The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 May 2018, 03:56 PM   #1
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Rolex to Patek

I presently own a SS Sub (my first rolex). Have had it for 5 yrs and love it. I picked up a Speedy last yr. The sub gets more wrist time.

Two other watches on my wish list are Datejust (incoming next yr. on my 40th bday) and a Day Date (holy grail) yellow gold on white dial.

I never bothered about Patek until recently. The more I read about the history and the craftsmanship the more I got intrigued with the brand. Minute repeaters were the ones which totally bowled me over.

Question: Any die hard rolex fans graduated to a Patek? Will be great if you could share your experience on your transition from Rolex to PP. Which PP did you get first and did your opinion change about your rolex watch/watches?

Thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ECLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 04:58 PM   #2
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
I had two Rolex watches (SS SubC and YG SubC) before I bought my first Patek. My first PP was a 5167 Aquanaut followed by a 5711 Nautilus the same year.

I still appreciate and wear my Rolex watches often.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Hudsonj
"TRF" Member

ROLEX has its entirely different features and we all love it, PP on the other hand is an excellent upgrade and you cant't give them the same values or try to compare them. just own as many luxury watches as you can. They are good watches!
Hudsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 06:08 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i generally prefer Patek however i will always own Rolex too.

IMO you can be a Rolex owner and not a Patek owner but you really cant be a Patek owner and not also a Rolex owner. Either way, you need a Rolex.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I own 3 Rolex and my wife owns 1. My first Patek was a Calatrava. My wife bought it for me at Harrods in London. I still have it and I think it is the ultimate dress watch. My second was a Nautilus. It is gone now. I got tired of sending it back home for very expensive and lengthy "vacations". My wife still has her Patek 24. It also is accustomed to the same "vacations". Her 24 just needed a battery. They would not just change the battery. The watch had to go in for a full service. That took about 6 months and well over $1000.

My experience with Pateks is probably a rarity, but I would not own another.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Zippy+
"TRF" Member

Yeap let’s say a few Rolex to my first patek 5712 this year, couldn’t part with any in the end ..
Zippy+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I own 3 Rolex and my wife owns 1. My first Patek was a Calatrava. My wife bought it for me at Harrods in London. I still have it and I think it is the ultimate dress watch. My second was a Nautilus. It is gone now. I got tired of sending it back home for very expensive and lengthy "vacations". My wife still has her Patek 24. It also is accustomed to the same "vacations". Her 24 just needed a battery. They would not just change the battery. The watch had to go in for a full service. That took about 6 months and well over $1000.

My experience with Pateks is probably a rarity, but I would not own another.
Patek Salons do free battery changes without doing service. My wife's Gondolo had it's first service in 2016 at 20 years of age (was away for 3 months). Only previous costs over 20 years were new straps. I would not hesitate to recommend a quartz Patek especially if you have access to a Salon.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:16 PM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Graduate to Patek? Own both brands but never graduated from Rolex. I did however graduate from college.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:35 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
While I appreciate the history and the styling on many PP watches I can not buy one. Cost is significant, play the games with the AD's on what they have and can sell to you, don't even think about service times and cost. Add all of that up and it does not work for me. There are a lot of other brands in the market which can be accessed with as good a history, VC, JLC, etc. and be purchased at a discount with reasonable service. When the current PP/Rolex bubble pops I may look again, but not now.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:38 PM   #10
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i generally prefer Patek however i will always own Rolex too.

IMO you can be a Rolex owner and not a Patek owner but you really cant be a Patek owner and not also a Rolex owner. Either way, you need a Rolex.
Good point

Inadvertently helping my decision making too
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 09:46 PM   #11
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I sold / consolidated my Hulk / Daytona / Deepsea / Explorer / Sub ND for a 5711 and 5167

No regrets and absolutley loving the PPs but my next watch purchase will be one Rolex for the now and then “tougher” occasion to keep my PPs in tip top condition. This is my next priority before I attempt to upgrade the 5167 to a 5164

I agree with Tylers assessment and wish I had kept just one Rolex.
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 10:11 PM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Both essential, 5167, 5711 were first
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 10:46 PM   #13
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Own both; rolexes are the ultimate tank/sports. Patek is one of the best dressy elegant watches. As a rolex owner you will appreciate both for what they are
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 12:28 AM   #14
GDOG
"TRF" Member

Interesting question. I’ve been into watches long before I could afford any quality watches. When my first company sold, I bought a Rolex GMT as a reward/memorial and really loved and appreciated it. I have since given this to my successful adult daughter who wears it often

Then as I became more successful, I bought many watches (many more Rolex..and others) and enjoyed them all to varying degrees- but Patek(as a brand) was always the epitome of the best...but wow, the price.

Then I got to the point where I could afford to buy any Patek(s) I wanted- and I did. They were/are fantastic works of art, which I truly loved and appreciated. Unfortunatley I still felt bad when I scratched them, or worse yet never wore them for lack of occasion, or fear of banging and scratching.

In the end, I am not a collector, but a wearer. I wear most any of my Rolex’s for anything from business meetings, to the beach, or working on my cars. I still have lust and appreciation for Patek as they are worthy of their high place in the watch world, but just don’t fit well with my casual lifestyle.
I guess you would say I graduated, and then went back.
GDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 12:32 AM   #15
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Each brand has iconic pieces and to be honest depending on how old you are the pieces you may want to wear will change over time.

When I started I'd never have worn a YG DD, now it's near the top of my list to acquire despite having several Pateks and other nice pieces.

Since I picked it up in December I'm still wearing my Omega Speedy 60th on a NATO as my day to day wear during the week. So I think there's room for everything.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 12:44 AM   #16
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Rolex makes the best steel sports watches, while Patek makes the most elegant gold watches. They go perfect together and serve different functions.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 12:50 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, transitioned from Patek to Rolex. Patek service times slipped to seriously unconscionable levels combined with factors such as far less personal feeling of the brand... combined with a personal lifestyle that became far more active. As you know, you can beat the living $%^& out of a Rolex and it works great, a Patek is for dress-up or sporty looking only really imho.

Also, resale can be hit and miss, and if you dare wear a Patek just remember each and every scratch guarantees lower resale. So best bet is to never wear (safe queen), or send to service and wait 6 months to get back to resale 'freshly serviced and polished'.

Generally, i always had Pateks factory serviced and polished, and then offered them for sale "service sealed". This means like new condition 'guaranteed' and Patek service warranty to new buyer just in case.

JMHO

If you love a Patek minute repeater with tourbillon, then THAT is what you should buy when you have the means. Anything else is just a compromise on what you truly want. And yes, would love a Patek repeater and ALMOST did a deal for a black dial/rg 3939H with the help of David many years ago, almost. Nowadays, would need to think of it like a track car where if it crash and burned i'd not care about a 'total loss'. Again, JMHO
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 01:12 AM   #18
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLS18 View Post

Question: Any die hard rolex fans graduated to a Patek? Will be great if you could share your experience on your transition from Rolex to PP. Which PP did you get first and did your opinion change about your rolex watch/watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, had a few Rolexes over about 10 years (Seadweller, Daytona and Yachtmaster). Now I own PP 5167 and AP 15202 and it would be hard to go back. It's like Mercedes vs. Rolls Royce or Porsche vs. Ferrari. Rolex is great, and for many situations is perfect, but PP is next level for sure. It's not really apparent so much in pictures but it sure is on the wrist.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 01:25 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Rolex is my favorite brand. Patek is probably second. There was a time when there was an easy transition from rolex to patek by getting a 5167 or 5711. Just three years ago I was able to do that at a discount no less. Sadly those times are gone.

Whether I like to admit it or not both have very strong brands which plays into the psyche of these sorts of purchases for myself and many others.
Old 4 May 2018, 01:31 AM   #20
tng11
"TRF" Member

I thought for years I had "graduated" from Rolex to other brands like AP. Didn't own a Rolex for almost 8 years. I came back to Rolex last year, and really appreciate what they are. They're not on the same playing field, but they round out the collection very well for a versatile, anytime and practical watch.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 04:24 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
I had two Rolex watches (SS SubC and YG SubC) before I bought my first Patek. My first PP was a 5167 Aquanaut followed by a 5711 Nautilus the same year.

I still appreciate and wear my Rolex watches often.
Very similar story, I bought a Subc then joined this forum in earnest and then saw Felix's blue YG pics and bought that, and then later I bought a Nautilus and then the Aquanaut. I like the Rolexes, hardy and tough, and they make beautiful sunburst dials, but the craftsmanship, finesse and feel of a Patek is a different level, so I gladly have both in my collection.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 05:10 AM   #22
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Graduate to Patek? Own both brands but never graduated from Rolex. I did however graduate from college.
Heh, nice Ken.

To the OP, I'm getting there in "graduating" after having a very heavy dosage Rolex/Omega collection. I'm really in love with Patek's watchmaking/philosophy/finishing right now but am not convinced the brand is necessarily above Rolex in all aspects.....gripes about service times, durability/ruggedness, resale are all valid points....I just think they are very different brands that excel in different areas. I still feel like there are more interesting Rolex watches I'd pick up versus Patek at the moment....but that could come from the fact that I'm not part of the top .5%ers that can drop $150k+ on watches non-stop. A lot of Patek pieces (especially grand complications) are extremely interesting, but certainly not priced for the mere mortal.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 05:12 AM   #23
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

It's a two way street for me between Rolexes and Pateks. Should be able to move concurrently in either direction at any time.
Old 4 May 2018, 05:29 AM   #24
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Monday-Friday: Rolex. All occasions.
Saturday: Whatever.
Sunday Dress: Patek.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 10:14 AM   #25
xseal
"TRF" Member

1984 GMT Master. Then 30 years later a rose gold Daytona and DSSD. Then a 5124g Gondola. Then a 5164 Aqua. Then a 5070P. Just got my wife a 5118 blue dial. Feels like a natural progression to me.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 01:07 PM   #26
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I own a few Rolexes, omegas, and AP's all stainless pieces. I have tried to make the transition into a Patek aquanaut or nautilus with no luck for the past year. Call it hype, bad timing, stainless steel market watch frenzy, etc. My opinion is the hoops, hurdles, and begging you have to do just to possibly buy one from an Ad is absurd. The whole buy a Patek timepiece experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have no issue waiting 6 months if I am guaranteed one but having to kiss every ad's ass is to much for me.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 03:01 PM   #27
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
I own a few Rolexes, omegas, and AP's all stainless pieces. I have tried to make the transition into a Patek aquanaut or nautilus with no luck for the past year. Call it hype, bad timing, stainless steel market watch frenzy, etc. My opinion is the hoops, hurdles, and begging you have to do just to possibly buy one from an Ad is absurd. The whole buy a Patek timepiece experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have no issue waiting 6 months if I am guaranteed one but having to kiss every ad's ass is to much for me.
Dare I say....don't give up on the brand just because of the Nautilus thing. You don't have to go through an AD to enjoy great complications/grand complications at significant savings over MSRP. IMO that's where the brand shines anyway and you truly understand why after you scrutinize one of their finer pieces.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 03:16 PM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
you would probably have the same issue if you wanted a Daytona C so its not just a Patek thing. IMO the experience being bad is more of an AD issues anyway than a Patek issue. I would work on finding the right AD first.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 10:45 PM   #29
dannyp
Banned

Count me in the group that owned a PP first, then a Rolex a number of years later. Both are great to own; I found my Aquanaut a bit to delicate for every single day, so acquired an IWC and Explorer II to add to the rotation. Love all of them.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 12:41 AM   #30
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I still feel like there are more interesting Rolex watches I'd pick up versus Patek at the moment....but that could come from the fact that I'm not part of the top .5%ers that can drop $150k+ on watches non-stop. A lot of Patek pieces (especially grand complications) are extremely interesting, but certainly not priced for the mere mortal.
You'd think that but I think if you buy right and are a bit flexible about what you want you can still get in for a reasonable price.

Hodinkee has a great article on the 3970 (perpetual chrono, one of the super classic GCs). Yeah it's 36mm but wearing my 5116R the 36mm doesn't bother me.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...e-3970-history

Depending on series and metal there are some for sale right now in great condition for ~$80k; and that's for one of the all time classic movements hand finished in a classic Patek GC.

By reasonable I mean I suspect many people who own Patek pieces on this sub could move around/trade some watches and pick one up without a lot of hassle.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote