The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 May 2018, 06:16 AM   #31
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
You'd think that but I think if you buy right and are a bit flexible about what you want you can still get in for a reasonable price.

Hodinkee has a great article on the 3970 (perpetual chrono, one of the super classic GCs). Yeah it's 36mm but wearing my 5116R the 36mm doesn't bother me.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...e-3970-history

Depending on series and metal there are some for sale right now in great condition for ~$80k; and that's for one of the all time classic movements hand finished in a classic Patek GC.

By reasonable I mean I suspect many people who own Patek pieces on this sub could move around/trade some watches and pick one up without a lot of hassle.
Totally get what you're saying, there are some great buys out there for sure for us "mere mortals" in the watch game. The chrono perpetuals aren't my cup of tea but I got my eyes on a nice 3940p if the opportunity presents itself. A lot of watch for the value I think.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 07:25 AM   #32
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
2 very different timepieces.

rolex is a staple in the collection and patek is the addition but then again, i haven't taken my patek off in a few weeks... however if / when i get a call for a new SS pepsi GMT, that will be sure to change:)
Old 5 May 2018, 07:26 AM   #33
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Totally get what you're saying, there are some great buys out there for sure for us "mere mortals" in the watch game. The chrono perpetuals aren't my cup of tea but I got my eyes on a nice 3940p if the opportunity presents itself. A lot of watch for the value I think.
Old 5 May 2018, 07:30 AM   #34
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I love both and own both. I culled the other brands...VC & AP but I always move between Rolex and PP. Can never get either out of my system.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 08:00 AM   #35
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Yep 3940P we’re speaking the same language. I think I drank the Kool Aid on the PC unfortunately for my wallet.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:20 AM   #36
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I bought two Pateks before I bought my first Rolex over a decade later. I like Patek for dress and Rolex for sport but not the other way around.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:34 PM   #37
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Both great brands. Buy what you like, but I do wonder why some people might buy Rolex after Rolex and not branch out a little.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 03:48 PM   #38
Timelover
Banned

My take on this is that if you are purchasing a steel sports watch, go for rolex. if you are purchasing a gold sports watch, go for Patek. Since you will pay more attention to hits on a gold watch, might as well go for the better finished and more exclusive one as opposed to more robust.
Timelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 03:59 PM   #39
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
I own a few Rolex but my other love would be JLC. ''Patek quality for Rolex money money''They build spectacular pieces and can be had for some great deals right now.
My two favorites are the alarm compressors, and the deep sea chronograph, it's quality has put me off of the Daytona for the time being.

American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 04:10 PM   #40
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i generally prefer Patek however i will always own Rolex too.

IMO you can be a Rolex owner and not a Patek owner but you really cant be a Patek owner and not also a Rolex owner. Either way, you need a Rolex.
Thanks a lot for that perspective. BTW looked up your instagram page. Great collection and nice pics. Especially the 5712 is super nice.
ECLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 04:31 PM   #41
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDOG View Post
Interesting question. I’ve been into watches long before I could afford any quality watches. When my first company sold, I bought a Rolex GMT as a reward/memorial and really loved and appreciated it. I have since given this to my successful adult daughter who wears it often

Then as I became more successful, I bought many watches (many more Rolex..and others) and enjoyed them all to varying degrees- but Patek(as a brand) was always the epitome of the best...but wow, the price.

Then I got to the point where I could afford to buy any Patek(s) I wanted- and I did. They were/are fantastic works of art, which I truly loved and appreciated. Unfortunatley I still felt bad when I scratched them, or worse yet never wore them for lack of occasion, or fear of banging and scratching.

In the end, I am not a collector, but a wearer. I wear most any of my Rolex’s for anything from business meetings, to the beach, or working on my cars. I still have lust and appreciation for Patek as they are worthy of their high place in the watch world, but just don’t fit well with my casual lifestyle.
I guess you would say I graduated, and then went back.
Thanks for your response. Like you I also believe in wearing my watches. I used to babysit my possessions but have stopped doing that for a few yrs.
Old 5 May 2018, 04:36 PM   #42
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLS18 View Post
Thanks a lot for that perspective. BTW looked up your instagram page. Great collection and nice pics. Especially the 5712 is super nice.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:25 PM   #43
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

OP here:

I wanted to thank all the members who responded to my post. I got some great insights and enjoyed reading every post. Greatly appreciate the responses.

Next step for me would be to go to an AD to get some wrist feel. Cheers..!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2018, 12:50 AM   #44
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Graduate to Patek? Own both brands but never graduated from Rolex. I did however graduate from college.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 03:40 PM   #45
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quick update:

I called Brinkhaus in Vancouver, BC to inquire about the price and availability of the 5711.

I was quoted $36k+taxes. Waitlist had 30+ people and they get 2-3 pieces per yr.

Aquanaut was $26k+taxes but no availability as they sold the last piece recently.

No way to try it and sales rep told me that they get calls from US, Mexico and even Hong Kong about the 5711 so almost no chance that they would be able to get me one. Sales rep did speak to me for about 10-15 mins. While she was nice and provided me with all the info. this stock out situation is pretty annoying.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 16 May 2018, 03:47 PM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quick update:

I called Brinkhaus in Vancouver, BC to inquire about the price and availability of the 5711.

I was quoted $36k+taxes. Waitlist had 30+ people and they get 2-3 pieces per yr.

Aquanaut was $26k+taxes but no availability as they sold the last piece recently.

No way to try it and sales rep told me that they get calls from US, Mexico and even Hong Kong about the 5711 so almost no chance that they would be able to get me one. Sales rep did speak to me for about 10-15 mins. While she was nice and provided me with all the info. this stock out situation is pretty annoying.

Thoughts anyone?

there is really no good option for those watches, and you would get a similar response pretty much everywhere. Its pretty much secondary market or dont get one.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 16 May 2018, 07:37 PM   #47
watchfan0529
"TRF" Member

Geneva-based enthusiast here. From what I know these two Manufactures have great respect for each other, so no need to think which is better. They are both master artisans of their own respective craft.

I have a few Rolex pieces and a Patek..Rolex is the king of precision, and I know my Rolex watches can take whatever I throw at them. But there is also more in a Rolex than meets the eye, the quality is there but it does not try to boast itself.

Patek is more refined and delicate, it is more traditional and one can really see the intricate details made by its watchmakers.

Have one of each at least. Both independent and full of cash, these two brands are very careful with their image and prestige, so they don't have short-term profits in mind unlike other watch Manufactures out there. Trust me, you can't go wrong with both!
watchfan0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 07:43 PM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfan0529 View Post
Geneva-based enthusiast here. From what I know these two Manufactures have great respect for each other, so no need to think which is better. They are both master artisans of their own respective craft.

I have a few Rolex pieces and a Patek..Rolex is the king of precision, and I know my Rolex watches can take whatever I throw at them. But there is also more in a Rolex than meets the eye, the quality is there but it does not try to boast itself.

Patek is more refined and delicate, it is more traditional and one can really see the intricate details made by its watchmakers.

Have one of each at least. Both independent and full of cash, these two brands are very careful with their image and prestige, so they don't have short-term profits in mind unlike other watch Manufactures out there. Trust me, you can't go wrong with both!

I agree. It always bugs me when two products who's only similarity is they display the time are thought to be comparable. They are different in almost every way imaginable and both have unique strengths and weaknesses.
Old 16 May 2018, 08:10 PM   #49
pam66
"TRF" Member

i wear my pateks more often but will try not to do it anymore on longer flights and trips. i find that i always get out of night flights with scratches on my watches, from hitting armrests etc when sleeping. i shall wear my rolexes dutifully more often:::)))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 10:04 PM   #50
figb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Count me in the group that owned a PP first, then a Rolex a number of years later. Both are great to own; I found my Aquanaut a bit to delicate for every single day, so acquired an IWC and Explorer II to add to the rotation. Love all of them.
I also got a PP before the Rolex and i absolutely love them all. My Sub gets more wrist time though.
figb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 11:31 PM   #51
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:

Question: Any die hard rolex fans graduated to a Patek? Will be great if you could share your experience on your transition from Rolex to PP. Which PP did you get first and did your opinion change about your rolex watch/watches?

Thanks a lot.

I think in general people who have and wear different brands throughout their collecting time start to really appreciate each brand for what they are and what they bring to the table. My collection right now is simply a 5712 (my first Patek), a Lange 1815 and my grandfather's TT DJ 36.

I can't wait to get another steel Rolex because steel Rolexes are awesome for what they are. Just like an SKX, a Reverso, a Speedy, a BB, a Sub/GMT/Daytona, a Royal Oak, a Day Date, a Nautilus, a Datograph, a PCC are all amazing for what they are and the space that they play in.

So to answer OP's question, like any new thing, I just think it maybe gives some more perspective and has actually made me appreciate Rolex more so than I perhaps did previously.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 12:55 AM   #52
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Rolex to Patek

I really enjoy both brands. My collection has changed a lot over the last few years. Recently I found myself in a position where I pretty much had all Rolex. I was ready to diversify and I sold off a few for my 5712. Now I really want a 5167... I’ll still keep a few Rolex models too. Two great brands to own!

Old 17 May 2018, 01:07 AM   #53
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

like others i too upgraded from rolex to patek. Had a SubC, and Explorer II and some other brands like Panerai, Omega, AP.

I sold all. my first patek was a 5711, followed by a 5167 2 months later. then upgraded the 5167 to a 5164.

To this day i have those 2 pateks and a Daytona 116500 white dial. And im on the top list for a SS BLRO in a couple months.

I think thats it for me. Would love a Patek PC but i think thats out of my league....for now.
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 01:47 AM   #54
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Sub ND / Hulk / DSSD / Exp / EXp 2 and Daytona 116250 all went and replaced with a 5711 blue and Aquanaut

Pickup ceramic 116500 white Daytona next month. Will be over the moon with this trio!!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 04:39 AM   #55
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Sub ND / Hulk / DSSD / Exp / EXp 2 and Daytona 116250 all went and replaced with a 5711 blue and Aquanaut

Pickup ceramic 116500 white Daytona next month. Will be over the moon with this trio!!
Congrats! DaytonaC white dial is amazing - I've worn mine about 75% of the time since picking it up early last month!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 05:05 AM   #56
bobodrink
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nautilus 3712
You gotta have both because they are so different. Ive had Daytonas, Subs, GMTs, but the detail work on the Patek is no match. You can feel some of the finishing on the Rolex is more raw, and the Patek is very very detailed. This means you wear the watches totally differently. Patek is in a unique club that is above Rolex, as great the Rolex is.
bobodrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 05:44 AM   #57
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Congrats! DaytonaC white dial is amazing - I've worn mine about 75% of the time since picking it up early last month!
Thanks!!!! Have to wait until my holiday when I fly over to collect
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 02:52 PM   #58
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I haven’t graduated yet lol but I’m loving both of my Rolex.
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 08:43 AM   #59
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

To me Patek is best at dress watches and Rolex best at sport watches. I bought my first Patek about 18 months ago at Calatrava 5296r and put on a deployant. It is one piece I will never sell. However I have a YG DD2 that is a keeper also. I had a 5167, but as 1William aptly said there are some bubbles right now and I sold it at a 20% profit after a few months. Too light, beautiful, but never warmed up to it. I think the Calatravas are a great value.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:50 AM   #60
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

In past 20 years, I’ve owned explorer, sub, yachmaster, GMT. My first PP is 5167 then few years later upgraded to 5726/1A. I never sold my rolex to upgrade any watches except for 1815 chrono - no regrets but do miss my GMT. Is a “go to” watch for any occasion and excellent value for quality of case, movement, etc.

One day, will I buy a Rolex again? Possibly, once the love for PP, ALS, AP is over...
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote