The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2021, 12:27 PM   #1
SteelCity
"TRF" Member

Ceramic Speculation

Hi folks. As has become a near nightly ritual, I’ve been casually browsing the AP website to scratch the itch waiting for my 15500 to arrive. I couldn’t help but notice that ceramic seems to be the hot new medium that AP is releasing a lot of their heavy hitters in, along with a few other options. Which got me to thinking- so far the ceramic offerings are/have been:

Diver 15707 (simple three hander)
ROO 44 Chronos (green,blue, and rose gold)
New Code 11:59 Chronos

and then the Royal Oaks which are either tourbillons, openworks, or PCs.

My question is, do you think AP will ever come around to selling Royal Oaks in ceramic configurations for the “mere mortals” like the standard three hander or chrono? If they held it as a rule to only do it for their grand complications or the like I would understand, but since they’ve done it with more standard movements in other lines I would think it’s almost inevitable. No?

Personally, I think a black ceramic 15500 with a gray dial or white ceramic with blue dial would be an absolute killer. Put a price point between the steel and gold models?

Thoughts/opinions?
SteelCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:31 PM   #2
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity View Post
Hi folks. As has become a near nightly ritual, I’ve been casually browsing the AP website to scratch the itch waiting for my 15500 to arrive. I couldn’t help but notice that ceramic seems to be the hot new medium that AP is releasing a lot of their heavy hitters in, along with a few other options. Which got me to thinking- so far the ceramic offerings are/have been:

Diver 15707 (simple three hander)
ROO 44 Chronos (green,blue, and rose gold)
New Code 11:59 Chronos

and then the Royal Oaks which are either tourbillons, openworks, or PCs.

My question is, do you think AP will ever come around to selling Royal Oaks in ceramic configurations for the “mere mortals” like the standard three hander or chrono? If they held it as a rule to only do it for their grand complications or the like I would understand, but since they’ve done it with more standard movements in other lines I would think it’s almost inevitable. No?

Personally, I think a black ceramic 15500 with a gray dial or white ceramic with blue dial would be an absolute killer. Put a price point between the steel and gold models?

Thoughts/opinions?
I hope the replacement for my much loved 15202 is in ceramic.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 11:22 PM   #3
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Personally I don't see a more "entry level" royal oak being manufactured in ceramic (applies to 15500 and 15202 or its replacement).

A ceramic RO takes 10x more production time (case & bracelet). My view is this will remain a material for more expensive products such as QP. For ex, they had to reduce ceramic QP production given the launch of the ceramic skeleton.

Just not enough capacity and a question of optimizing revenues.

My 2 cents based on different conversations.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 11:32 PM   #4
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
Personally I don't see a more "entry level" royal oak being manufactured in ceramic (applies to 15500 and 15202 or its replacement).

A ceramic RO takes 10x more production time (case & bracelet). My view is this will remain a material for more expensive products such as QP. For ex, they had to reduce ceramic QP production given the launch of the ceramic skeleton.

Just not enough capacity and a question of optimizing revenues.

My 2 cents based on different conversations.
From a cost perspective, they could increase the MSRP of the 15202 to say US$70K and still be under the reseller market for the current model.
Old 22 April 2021, 12:10 AM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was just day-dreaming about that yesterday.

CE 15500 with a nice dial would cause total mayhem - feeding frenzy worse than 15202, IMO (and I would camp out in front of the boutique, begging for one).
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 12:17 AM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post

CE RO on rubber strap then? They did the CE diver and ROO chronos, and the CE case Code chrono is cheaper than the gold ones.

CE openworked has a ~25k CHF premium to steel. Even a 45k CE RO would be a hit, I'm sure.

Would be a little odd though to combine it with the museum-piece movement in the 15202 though, although that would be worth entry for the 50th anniversary.
Old 22 April 2021, 03:48 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Would be a little odd though to combine it with the museum-piece movement in the 15202 though, although that would be worth entry for the 50th anniversary.[/QUOTE]
My "museum-piece" movement is always within 2 spd, allows a very thin case and has been with me in many sports (climbing, skiing, golf) with zero problems.
Old 22 April 2021, 03:56 AM   #8
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
My "museum-piece" movement is always within 2 spd, allows a very thin case and has been with me in many sports (climbing, skiing, golf) with zero problems.
Clearly, that's a term of affection
Old 22 April 2021, 06:04 AM   #9
shkure
Banned

A little bird told me that a ladies 34mm Ceramic RO is coming in the summer. Time and date only supposedly. I would be shocked if its not released alongside the 37 and 41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 07:56 AM   #10
SteelCity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
A little bird told me that a ladies 34mm Ceramic RO is coming in the summer. Time and date only supposedly. I would be shocked if its not released alongside the 37 and 41.
Very interesting. After thinking about this a while I actually reached out to my SA earlier this afternoon and posed him the question. His response was “nothing that I’m allowed to share at this time.” While not a confirmation, I feel like he would just say no if there was no talk or plans of it whatsoever. Guess I’ll just have to look forward for the next batch of releases sometime this summer...
Old 22 April 2021, 08:29 AM   #11
ragsk
Banned

I think it's a certainty that AP will release the 15500 in ceramic or the new Jumbo replacement. My bet is on the 15500.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 03:46 PM   #12
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
CE RO on rubber strap then? They did the CE diver and ROO chronos, and the CE case Code chrono is cheaper than the gold ones.

CE openworked has a ~25k CHF premium to steel. Even a 45k CE RO would be a hit, I'm sure.

Would be a little odd though to combine it with the museum-piece movement in the 15202 though, although that would be worth entry for the 50th anniversary.
any idea how much the CE Openworked is these days?
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:43 PM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
any idea how much the CE Openworked is these days?
Well, list is 77700 CHF, of course. But it's quite interesting that there has been nothing on C24 for a while (in fact, I can't find any for sale online, although I may be looking in the wrong places). It would seem that AP is making very few of them and doing a reasonable job of keeping them out of the hands of flippers. My boutique claimed they might get 1-2 per year.
Old 22 April 2021, 05:54 PM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

I'd love AP to make the 15202 in ceramic before it gets retired. The most iconic watch in their most advanced material. Simplicity at its best. But I don't think there will be a non-limited and regular-production RO two or three hander in ceramic.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 11:29 PM   #15
SteelCity
"TRF" Member

And a follow up less than three months later…

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...1266CE.01.html
Old 6 July 2021, 05:43 AM   #16
Zavier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And a follow up less than three months later…

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...1266CE.01.html
Oh wow! Damn! Just wow!!
Zavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 05:48 AM   #17
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Now that is stunning. But only 34mm !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 06:26 AM   #18
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post

The little bird was right :D

shkure is offline   Reply With Quote