The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 13 January 2015, 02:27 PM   #1
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC 114060
SubC 114060 after 6 months

I thought I would write a review on my experiences with the 114060 after the first 6 months of ownership.

How I came to choose the SubC:
For the past 5 or so years I have always liked the Subs, however I never got around to actually trying one on instore. This watch was a 30th birthday present so for the 6 or so months leading up to my birthday I started trying watches on that I liked. After a lot of research and narrowing down I picked the Panerai 112 or 372, breitling navitimer, IWC pilot chrono or a sub. I tried all of these watches on and while I liked the look of the non-rolex watches they didn’t have a ‘special’ feel to them that I was expecting. I tried a 14060 but didn’t think it sit quite right on my wrist. Finally the SubC! As soon as I put it on it just felt right. In pictures I was a bit sceptical with the squarer case, but on the wrist it just works so well. I also liked the idea of the ceramic bezel as this is my daily wearer so it will inevitably come into some knocks here and there. I understand that there are some purists that do not agree with a subC over a traditional lug hole model, but I never plan on selling any of my watches so collectability etc do not generally come into my decision making process.

Accuracy:
Initially the watch was about 6 or 7 secs fast each day. I found that after a month or so of continuous wear it came more accurate. I give the watch a full wind of 40 or so turns about once a week, store it at night crown up and it is accurate within +10 secs/week which I think is fantastic!

Bracelet:
The glide lock clasp on the SubC is fantastic! I live in a hot climate and find that in summer the glide lock allows me to increase the size slightly to wear more comfortably. It is also great when I go running so I can tighten it so it is not jiggling around my wrist so much. The solid links also give the watch more of a substantial feel when compared to previous models with hollow links. Overall the bracelet just feels so sturdy and robust.

Case Size:
Before buying the SubC all of my other watches have been larger than 40mm. In my mind I always thought that 40mm would be too small and that is largely the reason that I was considering other watches in the range of 43mm to 47mm. To be honest initially I did have reservations about the size but after a few weeks I realised it was just a perfect fit for me and even if Rolex offered the sub in a larger size I still think I would choose 40mm. For every day use I think it is a great fit.

Scratches:
I was lucky enough to purchase a watch fresh out of a box (pre-ordered) with all the plastics on and wrapped up, so no one else had even tried on the watch before me. Therefore it was perfect when I received it without even any hairline scratches. I was very careful for the first few weeks and tried not to lean my wrist on any surfaces, dreading the first scratch… once I found a few surface scratches I soon became a lot more comfortable and now have quite a few marks, although not too noticeable unless you look very closely.

Overall I think the SubC is a great watch and I am very glad that I chose it over the other watches I was considering. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing other watches but lately I have realised that on days when I wear something else I miss the SubC so much. It is such a versatile and comfortable watch and I would recommend it to anyone!

Apologies for the long post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (102.5 KB, 5767 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (115.9 KB, 5729 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (106.9 KB, 5739 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (109.8 KB, 5725 views)
2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 02:34 PM   #2
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Very nice review - thanks for taking the time to post.

I like how "well used" your Sub is - as it should be. Also agree with your assessment... the 114060 is a great reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (155.2 KB, 5654 views)
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Great reference. Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your thoughts.
Old 13 January 2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Good review, hope you enjoy the watch for many years. The bracelet and clasp are such great improvements, and the hands also seem a bit more substantial than in the older 'm' models. A solid piece.
Old 13 January 2015, 09:59 PM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Good review, thanks
Old 13 January 2015, 10:22 PM   #6
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Great review, thanks for sharing.
melons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 10:46 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Graet review and personal ownerships story. Congrats and enjoy for years to come!
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 10:02 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice review.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 04:50 AM   #9
Cajones
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. Awesome watch!
Cajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 06:52 AM   #10
walshie458
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBc/EXP2/DSSD-DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2106 View Post
I thought I would write a review on my experiences with the 114060 after the first 6 months of ownership.

How I came to choose the SubC:
For the past 5 or so years I have always liked the Subs, however I never got around to actually trying one on instore. This watch was a 30th birthday present so for the 6 or so months leading up to my birthday I started trying watches on that I liked. After a lot of research and narrowing down I picked the Panerai 112 or 372, breitling navitimer, IWC pilot chrono or a sub. I tried all of these watches on and while I liked the look of the non-rolex watches they didn’t have a ‘special’ feel to them that I was expecting. I tried a 14060 but didn’t think it sit quite right on my wrist. Finally the SubC! As soon as I put it on it just felt right. In pictures I was a bit sceptical with the squarer case, but on the wrist it just works so well. I also liked the idea of the ceramic bezel as this is my daily wearer so it will inevitably come into some knocks here and there. I understand that there are some purists that do not agree with a subC over a traditional lug hole model, but I never plan on selling any of my watches so collectability etc do not generally come into my decision making process.

Accuracy:
Initially the watch was about 6 or 7 secs fast each day. I found that after a month or so of continuous wear it came more accurate. I give the watch a full wind of 40 or so turns about once a week, store it at night crown up and it is accurate within +10 secs/week which I think is fantastic!

Bracelet:
The glide lock clasp on the SubC is fantastic! I live in a hot climate and find that in summer the glide lock allows me to increase the size slightly to wear more comfortably. It is also great when I go running so I can tighten it so it is not jiggling around my wrist so much. The solid links also give the watch more of a substantial feel when compared to previous models with hollow links. Overall the bracelet just feels so sturdy and robust.

Case Size:
Before buying the SubC all of my other watches have been larger than 40mm. In my mind I always thought that 40mm would be too small and that is largely the reason that I was considering other watches in the range of 43mm to 47mm. To be honest initially I did have reservations about the size but after a few weeks I realised it was just a perfect fit for me and even if Rolex offered the sub in a larger size I still think I would choose 40mm. For every day use I think it is a great fit.

Scratches:
I was lucky enough to purchase a watch fresh out of a box (pre-ordered) with all the plastics on and wrapped up, so no one else had even tried on the watch before me. Therefore it was perfect when I received it without even any hairline scratches. I was very careful for the first few weeks and tried not to lean my wrist on any surfaces, dreading the first scratch… once I found a few surface scratches I soon became a lot more comfortable and now have quite a few marks, although not too noticeable unless you look very closely.

Overall I think the SubC is a great watch and I am very glad that I chose it over the other watches I was considering. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing other watches but lately I have realised that on days when I wear something else I miss the SubC so much. It is such a versatile and comfortable watch and I would recommend it to anyone!

Apologies for the long post.
It is a Great watch. you must try a Rubber B strap. Great for all sports, and you can keep the Rolex clasp.
walshie458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
Great review,I've had mine since August 2012 and it has the most wrist time.
I particularly like the fact that because there is no date if it hasn't been on for a while just wind it and wear it.
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 12:32 PM   #12
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 03:05 PM   #13
Choo Yao Chuen
"TRF" Member

I share the same sentiments and would have wrote the exact as review-:)

Thanks for sharing.
Choo Yao Chuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 03:45 PM   #14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshie458 View Post
It is a Great watch. you must try a Rubber B strap. Great for all sports, and you can keep the Rolex clasp.
Thanks. I've been thinking about a rubberB strap. My boss just got one to replace the leather on his 116515 and he loves it.
Old 17 January 2015, 04:41 AM   #15
KentDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060 SubC
I've had the same model watch for about the same time as the OP and I would echo and agree with every word written in the review. A superb watch to wear and very comfortable at all times.
KentDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2015, 11:17 PM   #16
Tk421
"TRF" Member

Watch: MoonSub
Thanks for the great review. Anticipating the arrival of mine on order...
Tk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 05:28 AM   #17
T01
"TRF" Member

Nice review!
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 05:46 AM   #18
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

really enjoyed your review and enthusiasm. thanks for posting.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 09:44 AM   #19
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Fantastic review and update. Love the 114060. Truly one of the best SS models currently available.
Old 25 January 2015, 04:20 AM   #20
Afghanvet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, SD4K
Good scoop... Thanks!
Afghanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2015, 08:47 PM   #21
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. An enjoyable read.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 07:02 PM   #22
"TRF" Member

thanks for all the kind words everyone!
Old 30 January 2015, 08:30 PM   #23
sheridantony
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Great review, thanks. I am reaching 6 months with my Sub and your review encourages me to write one as well. But before that, the only observation from me is that I found storing my watch at night caused a slight gain and loss over time, so now I just wear it permanently. Am averaging a gain of 3 seconds a month at the moment!

sheridantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 09:32 PM   #24
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Great review
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 03:02 PM   #25
sandysandy8888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Thanks for sharing.
sandysandy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 01:27 AM   #26
KentDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060 SubC
sheridantony wrote;
Quote:
Great review, thanks. I am reaching 6 months with my Sub and your review encourages me to write one as well. But before that, the only observation from me is that I found storing my watch at night caused a slight gain and loss over time, so now I just wear it permanently. Am averaging a gain of 3 seconds a month at the moment!
I find exactly the same with mine!
KentDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 07:38 PM   #27
mechanicaltime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Thanks for the nice review. Mine was gaining about five minutes per week. I had to send back to the RSC to be regulated. Now it's within a few seconds per month. I really like the SubC.
Old 4 May 2015, 06:31 AM   #28
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Awesome review I to am thinking about the new Sub C and really like what I read. Just as you stated I think that 40mm would be to small but now I am thinking it would be perfect. Thanks again it was very helpful for me.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 11:18 AM   #29
watchvic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Great writeup and pics too! You didn't mention how cool the blue Chromalight is at night
watchvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2015, 06:08 AM   #30
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
I love the no-date dial..it really shows how beautiful the watch is.. I have a SubC WITH date and love it too.. my next one will be a sub with no date.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote