The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2018, 07:10 AM   #31
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
PM Prices?

My white gold Daytona with all links in weighs 222grams. I believe the platinum Daytona weighs around 290grams and bare in mind the platinum Daytona bezel is made of lightweight ceramic and my white gold bezel is around 10grams.

The SS Daytona weighs 142 grams.

[

QUOTE=Zakalwe;8675675]At the risk of turning this thread into a chemistry lesson...

Whilst you’re correct that Gold has a higher atomic weight, that means that the molar weight of gold is higher than the molar weight of platinum. Or to put it another way if you have an identical number of gold and platinum atoms, the gold will weigh more by a tiny fraction - circa 1%. However the poster you responded to said this:

And what he said is essentially correct. Per unit volume, platinum is significantly heavier, because it is denser than gold (21.45g/cm^3 vs 19.3g/cm^3). So if you take two identically sized watch cases, one made of pure platinum and the other made of pure gold, the platinum case will be circa 10% heavier. In reality platinum and gold watches are not pure elemental metal because these metals are too soft to be useful as watches and therefore because there is a lot more platinum in a 95% pt alloy watch case than there is gold in a 75% au alloy case, a platinum watch is even more than 10% heavier than the equivalent 18k gold watch.[/QUOTE]
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 10:18 AM   #32
guycord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA View Post
Actually, the atomic weight of gold is 196.97 while platinum is 195.08, which makes gold heavier. Platinum is #78 on the Periodic Table, and Gold is #79, so they are very close on a molecular level.
Incorrect. Gold is listed as 19.3t/m3, Platinum as 21.45t/m3.

Atomic weight and density are different measurements.
guycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:01 AM   #33
af_schulten
"TRF" Member

Watch: '62 Constellation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Why are Platinum Rolex's, so much more
expensive than the identical Gold version?
Two Possible Reasons:

1. Taking the Daytona as an example....
Using internet sourcing, the weight is 195g for WG version while 283g for platinum. Today's kitco.com gold and platinum prices has:
gold at $1278.40/oz
platinum at $885/oz

The WG Daytona is 18k, which means percentage gold is actually 75%, whereas Platinum Daytona is 95% platinum.
WG 195g x 0.75% = 146.25g (5.1588oz) of .999 (24k) Au:
$1278.40/oz*5.1588oz =$6595 of gold used in construction of watch
Pl 283g x 0.95% = 268.85g (9.4834oz) of .950 Pl:
$885/oz*9.4834oz =$$8393 of platinum used in construction of watch

This only accounts for value (according to purchase price) of metals, aside from scarcity/availability and required workmanship. Obviously the movement is the "same", which would account for null weight difference but I didn't dive that far.

2. Rolex gonna Rolex.
af_schulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:03 AM   #34
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Creating exclusivity and a perceived hierarchy of models.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:26 AM   #35
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by af_schulten View Post
Two Possible Reasons:

1. Taking the Daytona as an example....

Using internet sourcing, the weight is 195g for WG version while 283g for platinum. Today's kitco.com gold and platinum prices has:

gold at $1278.40/oz

platinum at $885/oz

The WG Daytona is 18k, which means percentage gold is actually 75%, whereas Platinum Daytona is 95% platinum.

WG 195g x 0.75% = 146.25g (5.1588oz) of .999 (24k) Au:

$1278.40/oz*5.1588oz =$6595 of gold used in construction of watch

Pl 283g x 0.95% = 268.85g (9.4834oz) of .950 Pl:

$885/oz*9.4834oz =$$8393 of platinum used in construction of watch

This only accounts for value (according to purchase price) of metals, aside from scarcity/availability and required workmanship. Obviously the movement is the "same", which would account for null weight difference but I didn't dive that far.

2. Rolex gonna Rolex.

The calculation above is based on weight not density. Theoretically, even though the two watches are different weights, the same amount of each metal would be used making the above difference in price much smaller.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:37 AM   #36
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Harder to work with than, Oystersteel?
Ever seen a fluted platinum dial?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:21 AM   #37
BOA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD
I think I understand now. Here's a pretty good link to a thread below that covers it pretty well. I had actually thought my 1 ounce bullion Platinum and Gold coins, both .9999 pure, were relatively the same size, but while they are the same diameter, the platinum is slightly thinner, hence more dense, like me. lol

https://www.pricescope.com/community...a-ring.123785/
BOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #38
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Shhht! I'm a rare elve
"There's a guy works down the watch shop, swears he's Elvish"

Is thatchoo Baz?

With apologies to Kirsty MacColl
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:42 AM   #39
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

You wonder why platinum watches are more expensive than gold when the price of the metal doesn't account for the difference, but you don't wonder why gold watches are more expensive than steel when the price of the metal doesn't account for the difference?
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:48 AM   #40
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
You wonder why platinum watches are more expensive than gold when the price of the metal doesn't account for the difference, but you don't wonder why gold watches are more expensive than steel when the price of the metal doesn't account for the difference?
Yours is obviously a solid point and is worth noting by anyone who thinks luxury watch prices are anything other than tenuously linked with fabrication costs.

However I think one answer is that some people, contrary to general perception, do not view platinum as being a more exclusive material than gold for the purposes of creating mechanical jewellery. It’s likely it’s these people who are doing most of the wondering.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:31 AM   #41
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Yes I do.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 02:45 AM   #42
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
At the risk of turning this thread into a chemistry lesson...

Whilst you’re correct that Gold has a higher atomic weight, that means that the molar weight of gold is higher than the molar weight of platinum. Or to put it another way if you have an identical number of gold and platinum atoms, the gold will weigh more by a tiny fraction - circa 1%. However the poster you responded to said this:

And what he said is essentially correct. Per unit volume, platinum is significantly heavier, because it is denser than gold (21.45g/cm^3 vs 19.3g/cm^3). So if you take two identically sized watch cases, one made of pure platinum and the other made of pure gold, the platinum case will be circa 10% heavier. In reality platinum and gold watches are not pure elemental metal because these metals are too soft to be useful as watches and therefore because there is a lot more platinum in a 95% pt alloy watch case than there is gold in a 75% au alloy case, a platinum watch is even more than 10% heavier than the equivalent 18k gold watch.
Carbon is carbon. Atomic weight 12. So graphite and diamond of same volume should weight the same? Absolutely not. It’s is all about how the atoms are structured together. So yes platinum will be heavier for the same volume.
Old 17 June 2018, 03:02 AM   #43
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingSubTT View Post
Carbon is carbon. Atomic weight 12. So graphite and diamond of same volume should weight the same? Absolutely not.
What?
If you read what I wrote again, you will see that I clearly did not imply that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingSubTT View Post
So yes platinum will be heavier for the same volume.
If you read what I wrote again, you will see that I clearly did say that.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 07:37 AM   #44
semi-ambivalent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Because Rolex uses rare elves to polish the platinum.
I've heard of this. The elves are applied by hand with a fine french chamois.
semi-ambivalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 08:19 AM   #45
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Platinum says, "My owner is discreet and understated, but classy. Quietly confident, but not ostentatious. Subtle and sensitive."

Either that, or, "My owner got tired of the Daytona wait, loves the color blue, and decided life was too short."

That’s the life philosophy we should all have!!!!

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:54 AM   #46
guycord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Platinum says, "My owner is discreet and understated, but classy. Quietly confident, but not ostentatious. Subtle and sensitive."

Either that, or, "My owner got tired of the Daytona wait, loves the color blue, and decided life was too short."

It says my Owner has cool looking watch. Very cool but you paid 3 to 4 times the price for commodity PMs per ounce and no amount of marketing or machining can hide that fact.

Give me an SS Daytona and the Sovs instead
guycord is offline   Reply With Quote