and services. Hopefully you paid with credit card for some extra protection.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 03:36 AM   #13
gaoxing84
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
dealt with joseph once on his two tone sub.

he ships fast. maybe he wanted more for his watch but yes, he should have negotiated with you or give you an explanation.
gaoxing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 09:05 PM   #14
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

Attempted Purchase from Joseph206 0/10 would not recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Seller has been made aware of this thread and has been invited to share his comment. Ball's in his court.

Thanks for that. Everyone is entitled to a right of reply. I told him when he told me he that the deal was off that I would leave a had review here if he didn't honour our agreement, first priority was just to get the watch really

Edit :: and yes it's def the whole story, I screenshot all WhatsApp conversations regarding a deal like this before sending the funds as an insurance policy.
Old 11 June 2019, 09:08 PM   #15
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I hope you get your money back. Seems like a delaying tactic used by scammers. Your seller hasnt been here very long with virtually no feedback and the feedback you got could have been from him too with other accounts. If the references are also short time people here with low post counts I would say it doesnt look good.

I can see in PayPal that the invoice and subsequent payment have been cancelled and refunded so I'm not overly worried about not getting the money back.

The fact that PayPal had to hold onto it for a week or more is really frustrating but I imagine it would be a much worse situation if I'd gone with bankwire
Old 11 June 2019, 09:11 PM   #16
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
A question, why would you buy from a new seller with no track record here?

Sorry you’re in this pickle and hope you get your refund. As FYI, you can call PayPal to see if he does a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did my due diligence on his part transactions by contacting previous buyers and that allayed my fears, communication was also clear and photos were solid.
Old 11 June 2019, 09:19 PM   #17
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaoxing84 View Post
dealt with joseph once on his two tone sub.

he ships fast. maybe he wanted more for his watch but yes, he should have negotiated with you or give you an explanation.

Hi there, thanks again for being so quick to respond to my PM when I was doing my due diligence.

I want to be clear, I'm not saying trying to disparage the seller as being a scammer or anything like this. I'm confident that the money is en route back.

An explanation was given, he was offered more money and as such he was simply going to disregard our finalised deal.

If this were to happen in a physical situation it would be a clear breach of contract, but as this is more of a community vibe I took it more of a declaration that a small amount of extra money is more valuable than his word.

If in future if one wants to do business with him they should know that for my money whilst the watches are genuine and of good standing I would be hard pressed to say the same of the vendor.
Old 11 June 2019, 09:20 PM   #18
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Suspicious post activity. Watch was sold back in Jan. He never updated current listing as sold. Fingers crossed you get your funds returned without hassles. Double check that you actually paid PP goods and services. Hopefully you paid with credit card for some extra protection.

My added security was that I had the seller issue an invoice which I then paid. The invoice had been cancelled and PayPal speed The funds are due back in my account in a few days
Old 12 June 2019, 12:09 AM   #19
Jim Smyth
Banned

I am very untrusting in nature and am usually not disappointed. Paypal seems to be a scammers choice these days so that even raises my suspicion level even higher. I hope for your sake you do get your money back. I hate dishonest people and the world we live in it seems its more common than not.
Old 12 June 2019, 02:33 AM   #20
Knappo 1307

Joseph206, was on this AM at 8:34 and chose not to respond. Take this for whatever you see it as, I for one will not deal with someone with a morals like that....
Old 12 June 2019, 02:46 AM   #21
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Once agreed on a purchase price on Head-Fi for a rectifier tube and paid via PayPal immediately, and after receiving the funds the seller contacted me and said he made a mistake and needed $10.00 more.

My reply was "we made a deal and I paid you immediately, and I would NEVER ask anyone for an additional $10.00 due to a mistake on my part of an agreement as the seller. $10.00 isn't going to make or break me, but out of principle, please refund my payment, thank you". The seller realized my point, and we proceeded with the original agreement.

I would NEVER do business with this TRF member who's word is worthless!
Old 13 June 2019, 03:20 PM   #22
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

Quick update :: money successfully returned to my PayPal - as expected.

But interesting the seller has "Bumped" his sale in the classifieds, odd thing to do if a watch was sold days prior....

Anyways, sorry to clog up your feeds - buyer beware on this one

Old 13 June 2019, 04:39 PM   #23
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
What a weird situation. Puzzling in fact.
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:09 PM   #24
Lgear080
Banned

:/

Can’t we just agree to keep our word collectively?
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:14 PM   #25
Jim Smyth
Banned

I would be thankful the money was returned. I would get the money out of Paypal before it can be removed by some weird rule. Totally Bizarre and would never ever deal with that seller.
Old 13 June 2019, 11:08 PM   #26
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

I mean his first sentence of his advertisement says it all “due to change of mind”. He was foreshadowing before you even contacted him in the first instance.
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 11:55 PM   #27
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
Completely unacceptable behavior on the part of the seller. Thanks for the heads up and glad the OP got his refund.
skhan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 12:01 AM   #28
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
A member for less than 6 months with less than 50 posts specifying "bank wire" as the payment in the listing? And he's bumped the sale thread but not responded here? Red flagtastic
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 12:09 AM   #29
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Ugh! So frustrating and really takes the fun out of purchasing a very special gift.
Joeseph206 just blew up his reputation on this and any other forum.
Sad
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote