The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2021, 06:03 PM   #31
zhqiang
"TRF" Member

Instead of the Azzurro Blue with Roman Numerals dial, go with the Blue stickers dial for the luminance
zhqiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 06:12 PM   #32
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Both lovely. The blue would edge it slightly for me.

You won’t get discount
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:01 PM   #33
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Both are gorgeous but Wimbledon dial is so unique, I would go with that.

I think it would be better to acquire from Rolex boutique and start your relationship with them for future purchase. I don’t think there is any discount that you can get for this timepiece.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:43 PM   #34
Becweb
Banned

Go to your authorized dealer, sit with them and go through the catalogue with them. Show interest in the specific model you want (apparently DJ) and enquire about the model you really want - perhaps they could get it for you in a short period of time
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 11:05 PM   #35
jpwv
Banned

I didnt think I was a DJ fan until I recently saw a blue, sticks dial. That would be my choice as I am not a fan of the roman numerals, but the Wimbledon dial is cool! Blue seems more classic and long lasting to me though.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 11:06 PM   #36
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
The Bay Area is packed w/ digerati millionaires - who've gobbled up the inventory supply of Rolex for years. That people are telling you to establish a relationship w/ a local Bay Area Rolex AD is just nonsense. Seattle and Vancouver are also extremely low inventory.

I understand they are trying to be all positive ( and I'm just a dark cloud over here ) but seriously you've got a sliver of a % chance of getting the watch you want in time for graduation. Could it happen ? Yes. Statistically it could. But I'm saying the odds of it happening are very very low.
a man with two watches is never really sure.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 11:09 PM   #37
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Whatever you do, don't wear it to your first job interview!

Congrats BT KID!

Aim high, shoot for the sky!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:33 AM   #38
lutchki
Banned

I personally would take the white stick dial on jubilee (I know that wasn’t one of the choices )

Regarding the AD it’s probably better going gray for a DJ. First because the AD will make you go through hell and back to get even that, and they will likely make you feel indebted to them your whole life. Second you may get discount by gray. You’ll never get a discount by AD.

Congrats and welcome.
lutchki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:51 AM   #39
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post
The Bay Area is packed w/ digerati millionaires - who've gobbled up the inventory supply of Rolex for years. That people are telling you to establish a relationship w/ a local Bay Area Rolex AD is just nonsense. Seattle and Vancouver are also extremely low inventory.

I understand they are trying to be all positive ( and I'm just a dark cloud over here ) but seriously you've got a sliver of a % chance of getting the watch you want in time for graduation. Could it happen ? Yes. Statistically it could. But I'm saying the odds of it happening are very very low.
You say that, but meanwhile there are plenty of people purchasing Submariners without significant wait or purchase history around here.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 01:39 AM   #40
joegusmano
"TRF" Member

If you plan on building a collection, don't go grey. Stop in a local AD every few weeks and eventually your DJ will show up. If not, I'm not sure I would go with the fluted jubilee as my only watch. My first watch was a DJ 41 fluted jubilee blue stick dial in 2018 to celebrate my college graduation. Still love it to this day. However, it does look a bit ridiculous with some outfits. It's just too flashy for everyday wear. Also, I do agree with the sentiments above that the Wimbledon works better with any outfit. But, if you do go with the blue, it may just inspire you to add a few more pieces in the future. That's precisely why I later added a Hulk and SD43. Congrats in advance.
joegusmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 01:57 AM   #41
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Congrats on your upcoming purchase...the first one's always most exciting (IMHO). I like both but the blue dial romans is my pick...I'm a bit biased though. Cheers
Old 23 April 2021, 03:28 AM   #42
BerkTownKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Whatever you do, don't wear it to your first job interview!

Congrats BT KID!

Aim high, shoot for the sky!
This advice is GOLD!
BerkTownKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 03:47 AM   #43
t60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post

Not true. Not everyone walking around here is a millionaire, and the millionaires don't run into Rolex ADs like a buffet. A friend of mine bought a Sub C date in 2016 at a 5% discount. Later that year discounts disappeared (of course) and inventory slowly went away, but that's Rolex-wide, not specific to the Bay Area. And yes, he did establish a relationship, as he was able to get an SD43 last year after a 3 month wait. They remembered him well.
t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 04:07 AM   #44
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

This isn’t mine but this gets my vote. This dial is phenomenal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 04:21 AM   #45
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
Not true. Not everyone walking around here is a millionaire, and the millionaires don't run into Rolex ADs like a buffet. A friend of mine bought a Sub C date in 2016 at a 5% discount. Later that year discounts disappeared (of course) and inventory slowly went away, but that's Rolex-wide, not specific to the Bay Area. And yes, he did establish a relationship, as he was able to get an SD43 last year after a 3 month wait. They remembered him well.
His story is not unique either. There are plenty of people purchasing Subs with decent wait times and little to no purchase history/relationship around the Bay area.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 05:32 AM   #46
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Either option is good. Consider how the color options will supplement your daily and professional attire. And don't think TOO hard. It likely won't be your last Rolex, but rather a stamp on particular period of your life that you can look back and reminisce upon.
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 06:19 AM   #47
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
To any Cal grad, I used to say congratulations on graduating from the best university ever.
But that simple statement brought out all the crazies from places like Harvard and Yale.
So I'll just say congratulations on graduating from the finest public university in the world!
You deserve a DJ!
Old 23 April 2021, 08:41 AM   #48
jaxex
Banned

Azzurro Blue looks amazing in person, and since you also like it, I think you should go for it.
jaxex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 09:23 AM   #49
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Why not go all the way and add some shine to your first watch :)

Either watch you choose is a winner , big congrats !

126334Blue//116710BLNR//116500White//116622Rhodium//Cartier Drive Moonphase//Cartier Santos ADLC
Old 23 April 2021, 09:27 AM   #50
ajw99
"TRF" Member

I love azzurro, which pretty much always looks like a true blue (unlike the regular blue dial which to my eyes often looks essentially black except under direct light). The only tough thing about azurro is zero lume, so if in darker conditions, can't see the time at all. After azzurro, my favorite is then wimbledon, warts and all! Whatever you get, enjoy!!
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 10:22 AM   #51
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Sticks for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4B4813AD-9A2F-4C2B-98DB-00152FFB2274.jpeg (84.4 KB, 143 views)
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 10:47 AM   #52
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Some candy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue DJ St Thomas copy.jpg (287.1 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Blue DJ NYC copy.jpg (222.9 KB, 134 views)
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 10:58 AM   #53
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats to you, and welcome to TRF! If you want most versatile, get silver, black or white. The blue is a great look. Also, would find one with the super jubilee concealed clasp, as I don't like the new style jubilee - could save you some money, too.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 11:09 AM   #54
Phahrenheit
"TRF" Member

i would suggest blue or black dial with batons.
Phahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 11:17 AM   #55
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
You say that, but meanwhile there are plenty of people purchasing Submariners without significant wait or purchase history around here.
I have a long history with multiple ADs over 40 years. I cannot get any of the Rolex watches I want at this point and haven’t seen a discount in many years. My last purchase was a 116613LB from a grey, went extremely smooth but I’m afraid my Rolex collecting may be at an end due to current market conditions! Good luck and congrats on your graduation!!
Old 23 April 2021, 02:18 PM   #56
LDN
"TRF" Member

Don’t over think! Definitely blue and stix dial!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 02:35 PM   #57
BespokebyBMO
Banned

Not a fan at all of the Roman numerals.
BespokebyBMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 05:47 PM   #58
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I'm a fan of the Datejust, but prefer it in the 36mm case. I'd suggest, since this is your first Rolex, you try on both sizes, to be sure you've got the best size for you. I am assuming the two watches you're considering are 41mm.

Wrist photographs are often deceptive. There's no substitute for trying both on and seeing them in person. For some, the 36mm is clearly too small, while for others the 41mm is clearly too big. That's easy enough to figure out. However, for many people, either size could work, and it's a closer call. That's where an experienced sales associate can be helpful. They can take a step back and see how the watch looks on you, overall. Even so, it's often a matter of taste...how much "wrist presence" you want the watch to possess. 36mm is the traditional size. The 41mm represents the trend to larger watches, for men and women. However, that may trend the other way (I'd guess Rolex thinks that's possible, given the change of the new Explorer from 39mm to its classic size, 36mm).

The size will affect the dial options. And, of course, dealer availability issues can arise. For your fist Rolex, I'd counsel against a grey market purchase. Just be patient with a good AD and you'll get your watch, brand new, with warranty card and all the trimmings. And, you will have started a potentially useful relationship with that AD.

Now, if you're set on the 41mm, and it really comes down to the two dials, I'd pick the blue. That's a gorgeous shade. I think over time it will hold its appeal. The green and slate is a novel combination...but you might grow weary of it. Whereas the blue, with the white gold Roman Numerals, is unquestionably a timeless look. (Obviously, this is subjective).

You must like Roman numerals. That's a matter of personal preference, too, of course. Personally, I prefer the batons, or sticks, as some call them. They seem less formal, to my eye, more utilitarian, simpler. Anyway, were it me--in 41mm, I'd choose the bright blue dial with the batons, with that fluted white gold bezel and jubilee bracelet. In 36mm, either the blue or the silver dial, with the batons and the rest.

When I bought my Datejust a few years ago, i was torn between a couple of options. One day, I found myself browsing in an AD in Alexandria, Virginia, while on a business trip. And, there was my Datejust. I knew it when I saw it. White gold fluted bezel, silver dial, jubilee bracelet, 36mm. I tried to talk myself out the silver dial, because I already had an Oyster Perpetual with the silver dial, also in 36mm. But, I just loved that combination in the Datejust. So, I bought it and am very glad I did.

Go with your emotional reaction to a watch, always, rather than "reason". Logic will sometimes suggest buying something you don't really want. So, follow your heart, logic be damned.

Regardless of which configuration you wind up with, the Datejust is a wonderful watch, whether one has one Rolex or 10. It's a classic and a keeper.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation...UC Berkeley...well done!
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 06:26 PM   #59
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I chose the 41 in SS with Romans, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet to match my wife’s 2008 DJ 26.

Had I been going solo and not matching without a doubt I would have gone for the 41 SS with smooth bezel, blue dial with markers and an oyster bracelet.

But I am very happy with our choice as the white Roman dial with the smooth bezel is amazing.

I think a discount would be impossible and even availability would be an issue,

Congratulations and good luck for the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5A776B07-A330-4077-B0EB-E07C595FFE2D.jpeg (211.8 KB, 95 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 07:01 PM   #60
wb55
"TRF" Member

Please read.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote