The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 10 March 2021, 01:33 AM   #1
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Breitling Select - Monthly Subscription Plan

Did everyone else get the email from Breitling this morning on the Select plan? Seems like you pay a one time fee of $450 and then monthly amounts of $129 to be able to test drive a Breitling watch. The disclaimer does mention that the watches being offered are "selected, dedicated assortment of fully refurbished watches to ensure the full experience of Breitling’s high-quality products."

It also mentions that there are deals offered to purchase the watch you wore and it sounds like to can build credits as well towards future purchases. For someone on the fence, it's not a bad idea but the initial fee is a little tough to swallow.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:42 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I saw that and looked at the information. Not real up on this but the devil is in the details. The watches that are available and the ability to use the money payed toward a purchase would help make a choice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 04:30 AM   #3
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Yes, I got it yesterday. Looks like you pick a a choice of 3 different watches that have been "refurbished" None on a bracelet to avoid sizing issues, Pay $450 down and then $129 a month for 12 months. at the end you will have paid $1998.00. You get the first watch for 4 months, then the second for 4 months and then the third. At the end of each period if you decide you want to buy the watch you can get a discount on it.

It does not appear to be much of a deal other than getting to try a watch for a few months. In the end I think you can buy one brand new with a discount for about the same price as this program fee. So say you choose a Superocean 42. You pay $1998 to "rent" it. You decide to buy it for a unknown amount. But let's just say $1000. That's $3000 for the refurbished watch on a strap. That is about what I pay every day at my AD. Even if they sent you a new watch, Still no bargain to me.

Of course there all B17/B13 movements. No B20/B01 in house. I may consider it on a $8k watch. But a interesting concept. never heard of this before.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 05:08 AM   #4
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

I would like to see 2 pieces of information added to there program. 1) Can you get the watch on a bracelet and 2) how much would it be for the watch (up front) if you decided to buy it?

I think that would go a long way in helping me make my choice should I decide to purchase.
Old 11 March 2021, 07:00 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm sure some might enjoy this program but given some of the deals on pre-owned Breitling's I would never partake in this. After one year I could actually own a nice pre-owned piece and get the next.

It would be good for those new to watches who are unsure and actually want to try. Any Breitling I buy at this stage is being kept, for life.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 07:40 AM   #6
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw16610 View Post
i'm sure some might enjoy this program but given some of the deals on pre-owned breitling's i would never partake in this. After one year i could actually own a nice pre-owned piece and get the next.

It would be good for those new to watches who are unsure and actually want to try. Any breitling i buy at this stage is being kept, for life.
+1
Old 11 March 2021, 07:50 AM   #7
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

This is probably a arrangement to sell off watches traded in on the "trade your watch" program threw Crown and Caliber. That's the only reason I think Breitling would have refurbished watches in the first place. I would like it better to just have a online sale on refurbished watches at a good discount. Now that I would be interested in!
Old 12 March 2021, 03:17 AM   #8
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like a future discontinued program to me.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 03:40 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Looks like a future discontinued program to me.

I agree...the premise of avoiding buyer’s remorse is worthwhile, but it says something about weak demand methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 04:19 AM   #10
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Hmmm, I don't know about that. Navitimer and Superoceans are and has always been top of the list for annual sales. My AD reorders weekly and he says Breitling has been strong the last couple of years. Panerai has slowed somewhat.

I was talking to him yesterday about this. He seems to think that the 17366 will soon be B20366 models. Meaning they may be a move to all in house in 2022?

All models listed in the program are either B17 or B13 movements. Possible I guess. A superocean with a in house movement will give some serious competition I would think.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
Old 12 March 2021, 05:41 AM   #11
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
That is pretty wild pricing. I bought my Superocean Steelfish for a little over the price of 15 months of this program!!!
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 06:17 AM   #12
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Seems like will be a huge flop but who knows. They might have a market/clientele for that model.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 11:45 AM   #13
Nihon_Ni
"TRF" Member

To me it sounds like a car lease, but you have no idea how much they will sell the watch for at the end of the deal. It will be interesting to see how this works out, but I won't be participating.
Nihon_Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 11:16 PM   #14
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

let me try to chime in & clear things up a bit?

these questions have been asked by many - and it seems we should have been much clearer in communication here, as it isn't something that any brand has done before, as far as we know.

It isn't another financing, leasing, or rental concept - and most definitely isn't a "sign of weak demand".

Breitling has been outperforming the industry for the last four years - and this isn't Georges Kern (or me) saying this, that's what the Morgan Stanley & LuxeConsult "State of Swiss Watchmaking in 2021" has again confirmed when published this week, a quote: "Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Richard Mille, as well as Breitling gaining further share last year" and "Amongst the bigger brands, the key winners were Audemars Piguet, Rolex, Cartier, and Breitling."

some q&a that may explain why Breitling is doing this:

"What is the purpose of this offer as far as Breitling is concerned? Why not just buy and sell trade-in watches?"

This offer caters to Breitling aficionados, to give them the freedom to try several models during an extended period of time and from the experience determine what is the best Breitling watch for them… or keep enjoying many more It is very different than the trading-in and trade-up that the brands actually already offers on Breitling.com.

"What watches are included in the offer? What is the typical value of each watch? What condition will they be in? What will you do with the watches customers wear and return?"

Watches available from the #BreitlingSelect collection come from a selected, dedicated assortment of fully refurbished watches to ensure the full experience of Breitling’s high-quality products.

Additionally, each strap (other than metal bracelets) will be automatically replaced between two rotations..

The watches from the Subscription range across most Breitling collections (Superocean, Avenger, Navitimer…). Their average value stands at $4,900, all watches being in refurbished condition. Each watch is refurbished after each rotation, checked, polished if needed, and its strap is changed for a brand new one, all done directly by Breitling of course.

Here is the current collection (note that some are already at limited availability) - more models will be added soon, including SOH:

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/brei...ches/standard/

"I get to try three pre-owned Breitling watches during that year. Is that four months with each watch so I always have one?"

You choose the duration for each rotation (try-out experience), ranging between 1 month and 6 months for each. So according to your wishes you could start with 2 watches during 5 months each, 1 during 2 months, or only 2 watches for 6 months each or 2 watches for 3 months each, the remaining for 6 months, whatever works best for you…

Soon we will allow for additional try-out opportunities via a #BreitlingSelect extension, unlocking a larger number of watches over those 12 months.

"I pay $450 up front and $129 per month, so a total of almost $2,000 in the first year, right?"

Yes, correct, a basic fee of $450 and then $129 per month over 12 months, the duration of #BreitlingSelect service

The $450 "registration fee" includes up to 6 next-day tracked and insured courier shipments and also covers part of the refurbishment costs; each watch is thoroughly refurbished by Breitling before it is enjoyed by a subscriber. This overhaul includes fitting a brand new strap, of course.

The monthly fees will be converted into Squad points that can be redeemed to benefit from the Special offer Breitling will present to you. So the special offer price will be composed as follows, without any displayed discount: Special Offer = RSP – CPO status – Squad Points Valorization”, truly a tailored offer for each watch and for each customer. When you purchase an offered watch, the program ends, your monthly fees stop.

"Also, things like shipping & insurance, is this covered by the program's monthly costs? Like if the watch was stolen or damaged while on loan?"

Shipping is of course covered in the #BreitlingSelect offering, next-day tracked and insured as you would expect.

The program does not cover insurance while at the subscriber who can likely add it to his homeowner insurance if not already included.

Standard damage (normal wear and tear) is of course covered on top of the regular warranty scope and is part of the refurbishment plan, #BreitlingSelect subscribers should live with their watches to fully experience them.

Extensive damage (systematic destruction with a hammer for instance or damages beyond normal wear and tear) is not covered, nor encouraged ;)

happy to try & answer any additional questions that may arise!

sorry, forgot the metal bracelet question: we are discussing this, still have no smart answer to the individual sizing needs.
WatchFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 12:06 AM   #15
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Thanks "WatchFred" That's great information. It makes more since now. I said no to this program at first, but may have to rethink this a bit. I will have to weigh it against what my AD can do.
Old 13 March 2021, 01:23 AM   #16
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the clarifications, though I remain skeptical of the program's success.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 04:26 AM   #17
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the clarification there. I still wouldn't do this but can better see the appeal. For some collectors, once it reaches a certain stage it could be a cool way to enjoy many other watches in various price ranges for fun or to see what the next steps are.

It's always nice to see a brand be a first mover to test a concept like this. Other independent services have touted similar ones, where for a membership fee you basically get to rent watches.

With the data on a lot of Gen Y and Gen Z being a bit more expereitnal vs. focused on ownership than the typical baby boomer it will be interesting to see how this plays out and the demographics of participants.

Then we must remember this general of social media folks always looking for the next thing to "flex" for lack of a better word online. It might give some of them the ability to convey a sense of wealth some apparently like to do on those platforms.

The key takeaway for me is it'll be a nice opportunity to attract more of the younger generation to Swiss watches with an easier way to get their feet wet in the real world vs. just trying a piece on at a boutique. As a watch lover and enthusiast it would be great for more to be interested in this hobby as trends shift gradually.

Only time will tell how this goes but appreciate someone from the brand seemingly taking the time to participate and inform us.
Old 14 March 2021, 12:47 AM   #18
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Breitling has also initiated a extended international warranty I see. $375 And insurance via re-directed website to jewelers mutual.
Old 14 March 2021, 04:14 PM   #19
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Breitling has also initiated a extended international warranty I see. $375 And insurance via re-directed website to jewelers mutual.
They really want me to buy that Chronomat 44 to go along with my Chrono SuperOcean it seems.

So what's the warranty period now? I like having that extra time, one less thing to worry about if the timekeeping goes out of spec during that timeframe.
Old 15 March 2021, 02:24 AM   #20
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

They need to decrease production so they don't have to do things like this.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 03:49 AM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

5 years on in house, 2 years on others. The extended warranty is 2 years and I believe 3 years on in house.
Old 15 March 2021, 10:36 AM   #22
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
5 years on in house, 2 years on others. The extended warranty is 2 years and I believe 3 years on in house.
That's a pretty decent warranty coverage period. I remember hearing a while back that for purchases new from the AD Breitling took care of the first service for you years down the road when needed.
Old 15 March 2021, 08:44 PM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
That's a pretty decent warranty coverage period. I remember hearing a while back that for purchases new from the AD Breitling took care of the first service for you years down the road when needed.
That would be nice. I have never been offered that. I have never serviced a watch on a pre determined schedule. I usually wait until signs appear that my watch needs service.

Having said that, I plan on experimenting with one of my Superocean's. I am going to do the maintenance and full service at there recommend intervals. I want to see if it makes any difference. And I want this one for a long time. I will see if it makes any difference against identical models not serviced at recommend intervals.
Old 15 March 2021, 11:59 PM   #24
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Only time I ever heard of that was with the Emergency watches. I thought I remember hearing the first service is free with those but that was years ago.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 01:32 AM   #25
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That would be nice. I have never been offered that. I have never serviced a watch on a pre determined schedule. I usually wait until signs appear that my watch needs service.

Having said that, I plan on experimenting with one of my Superocean's. I am going to do the maintenance and full service at there recommend intervals. I want to see if it makes any difference. And I want this one for a long time. I will see if it makes any difference against identical models not serviced at recommend intervals.

A lot of these watches, especially the ones you have seem to have workhorse movements in them that stand the test of time. It all depends on usage and a multitude of other factors.

I'm more in line with the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" type mentality. Of course for a watch being used in water or simply in general, it would be nice after 5-7 years or so depending on the manufacturer recommended service intervals to at least get it pressure tested.

The only other thing that would prompt me to seek a service sooner would be a movement running considerably out if spec. For other brands in the past I had this happen after 3 years of daily use and saw a pattern. A lot has changed since then though and I think it'll be a cool experiment for you to conduct.

Any parts that require replacement will be changed or presented to you at service time as an option, it's more a fear of moisture ingress for a watch that for example has been new old stock, sitting in a safe for over 10 years. Albeit an extreme example it highlights how keeping moisture out is #1. That is unless the movement grinds to a halt due to a failed component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Only time I ever heard of that was with the Emergency watches. I thought I remember hearing the first service is free with those but that was years ago.
Ah, maybe that's where I heard it. This was indeed years ago and an AD told me. Although I gladly pay Chronograph service costs at the manufacturer it would be nice.

With the extended warranty coverage though I wouldn't be surprised if many years down the road they would take it in to do an adjustment or service to keep it working as new.

The worst part about a service isn't even the cost. It's being without your beloved watch (even as a collector with many others) for 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer.

During the first wave of Covid my watch from another brand was stuck at the service centre in downtown Toronto for several months, roughly 5 to be exact. It was painful but made picking it up from the AD after that much sweeter.
Old 16 March 2021, 03:08 AM   #26
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=RW16610;11319125]A lot of these watches, especially the ones you have seem to have workhorse movements in them that stand the test of time. It all depends on usage and a multitude of other factors.

I'm more in line with the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" type mentality. Of course for a watch being used in water or simply in general, it would be nice after 5-7 years or so depending on the manufacturer recommended service intervals to at least get it pressure tested.

The only other thing that would prompt me to seek a service sooner would be a movement running considerably out if spec. For other brands in the past I had this happen after 3 years of daily use and saw a pattern. A lot has changed since then though and I think it'll be a cool experiment for you to conduct.

Any parts that require replacement will be changed or presented to you at service time as an option, it's more a fear of moisture ingress for a watch that for example has been new old stock, sitting in a safe for over 10 years. Albeit an extreme example it highlights how keeping moisture out is #1. That is unless the movement grinds to a halt due to a failed component.

I am having it pressure tested at my AD every year but only to 300 meters. That's all there tester will do. Every second year a "maintenance service" for new gaskets, timing check, and actual water test to 2062 ft. (1650 + 25%) at the factory. ($170) and I think I am going for the full service at 5 year intervals. ($490). So in reality a maintenance service at 2 1/2 years and full service at 5 years. The one I wear is in water daily. Of course no where near any substantial depth. But also exposed to chemicals as well. Just to be on the safe side. My others I am going to just wait. Maybe every 7 to 10 years?
But then again at my age, they may never get serviced. I may run out of time.
Old 16 March 2021, 10:19 AM   #27
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

That sounds like a good plan, Wayne. With the modern gaskets and designs that seems possible. Some brands have changed their recommended service intervals to every 10 years or so.

Certainly nothing that causes me to worry but worth being mindful of. These things were built to withstand some incredibly harsh condition.
Old 16 March 2021, 10:34 PM   #28
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan, Wayne. With the modern gaskets and designs that seems possible. Some brands have changed their recommended service intervals to every 10 years or so.

Certainly nothing that causes me to worry but worth being mindful of. These things were built to withstand some incredibly harsh condition.
That's exactly what my AD watch tech said. He said the ETA/ Sellita will go as much as 10 years or much longer as well with modern lubricant's. Especially COSC grades. And in particular Breitling's and older Tudor due to the excellent work those company's do to the movements before casing them in there brands. He has been to the factory and watched them subject Superocean and Avengers to incredible shock and vibrations. Some more than a human could survive and still run perfect. They always have, and only recently have other company's started revealing there test to 5G's. Old news to Breitling. His advise was the same as yours really. Wait till it breaks or malfunctions. It could be many years from now. And they include worn parts as part of the service cost. So no real advantage to routine service really. Except water resistance. That he said have checked every 2 years and replace when necessary. May have to rethink my plan?