The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 December 2010, 03:33 AM   #1
vancity
"TRF" Member

First rolex and first vintage!

Well, I'm happy to report that I pulled the trigger on my first rolex which also happens to be my first vintage! A 16750 matte dial pepsi!

I've been wanting this watch since late 2005, when I first saw it in the wild (it was actually the first rolex I saw IRL) on my bosses arm. At the time I ended up going with an black bezel Omega PO (42mm) due to budget constraints and fear of buying on the secondary market.

I ended up passing the omega on a few months ago. Great watch; however, too bulky for daily wearing (I wear a suit, tie and french cuffs M-F). The hunt for a new watch began. Initially I was going to go for an ultra thin dress watch (JLC master ultra thin or a GO senator sixties) but it struck me, why not the pepsi?

Special thanks to the forum for answering all my questions regarding the vintange pepsi, and special thanks to Mike, the vintage forum moderator who not only answered my my questions through PM, but who also ended up selling me the watch I'm wearing now!

My ability to take pictures is limited to my blackberry...so Mike, if you're listenting, please indulge us with a few of your shots of this watch!
vancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2010, 04:12 AM   #2
vancity
"TRF" Member

Early impressions:

1. The pepsi insert is very nice. At first I thought it may have been a little too flashy, but it really has a great pop without being over the top.

2. The watch is extremely comfortable, and has a great size/weight balance. It makes the PO feel like a brick teathered to your arm! Additional, the watch has a sleek profile which will allow it to fit nicely under your shirt cuffs.

3. The matte dial with patina can only be described with one word: awesome

Overall, great watch, especially considering its about as old as I am. If anyone is sitting on the fence: go out and buy this piece.

As the saying goes, they don't make 'em like they used to.
vancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2010, 04:26 AM   #3
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Very nice.!! Post some pics when you get to it.