The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2012, 01:26 AM   #1
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Omega Planet Ocean Newbie Questions

Hi guys,
I have really started to take an interest in the Omega Planet Ocean line and I am finding all of the different models a bit confusing to organize in my head. I am sure I could research it, but sometimes it is better to ask the experts:)

I am also coming from the Rolex world, where other than the LVc, the SS Submariner (option-wise) is much like the Model T...you can have any color and bracelet option you want as long as it is black on oyster.

Here is what I have gathered so far... (Models Currently in Production)

1. There are two possible movements: 2500 or 8500, but does the movement determine the bezel material? It seems like 2500 is an aluminum bezel, but 8500 is a ceramic bezel (but not necessarily liquid metal).

2. There are two possible sizes: 42mm and 45.5mm, but are both sizes available in both aluminum and ceramic bezel models?

3. There are a couple dial options: White 6,9,12 or Orange 6,9,12, but are they both available with all bezel and size options?

4. I understand the liquid metal process, but my question is this, if you get a ceramic 8500, but NOT liquid metal, then how are the numbers applied? Are they just painted on and risk wearing off over time? Is the Liquid Metal a regular production watch or only part of a limited series?

Any other help you guys could provide in helping me sort through all this. I am used to wearing a 40mm Sub CLV, but I also have a DSSD. I am looking for a super comfortable daily wearer, but I love the 8500 movement, so I am leaning toward a 42mm 8500 with ceramic bezel and the Orange 6,9,12 on the dial. What would the reference number be of this configuration (if it exists)?

I will be heading to a couple ADs this weekend, but I want to have a good knowledge base before I try them on.

Sorry for all the basic questions...jeez, now I know how the newbies on the Rolex forum feel.
Thanks!
Old 25 May 2012, 02:53 AM   #2
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Hi Charles,

First off, the cal. 2500 Planet Ocean has been discontinued, but you can still find them knocking around in windows. The only current Planet Oceans use a cal. 8500 in the gent's size versions, whilst they use the cal. 8520 in their lady's model.

1) The cal. 2500 Planet Ocean's bezels were aluminium in both the black and orange variants, with the exception of the LiquidMetal limited edition - this had a black gloss ceramic bezel, with the LiquidMetal referring to the numerals and markers on the bezel. For the cal. 8500 Planet Ocean, there are three different bezel types:

a) Aluminium - this is for the Orange bezel model
b) Ceramic with Chromium Nitride markers - this is for the steel model, and comes in a matte black finish.
c) Ceramic with LiquidMetal markers - this is for the titanium model, and comes in a gloss blue finish

2) Yes, both the cal. 2500 and cal. 8500 models come in the two different gent's sizes. Exceptions include limited editions, and the new Titanium Liquidmetal - that only comes in the 45.5mm. The Chronograph version only comes in the 45.5mm size too

3) You can have the white painted/silver applied numerals and the orange painted/applied numerals with the black bezel, only the orange numerals with the orange bezel.

4) The ceramic bezels aren't painted - the bezels have the numerals and markers hollowed out and then filled with metal. The metal used is Chromium Nitride, which is exceptionally hard (even more so than the ceramic) and ends up being flush with the ceramic. It's a completely smooth surface.

Hope this helps!

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2012, 03:12 AM   #3
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Great answer Chris
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2012, 04:06 AM   #4
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Hope this helps!
Chris
WOW Chris...that is EXACTLY the information that I was looking for. I am just amazed that it was distilled into one perfectly comprehensive post.

Thank you so much for all the great insight. I now feel well-equipped to head to the AD armed with the knowledge I need to make a sound decision.

Old 25 May 2012, 04:15 AM   #5
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
WOW Chris...that is EXACTLY the information that I was looking for. I am just amazed that it was distilled into one perfectly comprehensive post.

Thank you so much for all the great insight. I now feel well-equipped to head to the AD armed with the knowledge I need to make a sound decision.

You'll be picking up a great watch, the 42mm steel with orange numerals and black bezel is right at the top of my wish list right now
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2012, 08:29 AM   #6
bamseladin
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Im also looking, to purchaise a PO, either the orange one - but the watch that im really looking for is the PO, whith blue dial and bezelring. my question: when can you buy the PO, whith blue dial/bezelring?!

have a nice day!
bamseladin is offline   Reply With Quote