The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 April 2009, 06:11 AM   #1
anglykos
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bedside alarm
Sea Dweller seemingly behaving strangely. Expert's opinion?

I recently purchased an 'F' serial SD from a reputable forum member. The watch was a safe queen with almost zero use. I decided it should be my daily wearer so during the past week i'ts been getting wrist time. However I did notice on a few occasions the following: when i unscrew the crown (fully) half the time it does not spring out. It is as though the spring jams. Furthermore, when adjusting the time it is rather stiff. Nothing like my Z GMTII. Today I am travelling across different time zones and it became apparent that iit seems to 'catch' when attempting to adjust the hour - forward or back - that is, as i advance the hour at some point the winder 'skips' as though it has caught on something. Otherwise the watch keeps excellent time. Could anyone throw a little light on this please? Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. Manos
anglykos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2009, 12:25 AM   #2
anglykos
"TRF" Member

anyone?
Old 25 April 2009, 01:31 AM   #3
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

I think the best thing to do if you have any concerns about the movement is to get it in for a service. If its been sitting for a few years not getting used, it may well need a lube up. The lack of "spring" in a Sea Dweller is not unusual though - all the ones I've seen are like that, whereas the Subs/GMTs tend to pop out a lot more readily.
Old 25 April 2009, 02:10 AM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

Although you give a good description of the problem, I would hesitate to say specifically what could be wrong without actually seeing the watch.

The smart thing to do is to take it to a Rolex AD, or accredited watchmaker, and have it serviced. With the warranty from the service you protect yourself from any other problems that may appear, and you have the peace of mind the watch has been repaired to Rolex standards.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2009, 04:13 AM   #5
anglykos
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for your feedback.

Whilst on stopover in Dubai I asked the Rolex salesman if I could examine an SD that they had on display just to compare. Sure enough that one was very smooth and there was a healthy spring from the crown. He looked at mine and it did seem odd to him.

Whilst it is important for me to have a general understanding of what might be wrong, the wise thing as you suggest is to head straight for the AD - which I will do upon my return. I guess sitting in a safe for the best part of five years didn't do much good if it wasn't wound occasionally.