The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2021, 05:59 PM   #421
GS93108
"TRF" Member

This watch and this collaboration turned the conversation very sour very quickly, just as to be expected of the internet in general.

AP will have the last laugh, they'll thumb their nose at the naysayers, whether those are competitors, journalists or clients.

Nothing gets done by standing still. I don't personally like the BP model (but I love the 42mm Concept) nor do I like most of the ROs with Toubillons stuck in the middle of the dial like an eye sore, but thank god that we don't all like the same thing.

Personally I subscribe to the ethos that if you aren't upsetting people then you aren't trying hard enough. I hope AP carries on upsetting people for years to come.

p.s.

Next year the RO has its 50th bday. There are going to be some big changes, not just dials, colours, cases, but serious innovations. If you thought that the vitriol around a Concept watch was a lot wait until next year when AP mess with the darling RO, then we'll see some real noise.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 07:17 PM   #422
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
This watch and this collaboration turned the conversation very sour very quickly, just as to be expected of the internet in general.

AP will have the last laugh, they'll thumb their nose at the naysayers, whether those are competitors, journalists or clients.

Nothing gets done by standing still. I don't personally like the BP model (but I love the 42mm Concept) nor do I like most of the ROs with Toubillons stuck in the middle of the dial like an eye sore, but thank god that we don't all like the same thing.

Personally I subscribe to the ethos that if you aren't upsetting people then you aren't trying hard enough. I hope AP carries on upsetting people for years to come.

p.s.

Next year the RO has its 50th bday. There are going to be some big changes, not just dials, colours, cases, but serious innovations. If you thought that the vitriol around a Concept watch was a lot wait until next year when AP mess with the darling RO, then we'll see some real noise.

Well said.

It’s a dangerous game AP are playing, and time will tell I guess on whether they made the right decision letting FHB be the bull in the China shop.

With the exception of the punt on the RO back in the 70’s very few daring decisions have stood the test of time in the world of horology... the houses that are still standing have shown deference to tradition, being conservative even when bold, playing the long game. Am I wrong?

Clearly AP have given FHB carte blanche to go break things as you say.
Old 19 April 2021, 07:51 PM   #423
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

p.s.

I don't agree with this. It's a broad brush to imply the people who don't like the watch are die hard traditionalists that can't appreciate or don't understand what pushing the envelope is. It is a little condescending.

No one is against making big changes, you can however make changes and have a misstep. AP is not infallible and understanding that is better for the brand than the emperor-new-clothes approach where you surround yourself with sycophants who always find a reason to praise what you do. The broad consensus from the media, online users, casual clients and brand loyalists... (who couch their dislike of the watch in a politically correct - "excellent details and finishing and execution but but but ....I wouldn't buy one, I'll instead wait for my bland traditional basic RO allocation thank you")... is that it isn't their best work.

The ceramic OW and PC were both also pushing the envelope but turned out to be roaring successes and objects of genuine desire. Pushing the envelope isn't the issue here.

Let's be clear, AP's value is as a brand, not as a designer / manufacturer of watches. Hurting that brand will over time hurt the company. This watch, I my opinion, hurts the brand.

My 2c
xsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 09:07 PM   #424
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
I don't agree with this. It's a broad brush to imply the people who don't like the watch are die hard traditionalists that can't appreciate or don't understand what pushing the envelope is. It is a little condescending.

No one is against making big changes, you can however make changes and have a misstep. AP is not infallible and understanding that is better for the brand than the emperor-new-clothes approach where you surround yourself with sycophants who always find a reason to praise what you do. The broad consensus from the media, online users, casual clients and brand loyalists... (who couch their dislike of the watch in a politically correct - "excellent details and finishing and execution but but but ....I wouldn't buy one, I'll instead wait for my bland traditional basic RO allocation thank you")... is that it isn't their best work.

The ceramic OW and PC were both also pushing the envelope but turned out to be roaring successes and objects of genuine desire. Pushing the envelope isn't the issue here.

Let's be clear, AP's value is as a brand, not as a designer / manufacturer of watches. Hurting that brand will over time hurt the company. This watch, I my opinion, hurts the brand.

My 2c
So if you don't NOT like the BP then you are a sycophant? and those that don't like the BP are the self appointed guardians of AP's heritage?

Here's my final answer...

If AP stop making watches that I personally don't like then I personally won't buy one. If AP stop making watches that none of you like, but I do, then I could care less. I'm a customer, not a custodian of AP's brand and my hat isn't in the ring for FHB's job when he's fired

Did I upset anyone? If not, I clearly wasn't trying hard enough.
Old 19 April 2021, 09:12 PM   #425
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So if you don't NOT like the BP then you are a sycophant? and those that don't like the BP are the self appointed guardians of AP's heritage?

If AP stop making watches that I personally don't like then I personally won't buy one. If AP stop making watches that none of you like, but I do, then I could care less. I'm a customer, not a custodian of AP's brand and my hat isn't in the ring for FHB's job when he's fired

Clearly not what I said, but it's always better to start with a sensationalist response isn't it. If that's what you got from what I said then I agree, this should be a final answer.
Old 19 April 2021, 09:19 PM   #426
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Clearly not what I said, but it's always better to start with a sensationalist response isn't it. If that's what you got from what I said then I agree, this should be a final answer.
Go and re-read what you wrote. You categorised those that extol any virtue on the BP as being sycophantic.
Old 19 April 2021, 09:32 PM   #427
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Go and re-read what you wrote. You categorised those that extol any virtue on the BP as being sycophantic.
No I did not. What I said, paraphrasing in plain text, is that anyone that believes AP is infallible is indeed sycophantic, would you not agree? Verbatim:

AP is not infallible and understanding that is better for the brand than the emperor-new-clothes approach where you surround yourself with sycophants who always find a reason to praise what you do.

This is true for any brand or company. It is clear in black and white (literally) the I'm referring to the company.
Old 19 April 2021, 10:14 PM   #428
GS93108
"TRF" Member

If that’s what you think you said then so be it, but that’s not how it reads in the context of your post.
Old 19 April 2021, 10:43 PM   #429
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Ha!

That webpage screenshot is worth 1,000 words!
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 11:57 PM   #430
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:

Hublot sure seems to upset a lot of people, doesn't really translate very well into financial success huh? Only difference with AP is that they cozy up to Hollywood instead of footballers and have a better legacy than Hublot...for now. You know what they say, it takes years (or decades) to build a brand and 15 minutes to destroy it.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 12:16 AM   #431
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
You’re correct, the other brands are boring and wouldn’t dare to risk it. Try getting an appointment at an AP House right now, it’s never been so busy, the brand is currently experiencing hugely increased demand. 25 new killer releases and you guys have a problem with the 2 that relate to Black Panther which account for 256 watches and I suspect many of the most vocal here aren’t VIP enough to qualify for anyway so what’s the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love it!
Old 20 April 2021, 02:41 AM   #432
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Quote:
You’re correct, the other brands are boring and wouldn’t dare to risk it. Try getting an appointment at an AP House right now, it’s never been so busy, the brand is currently experiencing hugely increased demand. 25 new killer releases and you guys have a problem with the 2 that relate to Black Panther which account for 256 watches and I suspect many of the most vocal here aren’t VIP enough to qualify for anyway so what’s the problem?

Lol do you work for AP?
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:43 AM   #433
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i don't agree with this. It's a broad brush to imply the people who don't like the watch are die hard traditionalists that can't appreciate or don't understand what pushing the envelope is. It is a little condescending.

No one is against making big changes, you can however make changes and have a misstep. Ap is not infallible and understanding that is better for the brand than the emperor-new-clothes approach where you surround yourself with sycophants who always find a reason to praise what you do. The broad consensus from the media, online users, casual clients and brand loyalists... (who couch their dislike of the watch in a politically correct - "excellent details and finishing and execution but but but ....i wouldn't buy one, i'll instead wait for my bland traditional basic ro allocation thank you")... Is that it isn't their best work.

The ceramic ow and pc were both also pushing the envelope but turned out to be roaring successes and objects of genuine desire. Pushing the envelope isn't the issue here.

Let's be clear, ap's value is as a brand, not as a designer / manufacturer of watches. Hurting that brand will over time hurt the company. This watch, i my opinion, hurts the brand.

My 2c
+1
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 03:08 AM   #434
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Hublot sure seems to upset a lot of people, doesn't really translate very well into financial success huh? Only difference with AP is that they cozy up to Hollywood instead of footballers and have a better legacy than Hublot...for now. You know what they say, it takes years (or decades) to build a brand and 15 minutes to destroy it.
I'm fairly confident that a sold-out 250 piece limited edition will have about the same effect on APs legacy as Gerald Genta's Mickey Mouse and Goofy designs had on his. Quoted from Hodinkee, on the trade show Genta got kicked out of:

"They [the show managers] did not see things in this light. They were not prepared to let themselves be touched by such gentle reminiscences. They declared it made no difference that the models in question were made of gold and diamonds, adding coldly that such a serious exhibition as it was their privilege to administer had no room for mice, panthers (especially the pink variety) Popeye, and other unsuitable characters."

Looks like the same serious folks now hang around here.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 04:38 AM   #435
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The more and more closely I look at the Black Panther, the more I like it! Can’t help it, I think it’s magnificent!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 05:28 AM   #436
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
The more and more closely I look at the Black Panther, the more I like it! Can’t help it, I think it’s magnificent!
You sycophant!
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 05:42 AM   #437
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

Honestly Vince if you go to AP House they have 1 on display (a very special Black Panther display case) and I think if you saw the watch in person you’d be blown away. It actually makes me think that Patek is too conservative, too safe. AP is cool, I’ve never heard anyone describe a Patek as cool.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 05:44 AM   #438
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

It is magnificent. The craftsmanship that went into it is amazing.

That said, there are serious design flaws that are hard for me to ignore.

Also, I prefer something subtle but still ostentatious. It wasn't necessary to put a humanoid figure on the dial.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 06:03 AM   #439
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Variety is the spice of life and there is little to no doubt regarding APs ability to make fine timepieces. BP is a political statement and wasn't chosen simply because he is a Marvel character. Its a big gamble for an old guard watch maker, and this design is more akin to something from Roger Mille.
I doubt this piece alone will have much effect on AP but it may on their image and target audience. People don't buy Patek to be "cool", they buy Patek because its a dyed in wool fine timepiece with amazing craftsmanship. If "cool" was your game there are several expensive watches with skulls and blood etc... but doubtful they will stand the test of time.
Patek has ALOT more desirable pieces in their collection than AP so can't really compare the two.
Old 20 April 2021, 06:39 AM   #440
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
and this design is more akin to something from Roger Mille..

His lesser known brother Richard also makes some fine watches.

Old 20 April 2021, 06:57 AM   #441
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Wow you picked up my mistake, that's great for you. Should send screenshots of your AP love to your AD maybe they'll anoint you to buy a BP
Old 20 April 2021, 07:01 AM   #442
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
His lesser known brother Richard also makes some fine watches.

ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 07:07 AM   #443
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Lol guess I deserved that :)
Old 20 April 2021, 07:09 AM   #444
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Lol guess I deserved that :)

Sorry, all in good fun I hope.

Old 20 April 2021, 07:15 AM   #445
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Agreed Ash apologies getting heated its a fun hobby, they're all great companies at the end of the day
Old 20 April 2021, 05:17 PM   #446
SBC1986
"TRF" Member

Is this a joke? Is AP a serious company?
SBC1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 07:47 AM   #447
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly Vince if you go to AP House they have 1 on display (a very special Black Panther display case) and I think if you saw the watch in person you’d be blown away. It actually makes me think that Patek is too conservative, too safe. AP is cool, I’ve never heard anyone describe a Patek as cool.

Was going to try and visit in the next couple of weeks, motivation is even higher now!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 21 April 2021, 07:50 AM   #448
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Was going to try and visit in the next couple of weeks, motivation is even higher now!

Vince - they sold it. So you can go see the empty Black Panther display. I was told they might put a Code in there for me admire :-)
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:09 AM   #449
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Vince - they sold it. So you can go see the empty Black Panther display. I was told they might put a Code in there for me admire :-)

Damn them!!

Old 24 April 2021, 07:15 AM   #450
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Rag on the comic if you must, but we've heard the comments on the watch already...

https://hypebeast.com/2021/4/audemar...verbal-oh-hyuk